NATION

PASSWORD

More control over existing legislation?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Brian Cox
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

More control over existing legislation?

Postby Brian Cox » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:26 pm

I haven't seen this suggested but I'm sure it has been in the past so I would like to know, why is there no way to change legislation without waiting for the issue to come up again? Considering we get a maximum of 2 issues per day (and I understand why this is), it seems like I have little control over my own nation state.

I'm not proposing the idea of being able to answer any issue at any time, I'm saying that we should be able to go back and re-consider issues that we've already answered. Seeing as the legislation already exists, and the issue has already been brought up, surely it makes sense to have a system whereby you can review your legislation at any time and alter it to suit your ideology. This would also solve the problem of people getting unexpected legislation after responding to an issue (e.g. accepting that people should do a compulsory year in the military, then having legislation that makes it legal for kids as young as 12 to be conscripted).

As I said, I'm assuming this has already been brought up, so I'd like to know the reasons for this not existing.
Last edited by Brian Cox on Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: I am not the real Brian Cox.

Prey Chi To
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Prey Chi To » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:31 pm

I feel like one compromise between having no way to bring up certain legislature again and just changing everything willy-nilly would be to program in something along the lines of requesting an issue to reoccur that would then prompt it to be an issue in the near future. Does that sentence make sense, or was it too convoluted?

Brian Cox
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Brian Cox » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:34 pm

No that makes sense, kind of like having an "important issues" section where you can tick the boxes of the topics you are most interested in answering, and so having the frequency of those topics increased. So if you want to focus your legislation more on the military, you get more military issues come up and don't have to go through weeks of legislation on environmental issues and the media before a military one finally comes up.

Chulainan
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chulainan » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Brian Cox wrote:No that makes sense, kind of like having an "important issues" section where you can tick the boxes of the topics you are most interested in answering, and so having the frequency of those topics increased. So if you want to focus your legislation more on the military, you get more military issues come up and don't have to go through weeks of legislation on environmental issues and the media before a military one finally comes up.

I agree with this statemant and welcome to nation states
The Net is vast and infinite - Major Makoto Kusanagi
Major Motoko Kusanagi: If we all reacted the same way, we'd be predictable, and there's always more than one way to view a situation. What's true for the group is also true for the individual. It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness. It's slow death.
Puppet Master: We have been subordinate to our limitations until now. The time has come to cast aside these bonds and to elevate our consciousness to a higher plane. It is time to become a part of all things.

Agymnum wrote:
The Laughing Goats wrote:Because it's gross. Duh.

I find shitting to be gross.

Shitting is therefore wrong. It should be banned and no one should be allowed to take a shit. Ever.

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:31 pm

Issues repeat, you can always change it later.

Brian Cox
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Brian Cox » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:04 pm

The Murtunian Tribes wrote:Issues repeat, you can always change it later.

You're missing the point, I mean there should be an easier method of changing it, as waiting weeks for an issue to come back up can be quite frustrating when you have certain priorities as a government. If you're going through an economic crisis you don't want to be answering issue after issue on relatively unimportant topics while you wait for a chance to change your legislation.

Holaloperho
Envoy

Founded: Jan 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Holaloperho » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:50 am

You may suggest a good idea, but there is a few problem about it. First of all, it will make the game become unrealistic because everyone will be able to test the effect of each choice in the issue and change it which make the game lost the effect of causing people to make choice that make unintended effect which can also happen in real life. Furthermore, it will also make the game become boring because every can now make their "ideal state" in no time which will cause the game to lost the joy and realisticness for building your nation step by step.

Sorry for being a bit mean to criticize you like this and using a bunch of run-on sentence, but I just don't think it will work
It is painful to know too much;
yet I always keen to know more.

Please join the region of Sanctuary, we provide protection for nations that have been ejected and banned because their region have been invaded.
Thank you :)

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:30 am

Holaloperho wrote:You may suggest a good idea, but there is a few problem about it. First of all, it will make the game become unrealistic because everyone will be able to test the effect of each choice in the issue and change it which make the game lost the effect of causing people to make choice that make unintended effect which can also happen in real life. Furthermore, it will also make the game become boring because every can now make their "ideal state" in no time which will cause the game to lost the joy and realisticness for building your nation step by step.

Sorry for being a bit mean to criticize you like this and using a bunch of run-on sentence, but I just don't think it will work

That I hadn't thought of...it would make issue effects too easy to figure out.

Brian Cox
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Brian Cox » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:18 am

Holaloperho wrote:You may suggest a good idea, but there is a few problem about it. First of all, it will make the game become unrealistic because everyone will be able to test the effect of each choice in the issue and change it which make the game lost the effect of causing people to make choice that make unintended effect which can also happen in real life. Furthermore, it will also make the game become boring because every can now make their "ideal state" in no time which will cause the game to lost the joy and realisticness for building your nation step by step.

You make a good point, I hadn't really thought about it like that. But then, what if a limit is placed on it? What if you could only make one legislation change a week? That way you still have all the unintended effects and it would still take a long time to achieve an "ideal state", but it gives you the chance to make slight changes when necessary and take a little more control. Especially in a dictatorship, I think control is important. I don't find it very realistic as it is that I'm a dictator but I can rarely make changes to my own policy and I have to rely on the issue coming up again, which is just luck and patience. Being able to make 1 change a week would make people think tactically about what they want to change and add a nice element to the gameplay.

I also think that selecting a few "government priorities" for issues so that certain topics come up more often would be nice, however as you say there is the issue of keeping it realistic. Other issues would still come up obviously, just maybe not quite as often.

As for making issue effects easy to figure out... they already (kind of) are!
Last edited by Brian Cox on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical