NATION

PASSWORD

Suggestion: Insert-In-Quote button.

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Suggestion: Insert-In-Quote button.

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:29 am

This would be a button for Post Reply input field on the forums. Suggested name: Insert.

Currently, my method of "interjecting" in a post I'm replying to is:

Click Quote on the forum to open Reply window. Click where I want to interject in the post I'm replying to. Press Quote button with nothing selected:

Code: Select all
[quote]|[/quote]

(The "|" is to indicate cursor position)
then add one / and delete the other so it's like this:

[/quote][|quote]

(I do that before writing the reply inside, so I don't forget). Then move the cursor back one place and type in my interjection. Like this:

[/quote]No, you're talking complete rubbish blablahblah|[quote]

That is one button press, four repositionings of the cursor and two keystrokes. It's not terribly onerous, but I do it with almost every reply (I like the long posts).

The suggested button Insert would do this instead:

[/quote]|[quote]

...leaving the cursor in the middle. That is one reposition of the cursor and one button press.
Having no keystrokes it doesn't require switching between keyboard and mouse so would be much quicker.

It would be a lot easier for new users.

I also like to format the interjection with newlines to make it more readable, but not everyone does that or necessarily agrees with it. If it's seen as desirable the Insert button could do this instead:

[/quote]

|

[quote]

If this suggestion has been made before I apologize. I looked through Unibot's big list and couldn't see it there.
Last edited by AiliailiA on Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:05 am

These might be an inept or inapt suggestions, but if you're running out of space for more buttons:

"background=" could be shortened to "bg=" and moved next to "Font colour" which it's related to? (Hey, Aussie spelling, never noticed that before)

"region-tag" could be eliminated if "region-tag=" with a blank field as argument could be made to give the same result as "region-tag"

"List=" seems to produce the same result regardless of what digit is given as an argument. This could perhaps be changed to "0" for point list and "1" for ordered list, making "List" redundant? Blank field as an argument to count as "0"

"Font colour" could be shortened to "Colour" without being too confusing?
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Return to Technical