NATION

PASSWORD

Nationstates Black/Dark Theme(Now available! Created by NG!)

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Optional Black/Dark Theme?

Yes, please.
75%
No, please.
11%
<Insert utterly ridiculous and irrelevant option here>, please.
13%

Total votes : 201

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Nationstates Black/Dark Theme(Now available! Created by NG!)

Postby Volnotova » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:03 pm

Last edited by Volnotova on Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
A very exclusive and exceptional ice crystal.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:39 pm

I'd support it as an option, but not as the only available setting.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:38 pm

Meryuma wrote:I'd support it as an option, but not as the only available setting.

Generally the white tends to hurt my eyes after a while.

On websites/forums with darker themes I tend to be less plagued by headaches and eye strain then forums/websites with lighter themes.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

Serviss
Envoy

Founded: Nov 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Serviss » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:48 pm

DONKEYS! I had to pick that option :lol:
Canada
Imperial Serviss Special Operations Regiment (ISSOR)
Imperial Serviss Navy (ISN)
Imperial Serviss Airforce (ISAF)
Imperial Serviss Army (ISA)
Imperial Serviss Orbital Defense Fleet (ISODF)
Emperor Scott Serviss
Lord Francis Lannister
Lord Lawrence Gibson
Lord Vincent Lorenze
Lord Cameron Lemoine
Lord Jacob Dempsay
Lord Michael Lawson
Lord Henry Robinson
Lord Nicholas Hall
Lord Carl Tyrion
Lord David Mills
Economic Left/Right: -2.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.31
Imperial Commonwealth League of Crowns member

America of Tomorrow
Secretary

Founded: Dec 11, 2005
Ex-Nation

Eh, mayhaps...

Postby America of Tomorrow » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:57 pm

It would be appealing to the eyes to do so, but probably not a related theme to the idea behind NationStates. I mean, we have Liberal, Conservative, and of course the natural Default and Antiquity themes. What would the color black represent? An eviler side of NationStates?
NSWiki | Female player | The Moon

Indeos
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Indeos » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:00 pm

America of Tomorrow wrote:It would be appealing to the eyes to do so, but probably not a related theme to the idea behind NationStates. I mean, we have Liberal, Conservative, and of course the natural Default and Antiquity themes. What would the color black represent? An eviler side of NationStates?

The fascist side, obviously.
Come listen to my mate at http://stressfactor.co.uk/new2007/home.html every Thursday, 5-6pm EST!
Or http://kraftyradio.com/ every Sunday, 6-7pm EST!
Or check out his SoundCloud(Free Music DL): http://soundcloud.com/sergeant-sheep
And for some cool art and electronics' skins(different friend): http://thesk.in/
‎"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster, and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
Dear Jenrak - Give cancer the banhammer!
Serious Name: The Imperial Fiefdoms of Indeos
NSG: Proud Honorary Son of the Sea Queen Of Connaught
Long Live The Community! Long Live Max!

Tchandra
Spokesperson

Founded: May 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tchandra » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:11 am

After careful consideration and meditation, I have concluded that "Donkeys" is the correct path to take.
Hello there.

Quality Play Time Is Here
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Quality Play Time Is Here » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:54 am

Yes, please.

Dark and pretty! :lol:
Congratulations, you've just had fun! ヽ(´ー`)人(´∇`)人(`Д´)ノ

Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.59

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:11 pm

Indeos wrote:
America of Tomorrow wrote:It would be appealing to the eyes to do so, but probably not a related theme to the idea behind NationStates. I mean, we have Liberal, Conservative, and of course the natural Default and Antiquity themes. What would the color black represent? An eviler side of NationStates?

Funny, black is always frequently used as the colour of Anarchism.

Rhodmhire
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodmhire » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:14 pm

What about a pretty glistening rainbow theme instead?
Part of me grew up here. But part of growing up is leaving parts of ourselves behind.

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:15 pm

Volnotova wrote:
Indeos wrote:

Funny, black is always frequently used as the colour of Anarchism.

I associate it with sexiness 8)
Fan of Transformers?|Fan of Star Trek?|你会说中文吗?
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals
Economics: Indifferent

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:15 pm

Yeah I would prefer a dark theme
Fan of Transformers?|Fan of Star Trek?|你会说中文吗?
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals
Economics: Indifferent

The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:16 pm

No thanks, I stay away from Dark Forums for a reason, they always seem as if I'm in some seedy basement bar of a forum. Keep it white, where I can least imagine I've been in the sun.
Your Resident Gentleman and Libertarian; presently living in the People's Republic of China, which is if anyone from the Party asks "The Best and Also Only China".
Christian Libertarian Autarchist: like an Anarchist but with more "Aut".
Social: Authoritarian/Libertarian (-8.55)
Economic: Left/Right (7.55)
We are the premiere of civilization, the beacon of liberty, the font of prosperity and the ever illuminating light of culture in this hellish universe.
In short: Elitist Wicked Cultured Free Market Anarchists living in a Diesel-Deco World.

Now Fearing: Mandarin Lessons from Cantonese teachers.
Factbook (FT)|Art Gallery|Embassy Program

Sakhnin
Lobbyist

Founded: May 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sakhnin » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:19 pm

Donkeys, infidels, Donkeys!

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:28 pm

The Merchant Republics wrote:No thanks, I stay away from Dark Forums for a reason, they always seem as if I'm in some seedy basement bar of a forum. Keep it white, where I can least imagine I've been in the sun.

Its an option, it won't be forced upon you.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:35 pm

Each new theme means that other updates to the site take longer to code, as they have to be adapted to/tested in the theme. Bear that in mind.

Greater Cabinda
Senator

Founded: Jun 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Cabinda » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:26 pm

'Twould be nice I suppose.

Wait, are we talking just a gameplay theme? Or a gameplay and forum theme?
No, I wasn't banned, but this profile is now inactive due to it being abandoned by it's owner...

New Conglomerate is his new profile. Also, the first person to telegram him at his new profile gets the link to his former flag.

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:31 pm

A forum theme, just a different colour scheme as the current one(both antiquity and century) hurts the eyes of a lot of people.

Call to power
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 13, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Call to power » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:49 pm

No.

1) it would look naff (1998 called it said it wants its horrible website design back)
2) science has found that white is best
http://sigs.aisnet.org/sighci/bit04/BIT_Hall.pdf
http://www.psycho.uni-duesseldorf.de/ab ... larity.pdf
3) people have been calling for a website redesign since 2009 when this era of nationstates began
The Parkus Empire wrote:Theoretically, why would anyone put anytime into anything but tobacco, intoxicants and sex?

Vareiln wrote:My god, CtP is right...
Not that you haven't been right before, but... Aw, hell, you get what I meant.

Tubbsalot wrote:replace my opinions with CtP's.

North Mack
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 27, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby North Mack » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:46 pm

Call to power wrote:No.

1) it would look naff (1998 called it said it wants its horrible website design back)

Everyone has their own opinion. If people think a dark theme for NS would look nice, who do you think you are to tell them they're wrong?

And? Science also tells us that deep fried twinkies are bad for you. That's a fact. Not a law. People can still eat deep fried twinkies to their hearts content, and they can do so while using a dark theme on NS.

Call to power wrote:3) people have been calling for a website redesign since 2009 when this era of nationstates began

And they got a redesign in 2011, in case your selective memory forgot that, which it seems to have. Why couldn't they have another?

Personally, I'd support a dark theme, even if only for the forums. I don't think it has to be anything radical, just a color shift, to ease the amount of testing that'd need to be done for new features (i.e. no different forms or layouts or anything, just different CSS colors)
T H E S T E L L A R R E P U B L I C O F N O R T H M A C K
Forged in Fire, Reforged in Blood
[ DeviantArt | NS FT Discord | The Local Cluster | FT Advice and Assistance Thread | The State of the Galaxy ]

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:41 pm

North Mack wrote:Personally, I'd support a dark theme, even if only for the forums. I don't think it has to be anything radical, just a color shift, to ease the amount of testing that'd need to be done for new features (i.e. no different forms or layouts or anything, just different CSS colors)

The latter one is what I was thinking of too.

No different layouts or anything, just a different color scheme.

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:53 pm

I think it would work plus if people don't like their theme being "darker" then they could always switch it back right?
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Kalaspia-Shimarata
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalaspia-Shimarata » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:12 pm

I'd love a theme like that!
Kalaspia-Shimarata's flag represents the Union between K&S. The dark blue represents the sea and the light blue represents the sky. In Kalashi language considers light blue and dark blue to be different colours. England colonised, and unified K&S, between 1774 and 1953, and English, light blue and dark blue are considered to be the same colour. Therefore, the contrast between dark blue and light blue represents the union, but the differences between K&S where as blue being two but simultaneously one colour represents K&S being two, but simultaniously one entity. The opposite to the symmetry represents the unity and indipendance of K&S, whilst also representing the Kalashi culture of opposite symmetry.KS is 75% Christian, hence the cross.

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:15 pm

Volnotova wrote:
Meryuma wrote:I'd support it as an option, but not as the only available setting.

Generally the white tends to hurt my eyes after a while.

On websites/forums with darker themes I tend to be less plagued by headaches and eye strain then forums/websites with lighter themes.

Yes I once woke up early and played NS but the white hurt my eyes so I lowered the brightness and its still hurt my eyes. A darker theme would be more appealing but it does take a lot for the mods to create it I suppose.
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Synavia
Secretary

Founded: Mar 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Synavia » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:08 pm

NS absolutely needs a dark theme. My eyes hurt after a while.

Oh, and the globe needs to be blue.
What's a triangle?
HAHAHAHAHA Made you look!
Beware the Attack of the Modems! BEEEWAAARE!
I think I'm awesome even though I'm not. At all.
If you hate sigs that tell you to copy and paste them into your sig, copy and paste this into your sig.
I am possibly the only person on the planet whose hair actually looks better after wearing a hat for an extended period of time.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical