NATION

PASSWORD

[Q] Issue #735

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
-Floptropica-
Envoy

Founded: Sep 23, 2023
Ex-Nation

[Q] Issue #735

Postby -Floptropica- » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:52 am

I just got Issue #735, and it says that the rapper "Wally E was recently taken to court for the suspected murder of a policeman, but was found innocent due to lack of evidence. This surprised many, as one of his more popular raps (“I Killed A Cop And I Liked It”) contained a complete confession for the shooting within its lyrics." I was just wondering if the rap in question was inspired by Katy Perry's "I Kissed A GIrl", which has similar lyrics (I kissed a girl and I liked it), since that song was released in 2008 and the issue in question was published in 2009?
Welcome to Floptropica! | She/They | NS Stats not canon
Flopondon Post | Nickee Minaj, governor of Nickitea, declares state of emergency after gang violence, led by Meghan-thee Stallion, rocks provincial capital Gag City | Pooja Misrra, the mayor of Flop City, an Independent, drops out of presidential race  | Current President Deborah Ali-Williams wins the All People's Democratic Party Primary in Potaxiene, scoring a huge win for liberals

Overview | Factbooks

West Barack and East Obama
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:59 am

-Floptropica- wrote:I just got Issue #735, and it says that the rapper "Wally E was recently taken to court for the suspected murder of a policeman, but was found innocent due to lack of evidence. This surprised many, as one of his more popular raps (“I Killed A Cop And I Liked It”) contained a complete confession for the shooting within its lyrics." I was just wondering if the rap in question was inspired by Katy Perry's "I Kissed A GIrl", which has similar lyrics (I kissed a girl and I liked it), since that song was released in 2008 and the issue in question was published in 2009?

That issue was not published in 2009, the issues reporting thread's posts were made in 2009. The issue was first reported in 2017.

Anyways, as there was no public drafting thread for the issue as far as I can see, there's no certainty that the song title is a reference as intended by the author.

(The main reference anyways is definitely Ice T's Cop Killer song, so my theory would be that the Katy Perry riff was an intentional parody of the serious gritty murderous song to make it sound like a cheesy pop one)
Last edited by West Barack and East Obama on Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sonnel is the place.

6x Issues Author | Political Figures | Sports Stuff

██████████

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:33 am

Yeah, as the adder of that reference to that issue, I can confirm it was definitely intentional. In my head, I imagined that they'd sampled the Katy Perry song and rapped over it, as rappers are wont to do.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Return to Got Issues?