NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Good Grief

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
West Barack and East Obama
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

[Draft] Good Grief

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:06 am

Had an idea. It's pretty rough, especially on the effect lines, so feedback is definitely appreciated as always!

[title] Good Grief

[desc] Visitors to government websites were bombarded with spammy images, insults and statements against your rule as they logged in this morning. It has been revealed that this mass griefing was orchestrated by anonymous hacktivists in a protest against your governance. Whilst the defacement has been reversed, many of your closest advisors are still processing the incident.

[validity] has the internet, moderate ignorance levels

[option] "The defamatory content may be gone, but the damage is done!" exclaims Minister of Truth Victoria Mildew. "Can you believe some of this graffiti? '@@LEADER@@ consults poorly-constructed nation simulator games for policy decisions more than their own advisors'! Like, that can't be true. I don't believe it! I refuse to believe it! Yet, people probably do, because they saw it with their own eyes on a 'government website'! We need to focus all of our resources on busting all of the myths plastered on the websites with a thorough media campaign. Now THAT's a cause I can believe in!"

[effect] the government is viewed as being unable to make its own mind up

[option] "Those punks did WHAT!?" roars the perpetually-angry Police Commissioner @@RANDOMNAME@@ as @@HE@@ smashes up your computer monitor with his truncheon. "They think that what, just because they sprayed graffiti on some pixels instead of a park bench that it's okay? Those scumbags won't be 'anonymous' anymore once the long arm of the law comes reaching for them. Invest heavily in the cybercrimes division of our police force so that we can catch these vandals and have them severely punished!" He smacks the truncheon against your keyboard for emphasis.

[effect] interns get arrested after changing their boss' computer's wallpaper

[option] "Whatever happened to simple logic and reasoning?" mutters Minister of Technology @@RANDOMNAME@@. "It's clear that this security breach has shocked many and sowed a deep distrust in our government. We could have done better than putting the login details on a post-it note on the communal fridge in the Ministry of Defence. If only we had some kind of advanced authentication system, none of this would had happened. We should prevent future incidents and restore the public's faith in our digital security by beefing it all up. We could even engage with some of the perpetrators and negotiate a deal for them to help us patch the holes they exploited in exchange for less punishment - how could they refuse a bargain like that?"

[effect] software engineers break into government databases to attach their resumes

[option] "Why do people on the Internet have to be so mean to me?" sobs Minister of Foreign Affairs @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Look at the horrible things they said about me. Some were calling me four-eyed, others called a nerd. One particularly awful one even called me a massive loser. People have truly one too far. The Internet brings out the worst in us, and it's about time we unplugged ourselves and rid ourselves of this cesspit. Ughhhh."

[effect] the post office's primary job is to facilitate the exchange of hate comments

[option] "Are you kidding? This is the best thing that has ever happened to these websites!" cheers @@RANDOMNAME@@, the webmaster of one of the affected sites. "Even after we removed all the offending content, we've had more internet traffic in the last 12 hours than we did for the whole of last month. We could probably do without all the slander and expletives of course, but we should definitely keep everything else! Thanks to that unflattering image of your head photoshopped onto a snake's body, now everyone knows about the cobra infestations all over @@NAME@@ and how to deal with them. We need to accept these complimentary site designers with open arms!"

[effect] chronically online protestors often rename the Ministry of Defence's homepage to the Ministry of War Crimes
Last edited by West Barack and East Obama on Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:26 am, edited 10 times in total.
Sonnel is the place.

6x Issues Author | Political Figures | Sports Stuff

██████████

Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:19 am

Bump
Sonnel is the place.

██████████

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:59 am

- Given some of the assumptions in the options, might need an additional validity to assume this level of incompetence. Not sure exactly what, but worth considering.

- Sorry to be a downer, but the hardcoded names here don't strike me as funny. I would randomize them all.

- In the description, it feels a little unusual to assume that millions of citizens start their day by logging on to official government websites, unless this is a nation where the government controls all information. Perhaps just softening it to "Visitors to government websites this morning were bombarded with..." or something like that?

- Option 1: The choice uses Ministry of Information, but the effect uses Ministry of Truth.

- Effect 2: Since the choice is about changing *other* peoples' computers, I think this wouldn't quite work. Maybe office interns get arrested for changing their boss' wallpaper?

- Option 3: Should be "Could have done better..." rather than "Could had done better...." Referencing jail time would add a prison validity.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:58 pm

Validity- must not have free speech?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:49 am

Verdant Haven wrote:- Given some of the assumptions in the options, might need an additional validity to assume this level of incompetence. Not sure exactly what, but worth considering.

I've gone with ignorance, since that sort of implies tech illiteracy which could lead to incompetent government websites.

Australian rePublic wrote:Validity- must not have free speech?

Hacking isn't exactly free speech lol
Sonnel is the place.

██████████

Zhensheng Xue
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 28, 2022
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Zhensheng Xue » Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:22 pm

I don’t have many complaints here,

But, you can definitely ramp up the whininess of the Minister of Foreign Affairs in Option 4.
Say, instead of ugh, use Ugghhh. Or, change “Why do people on the internet have to be so mean?” To “Why do people on the internet have to be so mean to me?!”

And for the effect line of Option 1, I think more humor can be added.

Something like “hours are spent erasing insults against @@LEADER@@‘s big forehead”
The name’s Krueger.. Carrie Krueger...

Aspiring Issue Author and Card Farmer!

Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:09 pm

Zhensheng Xue wrote:I don’t have many complaints here,

But, you can definitely ramp up the whininess of the Minister of Foreign Affairs in Option 4.
Say, instead of ugh, use Ugghhh. Or, change “Why do people on the internet have to be so mean?” To “Why do people on the internet have to be so mean to me?!”

And for the effect line of Option 1, I think more humor can be added.

Something like “hours are spent erasing insults against @@LEADER@@‘s big forehead”

Thank you for the comments. However, that suggestion doesn't really fit the option, which is about debunking misinformation rather than targeting the insults. I agree that at the moment it's not really funny, especially with the recent edit to the option, so I'm having a think about an alternative.
Sonnel is the place.

██████████

Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:38 am

Bump
Sonnel is the place.

██████████

Pacific Haven
Envoy

Founded: Dec 14, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Pacific Haven » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:44 am

Option 1's effect should be "make its own mind up"?
Commonwealth of the Pacific Haven
"For the Pacific People"

Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:46 am

Pacific Haven wrote:Option 1's effect should be "make its own mind up"?

Oops. Fixed.
Sonnel is the place.

██████████

Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:40 am

Bump
Sonnel is the place.