NATION

PASSWORD

Nation name release!

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:26 pm

Hyakkaou wrote: it'd probably take a fair bit of work.

As in "rebuilding the game from scratch". It's been discussed at length in the past, and that's the only solution. We already have a unique ID for each nation in addition to the nation name, so we don't really need a new one like a Discord handle ... but that Unique ID can't be parsed to the whole game without a full rebuild.

tl;dr: not gonna happen.

Phydios
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phydios » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:31 pm

Hyakkaou wrote:Actually, another thought - although it'd probably take a fair bit of work... what about just making usernames like in Discord? Sure, you can call yourself "XYZAB", but in reality you'd be "XYZAB#CDEF". It's a bit dumb maybe, but... I still think usernames have to be unlocked earlier or something. See my previous examples in this thread, or examples where they've logged in like four times, got a large population, then vanished like the Avatar, their username unavailable for 100 years.

I believe that this is also a no-go. It's been brought up before, and the problem is always that a "display name" would allow players to impersonate others.
If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. | Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’
James 1:26-27, Matthew 7:21-23

Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:48 pm

Also, don't nations founded in antiquity not have an ID?

Holland DS6
Envoy

Founded: Dec 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Holland DS6 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:35 pm

Comfed wrote:Also, don't nations founded in antiquity not have an ID?

I am quite sure that all nations have an ID, regardless of their founding date
If you want to send me any cards, best if you send it to this one, Holland DS6, I just need more bank on this account if I want to upgrade the limit, but I just keep wanting to buy cards worth more, cards I like or cards for a collection that I am working on, I already had a lot of cards in the catagory, so mind as well make it an official collection that I could possibly already complete. I try not to break the rules, so if I do it by accident, please just tell me mods, although it would have to be through the TG only for mods, like Ransium had to due to class region. I didn't really check for spellings, so it may be a little unclear, sorry. :P More in my factbook on card+gifts.
Finally getting my own card soon!

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:49 pm

Holland DS6 wrote:
Comfed wrote:Also, don't nations founded in antiquity not have an ID?

I am quite sure that all nations have an ID, regardless of their founding date

IIRC Nation IDs were added with the new TG system in 2013. IDs were allocated to nations from that point onwards based on when they logged in, which means nations that had CTE'd prior to that date never had any ID because they haven't logged in since then.

You can see the ID listed for a nation here, and it's "ancient" version that CTE'd prior to 2013 with no ID.
https://www.nationstates.net/page=boney ... ew_zealand
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Ghost Land
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 14, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Ghost Land » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:21 am

SherpDaWerp wrote:
Holland DS6 wrote:I am quite sure that all nations have an ID, regardless of their founding date

IIRC Nation IDs were added with the new TG system in 2013. IDs were allocated to nations from that point onwards based on when they logged in, which means nations that had CTE'd prior to that date never had any ID because they haven't logged in since then.

You can see the ID listed for a nation here, and it's "ancient" version that CTE'd prior to 2013 with no ID.
https://www.nationstates.net/page=boney ... ew_zealand

I have some old puppets that ceased to exist in 2012 and have ID numbers; someone must have tried to telegram them after that or something?

Other than being unable to explain that, from my understanding you're 100% correct.
Forum account/puppet of 60s Music.
Originally joined 24 April 2012.
All lives matter. Race, age, and gender are unimportant.
Me OOC
Awesome/Funny Quotes
Right-wing libertarian
This nation reflects the OPPOSITE of my views.
Pro: Donald Trump, tougher border laws, 1st/2nd Amendments, benevolent dictators, libertarianism, capitalism
Anti: Democratic Party, The Clintons, Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, abortion, gun control, #MeToo, communism, racism and racial nationalism, affirmative action, SJWs

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:36 am

Nations founded before the DBID system were assigned a ID on their next login.

Example, I founded Traci Lords waaay back in 2003 sometime and then promptly forgot about it until mid 2018. That nation was assigned its DBID in 2018.
Last edited by Luna Amore on Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

Kosovo Royal Empire
Civilian

Founded: Dec 07, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Kosovo Royal Empire » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:27 pm

Luna Amore wrote:
Sysillia wrote:
yes it would so I'm stopping this topic, by the way, i have a question, if mods delete a nation, why cant they be restored...?
like just why???

here is an idea:

moderators can delete a nation but it can be restored, but when the nation is restored all progress is lost and the newly restored nation starts with 5 million citizens and is spawned in the feeders. this could particulary apply to deletion of nations and i think this could lower abuse and it also applies to name usage as deletion does the same thing too! :)

also im thanking Tech support for support, check out their region!

Region; Tech Support URL

[[[this is my first time on FORUM so i have totaly no idea what im doing]]]

Nations deleted for rule breaking are not able to be refounded, allowing that would defeat the purpose of deletion as punishment.

As a side note, none of this is the topic of the thread. Nor is your puppet's region. Using multiple nations to chat with yourself and advertise your region is 100% spam so knock it off.

there's a nation I want to restore that got deleted by a mod but this was an actually a mistake of course it's the nation of kosovoempire it got deleted for being a puppet of South Ceeio
but he was actually a founder of a region called kosovoworld which had many nations at the time and mostly all the officers of that region were deleted by mods this was actually a huge mistake the mods need to restore this nation :)

Toonu Empire
Secretary

Founded: Jan 18, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

[Q] Inactive nation

Postby Toonu Empire » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:54 am

Hello,
I am trying to create a new nation which I am managing in one roleplay setting for quite some time named The Empire of Iconia which is meant to replace my current nation here in NS, unfortunately there is already ex-nation which has been inactive for 6 years with the same name. Is there anything that can be done about the inactive nation or to allow creation of nation with same name?

Thank you for any information.

Honeydewistania
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Honeydewistania » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:56 am

Toonu Empire wrote:Hello,
I am trying to create a new nation which I am managing in one roleplay setting for quite some time named The Empire of Iconia which is meant to replace my current nation here in NS, unfortunately there is already ex-nation which has been inactive for 6 years with the same name. Is there anything that can be done about the inactive nation or to allow creation of nation with same name?

No. That nation has over 4 billion population, it'll likely never be available for your use.
Home of the first best pizza topping known to NationStates | Prolific Security Council Author (15x resolutions written) | Not that one fraud, Pineappleistania(ew) | Mouthpiece for Melons' first-rate SC takes | read this please

Alger wrote:if you have egoquotes in your signature, touch grass

Toonu Empire
Secretary

Postby Toonu Empire » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:02 pm

Honeydewistania wrote:
Toonu Empire wrote:Hello,

No. That nation has over 4 billion population, it'll likely never be available for your use.

Population is high, that is true, but at the same time the user has been inactive for 6 years, which is quite a lot and within the 5y condition.
Last edited by Toonu Empire on Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aikoland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Aikoland » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:21 pm

Toonu Empire wrote:
Honeydewistania wrote:No. That nation has over 4 billion population, it'll likely never be available for your use.

Population is high, that is true, but at the same time the user has been inactive for 6 years, which is quite a lot and within the 5y condition.

It doesn't matter that the nation hasn't existed for six years. It's nations that have been inactive for at least five years and with less than 500 million population that can have their name released*, it isn't a 'one or the other' thing.

*And didn't found an extant region, isn't mentioned in the history of an extant region, didn't author/wasn't subject of a WA resolution (including UN resolutions), wasn't a mod/admin, wasn't deleted by a mod/admin, or isn't otherwise marked as blocked from being reused
Last edited by Aikoland on Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♥ L'Empire d'Aikoland ♥
Trois États, Une Impératrice
Official Flag|Factbook|Q&A
The middle character in my flag is a boy
A small Francophone nation located on a group of islands to the south of France. Primary territory of the nation consists of three main islands, the states as described in our national motto, along with smaller less populated islands surrounding them.
Official Nation Name: The Empire of Aikoland
Government Type: Parliamentary constitutional monarchy
Head of State: Empress Élisabeth IV
Head of Government: Prime Minister Mélodie Bélanger
Population: 6.07 million (2023 estimate)
Official Language: French
Current Year: 2023

Toonu Empire
Secretary

Postby Toonu Empire » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:53 am

Aikoland wrote:
Toonu Empire wrote:

It doesn't matter that the nation hasn't existed for six years. It's nations that have been inactive for at least five years and with less than 500 million population that can have their name released*, it isn't a 'one or the other' thing.

*And didn't found an extant region, isn't mentioned in the history of an extant region, didn't author/wasn't subject of a WA resolution (including UN resolutions), wasn't a mod/admin, wasn't deleted by a mod/admin, or isn't otherwise marked as blocked from being reused

I thought the requirements are not mutually inclusive and that one of them is enough. Therefore if nation is over 5 years inactive, then we dont need any of the other requirements. Well that sucks that you need to have them all together...Any chance the requirements will change sometimes soon? It is hard to get them all at the same time.

Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:56 am

Or you could think of a similar, but slightly different name.

However, I also think that the permanent reservation population requirement should be upped to one billion population.

Quartia and Karafuto
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 26, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Quartia and Karafuto » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:58 am

Luna Amore wrote:
Sysillia wrote:
yes it would so I'm stopping this topic, by the way, i have a question, if mods delete a nation, why cant they be restored...?
like just why???

here is an idea:

moderators can delete a nation but it can be restored, but when the nation is restored all progress is lost and the newly restored nation starts with 5 million citizens and is spawned in the feeders. this could particulary apply to deletion of nations and i think this could lower abuse and it also applies to name usage as deletion does the same thing too! :)

also im thanking Tech support for support, check out their region!

Region; Tech Support URL

[[[this is my first time on FORUM so i have totaly no idea what im doing]]]

Nations deleted for rule breaking are not able to be refounded, allowing that would defeat the purpose of deletion as punishment.

As a side note, none of this is the topic of the thread. Nor is your puppet's region. Using multiple nations to chat with yourself and advertise your region is 100% spam so knock it off.

How would that defeat the purpose? No one is going to be waiting 5 years to refound a nation that was banned. There's absolutely no reason not to release such names after 5 years, unless the name itself was the reason for the ban.
My nation - which is pretty much just a unified Korea with some extra territory - represents my real views. NS stats only broadly correct, trust the factbooks over them. Feel free to call me Q&K, Quartia, or any other nickname.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:10 pm

Quartia and Karafuto wrote:There's absolutely no reason not to release such names after 5 years,

Yes there is. The way the game is set up, a new nation will "inherit" and RMB or forum posts made by the prior nation of the same name. Given that most nations are banned either for their names or their content on the site, all aspects of those nations needs to remain banned.

Parhe
Powerbroker

Founded: May 10, 2011
Anarchy

Nation name release!

Postby Parhe » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:05 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Corinthina wrote:What would it take to get a request to a 750m population limit

We've suggested it. It hasn't been acted on. There are other priorities for limited admin time at the moment.

This is a more positive response than I expected. Well, I guess it is time to look up some choice names again in the Boneyard. Just in case things change.

Arumdaum wrote:
Ghost Land wrote:Some people were pretty much hoarding names to the point of collecting hundreds or thousands, just sitting there in puppet storage regions as though trophies. This is especially true with, as mentioned, real-world names, two-letter names, and names of notable people and fictional characters.

Regarding notable RL names, though, would anyone use them for anything other than a trophy?

Is there a better use for names?

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Sysillia wrote:what if you Changed the name in the database and chaning names could be possible?

As long-time players already know, the core game is not built in a database. If it were, and we used something other than nation names as the key field, your suggestion would make sense. As it currently stands, it's not possible without entirely rebuilding the game.

I knew none of this.

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Quartia and Karafuto wrote:There's absolutely no reason not to release such names after 5 years,

Yes there is. The way the game is set up, a new nation will "inherit" and RMB or forum posts made by the prior nation of the same name. Given that most nations are banned either for their names or their content on the site, all aspects of those nations needs to remain banned.

. . .wait. . .seriously? That sounds problematic even for nations that were not banned.
Hey, it is Parhe :D I am always open to telegrams.
I know it is a Work-In-Progress, but I would love it if y'all looked at my new factbook and gave me some feedback!

BRING BACK THE ICE CLIMBERS

Wymondham
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 03, 2017
Libertarian Police State

Postby Wymondham » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:22 am

Comfed wrote:Or you could think of a similar, but slightly different name.

However, I also think that the permanent reservation population requirement should be upped to one billion population.

I think this would be an excellent improvement, 500 million population is chicken feed these days
Doer of the things and the stuffs.
That British dude who does the charity fundraiser.

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:43 am

Wymondham wrote:
Comfed wrote:Or you could think of a similar, but slightly different name.

I think this would be an excellent improvement, 500 million population is chicken feed these days

That would just be pushing the problem down the road. As a wise person once said:

Flanderlion wrote:I don't think this should be a priority. At some distant point the reuse policy should be updated:

Instead of 5 years under X population, it should be 5 + number of billion population years. So if I have a 1 billion pop nation that CTEs, someone can refound it 6 years later, but if I had a 20 billion pop nation it should be 25 years later. Essentially it's approximately 5 years + double the time the nation has been alive.
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Sysillia
Secretary

Founded: Nov 14, 2019

Postby Sysillia » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:53 am

Flanderlion wrote:
Wymondham wrote:I think this would be an excellent improvement, 500 million population is chicken feed these days

That would just be pushing the problem down the road. As a wise person once said:

Flanderlion wrote:I don't think this should be a priority. At some distant point the reuse policy should be updated:

Instead of 5 years under X population, it should be 5 + number of billion population years. So if I have a 1 billion pop nation that CTEs, someone can refound it 6 years later, but if I had a 20 billion pop nation it should be 25 years later. Essentially it's approximately 5 years + double the time the nation has been alive.

actually instead of 5 years only im thinking they could make it depend on the population but it should be lowered to 3 years. for example, if the nation has 10 Billion people, and it CTE in 2020, people should be able to refound it in 2023. This is the same idea as Flanderlion but i think 5 years + is a bit too much dont you think?

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:38 am

Sysillia wrote:
Flanderlion wrote:That would just be pushing the problem down the road. As a wise person once said:

actually instead of 5 years only im thinking they could make it depend on the population but it should be lowered to 3 years. for example, if the nation has 10 Billion people, and it CTE in 2020, people should be able to refound it in 2023. This is the same idea as Flanderlion but i think 5 years + is a bit too much dont you think?

5 years is the status quo for nations who cease to exist now below the threshold. So if a player has put in more effort to a nation than the 500 mil pop ones that are given 5 years, then they should have more than 5 years?
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Glimerusa
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Glimerusa » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:50 pm

Alright yall, I'm in a bit of a kerfuffle here and I can't seem to understand why. I assume the rules have changed since the OP, duh, but what about the five-year waiting limit to get some nation's name? Has that changed too? I'm trying to get the name of an account that ceased to exist more than six years ago, and it has a population of over 2 billion, but I can't seem to refound it, what's with that?

~Thanks in advance, Glim.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:06 pm

Glimerusa wrote:Alright yall, I'm in a bit of a kerfuffle here and I can't seem to understand why. I assume the rules have changed since the OP, duh, but what about the five-year waiting limit to get some nation's name? Has that changed too? I'm trying to get the name of an account that ceased to exist more than six years ago, and it has a population of over 2 billion, but I can't seem to refound it, what's with that?

Nations with over 500 million population can’t be reused.

Glimerusa
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Glimerusa » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:15 pm

Luna Amore wrote:
Glimerusa wrote:Alright yall, I'm in a bit of a kerfuffle here and I can't seem to understand why. I assume the rules have changed since the OP, duh, but what about the five-year waiting limit to get some nation's name? Has that changed too? I'm trying to get the name of an account that ceased to exist more than six years ago, and it has a population of over 2 billion, but I can't seem to refound it, what's with that?

Well that's certainly a bummer, thanks for the clarification though.

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:40 pm

Luna Amore wrote:

There are two threads regarding changing that at the moment. Has the moderation team discussed these proposals?
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical