NATION

PASSWORD

Old Nation Names

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:39 am

Oh my Days wrote:Blacklisting mods, WA/UN writers, mod-deleted nations, founders and a few others (like Francos Spain and Maxtopia, as said before) seems like a good idea, it might eventually result in not many names being left though.

The bulk of those would be mod-deleted nations, which I believe the admins once estimated at ~30,000. Mods and specials would add less than 100, Proposal and Issue authors less than 500, and dead founders ... maybe 2k-3k tops?

So you're talking about perhaps 35,000 non-recoverable nations, plus 52,974 living nations as of this writing. Add in the nations created in the last 12-18 months (that being the usual period discussed before the names are free), and you might take the total up to 300,000.

Subtract that from the two million plus reserved nation names, and I think you'll have plenty to play with.

Oh my Days
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Oh my Days » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:42 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Oh my Days wrote:Blacklisting mods, WA/UN writers, mod-deleted nations, founders and a few others (like Francos Spain and Maxtopia, as said before) seems like a good idea, it might eventually result in not many names being left though.

The bulk of those would be mod-deleted nations, which I believe the admins once estimated at ~30,000. Mods and specials would add less than 100, Proposal and Issue authors less than 500, and dead founders ... maybe 2k-3k tops?

So you're talking about perhaps 35,000 non-recoverable nations, plus 52,974 living nations as of this writing. Add in the nations created in the last 12-18 months (that being the usual period discussed before the names are free), and you might take the total up to 300,000.

Subtract that from the two million plus reserved nation names, and I think you'll have plenty to play with.

That's plenty then, thanks!
Citizen of The East Pacific and Osiris

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 25, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:11 pm

Rasoana wrote:What about if all nations also had an I.D. number everyone could see. So, if say, I wanted a nation that is "dead & gone" I could get it, yet still not taking the nation's region control, posts, etc. And the I.D. number could be visible on the nation's page so no one got anyone else confused.

I don't believe they had a database at all when NS came online, and nations were identified solely by their name, not in the "sensible" way of "www.nationstates.net/nation=1" or the like. Hence, there's no way two nations can have the same name. If the release of old nation names occurs (I personally think it should), the old nation's data will be completely overwritten by the new nation's. Of course, now that Jolt's no longer in the picture, this shouldn't be much of an issue anymore.
30 | she/her | USA | ✡︎ | ☭ | ♫

I have devised a truly marvelous signature, which this textblock is too small to contain

Daynor
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 25, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Daynor » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:38 pm

So if a nation whose population was 4 billion came back after a year of CTE he couldn't have the 4 billion he earned back??? He must start all over?
Young Libertarian Conservative
Political Compass: (2.63,-1.44)
Delegate of the Conservative Coalition
Ambassador Franklin Tanner
ლ(゚д゚ლ)
Daynor

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 25, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:50 pm

I was thinking more in the "all forum/RMB links will now point to the new nation instead of the old one" sense, but yeah -- if someone comes back after a couple of years of being dead, they may have to start over with a new name, five million population, the works. Or they may not, if nobody's claimed the name in their absence and the means of implementing old name recovery allow for long-dead players to return (for instance, an old nation's information is not deleted until a new nation uses the same name -- although that would take up a lot more server space than most of the proposals).
30 | she/her | USA | ✡︎ | ☭ | ♫

I have devised a truly marvelous signature, which this textblock is too small to contain

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:43 am

Re keeping founders' names reserved, maybe that should only be while (and maybe for just a fairly short time after) the regions that they founded remain in existence?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Behaved
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Behaved » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:24 pm

Bears Armed wrote:Re keeping founders' names reserved, maybe that should only be while (and maybe for just a fairly short time after) the regions that they founded remain in existence?

If the nation was deleted for trolling or something, the name should be able to be reused, as long as the person is a new player. This would be checked based on flag, password and government type.
meow meow

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:57 pm

Bears Armed wrote:Re keeping founders' names reserved, maybe that should only be while (and maybe for just a fairly short time after) the regions that they founded remain in existence?

Mechanically that would be quite difficult. We'd have to tie the dying region process to some sort of cross-reference to the retired nation process (which we're much more likely to run as an occasional batch process than a daily thing). Maybe the admins can come up with a mechanism, but it sounds like a fair amount of work to me.

Daynor
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 25, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Daynor » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:59 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:

Mechanically that would be quite difficult. We'd have to tie the dying region process to some sort of cross-reference to the retired nation process (which we're much more likely to run as an occasional batch process than a daily thing). Maybe the admins can come up with a mechanism, but it sounds like a fair amount of work to me.

We could just get rid of founders then. That'd be simple! :hug:
Young Libertarian Conservative
Political Compass: (2.63,-1.44)
Delegate of the Conservative Coalition
Ambassador Franklin Tanner
ლ(゚д゚ლ)
Daynor

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:08 pm

Behaved wrote:If the nation was deleted for trolling or something, the name should be able to be reused, as long as the person is a new player. This would be checked based on flag, password and government type.

As to your qualifiers of flag, password and government type, those are quite easy to change. All obvious identifiers (and don't get me started by bringing up IP address - it's not remotely a panacea) can be changed by the user or are irrelevant.

If the nation was mod-deleted for cause, it stays deleted. We're not going to let someone reuse "Drunk Commies" or some similarly notorious nation simply because of the nature of his offense. Those nations have a history. Good or bad, it's not right for someone else to reuse a historical name and engender confusion.

Evil Wolf
Minister

Founded: Apr 28, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:30 pm

Who says what is or is not a "historical name"? Do we come up with a panel of old time NSers whose job it is to sit around and determine which nations are worth of historical preservation and which simply don't make the cut? :p
It's ok! You can trust me! I've been Commended!

Kryozerkia wrote:In the good old days raiding was illegal
Crazy Girl wrote:Invading was never illegal
[violet] wrote:There is supposed to be an invasion game.

Mallorea and Riva should be a Game Moderator Game Administrator.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical