NATION

PASSWORD

This IPO trading thing

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cromarty
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:01 am

Ularn wrote: Storefronts could actually charge for their goods, which would make the GE&T economy much more realistic and interesting. Currently, the board only consists of "I wish to buy 3,000 sammiches," "That will be $40,000," "Okay, here's the money" - even if everything is glamoured up with flowery prose and official looking letterheads. No-one really needs to keep an eye on their funds as long as they ensure that no single purchase goes over whatever the tracker says their GDP is. If my nation has a disposable income of $500 million then I could spend all of that on tanks at one storefront, then march over to another and spend the same amount again on guns at another storefront and since the two owners are unlikely to compare notes, no-one would be any wiser. Having shares or something similar in place as an in-game currency would be interesting as nations actually had a limit on how much they could spend on goods, requiring them to make storefronts of their own so they could get the funds to buy enough of those tanks that they want. At the same time, the actual tangible modification of some numbers resulting from it would make the experience more real and immersive.

In the rest of the diplomacy boards, having a currency would also add an interesting new dynamic to the game. Successful invaders might have the option to demand a tribute of shares from their newly annexed state, or certain unscrupulous nations could run an extortion racket and demand that a nation gives them a certain number of shares or face invasion. Allegiances looking to defend themselves could band their shares together to get themselves better equipment from GE&T which they might otherwise be unable to afford

No.

That's incredibly restrictive on RP. Not everyone rps at their NS population, and tying anything RP to Gameside stats restricts RP and stifles creativity.
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
<Koth>all sexual orientations must unite under the relative sexiness of madjack
Former Delegate of Osiris
Brommander of the Cartan Militia: They're Taking The Cartans To Isengard!
Кромартий

Ularn
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:03 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Ballotonia wrote:There's already been a number of threads on this subject as well, so it might be a good idea to search for those instead of rehashing all the same arguments again.

Merged.

Oops - didn't spot the other threads. Thanks Fris even if you are part of a corrupt incompetent conspiracy (jokes!)
ULARN INTERSTELLAR FEDERATION
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Broken World: Beastmasters | Of Zombies and Men
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

North Mack
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 27, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby North Mack » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:57 am

Cromarty wrote:
Ularn wrote: Storefronts could actually charge for their goods, which would make the GE&T economy much more realistic and interesting. Currently, the board only consists of "I wish to buy 3,000 sammiches," "That will be $40,000," "Okay, here's the money" - even if everything is glamoured up with flowery prose and official looking letterheads. No-one really needs to keep an eye on their funds as long as they ensure that no single purchase goes over whatever the tracker says their GDP is. If my nation has a disposable income of $500 million then I could spend all of that on tanks at one storefront, then march over to another and spend the same amount again on guns at another storefront and since the two owners are unlikely to compare notes, no-one would be any wiser. Having shares or something similar in place as an in-game currency would be interesting as nations actually had a limit on how much they could spend on goods, requiring them to make storefronts of their own so they could get the funds to buy enough of those tanks that they want. At the same time, the actual tangible modification of some numbers resulting from it would make the experience more real and immersive.

In the rest of the diplomacy boards, having a currency would also add an interesting new dynamic to the game. Successful invaders might have the option to demand a tribute of shares from their newly annexed state, or certain unscrupulous nations could run an extortion racket and demand that a nation gives them a certain number of shares or face invasion. Allegiances looking to defend themselves could band their shares together to get themselves better equipment from GE&T which they might otherwise be unable to afford

No.

That's incredibly restrictive on RP. Not everyone rps at their NS population, and tying anything RP to Gameside stats restricts RP and stifles creativity.

Oh hell, I thought this was a neat idea but then Cromarty came along and put down the final word. Damn, I guess we should all just go home.

Here's an idea I thought of. Uh what if people who didn't want to use it... well, didn't?. It's not like overnight there's suddenly going to be a forum-wide law that you HAVE to use IPO shares in GE&T OR ELSE. Why couldn't IPO's be reopened to the public, and let the the players decide what to do with it? If someone wants to charge shares for GE&T wares, cool. More power to them. If another storefront demands 4 billion imaginary internet cookies for a rifle, good for them too. It's not like RP'ers have ever been concerned with game stats as the be all and end all of what they can or cannot do, why would this be any different?

Do every one of you people who claim that re-introducing the IPO would stifle creativity make sure your nation adheres to the letter of the World Assembly too (assuming you're a member, that is)? Because it's really not that different in my eyes. I could just as easily claim that the WA would stifle creativity by FORCING RPers to follow all these dumb laws.
T H E S T E L L A R R E P U B L I C O F N O R T H M A C K
Forged in Fire, Reforged in Blood
[ DeviantArt | NS FT Discord | The Local Cluster | FT Advice and Assistance Thread | The State of the Galaxy ]

Ularn
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ularn » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:07 am

North Mack wrote:
Cromarty wrote:No.

Oh hell, I thought this was a neat idea but then Cromarty came along and put down the final word. Damn, I guess we should all just go home.

Here's an idea I thought of. Uh what if people who didn't want to use it... well, didn't?. It's not like overnight there's suddenly going to be a forum-wide law that you HAVE to use IPO shares in GE&T OR ELSE. Why couldn't IPO's be reopened to the public, and let the the players decide what to do with it? If someone wants to charge shares for GE&T wares, cool. More power to them. If another storefront demands 4 billion imaginary internet cookies for a rifle, good for them too. It's not like RP'ers have ever been concerned with game stats as the be all and end all of what they can or cannot do, why would this be any different?

Do every one of you people who claim that re-introducing the IPO would stifle creativity make sure your nation adheres to the letter of the World Assembly too (assuming you're a member, that is)? Because it's really not that different in my eyes. I could just as easily claim that the WA would stifle creativity by FORCING RPers to follow all these dumb laws.

This was my thinking as well. Having shares or some other in-game currency wouldn't prevent people from just carrying on as before if they wanted, whereas those who liked the idea could jump straight into it. Admittedly, the issue of people creating puppets for the sake of mining shares would be a problem to which no immediate solution springs to my mind.
ULARN INTERSTELLAR FEDERATION
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK | Q&A | EMBASSIES & FOREIGN OFFICE | #NSFT | #NSLegion | TRIPLICATE DEFENCE INDUSTRIES
P2tM
Broken World: Beastmasters | Of Zombies and Men
Jesus was a carpenter, so really I'm the one doing God's work - all anyone else cares about is what he got up to on the dole!

Previous

Return to Technical