NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates Century Dark Theme

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 28, 2003
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:41 pm

Australian Republic wrote:Dark rift doesn't seem to be an avaliable option for me
This actually isn't the Dark Rift thread; it's for the older Century Dark theme. However, Dark Rift is listed as just "Dark" in your Settings.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:34 pm

Northrop-Grumman wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:Dark rift doesn't seem to be an avaliable option for me
This actually isn't the Dark Rift thread; it's for the older Century Dark theme. However, Dark Rift is listed as just "Dark" in your Settings.

I was linked here in the Rift... Sorry about the error
So there is no more dark century? I saw "dark" listed and though that it was dark century
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:38 pm

Australian Republic wrote:
Northrop-Grumman wrote:This actually isn't the Dark Rift thread; it's for the older Century Dark theme. However, Dark Rift is listed as just "Dark" in your Settings.

I was linked here in the Rift... Sorry about the error
So there is no more dark century? I saw "dark" listed and though that it was dark century
"Century: Dark" is two below "Dark" in the list.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:40 pm

Northrop-Grumman wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:I was linked here in the Rift... Sorry about the error
"Century: Dark" is two below "Dark" in the list.

Thank You
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

CreepyCut
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby CreepyCut » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:07 pm

I'm not sure if this is just me, or if this has been addressed but, as a user of the dark rift theme, when I want to lodge a message in a regional message board, it doesn't; just refreshes the page and shows what I wrote in the space I write my message in.

The same happens on the regular rift theme.

I tried on older themes and it works fine.
Last edited by CreepyCut on Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-{Ash Rosekastell, founder and King of Insanity and Flowers in Asylum}-

Enfaru
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Enfaru » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:04 pm

CreepyCut wrote:I'm not sure if this is just me, or if this has been addressed but, as a user of the dark rift theme, when I want to lodge a message in a regional message board, it doesn't; just refreshes the page and shows what I wrote in the space I write my message in.

Are you using NS++....
Sovereign Charter Quick Links
Factbook · Role-plays · RMB · Map (Origin | Quantum) · Chat · Members: 73
Myraxia: One does not learn to GM; One throws oneself in and prays they don't fuck up too badly.
Game Master
Founder of the Sovereign Charter,
4th President and,
Tutor of the College of Theatrics

CreepyCut
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby CreepyCut » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:23 pm

Enfaru wrote:
CreepyCut wrote:I'm not sure if this is just me, or if this has been addressed but, as a user of the dark rift theme, when I want to lodge a message in a regional message board, it doesn't; just refreshes the page and shows what I wrote in the space I write my message in.

Are you using NS++....

Yes, sir.
-{Ash Rosekastell, founder and King of Insanity and Flowers in Asylum}-

Lamebrainia
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Dark Century Theme and the new features

Postby Lamebrainia » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:56 pm

Hello everyone.

The new features presented by the recent update seem to have slightly broken the Dark Century Theme, which, as far as I'm concerened, has been in need of an overhaul for a very long time.
1) The login button is almost invisible now.
2) Images on issue pages stand out too much, being white and all.
3) Settings update button seems to be out of place (compare to plain Century).

The 1%/5%/10% category titles don't seem to fit into either Century variety.

Would it be too much to hope for it to get fixed? Or is Rift the true way, and I should simply move on?

I am otherwise very happy with the update, and I'd like to thank everyone involved for implementing it.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:04 pm

Lamebrainia wrote:Hello everyone.

The new features presented by the recent update seem to have slightly broken the Dark Century Theme, which, as far as I'm concerened, has been in need of an overhaul for a very long time.
1) The login button is almost invisible now.
3) Settings update button seems to be out of place (compare to plain Century).

The 1%/5%/10% category titles don't seem to fit into either Century variety.

Would it be too much to hope for it to get fixed? Or is Rift the true way, and I should simply move on?

I am otherwise very happy with the update, and I'd like to thank everyone involved for implementing it.
Howdy. I'm the player who edits/updates both dark themes. Just as sort of an FYI, the best way to get my attention is to go to the particular dark theme thread in my signature. (I only decided to browse Technical today because the forums are very very very slow for me for some reason).

Anyway, damn, those issues you pointed out were some things that I missed.

1.) Yeah, I see what you're talking about. I've seen this particular issue before a few years ago, so it shouldn't be a problem to fix. (Unfortunately, I've got a fair amount of stuff on my plate right now, so I'll get to it as soon as I can).
2.) Looks like some of the image files got shifted around in the update. The top of the newspaper should point to "https://www.nationstates.net/images/dpaper1dark.jpg" but it's pointing to "https://www.nationstates.net/images/newspaper/dpaper1.png". The same situation goes for the bottom. IIRC, [violet] might have to fix that one.
3.) The settings update button always looked out of place when compared to Century. Century makes the settings page look like an old document. Since that doesn't apply to Century: Dark, I've had to alter that button to make it not stand out.
Last edited by Northrop-Grumman on Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Lamebrainia
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

New Features

Postby Lamebrainia » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:39 pm

Dear sir,

thank you very much for taking note of my other thread. I'll move my commentary over here, so that it's easier for you to keep track of things.
I am not often a visitor to the forum, so I'd like to apologise for not putting it where it belongs initially.

1) The login button is almost invisible now. Maybe apply class="button1" to it?
Looks like some of the image files got shifted around in the update. The top of the newspaper should point to "https://www.nationstates.net/images/dpaper1dark.jpg" but it's pointing to "https://www.nationstates.net/images/newspaper/dpaper1.png". The same situation goes for the bottom. IIRC, [violet] might have to fix that one.

If there's anything I can help you with, please let me know. I'm a web-developer by trade.

P.S. I can see you are working on the badges at the moment. Do you think transparent ones are better than the previously used white? I personally find the latter less taxing on the eyes.
Last edited by Lamebrainia on Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:09 pm

Lamebrainia wrote:Dear sir,

thank you very much for taking note of my other thread. I'll move my commentary over here, so that it's easier for you to keep track of things.
I am not often a visitor to the forum, so I'd like to apologise for not putting it where it belongs initially.

1) The login button is almost invisible now. Maybe apply class="button1" to it?
Looks like some of the image files got shifted around in the update. The top of the newspaper should point to "https://www.nationstates.net/images/dpaper1dark.jpg" but it's pointing to "https://www.nationstates.net/images/newspaper/dpaper1.png". The same situation goes for the bottom. IIRC, [violet] might have to fix that one.

If there's anything I can help you with, please let me know. I'm a web-developer by trade.

P.S. I can see you are working on the badges at the moment. Do you think transparent ones are better than the previously used white? I personally find the latter less taxing on the eyes.
Alright. Everything should be updated and working now.

Changelog:

2016/03/17
- Fixed problem where issues newspaper displayed inconsistent picture color

2016/03/13
- Fixed problem where login button for switching nations had a black background
Last edited by Northrop-Grumman on Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Parhe
Powerbroker

Founded: May 10, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Parhe » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:11 am

May I please make a suggestion? I was wondering if we could have a change in colour for the "World" trend line in comparisons, like here. It is a bit hard to distinguish from the background in both Century and Rift. Sorry if this was already covered, I tried searching and did not find something.
Hey, it is Parhe :D I am always open to telegrams.
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

BRING BACK THE ICE CLIMBERS

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:44 pm

Parhe wrote:May I please make a suggestion? I was wondering if we could have a change in colour for the "World" trend line in comparisons, like here. It is a bit hard to distinguish from the background in both Century and Rift. Sorry if this was already covered, I tried searching and did not find something.
After poking around with it for a bit, from what I recall, it's not a change that I can make through CSS. It's probably something that can changed on [violet]'s end.

Parhe
Powerbroker

Founded: May 10, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Parhe » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:52 am

Northrop-Grumman wrote:
Parhe wrote:May I please make a suggestion? I was wondering if we could have a change in colour for the "World" trend line in comparisons, like here. It is a bit hard to distinguish from the background in both Century and Rift. Sorry if this was already covered, I tried searching and did not find something.
After poking around with it for a bit, from what I recall, it's not a change that I can make through CSS. It's probably something that can changed on [violet]'s end.

Oh, okay, thank you for the response! I will make a thread in Technical asking about it once I get home later :) (sort of saying this here beforehand in case you already have or if I shouldn't for whatever other reason :P)
Hey, it is Parhe :D I am always open to telegrams.
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

BRING BACK THE ICE CLIMBERS

The Tofu Islands
Minister

Founded: Mar 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Minor issues with the Dark themes

Postby The Tofu Islands » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:30 am

So there are a couple of annoyances with the Dark themes at the moment,

Firstly: in Century Dark, all the nation badges have had their colours inverted, which looks pretty bad. They're small enough that having them with a white background (as they are in other themes, including Dark) is fine, and the blue/pink of the figures on them when they're inverted looks a bit weird.

Secondly: in both Dark and Century Dark, the title for the trend graphs (as in /detail=trend?censusid=$n) has really low contrast. Putting it in white rather than dark grey would make things more readable.
In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:40 pm

Updated!

2016/10/15
- Darkened text color inside selected tags in the Region Tag Search

The Tofu Islands wrote:So there are a couple of annoyances with the Dark themes at the moment,

Firstly: in Century Dark, all the nation badges have had their colours inverted, which looks pretty bad. They're small enough that having them with a white background (as they are in other themes, including Dark) is fine, and the blue/pink of the figures on them when they're inverted looks a bit weird.

Secondly: in both Dark and Century Dark, the title for the trend graphs (as in /detail=trend?censusid=$n) has really low contrast. Putting it in white rather than dark grey would make things more readable.
Hooboy! I somehow didn't notice that this response was here.

The first point: Century Dark was the first iteration of those trophies and was implemented about 4 years ago; at the time, it only worked on Chrome and just stuck around once Firefox came onboard with implementing the picture inversion filters. Rift was more recent attempt at making the trophies blend into the background by just applying a (inverted) brightness filter over it. The fact that they're still different is an oversight on my part.

The second point: The graphs are a little tricky because their attributes are encoded directly into the HTML as opposed to being a stylesheet laid over the page, which is what I work with. That is something most likely on [violet]'s end.
Last edited by Northrop-Grumman on Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:50 am

Just to let you all know, I'm still working on this. I have just today noticed that there have been major changes to the WA pages, so a bunch of tables have bright backgrounds (heh, this is what I get for not having my main nation be in the WA!), so I'm taking a look at that and browsing through the site to see if there's anything else I've missed. Sorry folks!

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:33 am

Updated!

2017/02/26
- Removed very faint WA logo from background of proposals
- Brightened "For/Against" text on WA proposals
- Changed proposal and rejected resolution text from UnifrakturCook to Times New Roman
- Darkened proposal and regional voting box borders
- Darkened GenSec voting status and GenSec members box
- Removed box shadow from RMB posts
- Removed box shadow from issue submission text boxes
- Darkened Example boxes on Issue Submission Guidelines page
- Darkened page numbers
- Darkened border and lightened text on nation banner selection boxes
- Darkened background for notices
- Darkened headings for subscription options and lightened table background

Democratic Yaradan
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Yaradan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:39 am

Northrop-Grumman wrote:...Century Dark was the first iteration of those trophies and was implemented about 4 years ago; at the time, it only worked on Chrome and just stuck around once Firefox came onboard with implementing the picture inversion filters. Rift was more recent attempt at making the trophies blend into the background by just applying a (inverted) brightness filter over it. The fact that they're still different is an oversight on my part.

This is still lingering about (and on the rank pages as well), even though issue-effect-page badges look the same as with normal theme (and thus Dark Rift). Any plans to sort out this problem in a future update?
(OOC, DemYara is opposed to democracy ICly:) "Oh, God - not another puppet of Tinhampton!"
the Glorious People's Republic of Democratic Yaradan: I L L E G I T I M I . . N O N . . C A R B O R U N D U M!
NS Stats are generally canon. For some background reading, check out
the Factbook.
Led by the Glorious Peoples' Leader, aided by his Secretaries and the Glorious People's Bureaucracy. Population: ~9.2 million.
please excuse the flag retcon'n'replace for a new, hopefully better model

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:42 am

Democratic Yaradan wrote:
Northrop-Grumman wrote:...Century Dark was the first iteration of those trophies and was implemented about 4 years ago; at the time, it only worked on Chrome and just stuck around once Firefox came onboard with implementing the picture inversion filters. Rift was more recent attempt at making the trophies blend into the background by just applying a (inverted) brightness filter over it. The fact that they're still different is an oversight on my part.

This is still lingering about (and on the rank pages as well), even though issue-effect-page badges look the same as with normal theme (and thus Dark Rift). Any plans to sort out this problem in a future update?
Ah! Sorry for not responding to this sooner.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I mainly stick with using Dark Rift during my day-to-day browsing (well, whenever I actually get a chance to log in, lately). I agree; it does need to be changed to be consistent between the two themes.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:06 pm

Updated!

2017/08/27
- Darkened regional tag boxes
- Darkened local time box on N-Day^2 news entry
- Changed faction name boxes to blend into tables and aligned names with flags
- Darkened Nuclear Statistics boxes on hover
- Added box around current Nuclear Statistics box
- Removed bright shadow from Targeted and Incoming boxes

I know there's a few outstanding inconsistency issues that I will get to in due time. I mainly wanted to focus on getting the N-Day stuff square away since that was coming up fast.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Fri May 24, 2019 3:55 am

Updated!

2019-05-21
- Rounded corners and lightened background on policies boxes
- Lightened background around World/Region Rankings and Census Score box on the Trends page.
- Changed rounded corners and lightened background on Nation Summary box on the Nation Overview page.
- Added rounded corners to Factbook dispatches.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Sun May 03, 2020 9:09 am

Just wanted to kick this thread open, and see if there are any issues/comments with the theme. I plan on releasing an update in the near future to take care of a few issues here and there.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:56 pm

Updated!

2020-05-26
- Removed colored header on plain user-created tables.
- Inverted RSS icon on hover in Dossier.
- Darkened background of "How Election Works" panel on the WA Secretary-General election page.
- Fixed Z-day faction name to inherit background color.
- Fixed Z-day countdowns on News page to inherit background color.
- Rounded top corners of telegram filters table.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:59 am

Updated!

2020-09-24
- Darkened background of faction name on N-day pages
- Darkened background on hover for N-day menu/view options

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads