NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] As Easy As 123

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Kaschovia
Issues Editor

Founded: Apr 09, 2016
Anarchy

[DRAFT] As Easy As 123

Postby Kaschovia » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:03 am

I had a look through existing issues, anticipating that this idea had been done before, but did not find anything exactly similar based on keyword searches. If it has been done before and I somehow missed it I can see if the premise is reworkable.
As Easy As 123

Validity: Low technological advancement and intelligence, high capitalism, internet must be legal

The Issue: In the early hours of this morning, hackers from Blackacre stole millions of sensitive data records from the servers of media conglomerate @@CAPITAL@@ Global after using multiple commonly-used passwords to crack into consumer accounts. Top cybersecurity experts warn the information could be sold to the highest bidding criminals on the dark web.

Option 1: "Is it really so difficult to enforce more secure passwords?" moans data safety advocate @@RANDOMNAME@@, handing out several non-disclosure agreements. "The laughable security of those servers is cause for national outcry! Do you know how much harm could befall the victims of these leaks? All companies in possession of sensitive consumer data must be forced to use completely unguessable, encrypted passwords at least twenty-six characters in length!"

Effect: most of the business day is spent resetting forgotten passwords

Option 2: "Don't be so dramatic!" snorts @@CAPITAL@@ Global CEO @@RANDOMNAME@@, stopping for a selfie with the reporters at the window. "You want to know where the real danger lies, @@LEADER@@? The dark web. Trust me, funnel more funding into the cybersecurity sector, crack down on those pesky private networks while businesses like mine keep collecting all of that glorious data, and the issue will erase itself! Now, if we're done here, my private jet to the Brancalandian Conference on Modern Media leaves in half an hour and they're cutting me a juicy check for an appearance..."

Effect: dark web data farms are diluted with grocery lists and pictures of cats

Option 3: "I believe in a vastly different world..." whispers avant garde social commentator @@RANDOMNAME@@, playing with a lighter in the corner. "Imagine a society where passwords do not exist. Everyone has access to every piece of data, all of the time. Nothing to fear, nothing to hide... right? We need to totally restructure our attitudes around online presence, especially since we'll all have identical virtual avatars in a couple decades. Call it open access internet, if you will, but make sure to cite me as the progenitor."

Effect: off-grid campervans are all the rage in the wake of the open internet

Option 4: "Absolutely not!" barks bullish full-time network manager and part-time entrepreneur @@RANDOMNAME@@, frantically pushing @@HIS@@ way to your desk. "It's time we actually upgraded our nation's technological security apparatus instead of forcing hard-working @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ to remember ridiculously long passwords every time they want to log in! Companies in Skandilund have biometric identification protocols, standardized two factor authentication, and state-of-the-art encryption algorithms on all commercially-owned servers. It's really quite simple, those hackers from Blackacre wouldn't have stood a chance if those measures were enforced across @@NAME@@."

Effect: games consoles and calculators come with integrated retina scanners

As Easy As 123

Validity: Low technological advancement and intelligence, high capitalism, internet must be legal

The Issue: Earlier this morning, hackers from Blackacre stole sensitive consumer data worth millions of @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ from the servers of media conglomerate @@CAPITAL@@ Global after cracking multiple commonly used passwords. Top cybersecurity experts warn the information could be sold to the highest bidding criminals on the dark web.

Option 1: "Is it really so difficult to enforce safer passwords?" moans data safety advocate @@RANDOMNAME@@, handing your advisors several non-disclosure agreements. "The fact those servers had such laughable security is cause for national concern... I mean, do you know how much harm could befall the victims of these leaks? How soon is it going to be before your private information gets leaked, @@LEADER@@? Make it law that all companies hosting sensitive consumer data have completely unguessable, encrypted passwords at least twenty-six characters long."

Effect: entering passwords takes up ninety-percent of the business day

Option 2: "Don't be so dramatic!" snorts @@CAPITAL@@ Global CEO @@RANDOMNAME@@, stopping for a selfie with the paparazzi at the window. "The compromised data only makes up a tiny fraction of our database, and was taken from a select few servers we've known are due an upgrade. You want to know where the real danger lies, @@LEADER@@? The dark web. Funnel more funding into the cybersecurity sector, crack down on virtual private networks, and the issue will erase itself without burdening upstanding businesses like mine. Now, if we're done here, my private jet to the Brancalandian Conference on the Future of Media leaves in half an hour and they're cutting me a juicy check for an appearance."

Option 3: "I believe in a vastly different world..." whispers avant garde social commentator @@RANDOMNAME@@, playing with a lighter in a dark corner. "Imagine a society where passwords do not exist. Everyone has access to every piece of data, all of the time. Nothing to fear, nothing to hide... right? We need to totally restructure our attitudes around online presence, especially since we'll all have identical virtual avatars in a couple decades. Call it open access internet, if you will, but make sure to cite me as the progenitor."

Option 4: "Absolutely not!" barks bullish full-time network manager and part-time entrepreneur @@RANDOMNAME@@, frantically trying to do something but ultimately doing nothing. "It's time we actually upgraded our nation's technological security apparatus, instead of forcing hard-working @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ to remember ridiculously long passwords every time they want to log in! I've heard companies in Skandilund have biometric identification protocols, standardized two factor authentication, and state-of-the-art encryption algorithms on all commercially-owned servers! If these measures were enforced in @@NAME@@, those hackers from Blackacre wouldn't have stood a chance."

As Easy As 123

The Issue: Earlier this morning, hackers from Blackacre stole sensitive consumer data worth millions of @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ from the servers of media conglomerate @@CAPITAL@@ Global after correctly guessing multiple commonly used passwords.

Option 1: "Is it really so difficult to enforce safer passwords?" moans data safety advocate @@RANDOMNAME@@, handing your advisors several non-disclosure agreements. "The fact those servers had such laughable security is cause for national concern... I mean, is every information-fueled corporation using single words and pet names in this day and age? How soon is it going to be before your private information gets leaked, @@LEADER@@? Make it law that all companies hosting sensitive consumer data have completely unguessable, encrypted passwords at least twenty-six characters long."

Option 2: "Don't be so dramatic!" snorts @@CAPITAL@@ Global CEO @@RANDOMNAME@@, stopping for a selfie with the paparazzi at the window. "The stolen information makes up a tiny fraction of our overall database, and was taken from a select few servers we've known are due an upgrade. Besides, I'm not sure if it's your place to tell me how to run my company! Now, if it's alright, my private jet to the Brancalandian Conference on the Future of Media leaves in half an hour and they're cutting me a juicy check for an appearance."

Option 3: "I believe in a vastly different world..." whispers avant garde social commentator @@RANDOMNAME@@, playing with a lighter in a dark corner. "Imagine a society where passwords do not exist. Everyone has access to every piece of data, all of the time. Nothing to fear, nothing to hide... right? We need to totally restructure our attitudes around online presence, especially since we'll all have identical virtual avatars in a couple decades. Call it open access internet, if you will, but make sure to cite me as the progenitor."

Option 4: "Absolutely not!" barks bullish full-time network manager and part-time entrepreneur @@RANDOMNAME@@, frantically trying to do something but ultimately doing nothing. "It's time we actually upgraded our nation's technological security apparatus, instead of forcing hard-working @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ to remember ridiculously long passwords every time they want to log in! I've heard companies in Skandilund have biometric identification protocols, standardized two factor authentication, and state-of-the-art encryption algorithms on all commercially-owned servers! If these measures were enforced in @@NAME@@, those hackers from Blackacre wouldn't have stood a chance."

As Easy As 123

The Issue: In the early hours of this morning, hackers from Blackacre stole sensitive consumer data worth millions of @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ from the servers of media conglomerate @@CAPITAL@@ Global after correctly guessing multiple common passwords.

Option 1: "Is it really so difficult to enforce safer passwords?" moans data safety arbiter @@RANDOMNAME@@, pacing the room with several non-disclosure agreements. "The fact those servers had such laughable security is cause for national concern... I mean, is every information-fueled corporation using single words and pet names in this day and age? How soon is it going to be before your private information gets leaked, @@LEADER@@? Make it law that all companies hosting sensitive consumer data have completely unguessable, encrypted passwords at least twenty-six characters long."

Option 2: "Don't be so dramatic!" snorts @@CAPITAL@@ Global CEO @@RANDOMNAME@@, stopping for a quick photoshoot with paparazzi at the window. "The stolen information makes up a tiny fraction of our overall database, and was taken from a select few servers we've known are due an upgrade. Besides, I'm not sure if it's your place to tell me how to run my company. Now, if it's alright, my private jet to the Brancalandian Conference on Media Futures leaves in twenty minutes and they're cutting me a juicy check for an appearance I intend to make."

Option 4: "Absolutely not!" barks bullish full-time network manager and part-time entrepreneur @@RANDOMNAME@@, frantically trying to do something but ultimately doing nothing. "It's time we actually upgraded our nation's technological security apparatus, instead of forcing hard-working @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ to remember ridiculously long passwords every time they want to log in! I've heard companies in Skandilund have biometric identification protocols, standardized two factor authentication, and state-of-the-art encryption algorithms on all commercially-owned servers! If these standards were enforced in @@NAME@@, those hackers from Blackacre wouldn't have stood a chance."

As Easy As 123

The Issue: In the early hours of this morning, hackers from Blackacre stole sensitive consumer data worth millions of @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ from the servers of media conglomerate @@CAPITAL@@ Global after correctly guessing multiple common passwords.

Option 1: "Is it really so difficult to enforce safer passwords?" moans data safety arbiter @@RANDOMNAME@@, pacing the room with several non-disclosure agreements. "The fact those servers had such laughable security is cause for national concern... I mean, is every information-fueled corporation using single words and pet names in this day and age? How soon is it going to be before your private information gets leaked, @@LEADER@@? Make it law that all companies hosting sensitive consumer data have completely unguessable, encrypted passwords at least twenty-six characters long."

Option 2: "Don't be so dramatic!" snorts @@CAPITAL@@ Global CEO @@RANDOMNAME@@, stopping for a quick photoshoot with paparazzi at the window. "The stolen information makes up a tiny fraction of our overall database, and was taken from a select few servers we've known are due an upgrade. Besides, I'm not sure if it's your place to tell me how to run my company. Now, if it's alright, my private jet to the Brancalandian Conference on Media Futures leaves in twenty minutes and they're cutting me a juicy check for an appearance I intend to make."

Option 3: "I believe in a vastly different world..." whispers avant garde social commentator @@RANDOMNAME@@, playing with a lighter in a dark corner. "Imagine a society where passwords do not exist. Everyone has access to every piece of data, all of the time. Nothing to fear, nothing to hide... right? We need to totally restructure our attitudes around online presence, especially since we'll all have identical virtual avatars in a couple decades. Call it an open access internet, if you will, but make sure to cite me as the progenitor."

Last edited by Kaschovia on Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:56 am, edited 10 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:17 am

You've failed to convince me that this is an issue for the government, rather than the company
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

West Barack and East Obama
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:29 am

Australian rePublic wrote:You've failed to convince me that this is an issue for the government, rather than the company

It's not an issue unless the government decides to punish them for having weak passwords, which is what option one does. Since it's only consumer data getting hacked, and not company secrets or bank accounts, they have little reason to give a crap. However, an enemy nation getting hold of sensitive data does pose a threat to their safety and is something the government should be concerned about.
Last edited by West Barack and East Obama on Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sonnel is the place.

6x Issues Author | Political Figures | Sports Stuff

██████████

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:35 am

Interestingly, some researches have suggested that "easier" passwords can actually be safer, on the grounds that the harder a password is to remember, the more likely people are to write it down somewhere that it can be stolen/eavesdropped. Of course, within limits. Don't make your password "password".

Someone might also suggest that passwords are inherently inadequate and alternative security authentification measures should be employed, such as biometric identification.

Kaschovia
Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Kaschovia » Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:13 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Interestingly, some researches have suggested that "easier" passwords can actually be safer, on the grounds that the harder a password is to remember, the more likely people are to write it down somewhere that it can be stolen/eavesdropped. Of course, within limits. Don't make your password "password".

Someone might also suggest that passwords are inherently inadequate and alternative security authentification measures should be employed, such as biometric identification.

Inspired by your comment about passwords being inherently inadequate, I have added a fourth option focused on greater authentication measures. Ultimately, this issue would be for a nation not too fussed about or knowledgeable of information security procedures, hence low technological advancement and intelligence.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:00 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Interestingly, some researches have suggested that "easier" passwords can actually be safer, on the grounds that the harder a password is to remember, the more likely people are to write it down somewhere that it can be stolen/eavesdropped. Of course, within limits. Don't make your password "password".

"swordfish"?
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Kaschovia
Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Kaschovia » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:02 am

I've made some changes to the description and to some of the options. Further feedback on this would be appreciated!

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:38 pm

- I'm still concerned that this sounds more like a private matter than a government one. Option 1 pokes at the idea of being a national concern, but doesn't actually explain why. What is the national security impact, or economic fallout, or other government-inciting trigger here?

- Option 2 has the common libertarian option challenge of not really doing anything. What government action can be clearly taken here?

Kaschovia
Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Kaschovia » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:17 am

Verdant Haven wrote:- I'm still concerned that this sounds more like a private matter than a government one. Option 1 pokes at the idea of being a national concern, but doesn't actually explain why. What is the national security impact, or economic fallout, or other government-inciting trigger here?

- Option 2 has the common libertarian option challenge of not really doing anything. What government action can be clearly taken here?

The real inciting trigger here is the sale of sensitive consumer data on the dark web, most likely for nefarious use by criminals, which I think I have made more clear in the first option and description. I have also reworked the second option.
Last edited by Kaschovia on Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaschovia
Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Kaschovia » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:57 am

I thought I would revisit this draft and I have made some changes across the board. Mostly just the wording of each section.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?