NATION

PASSWORD

Issues too extreme!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Idealismania
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Issues too extreme!

Postby Idealismania » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:19 pm

I notice I dismiss many issues simply because all of the action plans are all too extreme. For example this is the issue I got tonight:

The Issue
After a recent left-wing broadsheet exposé of agricultural practices, an outburst of public paranoia has stirred up the organic foods debate.

The Debate
1."I just can't stomach it any more," rants concerned parent Zeke Longbottom. "My children's future is being put at risk by irresponsible corporate practices. We must outlaw the use of pesticides and additives by farmers and food producers."

2."I've heard enough of this treehugging, lefty nonsense," argues corporate spokesman Anne-Marie Hamilton. "The agricultural industry needs to use the most advanced technology available, it's the only way to keep Idealismania competitive in food production. Besides, the studies we have commissioned prove that only a very small number of child deaths are due to our products, and surely that's an acceptable rate in the name of progress?"

3."Stop torturing Mother Earth!" yells outraged environmental extremist Tobias Jefferson. "Are we prepared to sacrifice our planet and our souls for the sake of a few extra pebbles? If we hope to live in harmony with the environment that nurtures and protects us, we must ban all industries that pollute our world. Let us return to the trees, my brothers!"

The Government Position
The government is preparing to dismiss this issue.

I just wish there were more moderate stances we could take. Like I would approve the use of agricultural technology if it was deemed to be safe by blind and unbiased testing. So my choice would be somewhere between one and two, but I wouldn't pick one or two (and definately not 3) because they are too extreme. I get a lot of issues like this with only extreme choices that I simply dismiss, but I would like to answer more issues to develop the "personality" of my nation more. Is there anything that can be done to add more moderate options to the issues?

Verlan
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Verlan » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:21 pm

1. Wrong forum. Go to Gameplay.

2. Read the FAQ. From any screen you can just move your eyeballs leftward and see that you can be there in one click.

3. Stop being a wuss. Pick a side, we're at war.

But, really. The point of the issues is for you to establish what is important in your nation. Environment or economy? conservative values or civil rights? The options are extreme for a reason.
Last edited by Verlan on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kruplyan
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kruplyan » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:22 pm

From the FAQ:
I don't agree with any of the options on this issue!

Dismiss it, then. This is the equivalent of ignoring an issue until people stop talking about it and there's not so much pressure to do something. If you were a real government, you'd do this all the time, of course, but in NationStates it's more interesting if you respond to issues by actually making decisions.

My decision had unintended consequences!

Yep, that'll happen. For one thing, see "Why is my nation so weird?" above. For another, pretty much every decision you make will involve a trade-off of some kind. It's kind of an exercise in choosing the best of a bunch of bad options. You might find this frustrating, especially if you're the kind of person who thinks the solutions to all the world's problems are obvious.
Last edited by Kruplyan on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Idealismania
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Idealismania » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:22 pm

lol thanks for the fast reply and for being so polite about it :kiss:

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:23 pm

The options are all supposed to be ridiculous.
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:23 pm

The fun thing is that whatever option you choose, you usually get screwed. Taxes go up, GNP goes down, violet taps your phone.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Milograd
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Milograd » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:03 pm

The fun of the game is seeing how you can manage to balance out all the crazy options and still make an effective government...besides forum at least.
Last edited by Milograd on Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Retired

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?