NATION

PASSWORD

User names and Descriptions

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Mikertaz Kein
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

User names and Descriptions

Postby Mikertaz Kein » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:45 pm

There are many things that are user-editable, but I am wondering why these two things aren't.

1- Can we change our titles but not our names? There are many people out there who must want to chage their name, but do not want to start all over. Kinda like how the USSR renamed to Russia. Why can't we rename?

2- I am not really concerned with the descriptions as much as the names, but it would be cool if we had a small editable section below our description, like signitures in the forum.

Thank You for your time.
SLCENT

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: User names and Descriptions

Postby Unibot » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:07 pm

1. Perl (the language that the site is written in) makes this very hard to do. So renaming nations isn't a service offered anymore. But there is no limitations on how many nations you can have, so long as you don't have multiple nations in the WA!

2. A 'National Factbook Entry' as its called in recent months, has been suggested previously, by ....me, and a bunch of other people. If you take a looky at the Big list of Ideas on the Tech subforum, you'll see [violet] (the site admin) liked the concept.
Last edited by Unibot on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pythagosaurus
Cute Purple Dinosaur

Founded: Nov 24, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Pythagosaurus » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:29 pm

Unibot wrote:1. Perl (the language that the site is written in) makes this very hard to do.

No it doesn't. The site's architecture makes this hard to do. It's about the same reason you can't just change your e-mail address and suddenly have everybody start using your new one. We'd have to change references to your nation all over the place, such as other people's telegrams, RMB messages, dossiers, forum accounts, the WA, some mod tools, and password recovery. And you'd have to change your name to something nobody has ever used before, or else you run into all the problems involved in releasing old nation names, too (which [violet] does plan to do, I'm fairly sure).

Yes, we could set up a redirect, like you would with a new e-mail address, but that would still require coding, and I'd still expect some bugs to pop up in some of the aforementioned areas.

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:51 pm

No it doesn't.

Hhhm... I see.

Return to Technical