NATION

PASSWORD

World Assembly upgrade

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

World Assembly upgrade

Postby [violet] » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:15 pm

I've just installed a new version of the World Assembly code, which will hopefully clear up those long-running problems with displayed vote tallies sometimes not matching the reality.

It's possible I've introduced new bugs, though, so please let me know of any strangeness!

A couple of side-effects hardcore WA watchers may notice: The vote tallies can change during the daily update, as each region updates and Delegates come and go (or gain/lose endorsements), rather than only at the very end. Also, the Delegate Votes list is always sorted, rather than having that last hour or so's votes unsorted at the very end.

This is also why the game was down for about 5 minutes before. Progress!

Edit: Also the reason why the overnight daily update started 5 minutes late today.
Last edited by [violet] on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alvalero
Envoy

Founded: Jun 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Alvalero » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:20 pm

Neat update.
I was wondering why i couldn't view NS for a few minutes, but now its back :lol:
Zander Cerebella
Prince of Aarhus

Duke of New Hyperion(Wintreath)
Autarch of New Hyperion

Former Delegate, Vice Delegate & Statsminister of Balder

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:37 pm

Very cool update [violet]! :)
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:53 am

The graphs showing the voting tallies appear to be broken - they're stuck on the same voting level, and the SC one isn't even recording the 'against' votes.

Waldsee
Civilian

Founded: Mar 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Possible bug in World Assembly vote graph

Postby Waldsee » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:32 am

The voting graph for the current Security Council resolution (http://www.nationstates.net/page=sc) is showing some strange behavior. The graph currently being displayed clearly does not reflect the current voting state, since it does not show any "votes against" the resolution, but the vote count currently stands at 1,655 "for", 2,164 "against". The graph also displays a highly unlikely characteristic (a significant slope discontinuity), and does not seem to have been updated since early on Day 1 of voting.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008

Postby Sanctaria » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:08 pm

Did that upgrade also include an extended Recent Events?

Last edited by Sanctaria on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:13 pm

On it.

Unibotian WA Mission
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WA Mission » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:14 pm

What's the order of the proposal approvers (for the queue)? It seems almost random?
Last edited by Unibotian WA Mission on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
General Halcones wrote: Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
✯ Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:30 pm

Unibotian WA Mission wrote:What's the order of the proposal approvers (for the queue)? It seems almost random?

Uh, yeah. Sorry about that. Side-effect. I can fix it.

You want chronological order, right?

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:31 pm

The graphs are updating again, although the current Security Council resolution one got screwed up, and its Votes Against line is about 18 hours behind where it should be.

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:32 pm

[violet] wrote:You want chronological order, right?

Yeah. *nodnod* Makes it easier to campaign against a resolution without double-telegramming someone by accident.

Thanks!
Last edited by Unibot II on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:36 pm

Okay, I think everything is as fixed as it's gonna get.

In the Proposals queue, Delegate names are listed in chronological order, but only from now on. That is, if you approve a proposal now, your name will be listed last, but if you approved it earlier, it could be anywhere.

The Security Council Resolution "Condemn New Scorpio" has its graphs in sync again, although it still has Day 1 oddities caused by that period where the graph stopped updating.

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:51 pm

[violet] wrote:Okay, I think everything is as fixed as it's gonna get.

In the Proposals queue, Delegate names are listed in chronological order, but only from now on. That is, if you approve a proposal now, your name will be listed last, but if you approved it earlier, it could be anywhere.

The Security Council Resolution "Condemn New Scorpio" has its graphs in sync again, although it still has Day 1 oddities caused by that period where the graph stopped updating.

I assume that this is why the graph for my Clean Prostitute Act has a flat spot too.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:00 pm

Flibbleites wrote:I assume that this is why the graph for my Clean Prostitute Act has a flat spot too.

Looks like most people voted early so they could go out and find a clean prostitute.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Postby Mousebumples » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:17 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Flibbleites wrote:I assume that this is why the graph for my Clean Prostitute Act has a flat spot too.

Looks like most people voted early so they could go out and find a clean prostitute.

Or a dirty one, before such prostitutes were outlawed ....
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:44 pm

When someone goes to vote on a World Assembly proposal, the vote of that person's regional delegate is shown.

Similarly, would it be possible to add something that shows how all of the nations of your region have voted?

Example: Your region's WA members have voted 8 to 5 FOR this resolution.

This would allow delegates to see how the nations of their regions are voting, and it would allow regular WA members to see how their delegates are voting in comparison to the opinions of the regional majority.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:52 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:When someone goes to vote on a World Assembly proposal, the vote of that person's regional delegate is shown.

Similarly, would it be possible to add something that shows how all of the nations of your region have voted?

This would allow delegates to see how the nations of their regions are voting, and it would allow regular WA members to see how their delegates are voting in comparison to the opinions of the regional majority.

Lordieth has that idea in a separate thread... on this forum... and its on the front page...
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:58 pm

Mahaj wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:When someone goes to vote on a World Assembly proposal, the vote of that person's regional delegate is shown.

Lordieth has that idea in a separate thread... on this forum... and its on the front page...

Oh, I see it. Thanks. :)
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:23 am

I'm not sure why, because your changes broke RealVotes. :[ Congratulations on getting me to rewrite it, which is something I've been putting off for as long as possible.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical