NATION

PASSWORD

Rules for Nation Names

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Rules for Nation Names

Postby Coccygia » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:40 pm

What are the rules for nation names? I am trying to create a nation named Fubar, but the name is taken. I thought I would change it to, say, Fubar (Snafu) (like the Congo (Brazzaville)) to distinguish it, or Fubar/Snafu or Fubar-Snafu. But all these names were rejected for "invalid characters". The last one surprises me since hyphens appear to be acceptable.
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

August
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby August » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:46 pm

Last edited by August on Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|| AA Founder - Retired.

My Projects: AugustinAndroid (Server) | Augustin Alliance (Server) | NS Leaders (Server) | Tech suggestions | About me
I heard it was you / talkin' 'bout a world where all is free / it just couldn't be / and only a fool would say that...

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:52 pm

The only special characters I'm aware of that are allowed in the game are the Space, Dash, and Underscore. The rest are restricted because they have the potential to be confused with code operators, or might be used in security breaches like injection attacks.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:31 pm

Well, it's not really a security issue. It's possibly an impersonation issue, if we allowed both Frisbeeteria and Frisbeetería to co-exist (second one has an acute on the "i"). But historically it's because our silly file-based architecture made special characters in names difficult to handle.

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:06 pm

Meh. I'm going with Fubar-Snafu, although the name is really Fubar (Snafu).
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

Mesoland
Senator

Founded: Feb 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mesoland » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:12 pm

[violet] wrote:Well, it's not really a security issue. It's possibly an impersonation issue, if we allowed both Frisbeeteria and Frisbeetería to co-exist (second one has an acute on the "i"). But historically it's because our silly file-based architecture made special characters in names difficult to handle.

So does that mean that special characters will never be available to use in nation names?

Unibot II
Senator

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot II » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:24 pm

[violet] wrote:Well, it's not really a security issue. It's possibly an impersonation issue, if we allowed both Frisbeeteria and Frisbeetería to co-exist (second one has an acute on the "i"). But historically it's because our silly file-based architecture made special characters in names difficult to handle.

Eventually those people are found though and when you do, you get another obvious trouble-maker to feed the server goblin. *shrugs*

Coming from someone who seems to be impersonated every month.
Vocenae wrote:Unibot, you have won NS.
General Halcones wrote:Look up to Unibot as an example.
Member of Gholgoth | The Capitalis de Societate of The United Defenders League (UDL) | Org. Join Date: 25/05/2008
Unibotian Factbook // An Analysis of NationStates Generations // The Gameplay Alignment Test // NS Weather // How do I join the UDL?
World Assembly Card Gallery // The Unibotian Life Expectancy Index // Proudly Authored 9 GA Res., 14 SC Res. // Commended by SC#78;
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Duty is Eternal, Justice is Imminent: UDL

Unibot 2
Civilian

Founded: Jan 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot 2 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:43 am

Unibot II wrote:Coming from someone who seems to be impersonated every month.

Oh you're one to talk...

;)

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:15 pm

Mesoland wrote:

So does that mean that special characters will never be available to use in nation names?

Who knows what the future holds? I just know it's not easy to implement.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical