NATION

PASSWORD

Jong-Il is not a family name.

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
GreatKorea
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Jong-Il is not a family name.

Postby GreatKorea » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:47 am

"Jong-Il" is one of random family names now in NationStates. It's wrong.

In Northeast Asia, family name + given name. Kim Jong-Il's family name is Kim not Jong-Il. Jong-Il is the given name.

Please remove Jong-Il in the list of family names (last names in Western countries). (Actually, as a user from South Korea, I'm uncomfortable because there are South Korean people's name and there is only Kim Jong-Il, the dead tyrant of North Korea. However, I don't demand to remove Kim Jong-Il's name because the users are from various countries. I just request to change Jong-Il as a given name or replace it with Kim.)

PS: The formation of northeast Asian (Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, etc.) names is "family name" + "given name" (there's no middle name). However, some of them are written in the western order in English. For example, Choo Shin-soo, an MLB pitcher from South Korea, is usually written as "Shin Soo Choo" in the United States. His real full name is Choo Shin-soo (Choo is his family name. Shin-soo is his given name, not his middle + given names.)

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:41 pm

GreatKorea wrote:"Jong-Il" is one of random family names now in NationStates. It's wrong.

In Northeast Asia, family name + given name. Kim Jong-Il's family name is Kim not Jong-Il. Jong-Il is the given name.

Please remove Jong-Il in the list of family names (last names in Western countries). (Actually, as a user from South Korea, I'm uncomfortable because there are South Korean people's name and there is only Kim Jong-Il, the dead tyrant of North Korea. However, I don't demand to remove Kim Jong-Il's name because the users are from various countries. I just request to change Jong-Il as a given name or replace it with Kim.)

PS: The formation of northeast Asian (Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, etc.) names is "family name" + "given name" (there's no middle name). However, some of them are written in the western order in English. For example, Choo Shin-soo, an MLB pitcher from South Korea, is usually written as "Shin Soo Choo" in the United States. His real full name is Choo Shin-soo (Choo is his family name. Shin-soo is his given name, not his middle + given names.)

Hi.
This is a game.
Try not to take yourself too seriously.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Eist
Ambassador

Founded: May 10, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Eist » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:04 pm

Astrolinium wrote:Hi.
This is a game.

It seems that it would be something that is easily fixed, and it is an error, so why not? I can see why someone would find it offensive that there seems to be ignorance of other cultures implemented into this game. You don't have to be so dismissive.
Unibot III wrote:Frankly, the lows that people sink to in this game is perhaps the most disturbing thing about NationStates Gameplay.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:06 pm

Eist wrote:
This is a game.

It seems that it would be something that is easily fixed, and it is an error, so why not? I can see why someone would find it offensive that there seems to be ignorance of other cultures implemented into this game. You don't have to be so dismissive.

The point is, this game is supposed to be off-the-walls bizarre.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:07 pm

Eist wrote:
This is a game.

To be technical, it never states in any issue that the second name IS the family name. So, if it makes you feel better, pretend it's the other way around. Besides, nobody but the few asian players are going to understand why their foreign minister's first name is Jong-Il.

The Fanboyists
Senator

Founded: Sep 21, 2007
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Fanboyists » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:08 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Eist wrote:

Which is already achieved by the random name generator.
Proud member of the Ajax role-playing community!
Ottonia, Draakur, and Untsangazar in Ajax
Terefuxe, formerly Allamunnic States (NSSport)

"The plans and schemes of tyrants are broken by many things. They shatter against cliffs of heroic struggle. They rupture on reefs of open resistance. And they are slowly eroded, bit by little bit, on the very beaches where they measure triumph, by countless grains of sand. By the stubborn little decencies of humble little men." -Eric Flint, Belisarius II: In The Heart of Darkness

Kandorith
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2009
Capitalizt

Postby Kandorith » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:08 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Eist wrote:

This....

But somehow I think he'd also be angry over the game Homefront... even though it's just a game...

It's for amusement, don't take it seriously; if you take NS seriously well.... abandon all hope.

And it has been a name in NS for a looooooong time as far as I can remember.
Last edited by Kandorith on Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Great Empire of Kanyori | 大宮来国 | Arashi Kanyori Yokoku

Overview | Constitution | Anthem | Imperial Anthem | Armed Forces | Foreign Affairs | Emperor

Hikari Kyoyu Headlines:
BREAKING NEWS: LDP wins elections in landslide though Yoshiro Murakami will not return as prime minister they stated. | Latest technology showcased at the Empress Masumi Stadium as the January Tech Summit starts for the weekend | CDP claims LDP stole the election and will take legal steps against the election results

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:12 pm

GreatKorea wrote:"Jong-Il" is one of random family names now in NationStates. It's wrong.

Don't try to take it too seriously. As a guy that shares Kim Jong-il's last name, I don't really care.

I think it's because no one's going to call him, "Jong-il Kim" in the West. If Jong-il came in front, it'd just be plain awkward.
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:05 pm

Even though you are absolutely correct, most Westerners probably recognize Jong-Il as being the surname of Kim Jong-Il. The purpose of the random name generation is to provide comedic effect by using well-known names in silly situations, or mixing up those names. So the goal isn't for accuracy. Jong-Il Obama probably doesn't convey the joke as well as Barack Jong-Il, to an American at least.

Millenion
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Millenion » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:01 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:Even though you are absolutely correct, most Westerners probably recognize Jong-Il as being the surname of Kim Jong-Il. The purpose of the random name generation is to provide comedic effect by using well-known names in silly situations, or mixing up those names. So the goal isn't for accuracy. Jong-Il Obama probably doesn't convey the joke as well as Barack Jong-Il, to an American at least.

So, you're basically saying that NS is racist against asian players?
The Commonwealth of Millenion
"Beneficium Non Ius"

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:03 pm

Millenion wrote:
Glen-Rhodes wrote:Even though you are absolutely correct, most Westerners probably recognize Jong-Il as being the surname of Kim Jong-Il. The purpose of the random name generation is to provide comedic effect by using well-known names in silly situations, or mixing up those names. So the goal isn't for accuracy. Jong-Il Obama probably doesn't convey the joke as well as Barack Jong-Il, to an American at least.

No, he's saying that NS is appealing to a Western audience.

Millenion
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Millenion » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:05 pm

Arumdaum wrote:
Millenion wrote:

No, he's saying that NS is appealing to a Western audience.

This is still discrimination, to some extent. If you're mostly catering to Westerners, you can't just forget the Asian players? You're all such hypocrites.
The Commonwealth of Millenion
"Beneficium Non Ius"

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:09 pm

Millenion wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:No, he's saying that NS is appealing to a Western audience.

This is still discrimination, to some extent. If you're mostly catering to Westerners, you can't just forget the Asian players? You're all such hypocrites.

The game is supposed to be funny. Just take it as more humor. It's not like Max and [violet] sat in a dark little room, rubbing their hands together as they giggled over ways to piss off certain demographics.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:10 pm

Millenion wrote:

Of course we're not forgetting about the Asian players. They can do whatever anyone else can do here on the forums.

Jong-il being put at the end here is for comedic effect. This shit isn't even offensive. I'm Asian, and I don't give a shit.

What do you want NS to do? Translate everything into every single language?

Liventia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 04, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Liventia » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:10 pm

Millenion wrote:

Get over it.

And I say this as someone who's played the game since December 2002 and as someone from Singapore.

It's been in the game from the start, it's not meant to be racist, and it anyone contrives to make it one then they should just stop playing the game.

The "hypocrites" remark was uncalled for.
Слава Україні!

Azrael
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Azrael » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:14 pm

Be like me. I've known that Jong-Il is his given name and I never complained about it. I noticed it was odd, but I just decided to leave it be and continue sortin' my issues. It ain't that big a deal, man.
If nothing exists, where did this anger come from?

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2004
Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:11 pm

Just because in the code, Jong-Il is listed as a "family name" doesn't mean that the game is supposing that it is, in fact, a family name. All it is supposing is that it's the name that comes second when stating someone's full name. Which is true. What's the problem?
[violet] wrote:You are definitely not genial.
[violet] wrote:Congratulations to Crushing Our Enemies for making the first ever purchase. :)

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:45 pm

For the record, my last post was my opinion, not a NationStates Official Issues Policy.

Eist
Ambassador

Founded: May 10, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Eist » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:41 am

So, in summary:

1) We were ignorant, and now we are enlightened, but we shouldn’t fix (or even better, remove) the error because other people are ignorant?

2) There are not many ‘Asian’ (WTF?) players on NS, therefore it doesn’t matter

3) I’m Asian, therefore it is not offensive

4) Haha it’s just a game so it doesn’t matter if some people find it offensive that others are bastardising their culture into their own Western one.

To all of you: :palm:
Unibot III wrote:Frankly, the lows that people sink to in this game is perhaps the most disturbing thing about NationStates Gameplay.

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:54 am

Eist wrote:So, in summary:

1) We were ignorant, and now we are enlightened, but we shouldn’t fix (or even better, remove) the error because other people are ignorant?

2) There are not many ‘Asian’ (WTF?) players on NS, therefore it doesn’t matter

3) I’m Asian, therefore it is not offensive

4) Haha it’s just a game so it doesn’t matter if some people find it offensive that others are bastardising their culture into their own Western one.

To all of you: :palm:

No, we shouldn't fix the problem because there is no problem. First off, says who the names in the issues are given name+family name? Could very easily be the other way around if you choose to see it that way. Second, nobody is 'bastardizing' anyone's culture here. Are we gonna have two different sets for eastern and western names to make sure that the names are structured properly so the three people in this game who are offended feel better? It's a text based browser game and it's just not that damn complex, get over it. Third, this is a complete waste of an admin's time to fix this. Yes, I'm aware it would take like five seconds, but that's still a waste of five seconds. It means that little.

New Synavia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Synavia » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:24 pm

The Fanboyists wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:

Which is already achieved by the random name generator.
This.
"Billy-Bob Nagasawa"
The Scientific Unity of New Synavia
Factbook
DEFCON: 1 2 3 [4] 5 - Tightened Security
I RP with a population of 166 million, TG me if you want to RP or somethin'.
Watch out, we got a TETRIS BADASS over here!
Frisbeeteria wrote:Mwah hah hahhhhh!

☑ Saddam Hussein
☑ Osama Bin Laden
☑ Khaddafi
☑ Kim Jong Il
☐ Internet Explorer

[violet] wrote:Urggg... trawling through ads looking for roman orgies...

Holaloperho
Envoy

Founded: Jan 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Holaloperho » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:12 am

Guys, he is not even offense by it, he just want to change it from family name into given name
THIS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH DISCRIMINATION OR RESPECT OTHERS CULTURE, INSTEAD, THIS IS ABOUT CORRECTNESS.
It is painful to know too much;
yet I always keen to know more.

Please join the region of Sanctuary, we provide protection for nations that have been ejected and banned because their region have been invaded.
Thank you :)

The Most Glorious Hack
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 11, 2003
Anarchy

Postby The Most Glorious Hack » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:33 am

Maybe we're referencing Ms. Jong-Il who has the first name of Kim? She's a nice lady, but gets a lot of flack for an unfortunate similarity.
Now the stars they are all angled wrong,
And the sun and the moon refuse to burn.
But I remember a message,
In a demon's hand:
"Dread the passage of Jesus, for he does not return."

-Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, "Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum"

Brian Cox
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Brian Cox » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:57 am

I find it funny that everyone who is accusing this guy of taking the issue too seriously is actually taking it WAY more seriously that he is. Would you really all be completely offended if the name was changed from Jong-Il to Kim? Would it really be that much effort? This person isn't asking for a radical re-hauling of the entire game, just a simple name change. It's not the end of the bloody world and wouldn't take an age to fix.

He never said it was a big deal, never said it was offending him, just that it was uncomfortable. He never said anything like "IF YOU DON'T CHANGE THIS I'M NOT GONNA PLAY ANY MORE", which he might as well have said judging by the way you're all reacting.

By the way, I'm a Westerner and even I knew that Jong-Il is not a family name. It's not just "a few Asians" who notice it. As he said, Westerners often re-arrange the family name to go last, all he is asking is that we do the same for Kim Jong-Il/Jong-Il Kim. It's not that big a deal really and I support this minor change.
Disclaimer: I am not the real Brian Cox.

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2004
Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:02 pm

I think it will help to reframe the issue if we realize that it doesn't go "given name, family name" it goes "first name, second name". So, with Korean names like Kim Jong-Il, it's appropriate to put the family name first, followed by the given name. Following our construction of "first name, second name" that would make the correct name... Kim Jong-Il. Which is how the game displays it. Just because some people don't realize that the first name is the family name doesn't mean we should switch it around to be incorrect.
[violet] wrote:You are definitely not genial.
[violet] wrote:Congratulations to Crushing Our Enemies for making the first ever purchase. :)

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical