NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Don't Look Up, Citizen

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

[DRAFT] Don't Look Up, Citizen

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:22 am

TITLE:
Don't Look Up, Citizen

VALIDITY:
computers but no internet, state controlled news

DESCRIPTION:
Your ineffably wise decision to control the flow of information to the unwashed masses has left your populace cut off from the internet and from unregulated news media, creating a populace that only hears what you want them to hear. Unfortunately Helen Moosk, a tech billionaire from the United Federation, has unilaterally declared her intention to give the whole world access to an free unregulated internet through Skylinknet, an array of low-orbiting satellites, easily accessible with simple (and easily concealed) receiver devices.

OPTION 1
"This is a threat to our national information hegemony, giving dissidents and doubters dangerous access to radicalising ideas, terrorist resources, and worst of all, the truth," worries your Minister of Information, anxiously gnawing @@HIS@@ fingernails to bloody stubs. "We can't believe that the United Federation government isn't secretly encouraging Moosk in this endeavour. Why else would a greedy capitalist like her be offering a free service? We need to the pressure the United Federation, and respond to this threat to our national sovereignty with threats to their security. They've a history of backing down when faced with strong and determined nations, and with a few trade blockades and 'military exercises' near their borders we can encourage them to tie Moosk up with red tape, and end her subversive ambitions."

OUTCOME:
diplomacy consists of speaking loudly and carrying a big stick

OPTION 2
"That's a sticking plaster solution at best, and not guaranteed to staunch the haemorrhage of information into our nation," complains your Air Force commander. "Why not deal with the problem more directly? With a little R&D I reckon our boys can eliminate low orbit satellites fairly easily: debris fields for them to crash into, EMP pulses to fry them as they fly, or just a reactive missile command popping them like a 1980s Atari game. Pew! Pew! Pew!"

OUTCOME:
every night is firework night

OPTION 3
"Or maybe we can adopt an approach that DOESN'T antagonise a nuclear-armed economic powerhouse with multiple international allies, how does that sound?" suggests your Minister of Compromise, giving you a soothing upper back massage. "We can't control what those people put into space, but we can certainly limit the ability of our own people to access the network. Strip our nation of computers of all sorts, and all that subversive electromagnetic noise will be nothing more than background radiation, unseen and unheard by our blithely ignorant citizens."

OUTCOME:
a "scientific calculator" is an abacus with a slide rule on the side

OPTION 4
"There's more than one way to skin an internet cat meme," muses your uncle, who has had way too much time on his hands since the internet ban, though his right wrist's longstanding repetitive strain injury seems to have improved. "Let's just let people back on the internet, but put more effort into controlling the flow of information on a global scale. AIs can generate fake news on social media sites, and judicious rumour spreading could allow us to create an online narrative that fools not only our own people but the whole world. After all, that's what the United Federation has been doing for years. Let's get with the program, and turn the internet into a cesspool of misinformation that will drown any dissent."

OUTCOME:
clickbait sites list ten reasons why @@NAME@@ is the happiest nation in the world

editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:00 pm

So... ban the receiver devices?

I suppose some people might still smuggle them, but if (A) you impose draconian punishments on anyone caught owning one, and (B) people can't easily access the schematics for making them because they have no internet, it should be enough to keep the majority of your citizens in line.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:29 am

How would people even know about the existence of these devices? Also, wouldn't low orbit satellites only be over your airspace? Wouldn't they be geostationary? And if so, then why is it a global issue? But even on the open internet, there are methods countries use to geo-block information. Pakistan and China, amongst other countries do this in real life. Why would these satellites change that?
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:50 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Also, wouldn't low orbit satellites only be over your airspace? Wouldn't they be geostationary?
Geostationary is a relatively high orbit (35786 km up, versus "low orbit" being more like 100-1000 km up). Low-Earth-orbit satellites, by their very nature, zip around the planet at high speeds, and so will spend a significant amount of time in the "airspace" (well, vacuumspace...) of nations other than the one that launched them.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:28 am

Trotterdam wrote:So... ban the receiver devices?

I suppose some people might still smuggle them, but if (A) you impose draconian punishments on anyone caught owning one, and (B) people can't easily access the schematics for making them because they have no internet, it should be enough to keep the majority of your citizens in line.

Yeah, that makes sense. Kind of what I was aiming for with the banning computers option, but I guess you can ban receivers without banning computers. Will rejig that.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Return to Got Issues?