NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates Issues **SPOILER ALERT**

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Darmen
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 16, 2011
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Darmen » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:37 pm

Issue #970: For Want of a Nail
Issue by The Eye of Candlewhisper Archive
Edited by Candlewhisper Archive

A recent investigation into a near miss between two commercial airplanes revealed that it was due to an error on the part of an air traffic controller, who in turn was being distracted by his colleague chattering about how hungry he was, which in turn was caused by his colleague’s missing packed lunch, which in turn was caused by his colleague’s wife’s temporary incapacity, in turn caused by a finger infection, in turn caused by a broken nail. Thus, the media are dubbing this “The Broken Nail Incident.”

1. “Symptom: fragile keratin. Diagnosis: calcium deficiency,” confidently declares medically-untrained dairy industry marketing rep Wei Schmo. “You need to subsidise the dairies so we can increase supply of our products to the populace in order to treat this. Got milk? Yes, I have! You got money?”

3. “Wait? His WIFE made lunch for him?” complains avowed feminist Leroy Atwood as he grumbles through mouthfuls of broccoli and dried figs. “This is a sign of the sickness of patriarchy in our society! The men of this nation must be made to make their own damn lunches!”

4. “His wife should have ignored the pain, and made the sandwich,” admonishes Chip Gillard, as his own wife timidly picks mud from his boots with her fingernails. “A wife should have to attend to her duties unless a doctor - a male doctor, mind - certifies her medically unfit to work.”

5. “Call me Captain Obvious,” says airline pilot Captain Tom Obvious, “but doesn’t a near-miss air collision suggest we need to be spending more on air safety? We need more air traffic controllers working shorter shifts, and fewer night-time and bad weather flights. What? Someone has to be sensible here.” His co-pilot, Jane Sensible, nods in agreement.

6. “This is Emergence at work,” reverently whispers wild-eyed lepidopterometeorologist Professor Frank Benjamin. “For too long has national policy been set by simplistic cause and effect models, when the complexity of chaos and the beautiful madness of multiple interacting systems rule our lives! Fund my research into Chaos Socioeconomics, and together we’ll learn to properly randomise government policy!”

7. “The only thing emerging here is the Hand of the Divine,” counters dishevelled hermit monk Magnus Mitchell. “The world is indeed too complex for mere science to explain or predict. Dispense with air traffic control and fancy in-flight technology, and instead require all pilots and passengers to pray before takeoff and landing. Have faith in a higher power!”
The Republic of Darmen
President: Sebastian Elliott (NLP) | Capital: Scott City | Population: 10.6 mil | Demonym: Darmeni | Trigramme: DAR
Factbook (WIP) | Encylopedia | Domestic Sports Newswire
Champions: CoH 51, CR 13, GCF Test 9, GCF Test 13, WBC 25, QWC 7 Runners-up: CoH 53, CR 10, GCF Test 11, T20C 2, T20C 4, RLWC 10, WBC 42
Third: CR 20, T20C 10, RLWC 20, RLWC 22, R7WC 4, WBC 21, BC 6 Host: CR 9, RWC 18, RWC 26, RWC 35, RLWC 12, RLWC 18, RLWC 22, BC 6, BC 10, WVE 4

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:52 pm

1) This is one of the most mind-boggling all-over issues I think I've seen. What a convoluted premise. :lol:
2) I'm surprised there's no "ban airplanes" option.
3) But what caused the broken nail? ;)

Well, added now. Thank you, Darmen. :3
Ed: CWA, seriously though, this is one wacky issue. This is a very strange thing to become a national issue,
but it's definitely got a lot of wack in a good way that I think makes up for it. :)
Is this based on something, or is this all your creation? I'm interested to know which. :3

Er — if anyone could confirm/deny any fixed/random names?
Last edited by Jutsa on Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:20 pm

Jutsa wrote:3) But what caused the broken nail? ;)
Darmen wrote:1. "Symptom: fragile keratin. Diagnosis: calcium deficiency," confidently declares medically-untrained dairy industry marketing rep Wei Schmo. "You need to subsidise the dairies so we can increase supply of our products to the populace in order to treat this. Got milk? Yes, I have! You got money?"
I suspect option 2 is a variant for nations which have banned cheese.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:42 pm

#970 For Want of a Nail

The Issue

A recent investigation into a near miss between two commercial airplanes revealed that it was due to an error on the part of an air traffic controller, who in turn was being distracted by his colleague chattering about how hungry he was, which in turn was caused by his colleague's missing packed lunch, which in turn was caused by his colleague's wife's temporary incapacity, in turn caused by a finger infection, in turn caused by a broken nail. Thus, the media are dubbing this "The Broken Nail Incident."

The Debate

1. "Symptom: fragile keratin. Diagnosis: calcium deficiency," confidently declares medically-untrained dairy industry marketing rep Sayid Keating. "You need to subsidise the dairies so we can increase supply of our products to the populace in order to treat this. Got milk? Yes, I have! You got money?"

3. "Wait? His WIFE made lunch for him?" complains avowed feminist Justin Reyes as he grumbles through mouthfuls of broccoli and dried figs. "This is a sign of the sickness of patriarchy in our society! The men of this nation must be made to make their own damn lunches!"

4. "His wife should have ignored the pain, and made the sandwich," admonishes Billy-Bob Yates, as his own wife timidly picks mud from his boots with her fingernails. "A wife should have to attend to her duties unless a doctor - a male doctor, mind - certifies her medically unfit to work."

5. "Call me Captain Obvious," says airline pilot Captain Tom Obvious, "but doesn't a near-miss air collision suggest we need to be spending more on air safety? We need more air traffic controllers working shorter shifts, and fewer night-time and bad weather flights. What? Someone has to be sensible here." His co-pilot, Jane Sensible, nods in agreement.

6. "This is Emergence at work," reverently whispers wild-eyed lepidopterometeorologist Professor Frank Benjamin. "For too long has national policy been set by simplistic cause and effect models, when the complexity of chaos and the beautiful madness of multiple interacting systems rule our lives! Fund my research into Chaos Socioeconomics, and together we'll learn to properly randomise government policy!"

7. "The only thing emerging here is the Hand of the Divine," counters dishevelled hermit monk Jiang English. "The world is indeed too complex for mere science to explain or predict. Dispense with air traffic control and fancy in-flight technology, and instead require all pilots and passengers to pray before takeoff and landing. Have faith in a higher power!"

Issue by Candlewhisper Archive
Interesting that I got a male feminist. Actually, so did Darmen.

Also watch the Italics of Pretentiousness.

Okay, comparing the two these should be the macros:
#970 For Want of a Nail

The Issue

A recent investigation into a near miss between two commercial airplanes revealed that it was due to an error on the part of an air traffic controller, who in turn was being distracted by his colleague chattering about how hungry he was, which in turn was caused by his colleague's missing packed lunch, which in turn was caused by his colleague's wife's temporary incapacity, in turn caused by a finger infection, in turn caused by a broken nail. Thus, the media are dubbing this "The Broken Nail Incident."

The Debate

1. "Symptom: fragile keratin. Diagnosis: calcium deficiency," confidently declares medically-untrained dairy industry marketing rep @@RANDOMNAME@@. "You need to subsidise the dairies so we can increase supply of our products to the populace in order to treat this. Got milk? Yes, I have! You got money?"

3. "Wait? His WIFE made lunch for him?" complains avowed feminist @@RANDOMNAME@@ as @@HE/SHE@@ grumbles through mouthfuls of broccoli and dried figs. "This is a sign of the sickness of patriarchy in our society! The men of this nation must be made to make their own damn lunches!"

4. "His wife should have ignored the pain, and made the sandwich," admonishes @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, as his own wife timidly picks mud from his boots with her fingernails. "A wife should have to attend to her duties unless a doctor - a male doctor, mind - certifies her medically unfit to work."

5. "Call me Captain Obvious," says airline pilot Captain Tom Obvious, "but doesn't a near-miss air collision suggest we need to be spending more on air safety? We need more air traffic controllers working shorter shifts, and fewer night-time and bad weather flights. What? Someone has to be sensible here." His co-pilot, Jane Sensible, nods in agreement.

6. "This is Emergence at work," reverently whispers wild-eyed lepidopterometeorologist Professor Frank Benjamin. "For too long has national policy been set by simplistic cause and effect models, when the complexity of chaos and the beautiful madness of multiple interacting systems rule our lives! Fund my research into Chaos Socioeconomics, and together we'll learn to properly randomise government policy!"

7. "The only thing emerging here is the Hand of the Divine," counters dishevelled hermit monk @@RANDOMNAME@@. "The world is indeed too complex for mere science to explain or predict. Dispense with air traffic control and fancy in-flight technology, and instead require all pilots and passengers to pray before takeoff and landing. Have faith in a higher power!"

Issue by Candlewhisper Archive
Maybe male-only for the last option ("monk" is traditionally a male profession), but it's hard to say. I'm assuming the feminist is allowed to be female :)

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:55 pm

Italics are the bane of a reporter's existence! That's something I really should add to the OP. :P

Thanks, Trotterdam. :3
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:59 pm

Looks like we need 970.2 and 971.2. Huh.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:34 am

Both 972 and 973 are in circulation and are my own drafts implemented.

I've heard that there is a taboo nowadays on self-reports though so am not going to do so, but just giving a heads-up for you Jutsa.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:06 am

Jutsa wrote:Is this based on something, or is this all your creation? I'm interested to know which. :3

Based on this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Want_of_a_Nail
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:09 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Jutsa wrote:Is this based on something, or is this all your creation? I'm interested to know which. :3
Based on this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Want_of_a_Nail
Having fun with homonyms, I see :)
Last edited by Trotterdam on Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:57 am

I see "A stitch in time saves nine" is also a proverb, which explains #821... :lol:

Thanks for the heads up, Chan! I'm somehow not surprised, given how good and speedy an author you are. :)

Drasnia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drasnia » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:07 pm

Just received #971. Here's my copy to compare names with. I got the same options as Trotterdam did (missing option 2).

#971. Ambassadors Inextraordinary [Laeral; ed:Zwangzug]

The Issue
It was recently discovered that your predecessor had filled numerous ambassadorial positions with unqualified candidates and supporters. These include the ambassador to Wezeltonia, your predecessor’s personal masseuse, and the ambassador to Brancaland, a known crime lord. It’s clear to many that Drasnia could use a change in the ranks of its diplomats.

The Debate
1. “This is a splendid opportunity to put in our own, far superior, ambassador picks!” enthuses your Political Adviser, Ming Nagasawa. “It’s obvious that we can’t let those incompetents keep their positions any longer, so we sack them all and replace them with our own people. I’ve prepared a list for you to look at - we’ve got talented people like that first government official to endorse you, the Retail tycoon who donated millions to your campaign, and my younger brother. It’ll be wonderful!”

3. “We need to abolish the entire system of ambassadors as political appointees,” says Stephanie Thawne, who has worked in the Foreign Ministry for the past three decades. “Over my sixteen tours of duty in the Foreign Service, I’ve been posted to hellholes like Brasilistan, Marche Noire, and Maxtopia. And then I see some champagne-sipping flunky waltz on in to become the ambassador, despite having never worked a day in their life. Every ambassador should have as much diplomatic experience as I do before being considered for the job.”

4. “I spy an opportunity...” says your seldom-seen Minister of Whispers, who has somehow appeared beside you. “What our nation needs is for our ambassadors to be trained and equipped for - specialized operations - in foreign nations. Imagine our most elite black-ops agents, striking under cover of darkness to promote our nation’s goals. Think about it. I know you’ll make the right choice.”

5. Bella Chau, the sole survivor of the infamous embassy bombing in Marche Noire, limps into your office with a cane. “You bet I’m not qualified for these ordeals,” she yells. “The things I’ve seen, the horrible things I’ve had to do, the countless nights I’ve spent awake working on that free-trade agreement have left me a broken woman! End this misery, King Rhodar; shutter our embassies abroad and bring us all home.”
See You Space Cowboy...

Blargoblarg
Minister

Founded: Sep 06, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blargoblarg » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:09 pm

#973 Guided Missiles and Misguided Men

The Issue

After years of searching for the most wanted man in Blargoblarg, you are finally sitting in the war room, eyes glued to the images on the live video feed. It’s confirmed: the drone can see the infamous terrorist William Shiomi... playing with his children. It seems like it will be impossible to take the shot without also killing the small children.

The Debate

1.“Wait! We can’t hurt those little ones,” wails your aide, Bharatendu Beachcroft, while clutching his face in horror. “I know that he’s a monster who has killed and will kill again, but are we really going to stoop down to his level? Those kids are innocent of any of the atrocities their father has committed. We must hold our fire and try to find another way that doesn’t have such a high risk of collateral damage.”

2.From the corner of the monitor, you can see a terrorist soldier spot the drone and begin to assemble a surface-to-air-missile launch platform. The operator turns around in his chair with a look of urgency. “Boss, we’re just about to lose the drone. It’s now or never! Authorise me to take the shot. If we let him go, it might take years for us to find him again - and who knows how many more children he might kill in the meantime? The inevitable loss of the little ones will be regrettable, but we need to take him out now!”

Issue by The Republic of Chan Island

Edited by Pogaria
Claudia De la Cruz 2024 Article about her here
Democrats and Republicans are both right-wing capitalists owned by the rich and the big corporations. Major media in the US is also owned by the rich and big corporations.
Major study finds that America is an oligarchy, not a democracy
"Workers of the world, unite!" -Marx and Engels
You can read The State and Revolution by Lenin for free here
My 8values results My leftvalues results
I am autistic.

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:11 pm

I remember seeing this one being drafted. Good Issue, Chan. What a tough decision to make. :unsure:
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:28 pm

holy...

now that, that is one good ed: no, excellent issue.

Congratulations, Chan — especially for getting an unfunny 2-option issue in the game and pulling it off with flying colours.

Added. :clap:

Kinda surprised you aren't submitting these on Annihilators of Chan Island. Interesting. :P

Er... if anyone can confirm/deny name randomness. Thank you, Blargoblarg. :3
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:51 pm

Jutsa wrote:holy...

now that, that is one good ed: no, excellent issue.

Congratulations, Chan — especially for getting an unfunny 2-option issue in the game and pulling it off with flying colours.

Added. :clap:

Kinda surprised you aren't submitting these on Annihilators of Chan Island. Interesting. :P

Er... if anyone can confirm/deny name randomness. Thank you, Blargoblarg. :3

All random names.

Also, I don't use that account much nowadays anyway. Not the best name in the world, bit 'tainted' and it's in the Rejected Realms of all places. So using this account for the submissions was just a logical next step.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Feria-Alkaline
Attaché

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Feria-Alkaline » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:53 pm

1. “Wait! We can’t hurt those little ones,” wails your aide, @@RANDOMNAME@@, while clutching his face in horror.

@@RANDOMNAME@@... and then his? Not @@HIS@@?
Sincerely, me.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:40 pm

Ah... nice catch. :blush:

Palos Heights
Envoy

Founded: Apr 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Palos Heights » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:26 am

Reporting 971 and 974.
Silence means approval, so speak up for what matters or your voice will go unheard.

He Qixin
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby He Qixin » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:50 am

Issue #974 has already been determined:

Title: Siren Song [Candensia; ed:Nation of Quebec]

Description: During a severe weather outbreak yesterday, weather sirens raised the alarm about the incoming danger. However, that didn’t seem to concern residents, who had grown all too used to constant tests and malfunctions associated with the aging system. Following dozens of fatalities, a discussion has arisen regarding the best method to warn the public about approaching weather threats.

Option 1: “I’m tired of weathering weather sirens!” shouts storm survivor Marjorie Elgar, still wearing her soggy raincoat. “I’m in my house, glued to my phone, when I thought I heard a train. Turns out, it was no train; it was a twister coming straight at me! Sure, I heard the sirens, but they go off all the time! Instead of listening out for old sirens, we should get official weather alerts through our phones. I mean, people definitely won’t ignore their cell phones!”

Option 2: “Well, not everyone has a cell phone, and what if its battery dies in the middle of a storm, what then?” questions @@NAME@@ Emergency Management spokesperson Silvio MacDonald. “The biggest advantage to sirens is that we can assure that they will always work... as long as they aren’t old, malfunctioning, or whatever. It should be clear that a refit of the siren system is on the radar. All we need to do is update them to be more... attention-grabbing. I’m sure citizens won’t ignore weather sirens if we replace the wail with, say, a blood-curdling scream!”"

Option 3: “Why is it the government’s responsibility to warn us of incoming life or death situations?” rants well-known libertarian political speaker Archibald Sims, failing to intervene as his infant picks up a nearby nail gun. “It’s the responsibility of the individual to ensure their own safety. We shouldn’t be wasting @@CURRENCY@@ maintaining a faulty, hardly-used system. I say we let the old siren system die, save ourselves some money, and call it a day. If the average @@DEMONYMNOUN@@ doesn’t have enough common sense to take caution when the weather gets bad, then I forecast that @@NAME@@ has a far bigger problem.”

Since the issue was taken straight from NSindex, I'm not sure whether the names are actually determined by the @@RANDOMNAME@@ macro rather than being arbitrary.
Last edited by He Qixin on Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:25 am, edited 7 times in total.
jacknjellify wrote:Watch Battle For Dream Island or be eliminated.

According to this index, this civilization is:
Tier: 8
Level: 5
Type: 6
A 9 civilization because I lean more towards it.

This nation is always used to post in the forums unless the forum is the WA, for which I use Triangle and Square, a WA member, to post.

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:57 am

He Qixin wrote:Issue #974 has already been determined:

Title: Siren Song [Candesia; ed:Nation of Quebec]

Description: During a severe weather outbreak yesterday, weather sirens raised the alarm about the incoming danger. However, that didn’t seem to concern residents, who had grown all too used to constant tests and malfunctions associated with the aging system. Following dozens of fatalities, a discussion has arisen regarding the best method to warn the public about approaching weather threats.

Option 1: “I’m tired of weathering weather sirens!” shouts storm survivor Marjorie Elgar, still wearing her soggy raincoat. “I’m in my house, glued to my phone, when I thought I heard a train. Turns out, it was no train; it was a twister coming straight at me! Sure, I heard the sirens, but they go off all the time! Instead of listening out for old sirens, we should get official weather alerts through our phones. I mean, people definitely won’t ignore their cell phones!”

Option 2: “Well, not everyone has a cell phone, and what if its battery dies in the middle of a storm, what then?” questions @@NAME@@ Emergency Management spokesperson Silvio MacDonald. “The biggest advantage to sirens is that we can assure that they will always work... as long as they aren’t old, malfunctioning, or whatever. It should be clear that a refit of the siren system is on the radar. All we need to do is update them to be more... attention-grabbing. I’m sure citizens won’t ignore weather sirens if we replace the wail with, say, a blood-curdling scream!”"

Option 3: “Why is it the government’s responsibility to warn us of incoming life or death situations?” rants well-known libertarian political speaker Archibald Sims, failing to intervene as his infant picks up a nearby nail gun. “It’s the responsibility of the individual to ensure their own safety. We shouldn’t be wasting @@CURRENCY@@ maintaining a faulty, hardly-used system. I say we let the old siren system die, save ourselves some money, and call it a day. If the average @@DEMONYMNOUN@@ doesn’t have enough common sense to take caution when the weather gets bad, then I forecast that @@NAME@@ has a far bigger problem.”

Since the issue was taken straight from NSindex, I'm not sure whether the names are actually determined by the @@RANDOMNAME@@ macro rather than being arbitrary.

Hehe. Thank you Nation of Quebec for editing this! Much obliged. :D

EDIT: the reporter on NSIndex went lax on the macros, I shall correct them momentarilly.

EDIT2: He Qixin, you mised an “n” in Cande(n)sia :p

In option 3, @@CURRENCY@@ should be @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@, it is correct in the issue.

I wrote all names to be totally random, but option 1 might be fixed female, and option 3 might be fixed male. Life is tough for you, isnt it Jutsa? :blush:
Last edited by Candensia on Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:36 am

Candensia wrote:
He Qixin wrote:Issue #974 has already been determined:

Title: Siren Song [Candesia; ed:Nation of Quebec]

Hehe. Thank you Nation of Quebec for editing this! Much obliged. :D

EDIT: the reporter on NSIndex went lax on the macros, I shall correct them momentarilly.

In option 3, @@CURRENCY@@ should be @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@, it is correct in the issue.

I wrote all names to be totally random, but option 1 might be fixed female, and option 3 might be fixed male. Life is tough for you, isnt it Jutsa? :blush:

We are currently reworking the manual of style for our issues articles: https://nsindex.net/wiki/NSindex:Manual_of_Style/Issues. It will include advice to cross-check with this thread … and yes, registration is open again.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:47 am

#971 with macros:
#971 Ambassadors Inextraordinary

The Issue

It was recently discovered that your predecessor had filled numerous ambassadorial positions with unqualified candidates and supporters. These include the ambassador to Wezeltonia, your predecessor's personal masseuse, and the ambassador to Brancaland, a known crime lord. It's clear to many that @@NAME@@ could use a change in the ranks of its diplomats.

The Debate

1. "This is a splendid opportunity to put in our own, far superior, ambassador picks!" enthuses your Political Adviser, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "It's obvious that we can't let those incompetents keep their positions any longer, so we sack them all and replace them with our own people. I've prepared a list for you to look at - we've got talented people like that first government official to endorse you, the @@MAJORINDUSTRY@@ tycoon who donated millions to your campaign, and my younger brother. It'll be wonderful!"

3. "We need to abolish the entire system of ambassadors as political appointees," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, who has worked in the Foreign Ministry for the past three decades. "Over my sixteen tours of duty in the Foreign Service, I've been posted to hellholes like Brasilistan, Marche Noire, and Maxtopia. And then I see some champagne-sipping flunky waltz on in to become the ambassador, despite having never worked a day in their life. Every ambassador should have as much diplomatic experience as I do before being considered for the job."

4. "I spy an opportunity..." says your seldom-seen Minister of Whispers, who has somehow appeared beside you. "What our nation needs is for our ambassadors to be trained and equipped for - specialized operations - in foreign nations. Imagine our most elite black-ops agents, striking under cover of darkness to promote our nation's goals. Think about it. I know you'll make the right choice."

5. @@RANDOMNAME@@, the sole survivor of the infamous embassy bombing in Marche Noire, limps into your office with a cane. "You bet I'm not qualified for these ordeals," @@HE/SHE@@ yells. "The things I've seen, the horrible things I've had to do, the countless nights I've spent awake working on that free-trade agreement have left me a broken @@MAN/WOMAN@@! End this misery,@@LEADER@@; shutter our embassies abroad and bring us all home."

Issue by Laeral
Edited by Zwangzug

#974 with macros (probably):
#974 Siren Song

The Issue

During a severe weather outbreak yesterday, weather sirens raised the alarm about the incoming danger. However, that didn't seem to concern residents, who had grown all too used to constant tests and malfunctions associated with the aging system. Following dozens of fatalities, a discussion has arisen regarding the best method to warn the public about approaching weather threats.

The Debate

1. "I'm tired of weathering weather sirens!" shouts storm survivor @@RANDOMNAME@@, still wearing @@HIS/HER@@ soggy raincoat. "I'm in my house, glued to my phone, when I thought I heard a train. Turns out, it was no train; it was a twister coming straight at me! Sure, I heard the sirens, but they go off all the time! Instead of listening out for old sirens, we should get official weather alerts through our phones. I mean, people definitely won't ignore their cell phones!"

2. "Well, not everyone has a cell phone, and what if its battery dies in the middle of a storm, what then?" questions Trotterdam Emergency Management spokesperson @@RANDOMNAME@@. "The biggest advantage to sirens is that we can assure that they will always work... as long as they aren't old, malfunctioning, or whatever. It should be clear that a refit of the siren system is on the radar. All we need to do is update them to be more... attention-grabbing. I'm sure citizens won't ignore weather sirens if we replace the wail with, say, a blood-curdling scream!"

3. "Why is it the government's responsibility to warn us of incoming life or death situations?" rants well-known libertarian political speaker @@RANDOMNAME@@, failing to intervene as @@HIS/HER@@ infant picks up a nearby nail gun. "It's the responsibility of the individual to ensure their own safety. We shouldn't be wasting @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ maintaining a faulty, hardly-used system. I say we let the old siren system die, save ourselves some money, and call it a day. If the average @@DEMONYMNOUN@@ doesn't have enough common sense to take caution when the weather gets bad, then I forecast that @@NAME@@ has a far bigger problem."

Issue by Candensia
Edited by Nation of Quebec

Candensia wrote:I wrote all names to be totally random, but option 1 might be fixed female, and option 3 might be fixed male. Life is tough for you, isnt it Jutsa? :blush:
I also got a girl for 1 and a boy for 3, so I can't help you there.

I did confirm #971's genders are random, though.

Candensia
Diplomat

Postby Candensia » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:52 am

you missed a macro in option 2 Trotterdam. :p

“Trotterdam Emergency Management spokesperson”

To

“@@NAME@@ Emergency Management spokesperson”
Last edited by Candensia on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:56 am

Aww dammit. And I forgot to check if it's @@NAME@@ or @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@. (The latter is more appropiate.)

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:57 am

Hey, Minoa, I cross-check with you and work on this; would it be possible for me to make pages on NSIndex for new issues?
Maybe even go through old ones and update them with stuff I've found on here? :P

(With Trotterdam's issue data gathering thing, we could also add the effect lines of said options... ;))

@The Issue: Added! Congratulations on yet another issue, Candensia; you're quite the writer, aren't ya? ;)

Thank you, He Qixin, for reporting it from NSIndex. I suspect #972 will be a while, though; pretty sure it chains from another issue,
and those tend to be some of the hardest since the issues they chain from are actually less likely than the other new ones.
And, yes, Candensia; it is. ;)
(Seriously it's not but names and variant options are the bane of my issue listing abilities)

@Trotterdam: Actually got both added now, and in fact I still need option 2 of #971. :(

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?