NATION

PASSWORD

Glitch being abused

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Evil Wolf
Minister

Founded: Apr 28, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:04 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:\The pre-ban cannot be done. The coding is there, but I have been informed by others that it is blocked since it would violate game rules (or something to that effect).

Right, so that code glitch is bad and illegal, but this one is nice and cheeky. That makes sense...oh wait, no it doesn't. If ADMIN wanted us to endorse nations before entering the region, I am inclined to believe we'd have that option visibly coded into the game and not via a round about code glitch exploitation and one that carries with it some serious security problems. I'd love to hear what ADMIN has to say about this, however, especially [v].
Last edited by Evil Wolf on Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's ok! You can trust me! I've been Commended!

Kryozerkia wrote:In the good old days raiding was illegal
Crazy Girl wrote:Invading was never illegal
[violet] wrote:There is supposed to be an invasion game.

Mallorea and Riva should be a Game Moderator Game Administrator.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:11 pm

Evil Wolf wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:\The pre-ban cannot be done. The coding is there, but I have been informed by others that it is blocked since it would violate game rules (or something to that effect).

Right, so that code glitch is bad and illegal, but this one is nice and cheeky. That makes sense...oh wait, no it doesn't. If ADMIN wanted us to endorse nations before entering the region, I am inclined to believe we'd have that option visibly coded into the game and not via a round about code glitch exploitation and one that carries with it some serious security problems. I'd love to hear what ADMIN has to say about this, however, especially [v].

Sigh
EW you're missing three very important facts.
  1. It is a pre-endorsement. Not an actual endorsement. There is a highly important difference.
  2. Sedge's statement here
  3. And Ballo's statement here.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Evil Wolf
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:18 pm

When the nation moves into the region it translates all the same. They are purposefully endorsing nations, no matter how you want to phrase it, without being in the region via exploiting the code, don't act like its something innocent and accidental. Don't tell me its not an "actual" endorsement because the game code certainly can't tell the difference. Justify it all you want, the end results are still the same.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:24 pm

Evil Wolf wrote:When the nation moves into the region it translates all the same. They are purposefully endorsing nations, no matter how you want to phrase it, without being in the region via exploiting the code, don't act like its something innocent and accidental. Don't tell me its not an "actual" endorsement because the game code certainly can't tell the difference. Justify it all you want, the end results are still the same.

Incorrect. The game code CAN tell the difference, which is why the endorsement is only valid once the nations share a region. It is obviously not accidental, it is a legitimate method that has been approved by the moderation staff. Please list the reasons the feature should be removed, since it has already been stated that it is legal.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Mahaj
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:30 pm

Evil Wolf wrote:Right, so here is my question to defenders.

When we raiders find the code that allows us to pre-ban you guys, are ya'll going to have a small conniption fit? When does the code abuse go too far? Will it ultimately be that defenders will be endorsing pointmen and raider leads banning them before they even set foot in the region?

Where does the line get draw if not at this "pre-endorsing" tactic?

I actually tested specifically to see if a pre-ban like that would work, similar to magic endorsements. It doesn't.
Aal Izz Well: UDL
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<@Eluvatar> Why is SkyDip such a purist raiderist
<+frattastan> Because his region was never raided.
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Evil Wolf
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:34 pm

Let me frame this in another light. Is it not true that, under normal game conditions, if a nation enters a region, endorses a nation, and leaves that "endorsement space" as I will call it, stays on the nation until update? You're quite correct in saying that the endorsement "doesn't count" but in the end its all semantics. Defenders are exploiting the code, as in typing a long ass, nation specific code into the address bar for the purpose of attaching this "endorsement space" onto a nation in a region they are not in and, in most cases, have never been in before. Under normal game conditions, you would not be able to do this with without physically moving your nation into the region. I know how the glitch works.

Again, you're diving into the semantics of the issue to blur the line while I'm trying to stay on target here and and argue that is it a code exploitation that specifically involves doing something the game would not normally allow to happen in that specific way. Its arguably dangerous, security wise, and has the potential to be exploited for other less than "legal" purposes.

The issue here is not if it is currently legal or not, I get and understand that it current is. The issue here is should the loophole in the code that allows the glitch be closed? That's why I'm waiting on ADMIN to show up and put their two cents in.
Last edited by Evil Wolf on Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:40 pm

Evil Wolf wrote:Let me frame this in another light. Is it not true that, under normal game conditions, if a nation enters a region, endorses a nation, and leaves that "endorsement space" as I will call it, stays on the nation until update? You're quite correct in saying that the endorsement "doesn't count" but in the end its all semantics. Defenders are exploiting the code, as in typing a long ass, nation specific code into the address bar for the purpose of attaching this "endorsement space" onto a nation in a region they are not in and, in most cases, have never been in before. Under normal game conditions, you would not be able to do with without physically moving your nation into the region. I know how the glitch works.

Again, you're diving into the semantics of the issue to blur the line while I'm trying to stay on target here and and argue that is it a code exploitation that specifically involves doing something the game would not normally allow to happen in that specific way. Its dangerous and has the potential to be exploited for other less than "legal" purposes.

The issue here is not if it is currently legal or not, I get and understand that it current is. The issue here is should the loophole in the code that allows the glitch be closed? That's why I'm waiting on ADMIN to show up and put their two cents in.

Just as mentioned in the 2nd page, the code could gain access to another person's nation but only if the exploiter had the specific nation's address. He could go on from there to attack other nations.

There's always a potential exploit in any code, no matter how well written it is. If this can cause enough problems (and when I say problems I mean hacking nations, screwing up the game engine, fucking up NS in general problems) the admins will seal it. For now, there are no problems.

Mahaj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:45 pm

Evil Wolf wrote:Let me frame this in another light. Is it not true that, under normal game conditions, if a nation enters a region, endorses a nation, and leaves that "endorsement space" as I will call it, stays on the nation until update? You're quite correct in saying that the endorsement "doesn't count" but in the end its all semantics. Defenders are exploiting the code, as in typing a long ass, nation specific code into the address bar for the purpose of attaching this "endorsement space" onto a nation in a region they are not in and, in most cases, have never been in before. Under normal game conditions, you would not be able to do this with without physically moving your nation into the region. I know how the glitch works.

Again, you're diving into the semantics of the issue to blur the line while I'm trying to stay on target here and and argue that is it a code exploitation that specifically involves doing something the game would not normally allow to happen in that specific way. Its arguably dangerous, security wise, and has the potential to be exploited for other less than "legal" purposes.

Worth noting that Tikal's 'method' is *not* the preferred method.
<Koth> I'm still going by the assumption that Mahaj is Unibot's kid brother or something
Kandarin(Naivetry): You're going to have a great NS career ahead of you if you want it, Mahaj. :)
<+maxbarry> EarthAway: I guess I might dabble in raiding just to experience it better, but I would not like to raid regions of natives, so I'd probably be more interested in defense and liberations

Topid
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:54 pm

Actually maybe it should be closed... Not because it creates an unfair advantage or because it is wrong to exploit the game code in a way max said we could exploit the game code. (Both very silly arguments.) But as we see on page 2 if this becomes common place and new nations start trying to figure out how to do it, it is very likely they will share their code not knowing what it means. It probably isn't worth that.

We've already established that the delegate in the (not-so)unjust example had time to press two ban buttons. Which means all the defenders in this case had time to press one endorse button. The idea that this creates a massive unfair advantage is laughable, and is mainly the 'oh no we got beat, it must have been unfair because we're awesome' reaction. They'd have had you using the normal method, though, so moot point Tikal.

Now that update times are so uncertain from update to update, defenders are always going to need to move a few seconds early, they have time to press the button in the heat of the moment.
AKA Weed

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:11 pm

Topid wrote:But as we see on page 2 if this becomes common place and new nations start trying to figure out how to do it, it is very likely they will share their code not knowing what it means. It probably isn't worth that.

That would be nobody's fault but their own. The method in the OP is outdated. All modern browsers support live DOM manipulation, so dealing with the check parameter is unnecessary. Besides, the check code isn't permanent. I'm fairly sure it changes with each login. At the very least, it's different for me viewing it in Chrome and IE.

Evil Wolf wrote:Again, you're diving into the semantics of the issue to blur the line while I'm trying to stay on target here and and argue that is it a code exploitation that specifically involves doing something the game would not normally allow to happen in that specific way. Its arguably dangerous, security wise, and has the potential to be exploited for other less than "legal" purposes.

No, it's not dangerous "security wise." That's not arguable. If it were dangerous, it would have been fixed years ago. Magic endorsements are essentially aesthetic. They are not real endorsements. They don't affect the WA vote. They don't affect influence. And without moving into the region before update, they disappear. So, no security problems at all. I'm not even sure how else they can be used. What "less than legal" purposes can you envision?
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evil Wolf
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:12 pm

If it wasn't effective there would be no reason to use it, Topid. Don't act like it doesn't give a vital edge.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:17 pm

Evil Wolf wrote:If it wasn't effective there would be no reason to use it, Topid. Don't act like it doesn't give a vital edge.

There is no "vital edge" in using magic endorsements. It cuts out a single step, which takes a second, maybe two, to do. It's a convenience at most, helping cut down on relatively rare mistakes or issues, like a lagging browser. If it gave a "vital edge" to defenders, wouldn't you think defenders would have been using it all this time?

Evil Wolf
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:19 pm

Again, if it wasn't effective, it wouldn't be used. It gives an edge, deny it all you want, but the facts are fairly evident.
Last edited by Evil Wolf on Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:30 pm

Evil Wolf wrote:Again, if it wasn't effective, it wouldn't be used. It gives an edge, deny it all you want, but the facts are fairly evident.

Sleeping until noon in order to stay up for the major gives an edge, too. I suppose we should ensure that everybody wakes up in the morning.

Evil Wolf
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Evil Wolf » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:34 pm

I don't think that's something ADMIN can rule on, Glen :P

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:37 pm

Evil Wolf wrote:I don't think that's something ADMIN can rule on, Glen :P

Well, you're saying that anything that gives defenders an edge needs to be banned. Sleeping in gives us just as much of an edge as magic endorsements. I fail to see why you want one banned but not the other.

Topid
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:44 pm

Evil Wolf wrote:If it wasn't effective there would be no reason to use it, Topid. Don't act like it doesn't give a vital edge.

So do you deny that in the case Tikal is mad about, if the delegate had time to click two ban buttons the defenders had time to click one endorse button.

I actually don't see the advantage at all, so if it creates a security risk there is no reason to keep it. Defenders still have to move early or risk missing the update, so I wouldn't recommend using it, because you might as well be sending the raider lead a telegram announcing your liberation. The fact he/she was online and failed to stop it is surprising.
Last edited by Topid on Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA Weed

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:44 pm

Fixed: It's no longer possible to endorse nations outside your own region.

Mahaj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:45 pm

[violet] wrote:Fixed: It's no longer possible to endorse nations outside your own region.

Why? It was a perfectly legitimate tool that helped defenders. And its been around forever.

I think that its not a glitch, and it wasn't being abused, and should be reinstated.
Last edited by Mahaj on Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:46 pm

[violet] wrote:Fixed: It's no longer possible to endorse nations outside your own region.

Why? The consensus here seemed in favor of letting the exploit stay. It's been there for years, why change it now?

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:51 pm

Because it's a bug. You're not supposed to be able to endorse nations in other regions. The game says that in a few places.

Mahaj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:52 pm

[violet] wrote:Because it's a bug. You're not supposed to be able to endorse nations in other regions. The game says that in a few places.

But its a known 'bug', which has been known since 2004 and has been publicized since then.

why now? After one raider complained? That hardly seems fair.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:54 pm

[violet] wrote:Because it's a bug. You're not supposed to be able to endorse nations in other regions. The game says that in a few places.

Normally I would agree that exploits should be fixed, but after years of knowing it's there and not doing anything, it seems pretty unnecessary. Raiders are going to gloat and defenders are going to have one more thing to point to when discussing how they're always disadvantaged by the game admins. Especially considering the recent draconian and arbitrary "recruitment" rules by DLN, "fixing" this exploit only causes more problems and drama than leaving it in place.

Oliver the Mediocre
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Oliver the Mediocre » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:56 pm

Mahaj wrote:why now? After one raider complained? That hardly seems fair.

Because it's a bug, which implies that the program is broken in some way, and has been fixed. I've never used it. I didn't know it existed til now. I still think it's silly, because it lets you do something you shouldn't be able to do at all, and that's backed up by the game itself in most occasions. So I'm glad to see the bug is fixed.
Oliver Marlowe
Quote Love
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time."

Mahaj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mahaj » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:58 pm

Oliver the Mediocre wrote:
Mahaj wrote:why now? After one raider complained? That hardly seems fair.

Because it's a bug, which implies that the program is broken in some way, and has been fixed. I've never used it. I didn't know it existed til now. I still think it's silly, because it lets you do something you shouldn't be able to do at all, and that's backed up by the game itself in most occasions. So I'm glad to see the bug is fixed.

Its been used and known about for *7 years*.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical