NATION

PASSWORD

Ok, so lemmie see if I understand this...

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Fictions
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 19, 2008
Ex-Nation

Ok, so lemmie see if I understand this...

Postby Fictions » Fri May 01, 2009 8:09 am

There is this forum... and there is the Jolt forum...

So, are they both permanent or what? I read that even if this does not blow up in a fiery explosion from hell the jolt forum will stay. is this true? So even if this works we will still have jolt as well? So in essence there are TWO forums?

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: Ok, so lemmie see if I understand this...

Postby Kryozerkia » Fri May 01, 2009 8:15 am

There are two forums because this one is in beta. We need to see how this forum will handle the load test. Once the boss and the senior staff are sure that the server can handle the demand, we will move forward. This is merely the transitional period. The other forum remains up for the duration.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 28, 2003
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Fri May 01, 2009 8:15 am

Fictions wrote:There is this forum... and there is the Jolt forum...

So, are they both permanent or what? I read that even if this does not blow up in a fiery explosion from hell the jolt forum will stay. is this true? So even if this works we will still have jolt as well? So in essence there are TWO forums?
For the foreseeable future, they're both permanent, but I believe the intention, if all goes well with the new forum, is that Jolt will be used primarily as an archive for the 4 million or so posts that are still on there and cannot be easily moved. The Jolt owners apparently have no desire to delete the old forums yet, so they'll stay.

Eventually, I think, its going to come up to moving people from one forum to another entirely when everything works out, because right now, everyone's bouncing back and forth between the two, which is getting a little confusing here and there.

EDIT: Ah! Beaten by Kryo! *shakes fist*
Last edited by Northrop-Grumman on Fri May 01, 2009 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fictions
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 19, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Fictions » Fri May 01, 2009 8:20 am

So... if that happens we will have our threads and post counts and whatnot?

Naivetry
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 02, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Fri May 01, 2009 8:33 am

From what I understand, no. Jolt has literally millions of posts, and it is much more efficient for server space not to repeat all of those here. Plus, there are administrative difficulties in moving information from Jolt. Important threads can be moved by hand, and you're encouraged to do so. Think of it as a moving sale, only better... you get to leave behind all the stuff that wasn't really worth keeping anyway, but it's still there for you to look at if you want.

As far as post counts, I doubt it, since the mods would have to synchronize those with the old forum by hand. The doors of opportunity have swung wide and the field is, for the moment, equal - carpe diem!

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Fri May 01, 2009 10:31 am

We can't get most of the stuff from Jolt because it's a sprawling corrupt bureaucracy that refuses to give you what you want even though you've filled out all the damn paperwork in triplicate. Really, it is a pain.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Donnegarten
Civilian

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Donnegarten » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:53 pm

Kryozerkia wrote:We can't get most of the stuff from Jolt because it's a sprawling corrupt bureaucracy that refuses to give you what you want even though you've filled out all the damn paperwork in triplicate. Really, it is a pain.

you really seem to know how the JOLTOMACIAN empire works

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical