NATION

PASSWORD

[REMOVED] NationStates Helper

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:03 pm

Auralia wrote:
Embolalia wrote:I think it would be unwise to postpone the debate. Postponing the usage of the script until the debate is resolved is wise, but as Auralia has said, there will come a day when this is again an issue.

I should add that I don't plan on suspending my personal usage of the script unless I'm ordered otherwise by the mods. I still find it quite useful.

I've created a separate thread to discuss the issue of mass telegrams and the World Assembly.

I created a post in Moderation asking for a split/rename of this thread since it didn't seem to make much sense to have us all rehash the arguments we've already made. *shrugs* We'll see what they elect to do, but I'll update my thread and link your new one.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:08 pm

Mousebumples wrote:
Auralia wrote:
I should add that I don't plan on suspending my personal usage of the script unless I'm ordered otherwise by the mods. I still find it quite useful.

I've created a separate thread to discuss the issue of mass telegrams and the World Assembly.

I created a post in Moderation asking for a split/rename of this thread since it didn't seem to make much sense to have us all rehash the arguments we've already made. *shrugs* We'll see what they elect to do, but I'll update my thread and link your new one.

That's not a bad idea. We'll see what they do.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:35 pm

We can't really split / merge the thread, as posts are always in chronological order. The new thread's OP would be buried. Let's just leave the new thread out there and see what happens.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:15 am

I think it was a bad move to remove your script, just because a few WA regulars don't like it. If it was buggy, that's one thing. But bowing to the pressure of three people? It's three people, using the same old argument that Luddites have been using in the other thread. The main issue that's cropped up regarding automation is that there's a lack of accessible tools. You made one, which helped to address that lack.

Automated telegrams are legal and condoned by NationStates. This isn't a grey area. It's not frowned upon by the rules. You're allowed to send telegrams via script at a rate of 3 per minute. We can have the discussion about automated campaigns, but that doesn't mean all scripts need to be removed beforehand.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:09 am

Glen-Rhodes wrote:I think it was a bad move to remove your script, just because a few WA regulars don't like it. If it was buggy, that's one thing. But bowing to the pressure of three people? It's three people, using the same old argument that Luddites have been using in the other thread. The main issue that's cropped up regarding automation is that there's a lack of accessible tools. You made one, which helped to address that lack.

Automated telegrams are legal and condoned by NationStates. This isn't a grey area. It's not frowned upon by the rules. You're allowed to send telegrams via script at a rate of 3 per minute. We can have the discussion about automated campaigns, but that doesn't mean all scripts need to be removed beforehand.

I may not remove it permanently; I just think that while this debate is going on, it's probably best to limit the usage of the script to yours truly.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:45 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:I think it was a bad move to remove your script, just because a few WA regulars don't like it. If it was buggy, that's one thing. But bowing to the pressure of three people? It's three people, using the same old argument that Luddites have been using in the other thread. The main issue that's cropped up regarding automation is that there's a lack of accessible tools. You made one, which helped to address that lack.

That's... not the main issue. You really don't pay attention to arguments raised against scripts.

Glen-Rhodes wrote:Automated telegrams are legal and condoned by NationStates. This isn't a grey area. It's not frowned upon by the rules. You're allowed to send telegrams via script at a rate of 3 per minute. We can have the discussion about automated campaigns, but that doesn't mean all scripts need to be removed beforehand.

Well this whole point just got cast into doubt now didn't it? I maintain the position I had before, telegram scripts are neither necessary nor beneficial to the WA as a whole, and have no place in the game.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:49 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Well this whole point just got cast into doubt now didn't it? I maintain the position I had before, telegram scripts are neither necessary nor beneficial to the WA as a whole, and have no place in the game.

Different ball game. Violet specifically said that her comments do not apply to WA auto-TG scripts, since the spam problem isn't as much of an issue.
Last edited by Auralia on Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:11 pm

Auralia wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Well this whole point just got cast into doubt now didn't it? I maintain the position I had before, telegram scripts are neither necessary nor beneficial to the WA as a whole, and have no place in the game.

Different ball game. Violet specifically said that her comments do not apply to WA auto-TG scripts, since the spam problem isn't as much of an issue.

Isn't as much of an issue... yet. Importance difference there.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:23 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Auralia wrote:

Isn't as much of an issue... yet. Importance difference there.

I'd argue it probably never will be, but can we move the discussion to this thread and leave this for discussion of my script?

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:28 pm

Auralia wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Isn't as much of an issue... yet. Importance difference there.

I'd argue it probably never will be, but can we move the discussion to this thread and leave this for discussion of my script?

Yup, already done.
Ideological Bulwark #253

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:31 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Auralia wrote:

Yup, already done.

Thanks.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical