NATION

PASSWORD

Dramatic change in People and Government statistics

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Hamudistan
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Dramatic change in People and Government statistics

Postby Hamudistan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:14 am

I've been absent for a few days and coming back I looked at my pie charts and they allocation has changed dramatically.

1.Before, the causes of death were about 57% "old age" and 43% "lost in wilderness". Suddenly it is 71% "old age", 12% "murder" and 18% "lost in wilderness". How did murder become such a big issue so fast?
    2.On the government expenditure, before, it was about equally distributed between education, public transport, government, healthcare , social policy, welfare and so on. Now it is 97% welfare, 1% public transport, 2% healthcare and 1% social policy. Huh?
    3.I usually had a 100% income tax, now I have NO income tax.

Some time back I had read that there can occur some funny stuff at extreme values of your statistics, but I also read, that these bugs had been straightened out. What is the problem here?
Last edited by Hamudistan on Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:24 am

6 days ago: Following new legislation in Hamudistan, the government is almost completely paralyzed by the recent abolishment of the tax code.

That'll be responsible for many of those changes. There's some discussion of that issue here, which is relevant.

Hamudistan
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Hamudistan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:58 am

Ok, in principle I understand. But, shouldn't the changes that I can effect with issues be possible in both directions with equal magnitude? What this means is, if I can abolish all tax completely with only one issue, why can't I instate a 100% tax with another issue? The way the issue is phrased also does not suggest that the tax itself is gone, only that the code will be rewritten from scratch.

I find the random effects of this issue a bit disturbing.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:12 am

Issues often have unintended or exaggerated consequences. If you think an issue that institutes a 100% tax rate is a good idea, write and submit one, and we'll consider it.

Hamudistan
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Hamudistan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:23 am

Sedgistan wrote:Issues often have unintended or exaggerated consequences. If you think an issue that institutes a 100% tax rate is a good idea, write and submit one, and we'll consider it.

I can see that issues can have unintended consequences, but these should not completely break anyone's play style. If an issue can have unintended consequences of this magnitude, then the game becomes completely unpredictable. SOME randomness is ok and also intended, but not complete randomness.

This specific issue is something I can not and will not recover from in a reasonable time frame. I think this is goodbye Nationstates, then, it was fun while it wasn't retarded.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:26 am

Hamudistan wrote:
Sedgistan wrote:Issues often have unintended or exaggerated consequences. If you think an issue that institutes a 100% tax rate is a good idea, write and submit one, and we'll consider it.

I can see that issues can have unintended consequences, but these should not completely break anyone's play style. If an issue can have unintended consequences of this magnitude, then the game becomes completely unpredictable. SOME randomness is ok and also intended, but not complete randomness.

This specific issue is something I can not and will not recover from in a reasonable time frame. I think this is goodbye Nationstates, then, it was fun while it wasn't retarded.

It's not fair to call it random. Abolish the tax code and drastic things happen, especially if you had 100% before.

There are unintended consequences, but they logically follow from the issue text. You may not agree with them (there are a few choices that have frustrated me), but they aren't random. They're justified.

Depending on your definition of 'reasonable timeframe', reverting it shouldn't take too long. 2 issues a day adds up.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:42 am

Luna Amore wrote:
Hamudistan wrote:

It's not fair to call it random. Abolish the tax code and drastic things happen, especially if you had 100% before.

There are unintended consequences, but they logically follow from the issue text.

Exactly what Luna said.

If an issue says or mentions x throughout the text, it's a good assumption that x will be effected.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:17 am

Hamudistan wrote:SOME randomness is ok and also intended, but not complete randomness.

Sudden end to taxation while the code is rewritten => sudden large drop in government income => sudden large drop in money spent on law-enforcement => more people [quite literally] getting away with murder.
That's not "complete randomness".
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical