NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Age Police

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Amonagus
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 19, 2022
Civil Rights Lovefest

[SUBMITTED] Age Police

Postby Amonagus » Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:05 pm

Decided to try making my first issue so don’t expect anything good, sorry if I have done something wrong.

Age Police

Validity: Needs internet, content ratings for video games

Issue: Recently, it was discovered that children across @@NAME@@ had purchased and played various online games featuring heavy swearing, alcohol and drug usage, nudity, and even sexual content, despite age ratings clearly indicating that the games were not meant for children. Now, concerned parents all over @@NAME@@ are calling for better enforcement of game content ratings.

Option 1: “We need to enforce age ratings better to protect our children from disgusting imagery like THAT!” Yells @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, an overprotective mother, as she points to an in-game screenshot showing several players consuming alcohol. “These sorts of games are dangerous for kids! Today, our children are playing these games, and tomorrow they’ll be robbing people blind in the streets to fund their addictions! Enforcing age ratings in person is easy, but if it’s online, who knows who’s buying the game? If people want to buy video games online, they should provide proof of their age, like their photo ID! Anyone can lie about what their age is online, but not when photos are included!”

Effect: parents' ID cards are usually found in their children's hands

Option 2: “Good idea, but we need to do more than just getting ID cards.” states @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, who is, most notably, not a parent. “Kids can easily grab their mom or dad's ID, use it, and then return it before their parents notice, so why don’t we just scare them so badly that they never try it? If children are caught playing a game they’re too young to play, show them a nice, long presentation on what adult games can do to a child’s mind. Sure, the effects of games probably won’t scare kids much, but we could make up a few consequences of our own and maybe make existing consequences sound worse than they actually are.”

Effect: children believe that mature video games can make their game consoles and computers self-destruct

Option 3: “I don’t see the issue here.” Says @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, the mother of one of the children found playing adult-rated games, and a gamer herself. “My child’s having fun, and I get some peace and quiet. No one needs to enforce age ratings. Heck, they aren’t even followed! Parents know their children best, so we can decide whether we want our children playing these games, meaning that age ratings aren’t needed. Plus, I don’t even like the idea of game companies knowing what I look like. In the end, it’d be yet another organization that knows more about me than they should.” She adds on, as she designs her in-game avatar who is practically identical to her.

Effect: @@DEMONYM_ADJECTIVE@@ children are dominating the in-game crime world

Age Police

Issue: Recently, it was discovered that children across @@NAME@@ had purchased and played various online games featuring heavy swearing, alcohol and drug usage, nudity, and even sexual content, despite age ratings clearly indicating that the games were not meant for children, and now concerned parents all over @@NAME@@ have been calling for better enforcement of game content ratings.

Option 1: “We need to enforce age ratings better to protect our children from disgusting imagery like THAT!” Yells @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, an overprotective mother, as she points to an in-game screenshot showing several players consuming alcohol. “These sorts of games are dangerous for kids! Today, our children are playing these games, and tomorrow, they’ll be robbing people blind in the streets to fund their addictions! Enforcing age ratings in person is easy, but if it’s online, who knows who’s buying the game? If people want to buy video games online, they should provide proof of their age, like their photo ID! Anyone can lie about what their age is online, but not when photos are included!”

Option 2: “Good idea, but we need to do more than just getting ID cards.” states @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, who is, most notably, not a parent. “Kids can easily grab their mom or dad's ID, use it, and return it before anyone notices, so why don’t we just scare them so they don’t try it? If children are caught playing a game they’re too young to play, show them a nice, long presentation on what adult games can do to a child’s mind. Sure, the effects of games probably won’t scare kids much, but we could make up a few consequences of our own, and maybe make existing consequences sound worse than they actually are.”

Effect: children believe that mature video games can make their game consoles self-destruct

Option 3: “I don’t see the issue here.” Says @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, the mother of one of the children found playing adult-rated games, and a gamer herself. “My child’s having fun, and I get some peace and quiet. No one needs to enforce age ratings. Heck, they aren’t even followed! Parents know their children the best, so we can decide whether we want our children playing these games. Age ratings aren’t needed. Plus, I don’t even like the idea of game companies knowing what I look like. In the end, it’d be yet another organization that knows more about me than they should.” She adds on, as she designs her in-game avatar who is practically identical to her.

Age Police

Issue: Recently, it was discovered that children across @@NAME@@ had purchased and played various online games featuring heavy swearing, alcohol and drug usage, nudity, and even sexual content, despite age ratings clearly indicating that the games were not meant for children, and now concerned parents all over @@NAME@@ have been calling for better enforcement of game content ratings.

Option 1: “We need to enforce age ratings better to protect our children from disgusting imagery like THAT!” Yells @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, an overprotective mother, as she points to an in-game screenshot showing several players consuming alcohol. “These sorts of games are dangerous for kids! Today, our children are playing these games, and tomorrow, they’ll be robbing people blind in the streets to fund their addictions! Enforcing age ratings in person is easy, but if it’s online, who knows who’s buying the game? If people want to buy video games online, they should provide proof of their age, like their photo ID! Anyone can lie about what their age is online, but not when photos are included!”

Option 2: “Good idea, but we need to do more than just getting ID cards.” states @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, who is, most notably, not a parent. “Kids can easily grab their mom or dad's ID, use it, and return it before anyone notices, so why don’t we just scare them so they don’t try it? If children are caught playing a game they’re too young to play, show them a nice, long presentation on what adult games can do to a child’s mind. Sure, the effects of games probably won’t scare kids much, but we could make up a few consequences of our own, and maybe make existing consequences sound worse than they actually are.”

Effect: children believe that mature video games can make their game consoles self-destruct

Option 3: “I don’t see the issue here.” Says @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, the mother of one of the children found playing adult-rated games, and a gamer herself. “My child’s having fun, and I get some peace and quiet. No one needs to enforce age ratings. Heck, they aren’t even followed! The people rating these games need to be paid, and game developers are the ones footing the bill! Big companies can handle the bill, but smaller developers can’t, and every single @@CURRENCY@@ counts for them! It’s worse when you know that developers need an age rating to sell their game. It'd be better for everyone if we got rid of age ratings. Besides, I don’t even like the idea of game companies knowing what I look like.” She adds on, as she designs her in-game avatar who looks identical to her.

Age Police

Option 2: “Good idea, but we need to do more than just getting ID cards.” states @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, who is, most notably, not a parent. “Getting an ID for proof of age is a good idea, but kids can easily grab their mom or dad's ID, use it, and return it before anyone notices, so why don’t we just scare them so they don’t try it? If children are caught playing a game they’re too young to play, show them a nice, long presentation on what adult games can do to a child’s mind. Sure, the effects of games probably won’t scare kids much, but we could make up a few consequences of our own, and maybe make existing consequences sound worse than they actually are.”

Effect: children are undeterred from playing adult-rated games despite the apparently lethal consequences

Option 3: “I don’t see the issue here.” Says @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, the mother of one of the children found playing adult-rated games, and a gamer herself. “My child’s having fun, and I get some peace and quiet. No one needs to enforce age ratings. In fact, no one follows them! The organisation giving out these age ratings need to pay their employees, but where do they get their money? The game developers, of course! It's not an issue for big companies, but smaller game developers need an age rating to put their game up on more online stores, and every single @@CURRENCY@@ counts when you're a tiny developer on a small budget! These age ratings are barely followed and cost small developers money! It'd be better for everyone if we got rid of age ratings. Besides, I don’t even like the idea of game companies knowing what I look like.” She adds on, as she designs her in-game avatar who looks identical to her.

Age Police

Option 2: “Good idea, but we need to do more than just getting ID cards.” states @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, who is, most notably, not a parent. “Getting an ID for proof of age is a good idea, but kids can easily grab their mom or dad's ID, use it, and return it before anyone notices, so why don’t we just scare them so they don’t try it? If children are caught playing a game they’re too young to play, show them a nice, long presentation on what adult games can do to a child’s mind. Sure, the effects of games probably won’t scare kids much, but we could make up a few consequences of our own, and maybe make existing consequences sound worse than they actually are.”

Effect: psychological warfare is used on children who play adult-rated games

Option 3: “I don’t see the issue here.” Says @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, the mother of one of the children found playing adult-rated games, and a gamer herself. “My child’s having fun, and I get some peace and quiet. No one needs to enforce age ratings. In fact, no one follows them! The organisation giving out these age ratings need to pay their employees, but where do they get their money? The game developers, of course! It's not an issue for big companies, but smaller game developers need an age rating to put their game up on more online stores, and every single @@CURRENCY@@ counts when you're a tiny developer on a small budget! These age ratings are barely followed and cost small developers money! It'd be better for everyone if we got rid of age ratings. Besides, I don’t even like the idea of game companies knowing what I look like.” She adds on, as she designs her in-game avatar who looks identical to her.

Age Police

Issue: Recently, it was discovered that children across @@NAME@@ had purchased and played various online games featuring heavy swearing, alcohol and drug usage, nudity, and even sexual content, without the knowledge of their parents, and concerned parents all over @@NAME@@ have been calling for better enforcement of game content ratings.

Effect: children regularly trick their parents into taking selfies to get adult-rated games

Option 2: “Good idea, but we need to do more than just getting pictures.” states @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, who is, most notably, not a parent. “Listen, getting a photo for proof of age is a good idea, but kids can easily find photos of adults online, so why don’t we just scare them so they don’t try lying? If children are caught playing a game they’re too young to play, show them a nice, long presentation on what adult games can do to a child’s mind. Sure, the effects of games probably won’t scare kids much, but we could make up a few consequences of our own, and maybe make existing consequences sound worse than they actually are.”

Effect: psychological warfare is used on children who play adult-rated games

Option 3: “I don’t see the issue here.” Says @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, the mother of one of the children found playing adult-rated games, and a gamer herself. “My child’s having fun, and I get some peace and quiet. No one needs to enforce age ratings. No one follows them anyway, so all they really do is sit there on the screen and judge you for not following them. All we need to do is get rid of age ratings, and we’ll be guilt free! Besides, I don’t even like the idea of game companies knowing what I look like.” She comments, as she designs her in-game avatar who looks identical to her.

Age Police

Issue: Recently, it was discovered that children across @@NAME@@ had purchased and played various online games featuring heavy swearing, alcohol and drug usage, nudity, and even sexual content, without the knowledge of their parents, and concerned parents all over @@NAME@@ have been calling for better enforcement of game content ratings.

Option 1: “We need to enforce age ratings better to protect our children from disgusting imagery like THAT!” Yells @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, an overprotective mother, as she points to an in-game screenshot showing several players consuming alcohol. “These sorts of games are dangerous for kids! Today, our children are playing these games, and tomorrow, they’ll be robbing people blind in the streets to fund their addictions! If people want to buy games, they should provide proof of their age, like a photo of themselves. Just asking them what their age is won’t work, anyone can lie on those!”

Effect: children regularly trick their parents into taking selfies to get adult-rated games

Option 2: “Good idea, but we need to do more than just getting pictures.” states @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, who is, most notably, not a parent. “Listen, getting a photo for proof of age is a good idea, but kids can easily find photos of adults online, so why don’t we just scare them so they don’t try lying? If children are caught playing a game they’re too young to play, send them to prison for a bit to see what happens if they continue to not follow rules. You know, scare them a little. I guarantee that not even the thought of getting a game out of their age range will pass through their head once they’re done.“

Effect: prisons are also known as time-out buildings

Option 3: “I don’t see the issue here.” Says @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, the mother of one of the children found playing adult-rated online games, and a gamer herself. “My child’s having fun, and I get some peace and quiet. No one needs to enforce age ratings. No one follows them anyway, so all they really do is sit there on the screen and judge you for not following them. All we need to do is get rid of age ratings, and we’ll be guilt free! Besides, I don’t even like the idea of game companies knowing what I look like.” She comments, as she designs her in-game avatar who looks identical to her.

Age Police

Issue: Recently, it was discovered that children across @@NAME@@ found to have purchased and played various violent online games meant for adults without the knowledge of their parents, and concerned parents all over @@NAME@@ have been calling for better enforcement of game content ratings.

Option 1: “We need to enforce age ratings better to protect our children from that… that THING!” Yells @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, a mother known to overreact, as she points to a picture of a slingshot. “Those sorts of items promote violence, and imagine for a moment what our children think of when they see that! Violence and death, that’s what! If people want to buy games, they should provide proof of their age, like a photo of themselves. Just asking them what their age is won’t work, anyone can lie on those!”

Option 2: “Good idea, but we need to do more than just getting pictures.” states @@RANDOMNAMEMALE@@, who is, most notably, not a parent. “Listen, getting a photo for proof of age is a good idea, but kids can easily find photos of adults online, so why don’t we just scare them so they don’t try lying? If children are caught playing a game they’re too young to play, send them to prison for a bit to see what happens if they continue to not follow rules. You know, scare them a little. I guarantee that not even the thought of getting a game out of their age range will pass through their head once they’re done.“

Option 3: “I don’t see the issue here.” Says @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, the mother of one of the children found playing violent online games. “My child’s having fun, and I get some peace and quiet. No one needs to enforce age ratings. No one follows them anyway, so all they really do is sit there on the screen and judge you for not following them. All we need to do is get rid of age ratings, and we’ll be guilt free!”

Effect: @@DEMONYM_ADJECTIVE@@ know more about guns than actual soldiers do

Age Police

Validity: Needs internet

Issue: Recently, a young child was found to have purchased and played Carjacker 10, a violent online game meant for adults, all by himself, and concerned parents all over @@NAME@@ have been calling for action fearing for their own children’s innocence, and their wallets, regarding the age rating system and its enforcement for video games.

Option 1: “Our children are precious, and cannot be exposed to that… that THING!” Yells @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, a mother known to overreact, as she points to a picture of a slingshot. “Those sorts of items promote violence, and imagine for a moment what our children think of when they see that! Violence and death, that’s what! If people want to buy games, they should provide proof of their age, like a photo of themselves. Just asking them what their age is won’t work, anyone can lie on those!”

Effect: children regularly trick their parents into taking selfies to buy games

Option 3: “I don’t see the issue here.” Says @@RANDOMNAMEFEMALE@@, the mother of the young child found playing Carjacker 10. “My child’s having fun, and I get some peace and quiet. No one needs to enforce age ratings. Actually, let’s just get rid of them entirely. No one follows them anyway, so all they really do is sit there on the screen and judge you for not following them. All we need to do is get rid of age ratings, and we’ll be guilt free!”

Effect: @@DEMONYM_ADJECTIVE@@ children know more about guns than actual soldiers do
Last edited by Amonagus on Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:09 am, edited 17 times in total.
don’t know what I’m doing but I’m doing it!

Osheiga
Attaché

Founded: May 08, 2021
Tyranny by Majority

Postby Osheiga » Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:29 pm

Welcome to the forums!

First off, violent video games and parents' reactions to them are already the topic of an issue (issue #188), so if you want to revolve your issue around that you might need to come up with a different way of looking at the situation. That aside, I don't think the premise of one random child getting ahold of a singular adult video game would a very important story so it seems oddly specific in an issue. Instead of focusing on one child it might be better to describe the problem as something affecting multiple children.

Just to throw out a possibility for a 'different way' of approaching this: this issue already assumes the nation has age ratings in place which would presumably only happen after issue 188's 3rd option, so maybe you could tweak this into an offshoot of that issue and hone in more specifically on the age rating aspect? You could focus on the nation's shoddy enforcement of such a system (as you hint at in the "No one follows them anyway, so all they really do is sit there on the screen and judge you for not following them." remark in option 3) and rewrite it in that context.

And for the record, even if I wasn't meant to "expect anything good", you at least made me chuckle with the "who is, most notably, not a parent." descriptor :p
Last edited by Osheiga on Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founder/Governor of Trading Cards! ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ I care way too much about answering issues, so naturally my nation's NS stats/policies are canon
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Pesky card farmer. I own ~0.2% of all NS nations - may the server hamsters bow before my empire!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Author of issues #1472 and #1614!

Amonagus
Lobbyist

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Amonagus » Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:09 pm

Osheiga wrote:
First off, violent video games and parents' reactions to them are already the topic of an issue (issue #188), so if you want to revolve your issue around that you might need to come up with a different way of looking at the situation. That aside, I don't think the premise of one random child getting ahold of a singular adult video game would a very important story so it seems oddly specific in an issue. Instead of focusing on one child it might be better to describe the problem as something affecting multiple children.

Just to throw out a possibility for a 'different way' of approaching this: this issue already assumes the nation has age ratings in place which would presumably only happen after issue 188's 3rd option, so maybe you could tweak this into an offshoot of that issue and hone in more specifically on the age rating aspect? You could focus on the nation's shoddy enforcement of such a system (as you hint at in the "No one follows them anyway, so all they really do is sit there on the screen and judge you for not following them." remark in option 3) and rewrite it in that context.

Thank you for the feedback! I didn’t really think of checking already existing issues for similarities. I’ll work on making changes in a bit.

Amonagus
Lobbyist

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Amonagus » Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:30 pm

Alright, I made some changes to my draft. I’m gonna go to sleep and I’ll see if there’s any more feedback on the new version when I wake up. If there isn’t, I’ll probably read it over one more time then submit it. Tempted to make this my contest submission too, but I probably won’t. I have all month to draft up another issue anyway.

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Electrum » Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:18 am

Amonagus wrote:Alright, I made some changes to my draft. I’m gonna go to sleep and I’ll see if there’s any more feedback on the new version when I wake up. If there isn’t, I’ll probably read it over one more time then submit it. Tempted to make this my contest submission too, but I probably won’t. I have all month to draft up another issue anyway.

Drafting is a weeks long and/or a months long process. You're not going to see success after just one day on the board.

Anyways, this issue overlaps with 1110. It covers the same grounds but in relation to films rather than video games. You might want to search through relevant key words in the spoiler thread just so next time you know you're not overlapping heavily. Issue 1110 has some good humour and characterisation that we'd like to see. Definitely have a look and compare this draft and that issue to see how you could have written it better. Good luck on your next draft!
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

Amonagus
Lobbyist

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Amonagus » Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:58 am

Electrum wrote:
Drafting is a weeks long and/or a months long process. You're not going to see success after just one day on the board.

Anyways, this issue overlaps with 1110. It covers the same grounds but in relation to films rather than video games. You might want to search through relevant key words in the spoiler thread just so next time you know you're not overlapping heavily. Issue 1110 has some good humour and characterisation that we'd like to see. Definitely have a look and compare this draft and that issue to see how you could have written it better. Good luck on your next draft!

Alright, I’ll definitely take a look at the spoiler thread. Thank you!

Amonagus
Lobbyist

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Amonagus » Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:13 pm

So I took a look at issue #1110, and wow, my draft and #1110 are really similar. If I want to make sure my draft doesn't overlap with #1110, I'm definitely going to have to make some big changes to my draft. I already have a couple of ideas on changes that I could make to my draft, but one of my ideas' changes would be big enough to the point where I'd probably have to change the draft's name, and I don't know whether I should make a new post on Got Issues for it, or if I could make the edits in this post.
Last edited by Amonagus on Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Ferret Lands
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 31, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Ferret Lands » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:46 pm

I think that reworking this to be about nudity/sex/drugs/alcohol/swearing some other 18+ topic instead of violence could put it outside of the reach of #1110.
And you can keep the title.

Amonagus
Lobbyist

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Amonagus » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:49 pm

The Ferret Lands wrote:I think that reworking this to be about nudity/sex/drugs/alcohol/swearing some other 18+ topic instead of violence could put it outside of the reach of #1110.
And you can keep the title.

Thanks for the help! Changes have been made.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:36 am

- It took me a minute to figure out how a photo of oneself would prove anything to do with age, given that any salesperson would just look at the child themself. I guess this is meant to be for online purchases, with a human on the other end having to view and approve each photo? If that's what's being suggested, it should be clarified. I'm also not sure why the speaker wouldn't just suggest using a copy of a person's photo ID, which would tend to include things like birthday so there's no guesswork involved.

- Option 2 feels a bit... overly extreme. "Scared straight" is a school of thought, to be sure, but sending children to prison for non-crimes is a can of worms that's a bit out of the league of the dilemma, in my opinion. Maybe soften it slightly to be a behavioral adjustment camp, or a boarding school, or just go whole hog and force them to watch a multi-hour presentation on the dangers of video games that emphasizes terrible and made-up consequences that will genuinely scare them.

Amonagus
Lobbyist

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Amonagus » Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:32 pm

Verdant Haven wrote:- It took me a minute to figure out how a photo of oneself would prove anything to do with age, given that any salesperson would just look at the child themself. I guess this is meant to be for online purchases, with a human on the other end having to view and approve each photo? If that's what's being suggested, it should be clarified. I'm also not sure why the speaker wouldn't just suggest using a copy of a person's photo ID, which would tend to include things like birthday so there's no guesswork involved.

- Option 2 feels a bit... overly extreme. "Scared straight" is a school of thought, to be sure, but sending children to prison for non-crimes is a can of worms that's a bit out of the league of the dilemma, in my opinion. Maybe soften it slightly to be a behavioral adjustment camp, or a boarding school, or just go whole hog and force them to watch a multi-hour presentation on the dangers of video games that emphasizes terrible and made-up consequences that will genuinely scare them.

Thanks for the feedback! I’ve made the appropriate changes.

Subi Bumeen
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 01, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Subi Bumeen » Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:34 pm

i support the kids who play these games and i do not support a secret po-po
i support option 3
Last edited by Subi Bumeen on Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glory To KONINGNOVIPOES AND THE UPR! Guns and War make peace!
He who slays Hitler, controls Hitler
He/Him
and a fan of rock music
And remember Big Brother Is Watching
i am also a big coitus fan even tho i have never had sex before

here is a great song https://youtube.com/watch?v=9gY_SbSIG0U

Amonagus
Lobbyist

Civil Rights Lovefest

[DRAFT] Age Police

Postby Amonagus » Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:35 am

gonna go ahead and give this a little bump
Last edited by Amonagus on Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amonagus
Lobbyist

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Amonagus » Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:16 am

A second bump because why not

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:59 am

- Given that this draft is about kids getting around the existing age ratings on video games, I think that specifically needs to be mentioned in the dilemma. Perhaps rather than saying it was done without the knowledge of their parents, it could be mentioned that it was able to be done despite the age rating clearly indicating it was inappropriate. That will get to the root of the problem we're addressing.

- Effect 1 still reflects the original wording, rather than being updated for the change to the option. Selfies aren't the suggestion anymore.

- Option 2: same thing. This option is responding in part to Option 1, but has not been updated to reflect the changes there.

- Option 3: I dunno about you, but I've never seen an ESRB warning sitting on screen judging me. What is she getting at? This feels like a pretty weak premise for reversing a previous government decision – are there stronger arguments that can be made?

Amonagus
Lobbyist

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Amonagus » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:46 pm

Verdant Haven wrote:- Given that this draft is about kids getting around the existing age ratings on video games, I think that specifically needs to be mentioned in the dilemma. Perhaps rather than saying it was done without the knowledge of their parents, it could be mentioned that it was able to be done despite the age rating clearly indicating it was inappropriate. That will get to the root of the problem we're addressing.

- Effect 1 still reflects the original wording, rather than being updated for the change to the option. Selfies aren't the suggestion anymore.

- Option 2: same thing. This option is responding in part to Option 1, but has not been updated to reflect the changes there.

- Option 3: I dunno about you, but I've never seen an ESRB warning sitting on screen judging me. What is she getting at? This feels like a pretty weak premise for reversing a previous government decision – are there stronger arguments that can be made?

Thank you for the feedback! I've made the much-needed changes.

Amonagus
Lobbyist

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Amonagus » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:54 pm

bumping this again

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:16 am

Option 2's effect line is boring. This could be used to discuss about how little of a shit kids actually give
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Amonagus
Lobbyist

Civil Rights Lovefest

[DRAFT] Age Police

Postby Amonagus » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:39 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 2's effect line is boring. This could be used to discuss about how little of a shit kids actually give

Thanks for the feedback! I’ve made the changes!

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:22 pm

- Option 2, beware of repetition. The lines on each side of the dialogue tag are basically the same thing.

- For effect line 2, don't write effect lines that contradict the player's decision or tell them they were "wrong" to choose it. The player's decision is always correct, so look for a way to present the consequences of an *effective* use of scare tactics.

- Option 3 has gotten pretty convoluted. I can understand the argument being put forward about small developers, but it wraps around an extremely windy path to get there. See if you can find a clearer presentation for the idea here.

Amonagus
Lobbyist

Civil Rights Lovefest

[DRAFT] Age Police

Postby Amonagus » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:20 pm

Verdant Haven wrote:- Option 2, beware of repetition. The lines on each side of the dialogue tag are basically the same thing.

- For effect line 2, don't write effect lines that contradict the player's decision or tell them they were "wrong" to choose it. The player's decision is always correct, so look for a way to present the consequences of an *effective* use of scare tactics.

- Option 3 has gotten pretty convoluted. I can understand the argument being put forward about small developers, but it wraps around an extremely windy path to get there. See if you can find a clearer presentation for the idea here.

Thank you for the feedback! I’ve made the changes. Hopefully Option 3 is short enough now.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:01 am

Amonagus wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Option 2's effect line is boring. This could be used to discuss about how little of a shit kids actually give

No, you don't understand what I was saying. It's not that children don't understand the warnings, it's apathy. They really truly don't care. It would be heartbreakingly funny, as an effect line to see out-of-touch adults who are genuinely trying to solve the problem by educating children of the damage this can cause, only to be obviously to the fact that the children know about the damage but don't care
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Amonagus
Lobbyist

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Amonagus » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:50 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
Amonagus wrote:

No, you don't understand what I was saying. It's not that children don't understand the warnings, it's apathy. They really truly don't care. It would be heartbreakingly funny, as an effect line to see out-of-touch adults who are genuinely trying to solve the problem by educating children of the damage this can cause, only to be obviously to the fact that the children know about the damage but don't care

Sorry, but I’m a little confused. Wouldn’t this make the effect line contradict with the player’s decision? I tried this in Draft 6, but I was told that it would contradict the player’s decision.

Lizgrad
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 21, 2023
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Lizgrad » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:28 pm

This may have some potential.
- 0cala/Illistopia/Lizgrad/Lizzy
Translesbian | She/her

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:58 am

Only thing I'm seeing that I feel the need to comment on currently is that the final option still feels a bit all over, in terms of focus. It starts out with the "I'm not concerned/rules aren't followed" approach, has a middle about financial concerns for small devs, and then ends with a privacy argument. All of those are valid potential cases, but cramming in all three makes each of them feel a bit neglected. Personally, I'd drop the financial thing, which requires the most explanation and stretching of the imagination, and keep it focused on personal privacy and a parent's right to make that decision for their own child.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?