NATION

PASSWORD

Glitch being abused

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:01 am

Augustus Este wrote:
Mahaj wrote:Violet, there is a way without URL manipulation. I'd love to show you, but I don't want to make it public knowledge. If there's some way I could contact you and show it to you, i'd gladly do so.

The reason we should be able to is that it allows us to shave time off our movements. Just a second, mind, but it could be important in some circumstances.

If this loophole "wasn't that effective" then why bother hiding how to do it?

This is just another continuation of the trend of technical oligopolies, where only a few regions have access to tools, scrips and codes that give them a boost over other regions.

This is a political simulator, not a battlefield for people's knowledge of coding.

Ballotonia wrote:
Invading should seriously be stopped. It was never intended in the first place.

Ballotonia

Invading doesn't require coding.

One of the reason's given for not banning it has been that it is within the framework of how the WA delegacy position works, and there is no technical way to differentiate between a peaceful delegacy change or an internal native conflict, and raiding.

Its not hard to figure out. Doesn't require too much skill.
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Augustus Este
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Augustus Este » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:03 am

Mahaj wrote:
Augustus Este wrote:
If this loophole "wasn't that effective" then why bother hiding how to do it?

This is just another continuation of the trend of technical oligopolies, where only a few regions have access to tools, scrips and codes that give them a boost over other regions.

This is a political simulator, not a battlefield for people's knowledge of coding.

Invading doesn't require coding.

One of the reason's given for not banning it has been that it is within the framework of how the WA delegacy position works, and there is no technical way to differentiate between a peaceful delegacy change or an internal native conflict, and raiding.

People said that about scripts too

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:07 am

Augustus Este wrote:
Mahaj wrote:

This can be done in five seconds.
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Augustus Este
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Augustus Este » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:48 am

Mahaj wrote:
Augustus Este wrote:

This can be done in five seconds.

It still requires knowledge that was not widely available until recently

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:24 pm

Augustus Este wrote:It still requires knowledge that was not widely available until recently

Raiding and defending require knowledge not readily available. Stop being a Luddite.

Augustus Este
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Augustus Este » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:35 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Augustus Este wrote:It still requires knowledge that was not widely available until recently

Raiding and defending require knowledge not readily available. Stop being a Luddite.

I'm not against technology, I'm against turning this game into something its not.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:37 pm

Augustus Este wrote:
Glen-Rhodes wrote:Raiding and defending require knowledge not readily available. Stop being a Luddite.

I'm not against technology, I'm against turning this game into something its not.

Which is exactly what was said when raiding first started. This has become circular.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Evil Wolf
Minister

Founded: Apr 28, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:37 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:

Yeah, knowledge, but not URL specific knowledge. Isn't the Crasher/Defender game complex enough without this? We already have D&D sized instruction manuals on just the basics and its hard enough to get newbies to stay in the game as it is, never mind those trying to start off on their own. To those newbies, the Magic Endoball might as well be just that, magic, because they aren't going to be able to figure it out on their own...which is why people like Unibot and Mahaj are hesitant to hand out their "other" method to the general public, to keep the newbies confused and in the dark.
It's ok! You can trust me! I've been Commended!

Kryozerkia wrote:In the good old days raiding was illegal
Crazy Girl wrote:Invading was never illegal
[violet] wrote:There is supposed to be an invasion game.

Mallorea and Riva should be a Game Moderator Game Administrator.

Augustus Este
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Augustus Este » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:38 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Augustus Este wrote:

Which is exactly what was said when raiding first started. This has become circular.

People thought that raiding and defending wasn't political?

Thats odd.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:39 pm

Augustus Este wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Which is exactly what was said when raiding first started. This has become circular.

Thats odd.

Using subterfuge and technological advancements in war is at least as valid.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Augustus Este
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Augustus Este » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:45 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Augustus Este wrote:

Thats odd.

Using subterfuge and technological advancements in war is at least as valid.

I guess perhaps I am attacking the wrong thing then, It would be foolish to not use something that presented its self, like this.

Doesn't change my opinion on technical loopholes existing though.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:51 pm

Augustus Este wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Using subterfuge and technological advancements in war is at least as valid.

I guess perhaps I am attacking the wrong thing then, It would be foolish to not use something that presented its self, like this.

Doesn't change my opinion on technical loopholes existing though.

I think the thing to remember is that this "loophole"
  1. Is not malicious in any way,
  2. Does not give a valid endorsement until both nations are in the same region, thereby following the Rule on endorsements,
  3. Has existed for at least seven years with no ill effects,
  4. Is therefore an established part of the invader/defender gameplay mechanisms,
  5. and of course it is more or less common knowledge.
These things being the case, I fail to see what has been gained by removing the ability to do so. The "Magic" Endorsement did not take away anything from the game, and it in fact added an interesting level to Raider/Defender Gameplay.
Ideological Bulwark #253

Commander Halcones
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Commander Halcones » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:55 pm

Only until recently did this become known to all. Before then, it was more secretive. I wonder what other manipulative tricks the fendas have up their sleeves, that they hold to themselves. Being able to manipulate the endorsement feature of the game makes liberations impossible to defeat, as long as the fendas have the ability to be able to coordinate properly, some of whom do.

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:07 pm

Commander Halcones wrote:Only until recently did this become known to all. Before then, it was more secretive. I wonder what other manipulative tricks the fendas have up their sleeves, that they hold to themselves. Being able to manipulate the endorsement feature of the game makes liberations impossible to defeat, as long as the fendas have the ability to be able to coordinate properly, some of whom do.

Meaningless speculation. If you want to know, use spies like any other military would.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:09 pm

Commander Halcones wrote:Only until recently did this become known to all. Before then, it was more secretive. I wonder what other manipulative tricks the fendas have up their sleeves, that they hold to themselves. Being able to manipulate the endorsement feature of the game makes liberations impossible to defeat, as long as the fendas have the ability to be able to coordinate properly, some of whom do.

That's downright incorrect Halc, and you know it. The raiders will always have the advantage when it comes to a liberation or a simple raid, since defenders are either reactionary (as in a defense, where the magic endo is not used), or attempting to retake a fortified position (where it can be used). You know as well as I do, if not even better, that precision timing is required for either a liberation or a raid. Liberating a region with the Endorsement method is the equivalent of pre-endorsing a defender lead and then jumping in, timing is what is important. A perfect move time is extremely difficult to calculate perfectly, and to execute it is far more difficult. Variance ensures competition in our little game, as you well know.

Edited to include the obvious fact that in the seven years that have passed since the advent of this method, raiders have still managed to defeat liberations. It is not an unfair advantage in any sense of the word.
Last edited by Mallorea and Riva on Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ideological Bulwark #253

Evil Wolf
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:10 pm

Actually, I knew about this glitch since at least 06-07 but was under the impression it had stopped working around the time Influence was introduced to the game.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:13 pm

Evil Wolf wrote:Actually, I knew about this glitch since at least 06-07 but was under the impression it had stopped working around the time Influence was introduced to the game.

Out of curiosity what led you to believe that?
Ideological Bulwark #253

Tikal Wolf
Attaché

Founded: May 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tikal Wolf » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:16 pm

Ballotonia wrote:
Commander Halcones wrote:This manipulation of URLs should seriously be stopped. It was never intended in the first place.

Invading should seriously be stopped. It was never intended in the first place.

Ballotonia

Invading was intended in the first place, actually.

The game rules allow you to 1. Get elected 2. Use your powers as you see fit.
Tikal

Lone Wolves United - Former Khan

~Raiding Demystified~ | ~Scardino Pact~ | ~#LWU~

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:24 pm

When I asked the mods in a GHR about URL modification:
It would seem obvious to me that the fact that this was fixed would indicate we do not feel it a legitimate or legal tactic.

This is what I got. I asked for further clarification but it seems right now, as they say, the practice is not seen as legit or legal in their eyes.
Last edited by The Republic of Lanos on Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:25 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:When I asked the mods in a GHR about URL modification:
It would seem obvious to me that the fact that this was fixed would indicate we do not feel it a legitimate or legal tactic.

This is what I got. I asked for further clarification but it seems right now, as they say, the practice is not seen as legit or legal in their eyes.

Errr then why on earth was it both allowed for seven years, and vindicated by a moderator in this very thread?
Ideological Bulwark #253

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:30 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
The Republic of Lanos wrote:When I asked the mods in a GHR about URL modification:

Errr then why on earth was it both allowed for seven years, and vindicated by a moderator in this very thread?

Sedge isn't a game mod, much less a coding admin who has the authority to fix game code. It seems they don't condone URL modification but I asked for further clarification for a clear answer. If an admin (or a group of game mods) says this isn't legal, then it isn't.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:32 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Errr then why on earth was it both allowed for seven years, and vindicated by a moderator in this very thread?

Sedge isn't a game mod, much less a coding admin who has the authority to fix game code. It seems they don't condone URL modification but I asked for further clarification for a clear answer. If an admin (or a group of game mods) says this isn't legal, then it isn't.

Indeed but since the code is already changed this has essentially turned into an appeal of Administrator ruling on a technical issue. So my earlier comments still stand, and await an answer from either the Hivemind or the OverMind.
Ideological Bulwark #253

Evil Wolf
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:40 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Evil Wolf wrote:Actually, I knew about this glitch since at least 06-07 but was under the impression it had stopped working around the time Influence was introduced to the game.

Out of curiosity what led you to believe that?

I honestly don't recall, but something made me believe it was no longer viable, at least for the way we knew how to do it at the time. Since then I had pushed it completely out of my mind and not thought about it again until we discovered Unibot was using it on liberation attempts.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:42 pm

Evil Wolf wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Out of curiosity what led you to believe that?

I honestly don't recall, but something made me believe it was no longer viable, at least for the way we knew how to do it at the time. Since then I had pushed it completely out of my mind and not thought about it again until we discovered Unibot was using it on liberation attempts.

When you first learned about it did you report it to the Moderation/Admins?
Ideological Bulwark #253

Evil Wolf
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:50 pm

No, but then again we never used it, it was just a neat trick to us, but I didn't like the security risks it posed.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical