NATION

PASSWORD

Nation name release!

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5719
Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Capitalizt

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:50 am

Do you mean that the issue was accepted after the author had already CTE'd?
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

User avatar
Sanctaria
Issues Editor
 
Posts: 7565
Founded: Sep 12, 2008
New York Times Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:16 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:Do you mean that the issue was accepted after the author had already CTE'd?

It depends. It could have been submitted, then the author CTE'd, and was picked up and put in game, or it could have been accepted while the author was alive but was still being worked on when they CTE'd (as editing can take a while).

The badge only gets applied when we physically press the button to put it in-game, so the CTE'd aspect of the author only comes into play then.

Typically we don't check if an author is still around or not when we're working on an issue unless we want to do some heavy edits and then we usually check to make sure it's ok or else ask them to work on it again.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258
Member of UNOG

Dr. Katherine Saunders ORD DSJ, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

User avatar
Tinhampton
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8185
Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Tinhampton » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:53 pm

Sanctaria wrote:
Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:Do you mean that the issue was accepted after the author had already CTE'd?

It depends...

Actually, #1214 was first sighted on SPOILER ALERT last May - so after Endraas CTEd. I made the Endraas request because their population was under 500 million but their name should have been reserved on other grounds.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 319,372): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549
Other achievements: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; -45 Darkspawn Kill Points; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; "Tinhampton? the man's literally god"
Who am I, really? 45yo Tory woman; Cambridge graduate; possibly very controversial; currently reading 21 Lessons for the 21st Century by Yuval Noah Harari

I STAND WITH PAM DUNCAN-GLANCY

User avatar
NoniLand
Civilian
 
Posts: 1
Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby NoniLand » Sun May 03, 2020 6:39 am

What does Disgraced mean in the boneyard

User avatar
LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6942
Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Sun May 03, 2020 6:42 am

NoniLand wrote:What does Disgraced mean in the boneyard

The nation was deleted by a moderator or administrator for rules violations.
China Lied, People Died.
Anti-imperialism is really code for anti-west.
Not to be confused with Novus America! We are NOT the same player.

User avatar
Farinacci
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 3
Founded: Apr 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Former Dictator returns, but forgot password

Postby Farinacci » Mon May 04, 2020 10:24 am

Hello after a long break (9 years) i play nationstates again I played with the peoples protectorate of le caldreaux... i was wondering if you can restart your nation?

Greetings Volker.

User avatar
Luna Amore
Issues Moderator
 
Posts: 12646
Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Mon May 04, 2020 11:26 am

Farinacci wrote:Hello after a long break (9 years) i play nationstates again I played with the peoples protectorate of le caldreaux... i was wondering if you can restart your nation?

Greetings Volker.

You can't restart that nation, but you should be able to reset the password using the email that is on file for that nation.

https://www.nationstates.net/page=forgot_password
Last edited by Luna Amore on Mon May 04, 2020 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Farinacci
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 3
Founded: Apr 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Hmmm

Postby Farinacci » Mon May 04, 2020 11:48 am

Think I abandoned that email adress

User avatar
Awesomeland012345
Envoy
 
Posts: 350
Founded: Nov 01, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Awesomeland012345 » Mon May 04, 2020 11:53 am

[violet] wrote:
Under the proposed rules, a name would be available for re-use unless the former owner:
  1. is mentioned in the History of an existing region
    How would a nation be mentioned in the history of an existing region? In a factbook?
  2. authored or was the subject of a WA resolution (incl. Historical ones)
    What is a historical resolution, and how would you author one?
☆ All hail the Holy Awesomeness of Awesomeland012345! ☆ Cheddar

The founder and delegate of Cheddar Dispatches alllll haiillll the tunaaaa Become a dual citizen today! Join Cheddar! :) pls pls pls Take a poll! shh... secret easter eggs!

User avatar
Zizou
Diplomat
 
Posts: 537
Founded: Aug 23, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Zizou » Mon May 04, 2020 12:36 pm

Awesomeland012345 wrote:
[violet] wrote:
Under the proposed rules, a name would be available for re-use unless the former owner:
  1. is mentioned in the History of an existing region
    How would a nation be mentioned in the history of an existing region? In a factbook?
  2. authored or was the subject of a WA resolution (incl. Historical ones)
    What is a historical resolution, and how would you author one?

I think the history of an existing region part is referring to the regional history page.
And by historical resolutions, I believe they mean nations who authored resolutions in the UN before it became the WA.
Zizou Vytherov-Skollvaldr
SGT in The Black Hawks
Meishu of the former Red Sun Army
Parxland wrote:It might somehow give me STDs through the computer screen with how often you hop between different groups of people.

User avatar
Awesomeland012345
Envoy
 
Posts: 350
Founded: Nov 01, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Awesomeland012345 » Mon May 04, 2020 12:37 pm

Zizou wrote:
Awesomeland012345 wrote:

I think the history of an existing region part is referring to the regional history page.
And by historical resolutions, I believe they mean nations who authored resolutions in the UN before it became the WA.

Thanks!
☆ All hail the Holy Awesomeness of Awesomeland012345! ☆ Cheddar

The founder and delegate of Cheddar Dispatches alllll haiillll the tunaaaa Become a dual citizen today! Join Cheddar! :) pls pls pls Take a poll! shh... secret easter eggs!

User avatar
Ostrovskiy
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 22
Founded: Nov 01, 2019
New York Times Democracy

Postby Ostrovskiy » Sun May 10, 2020 2:28 pm

Awesomeland012345 wrote:
Zizou wrote:I think the history of an existing region part is referring to the regional history page.
And by historical resolutions, I believe they mean nations who authored resolutions in the UN before it became the WA.

Thanks!

I always thought the history meant in a regional factbook

User avatar
The Perpetual Peace
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 2
Founded: Apr 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Perpetual Peace » Mon May 25, 2020 8:00 pm

Hi guys, curious to who the guy was, when that person had the good nation names around (Korea, China, California, Israel, Russia, Cambodia, Uzbekistan, Ukraine, Thailand etc?), but all of sudden, was disgraced / DoSed around 2014. I'm not asking for the nation names at all, but a mere curiosity, and the reason behind the person being DoSed, on what rule did that person breach?

Not sure if this is the correct place, nor should I ask this at all.

Thanks!

*Leaves hand sanitizers and N95 Masks in front of the Moderator' Door*
Kingdom of The Perpetual Peace

User avatar
Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator
 
Posts: 25286
Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Anarchy

Postby Frisbeeteria » Mon May 25, 2020 10:19 pm

The Perpetual Peace wrote: what rule did that person breach?

I don't recall the specifics and can't / won't share them with anyone other than the player involved in any event. I do recall that they were puppetswept and lost several hundred nations, including many real nation names.

User avatar
Corinthina
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 103
Founded: May 01, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Corinthina » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:58 am

[violet] wrote:Q: "250M population is too low." / "Five years is too long."
A: If the release goes well, we might look at loosening the restrictions in the future1 to make nations with slightly larger populations or more recent CTE dates available. But that's something to consider later.

I'm know this has been mentioned before, but is there ever going to be a further loosening of restrictions of some nations? Some CTE nations who had populations between 500 million and 1 billion have ceased to exist over 15 years ago. Surely now would be a good time to consider a loosing to perhaps 750 million or 1 billion, as the last loosening of restrictions was made back in 2013. I don't feel like this is an unreasonable thing to be considered. Thank you.

User avatar
Tech Support URL
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 3
Founded: Sep 03, 2020
Ex-Nation

A question

Postby Tech Support URL » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:10 pm

[violet] wrote:As long threatened, we're going to open up old nation names for re-use.

For a sneak preview, use this page to see if/when a particular nation name would become available:

http://www.nationstates.net/page=boneyard

Under the proposed rules, a name would be available for re-use unless the former owner:
  1. is active
  2. ceased to exist less than 5 years ago
  3. accumulated a population of 500 million or more (changed from 250 million in Spring 2013)
  4. founded an existing region
  5. is mentioned in the History of an existing region
  6. authored or was the subject of a WA resolution (incl. Historical ones)
  7. authored an Issue
  8. was a moderator or admin
  9. was deleted by a mod
  10. is marked by a Game Mod as reserved blocked from being reused

There are a very large number of nation names that were used only briefly, and whose former owner is highly unlikely to ever return, so the feeling is that we should make those available for people who want them. Nations that hung around for a reasonable length of time, however, or ceased to exist relatively recently, or did something of particular note, should remain reserved in case the former owner one day wants to revive them.

If an old nation has its name re-used, it cannot be resurrected, even if the newer nation ceases to exist.

Please let me know your thoughts! There is some time before this will go live, and we can tweak in the meantime.

To anticipate a couple of questions:

Q: "250M population is too low." / "Five years is too long."
A: If the release goes well, we might look at loosening the restrictions in the future1 to make nations with slightly larger populations or more recent CTE dates available. But that's something to consider later.

Q: "Why does the Boneyard say different names will become available on different days?"
A: Just to spread things out, so we don't get hammered by everyone trying to reclaim an old name at once.

Q: "I really, really want this one name. Can't you make a special exemption and let me have it?"
A: No.

1Limit raised to 500M in Spring 2013


if a nation is deleted by a mod why can't it be restored? if it is deleted can't there be a first warning or second warning? the third time the nation does (something very wrong) it can be deleted, that system would help a lot! right???
Last edited by Tech Support URL on Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Sysillia
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 11
Founded: Nov 14, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby Sysillia » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:36 pm

[violet] wrote:As long threatened, we're going to open up old nation names for re-use.

For a sneak preview, use this page to see if/when a particular nation name would become available:

http://www.nationstates.net/page=boneyard

Under the proposed rules, a name would be available for re-use unless the former owner:
  1. is active
  2. ceased to exist less than 5 years ago
  3. accumulated a population of 500 million or more (changed from 250 million in Spring 2013)
  4. founded an existing region
  5. is mentioned in the History of an existing region
  6. authored or was the subject of a WA resolution (incl. Historical ones)
  7. authored an Issue
  8. was a moderator or admin
  9. was deleted by a mod
  10. is marked by a Game Mod as reserved blocked from being reused

There are a very large number of nation names that were used only briefly, and whose former owner is highly unlikely to ever return, so the feeling is that we should make those available for people who want them. Nations that hung around for a reasonable length of time, however, or ceased to exist relatively recently, or did something of particular note, should remain reserved in case the former owner one day wants to revive them.

If an old nation has its name re-used, it cannot be resurrected, even if the newer nation ceases to exist.

Please let me know your thoughts! There is some time before this will go live, and we can tweak in the meantime.

To anticipate a couple of questions:

Q: "250M population is too low." / "Five years is too long."
A: If the release goes well, we might look at loosening the restrictions in the future1 to make nations with slightly larger populations or more recent CTE dates available. But that's something to consider later.

Q: "Why does the Boneyard say different names will become available on different days?"
A: Just to spread things out, so we don't get hammered by everyone trying to reclaim an old name at once.

Q: "I really, really want this one name. Can't you make a special exemption and let me have it?"
A: No.

1Limit raised to 500M in Spring 2013


this could also be a rule in influence, because we can link the population standards with influence and it could make influential situations more stable onwards. in this case, its not only for population it could be for influence also
Last edited by Sysillia on Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Merni
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1466
Founded: May 03, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Merni » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:40 pm

Tech Support URL wrote:if a nation is deleted by a mod why can't it be restored? if it is deleted can't there be a first warning or second warning? the third time the nation does (something very wrong) it can be deleted, that system would help a lot! right???

