NATION

PASSWORD

Shouldn't This Be...?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Gauntleted Fist
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Shouldn't This Be...?

Postby Gauntleted Fist » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:54 pm

The Issue

Citizens all over Gauntleted Fist have been petitioning for firmer action on public graffiti.

"I don't see what's so bad," comments Jack Hamilton, a famous art critic. "This is urban art at its finest. It's vibrant, colourful, and simply reeks of culture! Just look at the form displayed in this string of racist expletives! Wonderful. Simply wonderful. I think we should really be encouraging these budding Rembrandts, not putting them down! I say we legalise it, in the name of culture!"

Shouldn't that be "string of racial expletives"?

Eunomy
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Shouldn't This Be...?

Postby Eunomy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:07 pm

Racist can be an adjective, the English language is constantly evolving. Furthermore, don't be a grammar nazi it is a sad sad life. We have to learn to accept that "D'oh" and "web 2.0" and "Friendiligence" are part of our langauge now...sadly. *sigh*

It took a long time for me to resign myself to the death of language, but my *idiot* friends have entire conversations using only the word "Hey." I don't expect the populace at large is too far behind.

My sympathies go out to you. Here's the Kubler-Ross Grief Cycle: <http://changingminds.org/disciplines/change_management/kubler_ross/kubler_ross.htm> good luck coming to terms with the slow and terrible death of language, my heart goes out to you.

Rejistania
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Rejistania » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:47 am

Language is not dieing. The concerns about the death of language are as old as written language itself. Also, from my limited point of view as a non-native speaker, there is a difference in connotation between 'racial' and 'racist'. So what you want is make language less expressive.

I have heard the phrase that language which is unchanging is dead. I think it makes very much sense and you need to consider this. But seeing how you hate language changes, I should have written this posting in Old English.
Rejis sjiki, linux sjiki, alari sjiki, korona sjiki!
Forever united, forever free, forever in justice, forever prospering!

"Tekneluru mi'aru mi aji, il'sidekhir'ra mi, lajistas. Mi'ki'vasu kynha'het kijitax." Hank͜hila Sede, first lentine (translation: A dream is only a dream until it is reached. After that, it becomes something trivial)

Headlines from the Na~ovi Nanti: Hetkali election ended in no candidate over 2% hurdle - Syku I Jai fired as coach of Aetaila Seli, youth coach Hea I Juien takes over reins of club - Rising number of fairy penguins in Sumumusumu and neighboring islands

This person is pro-EU and proud of it! They are also a Eurofederalist and want the Federated States of Europe!

Pythagosaurus
Cute Purple Dinosaur

Founded: Nov 24, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Pythagosaurus » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:46 am

I'm pretty sure racist has always been an adjective.

Vilmaria
Lobbyist

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vilmaria » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:59 am

both racist and racial can be used as adjectives but the nuance is different. Racial is more neutral whereas racist makes a value judgment and comes across in something of a negative light.
aww well who's John Galt
behave or the UN will send you a strongly worded letter
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 5.50 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.90

Return to Got Issues?