NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates Issues **SPOILER ALERT**

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:49 pm

Fauxia wrote:215.1 has a mistake: "It'll show them that our nation has nowt to do with money grabbing capitalists."

Nowt?

Idk if that is in the actual issue or just in here, which is why I put it here.

Always worth a Google:

nowt
nout/Submit
pronoun & adverbNORTHERN ENGLISH
nothing.
"it's nowt to do with me"

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:40 pm

I got 821. The first person to speak is fixed as Dr. Van Winkle. What Jutsa got too.

Also, I have @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@, not @@DEMONYMADJECTIVEPLURAL@@ in option 3, Jutsa
Last edited by Fauxia on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:08 pm

Does @@HE@@ work without a randomname? Whether yes or no, is Dr. Van Winkle a definite he? :?
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:09 pm

Jutsa wrote:Does @@HE@@ work without a randomname? Whether yes or no, is Dr. Van Winkle a definite he? :?

Yes it does.

Koem Kab
Envoy

Founded: Dec 09, 2016
Father Knows Best State

Postby Koem Kab » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:06 pm

Issue #823
Where The Sun Don’t Shine

The Issue

When your Minister for Health fell asleep for the third time in your Cabinet meeting, you confronted her. She told you her doctor had diagnosed her with vitamin D deficiency. In fact, her department estimates this condition may be affecting almost half of all Bollesiatanians.

The Debate

1.“It’s because Bollesiatan is such a gloomy place,” she yawns, yanking apart the curtains of the conference room to let a feeble ray of sun shine in. “Look, I know we can’t change the weather, but perhaps we can help people get more sunlight by promoting an outdoor culture. Why should we be cooped up in enclosed spaces like offices and schools? Give a tax break for businesses that have their workers under an open sky!”

2.“If you go out in Bollesiatan, you’re likely to die of exposure,” snarls Beth Vercingetorix, the owner of a local tanning salon, handing you a brochure with pictures of perfectly tanned top models. “If you subsidised sunbed services, people could enjoy the benefits of wholesome Sunny Day Natural Health Rays (tm), even when it is raining outside.”

3.“All this natural sunlight seems to be a bit complicated,” says synthetic chemistry enthusiast Francisco Coulson, happily munching on his morning toast enhanced with a colloid of crunch-enhancing plastic beads. “I mean, everyone loves chemistry. Require fortification of bread products, breakfast cereals and other foods with pre-isomerised 7-dehydrocholesterol, and then everyone will have healthy bones and teeth.” He stops talking to spit out a broken tooth.

4.“Nothing new under the sun, huh?” butts in Leia Kidman, your elderly neighbour, slipping out of her bathrobe to proudly expose sagging skinfolds and liver-spotted buttocks. “There’s plenty of sunlight outside if you ask me. The problem is that light can’t get through the fabric barriers that we mummify ourselves with! Enforce compulsory nudity, and let bodies luxuriate in the sun! For health!” She leers hopefully at an attractive young intern, miming the removal of clothing.

Issue by The Democratic Island Federation of Frieden-und Freudenland

Edited by Candlewhisper Archive

Arceus Domains
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Arceus Domains » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:33 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:That's weird, the change log doesn't show that ever having been changed - always been an advocate. I don't know if the software for logging past edits was added after a change was made, of course, but it's definitely been that way since when I started here.

Indeed it is. I suggest a little revision, although I agree with Jutsa not to edit until we are sure on how this Issue behaves (or why I got this strange case).

Jutsa wrote:#180: Updated, but is this option 2, or option 3? I'm going to assume it's 3, but I'll change it if they're swapped around.

Sorry, I had to post the option numbers here. It is the third option. :)

Jutsa wrote:#335: NS index confirmed that the ceo option came technically before the other one. :P

My apologies, once again. You're right, my reported text was at 'choice-4' (option 5).

Jutsa wrote:#488: Or they're really, really new: NS Index only has 3 options listed, as well. :?

I hope to get this Issue again, to see what happens and to report it.

Jutsa wrote:#682: At least one of us is a little bit confuzzled by this. :lol:
At any rate, lots of changed to add, and they were all added. :)

Luckily, I always save the corresponding portions of code for these purposes (I apologize on creating confusion by not reporting options with their numbers). I confirm that the order you took is correct! :p

As for Ed May being fixed, I will report back as soon as I can see this Issue again.

Jutsa wrote:#786: Updated to the fullest extent of my current knowledge.

Fair enough. I agree with you, such a headache! :D

Jutsa wrote:Thank you, AD! Now... the question that remains is this: Do I have to update this list every time I find a misplaced comma, apostrophe, or macro..?

I would do it, in my spare time (whenever I get several confirmed reviews, of course). I'm not sure what you would do, but what you've done so far has been extraordinary. I will continue collecting information and peering through these corners... :rofl:

Fauxia wrote:Arceus said nothing about 817...

Sorry, Faux! I haven't seen that one :(

Finally, looking at the suggestions, I will make sure to report these things calmly next time. This includes giving more details about choice-order. Cheers! :lol:

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:12 am

A puppet of mine just got this version.
#075 Cutting Off Sex Offenders?

The Issue

After the capture and trial of notorious rapist Henry Taiden, who was convicted of the rape of over 50 women in the past two years a debate has emerged on how he should be punished.

The Debate

1. "That psychopath should be castrated," says rape victim advocate @@RANDOMNAME@@, "That's the only punishment that can ensure the agony he put those women through will never be repeated. Additionally, it will provide some small measure of justice to the victims, and ensure that the other monsters out there think twice before attacking women! Why protect the offenders? They gave up their rights when they decided to destroy the lives of others!"

3. "I understand that this is a terrible time for the poor victims in this case," says defense attorney @@RANDOMNAME@@, "However, the answer is not to revert back to the Dark Ages. Instead, we must focus on rehabilitation of all criminals in our justice system."

5. "Everyone knows re-education is a waste of money, we shouldn't go soft on these crooks!" says Director of Farming Collectives @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Simply place all rapists and criminals in @@NAME@@ into forced labor under the management of our directorate to serve out their sentences. When we're through with them, they won't even think of jaywalking, much less harming another person. We get free labor, and these crooks get put straight. Everybody benefits... well, except the crooks."

Issue by Istar
Edited by Reploid Productions
Option 3 is for nations without prisons. Option 5 is for nations without capitalism.

I got a female character for option 1 and a male one for option 3, but that's probably a coincidence.

Contrast the current spoiler-list version:
1. "That psychopath should be castrated!" cries rape victim @@RANDOMNAME@@, "The agony he put me through must be punished with a means that will ensure that no human being will ever go through what I did! If castration is used more often in these cases you will see rape drop to nothing!"

2. "I understand that this is a terrible time for the poor victims in this case," says defense attorney @@RANDOMNAME@@, "However, the answer is not to revert back to the dark ages. Instead, we should focus on rehabilitation of all criminals in our prison system."

3. "Everyone knows re-education is a waste of money, we shouldn't go soft on these crooks!" says CEO @@RANDOMNAME@@ of the People Trading Corporation. "Simply place all rapists and criminals in @@NAME@@ into forced labor under the management of our company to serve out their sentences. When we're through with them, they won't even think of jaywalking, much less harming another person. We get cheap labor, and these crooks get put straight. Everybody benefits... well, except the crooks."
It is likely that the current option 2 (for nations with prisons) resembles the old one. However, note that aside from the replacement of "prison" with "justice", there are a couple of other changes: the capitalization of "Dark Ages" and the replacement of "must" with "should", which were likely applied to both versions of the option (but I can't know for sure without seeing them). Similarly, the current option 4 probably resembles the old option 3, but it could use a double-check for minor wording changes, like "free" versus "cheap".

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:That's weird, the change log doesn't show that ever having been changed - always been an advocate.
May I ask why?

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:16 am

Arceus Domains wrote:Sorry, Faux! I haven't seen that one
Naeh, he was referring to the fact that I put the wrong number in my reply. :lol2:

Finally, looking at the suggestions, I will make sure to report these things calmly next time. This includes giving more details about choice-order. Cheers!
Many thanks! I thank you for your time and help, as well. :)

Trotterdam wrote:A puppet of mine just got this version.
Huh. Interesting! I'll work on that after the other half has been found. :P

Koem Kab wrote: *snip*
Many thanks! Added. :D
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:29 am

Trotterdam wrote:May I ask why?

Sure, but I don't know the answer. It's before my time.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:08 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Sure, but I don't know the answer. It's before my time.
Err, what? What were you an advocate of, then?

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:14 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Sure, but I don't know the answer. It's before my time.
Err, what? What were you an advocate of, then?

The phrase in the issue is "an advocate".
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:17 am

Sanctaria wrote:The phrase in the issue is "an advocate".
Oh. Right.

Turns out pronoun-dropping isn't always harmless. :)

Xynlandia
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 26, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Xynlandia » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:33 pm

Don't think this has been reported yet.
Issue 36 option 3 (old option 3 is now option 4)
3. “Talk about a way to flush Xyniums straight down the toilet,” argues Think Tank member Hercules Vajiralongkorn. “What I’ve noticed is that whenever we do give something, it’s never enough: a few years later they’re back asking for more. The best way to help these poor nations is to stop shielding them from the logical consequences of their idiotic, unstable capitalist boom-bust economic cycles.”
Puppet of Pencil Sharpeners 2. Law enforcement and defense forces.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:48 pm

Ah! One of the better reasons to add a distinction between capitalist and state-run economies - insults! :lol2:

Updated~ Edit: Fixed a macro and some spacing.
Last edited by Jutsa on Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:41 am

Updates:
> Added some boggly information about new macro targetting
> Updated issue 635 via:
- Adding author and editor names
- Adding option 2, which I found on NS index on accident when looking for the author and editor names

I wonder what else there is in this list that needs an update or two. :eyebrow:

Edit: Also updated 781. Not sure why @@DEMONYMNOUN@@ was in there instead of @@NAME@@, but either way,
I'm near certain that the otherwise identical options were different specifically because of the old brackets in bold which noted
the very change that I'm near certain separates these two options, so I edited it based off of my intuition.
Note: If anyone can confirm/deny this or prove that the order's actually reversed or correct, please let me know.

Also, if anyone can confirm the validities for the final options in #532 and #786 ;)
Last edited by Jutsa on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:27 pm

Jutsa wrote:Also, if anyone can confirm the validities for the final options in #786 ;)
It probably doesn't have one. It's option 3 that has a validity.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:52 pm

Arceus Domain wrote:#786: I mentioned that options 3 and 4 should swap their order in the official post. On two occasions I noticed that the source code listed my options as 0, 1 and 2, and that the police officer option was not present (so this is the fourth, not the third). On the other hand, the validity of the religious speaker's option (the fourth) doesn't contemplate having an official religion: none of my two test nations fulfill this condition, and one of them is even highly secular. Thus, the option with special requirements would be the police officer's one (which I haven't seen at all).

It probably doesn't have one. It's option 3 that has a validity.

aaaaaaaaaaa

Why is this issue so discombobulating?

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:37 pm

Jutsa wrote:aaaaaaaaaaa

Why is this issue so discombobulating?
I'm pretty sure it was reported the right way around.

But Drasnia messed it up in copying, and Arceus Domains chose a really confusing way to phrase the correction.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:24 pm

The original post says that the police option is option 4, though, yes? And he also said that the religious one is fine, but that it's the police one that has a strange validity? :?

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:26 am

I just got Issue 46: Jennifer Government Censorship Row, and I actually don't remember ever having gotten this issue...

Did it replace "Harry Potter Censorship Row?"

And if so, what was the motivation for doing so? Is it just for an in-game reference or has there been another problem?
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:39 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:I just got Issue 46: Jennifer Government Censorship Row, and I actually don't remember ever having gotten this issue...

And if so, what was the motivation for doing so? Is it just for an in-game reference or has there been another problem?

I can confirm that #3 Harry Potter Censorship Row is still in circulation. #46 Jennifer Government Censorship Row is a separate issue.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:50 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:I just got Issue 46: Jennifer Government Censorship Row, and I actually don't remember ever having gotten this issue...

I can confirm that #3 Harry Potter Censorship Row is still in circulation. #46 Jennifer Government Censorship Row is a separate issue.

Interesting. Is it possible that I never got this issue for the last two years? (Or maybe for the last 1 year or so, because I do not recall answering this issue before.) Also, is it possible that the issue itself existed but had a different title?
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:38 am

I received that one recently, too, but do remember getting it before... but only quite a while ago: So, maybeso, the 'validity' was relaxed recently? It's around the point in the list that CWA mentioned having reached with their modifications...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Iguanarctica
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 22, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Iguanarctica » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:34 pm

Issue 824: Period Drama
The Issue

Tonight’s big family dinner seemed like such a nice idea. Alas, it’s all descended into awkward silences and short tempers again. This is mostly thanks to your sister’s complaints about the high price of feminine sanitary products, which she largely attributes to the so-called “tampon tax”: a sales tariff on these items.

The Debate

1. “It’s a bloody outrage! The patriarchy seems to believe that tampons and pads aren’t essentials,” rails your sister Rosalia, waving a grocery receipt under your nose. “You have to stop taxing feminine products! If the income stream is so important to you, stick it on income tax instead! Women everywhere are demanding change. Can’t you go with the flow?”

2. “Don’t make a scene, dear,” soothes your mother, patting her on the shoulder. “If the prices are bleeding you dry or cramping your style, I’m sure your dear sibling will have the state buy them for you, and for all Iguanarctica’s ladies. That’s what government is for, isn’t it darling?”

3. “Ugh, I can’t believe that your sister would even talk about such things at the dinner table,” moans Uncle Harambe, handing out copies of his self-published pamphlet, Women: For Pity’s Sake, Don’t Talk. “It completely put me off my borscht. If it were up to me, I’d make it a crime to publicly discuss women’s monthly troubles. Some things are best kept private, period!”

4. “Let’s try and be balanced here,” whispers your Treasury Minister Akira Smit, wishing he’d never accepted the invitation to your family home. “Sales tax is vital to help keep the burden of income tax down, but it’s a good thing to be equitable. Why not add sales tax to men’s daily goods like razors and shaving cream? That way, everybody pays their fair share.”

Issue by The Incongruous Improbability of Candlewhisper Archive

Edited by The Free Joy State
Puppet of Pencil Sharpeners 2. Science and cheese

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:21 pm

Alrighty, I believe I added it correctly. :P
Thank you! :D

Also, a couple of notes:
1) fixed some spacing after ed: in the list(though it's ed:in the info sections)
2) Started having to post in the third post. (Thank you, Luna!)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?