Mods already give a lot of warnings, both unofficial and official, and then bans, before taking the drastic step of deletion. Once that's done it's assumed that the offence was that bad. (the deletion can also be appealed). The exception is obvious adbots and adspammers, which are deleted immediately.
COVID19 still exists! | Donate your free time
The Labyrinth | TGW Warden | GA Committee List

Admins: Please allow blocking WA TGs!
E -8.0 S -3.18
Wrote 532 GA
meth
I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born. — Ronald Reagan
When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called 'the People’s Stick.' — Mikhail Bakunin (to Karl Marx)
You're supposed to be employing the arts of diplomacy, not the ruddy great thumping sledgehammers of diplomacy. — Ardchoille
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion [...] but rather by its superiority in applying organised violence. — Samuel P. Huntington (even he said that!)

User avatar
Tech Support URL
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 3
Founded: Sep 03, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Tech Support URL » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:07 pm

noted.
Last edited by Tech Support URL on Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Sysillia
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 11
Founded: Nov 14, 2019
Father Knows Best State

new issue

Postby Sysillia » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:12 pm

The following is the Unlocater paradox
Last edited by Sysillia on Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Sysillia
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 11
Founded: Nov 14, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Names Re-use

Postby Sysillia » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:19 am

A re-use section has been quoted below by Merni and Sysillia.

I have no idea what im doing because its my first day in FORUM.
Last edited by Sysillia on Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Tech Support URL
Political Columnist
 
Posts: 3
Founded: Sep 03, 2020
Ex-Nation

1 solution of 100s...

Postby Tech Support URL » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:37 am

Sysillia wrote:the region of the North Pacific, the largest region in NationStates, has 7-10,000 nations. only 17% of new nations decided to stay in the North, west, East, south or any other COMMON spawner for nations. some tend for their own region, or move. this is due to them being a past player or simply just want to rule by them selves. so, it is rare for regions to go this way: region starts, then it becomes bigger, stars growing, reaches 1000+ nations, and decline. but it is more common for regions like this: Region starts, stays small, gains 1-20 nations.
this weird coincidence has been named the Unlocater Paradox and it yet to be solved in nationstates. for example;
If a region has 1,000 nations when it is formed, only 170 nations will remain over time. so large regions need to be very careful to
stop losing nations or it will be the next Run-away flood. EXAMPLE:

if the Pacific changed government, 92% of the region would vanish leaving 8% of what the pacific is today. this is just an example and should not be taken into consideration. and this post is getting too long...

Thank you for reading,
Regards,

Capitalist Republic of Sysillia


that is a brilliant idea, and I have a solution! how about we make a law that;

only 1 nation can leave a region per 30 seconds and there, it fixes the paradox by 40% but the large region problem is still to br solved... and maybe Tech Support can help you on that!

and, this is my first times on the FORUM and i did not know i could post here but i guess its very efficient in terms of messaging.

:clap: :clap: ;) Thanks for the Idea Sysillia!
Last edited by Tech Support URL on Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Merni
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1466
Founded: May 03, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Merni » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:25 am

Sysillia wrote:snip

Tech Support URL wrote:snip

Not sure what either of you are saying, but it doesn't seem to be related to this thread's topic (re-use of nation names after nations are CTE for some period) in any way.

Also, imposing arbitrary limits on nations leaving regions would not only hamper nations' ability to choose a region they want to be in (most people don't want to stay in the feeders), but also make R/D gameplay pretty much impossible.
COVID19 still exists! | Donate your free time
The Labyrinth | TGW Warden | GA Committee List

Admins: Please allow blocking WA TGs!
E -8.0 S -3.18
Wrote 532 GA
meth
I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born. — Ronald Reagan
When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called 'the People’s Stick.' — Mikhail Bakunin (to Karl Marx)
You're supposed to be employing the arts of diplomacy, not the ruddy great thumping sledgehammers of diplomacy. — Ardchoille
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion [...] but rather by its superiority in applying organised violence. — Samuel P. Huntington (even he said that!)

User avatar
Sysillia
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 11
Founded: Nov 14, 2019
Father Knows Best State

BRAND NEW IDEA

Postby Sysillia » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:57 am

Merni wrote:
Sysillia wrote:snip

Tech Support URL wrote:snip

Not sure what either of you are saying, but it doesn't seem to be related to this thread's topic (re-use of nation names after nations are CTE for some period) in any way.

Also, imposing arbitrary limits on nations leaving regions would not only hamper nations' ability to choose a region they want to be in (most people don't want to stay in the feeders), but also make R/D gameplay pretty much impossible.


yes it would so I'm stopping this topic, by the way, i have a question, if mods delete a nation, why cant they be restored...?
like just why???

here is an idea:

moderators can delete a nation but it can be restored, but when the nation is restored all progress is lost and the newly restored nation starts with 5 million citizens and is spawned in the feeders. this could particulary apply to deletion of nations and i think this could lower abuse and it also applies to name usage as deletion does the same thing too! :)

also im thanking Tech support for support, check out their region!

Region; Tech Support URL

[[[this is my first time on FORUM so i have totaly no idea what im doing]]]
Last edited by Sysillia on Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Aikoland
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1717
Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Corporate Bordello

Postby Aikoland » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:40 pm

Sysillia wrote:
Merni wrote:
Not sure what either of you are saying, but it doesn't seem to be related to this thread's topic (re-use of nation names after nations are CTE for some period) in any way.

Also, imposing arbitrary limits on nations leaving regions would not only hamper nations' ability to choose a region they want to be in (most people don't want to stay in the feeders), but also make R/D gameplay pretty much impossible.


yes it would so I'm stopping this topic, by the way, i have a question, if mods delete a nation, why cant they be restored...?
like just why???

here is an idea:

moderators can delete a nation but it can be restored, but when the nation is restored all progress is lost and the newly restored nation starts with 5 million citizens and is spawned in the feeders. this could particulary apply to deletion of nations and i think this could lower abuse and it also applies to name usage as deletion does the same thing too! :)

also im thanking Tech support for support, check out their region!

Region; Tech Support URL

[[[this is my first time on FORUM so i have totaly no idea what im doing]]]

I mean, the mods can restore nations, I've seen it happen a couple times in my nearly 12 years on this hellsite (on my main, before anyone goes 'but you joined in 2011'). It's very rare because deletion typically only happens after a nation gets multiple warnings, temp bans, etc and they've still shown no signs of being willing to follow the site rules, so it's not all too often that someone successfully gets their nation restored, it's usually only in cases of moderator mistakes (one case I know of was how, last year, the nation Gigaverse got deleted when the mods puppetswept all the accounts of the user Asigna because that user did have access to that account in the past, but their account was restored, presumably when the mods checked that Asigna's IPs hadn't accessed that account in years and therefore wasn't part of their current crop of alt-accounts)

Now as to why they won't do what you're saying: releasing deleted nation names and let people start all over with them. Well, the simple reason why is because nation deletion is a punishment, the nation name has been soiled and won't be released because that would kind of defeat the purpose. (Especially so because tons of nations that get deleted are just trolls who think it'd be funny to name their account something to do with genitalia, or swearing, or racial slurs, etc. What would the point in letting names like 'Fuk the Mods' back into the game?)
♥ L'Empire d'Aikoland ♥
Trois États, Une Impératrice
Official Flag|Factbook|Q&A

A small Francophone nation located on a group of islands to the south of France. Primary territory of the nation consists of three main islands, the states as described in our national motto, along with smaller less populated islands surrounding them.
Official Nation Name: The Empire of Aikoland
Government Type: Parliamentary constitutional monarchy
Head of State: Empress Élisabeth IV
Head of Government: Prime Minister Mélodie Bélanger
Population: 5.8 million
Official Language: French
Current Year: 2021

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Unibot III

Advertisement

Remove ads