NATION

PASSWORD

REGIONAL ISSUES

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Windsor dc
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

REGIONAL ISSUES

Postby Windsor dc » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:15 pm

Ok.it came to me that every 'active' region should have it's own issues.Maybe like: unfair government,nations controversy,criminality,Homosexuality,Human Rights,illegal immigration..etcPlease state your opinion below.
Countess Victoria

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:07 pm

Not sure what you're saying here....

But what is your definition of active?
Want to be a hero? Join The Grey Wardens - Help Us Save Nationstates
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Commended by Security Council Resolution #420 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
<Koth - 06/30/2020> I mean as far as GPers go, Tim is one of the most iconic

Windsor dc
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Windsor dc » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:23 pm

you know like doing they are online and ready then.Normally what you do with your nation everyday receive two issues a day.Basically the founder or the delegate can see the issues and discuss them with their government or all the nations.
Last edited by Windsor dc on Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Countess Victoria

Scoochi2
Envoy

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Scoochi2 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:29 am

Basically a WA for each region, where only the delegate/founder can vote?
And if you're in the region, you're automatically a member?

What if the delegate wants to accept one response but the founder wants to accept a different one?
Does one nation have more say than the other? Which? Why?
The problem with a UDP joke is that you have no idea if people got it.

Windsor dc
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Windsor dc » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:10 am

they will have to discuss it
Countess Victoria

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:19 am

Windsor dc wrote:you know like doing they are online and ready then.Normally what you do with your nation everyday receive two issues a day.Basically the founder or the delegate can see the issues and discuss them with their government or all the nations.

That's a terrible definition of active. Many regions don't keep delegates and don't use the founder much anyway. I can name you quite a bit of regions who's community's are focused around the forums

And what if the region does not wish to be bothered with them?

Honestly. This is way to complex of an idea to put in; especially with your limited explanation of it. It also seems extremely unnecessary since it would generally only be useful for more RP style regions.
Want to be a hero? Join The Grey Wardens - Help Us Save Nationstates
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Commended by Security Council Resolution #420 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
<Koth - 06/30/2020> I mean as far as GPers go, Tim is one of the most iconic

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:15 pm

The idea of regional issues has come up before. The best version (according to me) is where everyone in the region gets the same issue: e.g. a looming environmental disaster due to too many heavy polluter in the region. Each nation individually decides how to respond, as normal: do nothing, clean up industry, whatever.

Then, after a set period of time (say 5 days), consequences are imposed on everyone in the region based on the overall response. E.g. if enough nations elected to clean up industry, then the environmental disaster is averted, but if too many of them chose to keep polluting, then everyone's environment suffers.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:25 pm

[violet] wrote:The idea of regional issues has come up before. The best version (according to me) is where everyone in the region gets the same issue: e.g. a looming environmental disaster due to too many heavy polluter in the region. Each nation individually decides how to respond, as normal: do nothing, clean up industry, whatever.

Then, after a set period of time (say 5 days), consequences are imposed on everyone in the region based on the overall response. E.g. if enough nations elected to clean up industry, then the environmental disaster is averted, but if too many of them chose to keep polluting, then everyone's environment suffers.

Ooh, nice. Could we give it some prisoners dilemma touch as well?
The Blaatschapen should resign

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2004
Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:30 pm

Oh god, please don't make my nation's mechanics dependent on the decisions of other nations.

FAQ wrote:NationStates is a free nation simulation game. You create your own country, fashioned after your own ideals, and care for its people. Either that or you deliberately torture them. It's really up to you.
Bold is mine. I view regional issues, as discussed, are in the same vein as trade and war. This is a national politics game, not an international politics game, and I'd really like to see it kept that way.
[violet] wrote:You are definitely not genial.
[violet] wrote:Congratulations to Crushing Our Enemies for making the first ever purchase. :)

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:31 pm

Crushing Our Enemies wrote:Oh god, please don't make my nation's mechanics dependent on the decisions of other nations.

FAQ wrote:NationStates is a free nation simulation game. You create your own country, fashioned after your own ideals, and care for its people. Either that or you deliberately torture them. It's really up to you.
Bold is mine. I view regional issues, as discussed, are in the same vein as trade and war. This is a national politics game, not an international politics game, and I'd really like to see it kept that way.

Could be an opt-in thing?

Like you check a box in settings or something.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:34 pm

I think we need to work on space bar awareness first. :roll:
Ostroeuropa wrote:Two shirtless men on a pushback with handlebar moustaches and a kettle conquered India, at 17:04 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They rolled the bike up the hill and demanded that the natives set about acquiring bureaucratic records.

Des-Bal wrote:Modern politics is a series of assholes and liars trying to be more angry than each other until someone lets a racist epithet slip and they all scatter like roaches.

NSLV wrote:Introducing the new political text from acclaimed author/yak, NEO ARCAD, an exploration of nuclear power in the Middle East and Asia, "Nuclear Penis: He Won't Call You Again".

This is the best region ever. You know you want it.

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:34 pm

Sanctaria wrote:
Crushing Our Enemies wrote:Oh god, please don't make my nation's mechanics dependent on the decisions of other nations.

Could be an opt-in thing?

Like you check a box in settings or something.

I think that if this were implemented, it would have to be. Furthermore, some measures would have to be taken to prevent people filling a region with their own puppets so as to influence the outcome of such issues. Particularly mean-spirited raiders could even try and sabotage people's nations by doing so. All in all, I think this is a bad business to be getting into.
[violet] wrote:Congratulations to Crushing Our Enemies for making the first ever purchase. :)

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:42 pm

So I assume that you do not have a WA then ;)

But that actually brings me to a point, this would indeed make regions a bit like mini-WAs in that the decision of the majority will influence your own country.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Windsor dc
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Windsor dc » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:01 pm

[violet] wrote:The idea of regional issues has come up before. The best version (according to me) is where everyone in the region gets the same issue: e.g. a looming environmental disaster due to too many heavy polluter in the region. Each nation individually decides how to respond, as normal: do nothing, clean up industry, whatever.

yes i meant exactly that :) thought i was alone.it spices up the fun in the regions
Countess Victoria

PurDunamis
Political Columnist

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby PurDunamis » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:34 am

I've got to agree with this.

I've never joined the WA, since I have no interest in having my nation altered by the questionable decision making powers of the rest of humanity. Regional issues without some sort of opt-out, would leave nations not interested with the sole option of creating a region for themselves, pass-wording it and living in splendid isolation.

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:10 am

Even with an opt-out, to prevent people abusing it with puppets, you would need a way to ensure that a player only controlled one opted-in nation per region, which seems like WAY more trouble than it's worth. Even then, it could still be abused by raiders, who would then be able to manipulate the mechanics of other nations against their will. I'll let that sink in a moment.

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:22 am

So like... cooperation and defection... there would of course be free-riders in such a system and if the region was rational.. it would probably be a shithole.... innnnteresting. I like the sound of it, It would probably be very good for regions like DSA and SLU that mandate certain types of governments and strongly pursue the left ideology, since their members there would be more apt to cooperate.
Last edited by Unibot II on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Swkoll
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Swkoll » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:56 pm

Crushing Our Enemies wrote:Even with an opt-out, to prevent people abusing it with puppets, you would need a way to ensure that a player only controlled one opted-in nation per region, which seems like WAY more trouble than it's worth. Even then, it could still be abused by raiders, who would then be able to manipulate the mechanics of other nations against their will. I'll let that sink in a moment.

The easy way is that only WA nations get to partake in these decisions.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Dec 21, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Need an Ignore Cannon?
Embassy NS wiki page
Current Wars: None as of now
Member of: Nothing right now
Defcon: 1 [2] 3 4 5
6*9=42
February 17, 2011: Never Forget.
Copy and paste this into your sig if you remember the old F7.
97% of People of NS won't notice I did my math wrong, if you are the 1% who did, copy and paste this into your sig.

I lost the Game.
Zonolia wrote:You are without doubt the smartest NS player ever...
Montiar wrote:Best f*cking idea for a storefront ever.

Bluth Corporation wrote:You know, I used to be anti-Obama.

Then the anti-Obama folks opened their mouths and I listened to what they had to say.

Now I'm pro-Obama.

Campinia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Campinia » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:48 pm

Swkoll wrote:
Crushing Our Enemies wrote:Even with an opt-out, to prevent people abusing it with puppets, you would need a way to ensure that a player only controlled one opted-in nation per region, which seems like WAY more trouble than it's worth. Even then, it could still be abused by raiders, who would then be able to manipulate the mechanics of other nations against their will. I'll let that sink in a moment.

The easy way is that only WA nations get to partake in these decisions.

And what do you think raiders are? They don't do much raiding on non-WA puppets :p
Heeding the Call, One and For All: UDL

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:43 pm

Campinia wrote:
Swkoll wrote:The easy way is that only WA nations get to partake in these decisions.

And what do you think raiders are? They don't do much raiding on non-WA puppets :p

Precisely my point. Unlike the WA, where the odd dozen votes one way or another doesn't matter a bit, in a regional system, invaders could have a massive effect on the vote.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical