NATION

PASSWORD

Unlockable Trophy Issues

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Lordieth
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Unlockable Trophy Issues

Postby Lordieth » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:25 am

Would it be feasible to make new issues available by obtaining particular trophies, that relate to that particular census?

For example, attaining Top 1% in the world for Most Armed could unlock a one-off issue relating to your Nation containing a large surplus of weapons. So it'd behave quite like an Easter Egg issue.

I think it could add a new dimension to running a Nation, by giving you optional goals to aim for.

Perhaps you could take it a step further by requiring a combination of trophies to unlock a related issue;

Most Armed + Most Beautiful Environment = Issue: Depth-Charge Mines wash up on local beaches.

Etc.

It would be all the more fun if you had a page that showed you which trophies unlock these 'hidden' issues, arranged in order of difficulty.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:35 am

Lordieth wrote:Would it be feasible to make new issues available by obtaining particular trophies, that relate to that particular census?

For example, attaining Top 1% in the world for Most Armed could unlock a one-off issue relating to your Nation containing a large surplus of weapons. So it'd behave quite like an Easter Egg issue.

I think it could add a new dimension to running a Nation, by giving you optional goals to aim for.

Perhaps you could take it a step further by requiring a combination of trophies to unlock a related issue;

Most Armed + Most Beautiful Environment = Issue: Depth-Charge Mines wash up on local beaches.

Etc.

It would be all the more fun if you had a page that showed you which trophies unlock these 'hidden' issues, arranged in order of difficulty.

It already is, essentially. Some issues require you to have high rankings in certain categories. For example Issue #202: Guns or Butter requires you to have high defense forces.

Lordieth
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:45 am

Ah, yes, but it's a slightly arbritary target, as the exact level required isn't known.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

ThinkDeep
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby ThinkDeep » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:51 am

I really don't think NationStates needs achievements (and I say that as an achievement addict). It's just not that kind of game.
This nation has thus far participated in two threads: In defense of Christians, and of math. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:52 am

ThinkDeep wrote:I really don't think NationStates needs achievements (and I say that as an achievement addict). It's just not that kind of game.

You already get trophies based on World Census rankings, WA Authorship, Issue Writing etc.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Graditora
Senator

Founded: Jul 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Graditora » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:58 am

:blink: What if the nation is completely average...
Favorite Quote: "A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge"- Thomas Carlyle
The Shadow of F7
Pronounced: "Grah-deh-tor-ah" | Now with a wiki!
Luziyca wrote:You were the one responsible for the Second Amendment.

Bafuria wrote:If I was allowed to carry I would carry a pistol with big, loud muzzle blast, something that says "I JUST SHOT YOU D:<".

Ea90 wrote:Someone knows what they want.

Romberg wrote:You do not mess with the nation with a scorpion on its flag.

Descedant of George Reed. Delaware signer of the Deceleration of Independence.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:05 pm

Graditora wrote::blink: What if the nation is completely average...

There's a trophy for Most Average, iirc.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Graditora
Senator

Founded: Jul 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Graditora » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:09 pm

Sanctaria wrote:
Graditora wrote::blink: What if the nation is completely average...

There's a trophy for Most Average, iirc.

I know! I have it! :lol:

Just wondering if there is a special issue question that I can get for having it
Favorite Quote: "A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge"- Thomas Carlyle
The Shadow of F7
Pronounced: "Grah-deh-tor-ah" | Now with a wiki!
Luziyca wrote:You were the one responsible for the Second Amendment.

Bafuria wrote:If I was allowed to carry I would carry a pistol with big, loud muzzle blast, something that says "I JUST SHOT YOU D:<".

Ea90 wrote:Someone knows what they want.

Romberg wrote:You do not mess with the nation with a scorpion on its flag.

Descedant of George Reed. Delaware signer of the Deceleration of Independence.

Frisbeeteria
Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:57 pm

Lordieth wrote:Would it be feasible to make new issues available by obtaining particular trophies, that relate to that particular census?

Feasible? Yes. Each issue contains a validity choice, and issues could be written that included a validity based on certain trophies. You are welcome to submit issues including that validity, should you so choose.

From a practical perspective, it's not such a good idea.

• First, we don't want to spend a lot of time creating issues that can only be accessed by the top 10% or 1% of nations. We'd rather have most everyone gain access to issues.
  • While the Easter Egg concept would make this practical, the flavor text would be ephemeral. It would stay on your page through the next four issues, then vanish into the mist. Not much of a reward for that much effort, IMHO.
  • Thanks to the recent Issue Editors contest, we now have some new editors, but we haven't added new issues to the game in quite a while. We'll be processing the backlog for another long while yet.

As I said, you're welcome to propose such issues in the Got Issues forum for further discussion, or submit them directly if you like. Given that we delete hundreds for every issue entered into the game, I wouldn't pin a lot of hopes on seeing one soon.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical