NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Pay-ola

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Weenus
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Pay-ola

Postby Weenus » Mon May 29, 2023 9:10 am

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payola

[TITLE] Pay-ola

[DESCRIPTION] Prominent WMAX radio host DJ Pay was fired from the station last week for engaging in the controversial practice known as pay-for-play–accepting cash, checks, and other gifts from record labels in exchange for giving their songs more airplay.
[VALIDITY] no state press

[OPTION] “Pay-for-play is plainly problematic,” states @@NAME@@, your Minister of Fairness and Reasonableness in Entertainment Ethics. “The practice is totally deceptive. Listeners tune in to shows like DJ Pay’s and believe that the songs they’re hearing are the latest favorites of a music industry professional with a trained ear. What they’re actually getting is simply whatever songs the record label has bribed the DJ to put on. That’s a conflict of interest–the songs getting the most radio play are being selected by the people who stand to profit the most from those songs’ popularity. The only way to protect the public from this pervasive practice is to conduct a thorough investigation and make it a felony to accept money in exchange for airtime.”
[EFFECT] the best DJs are behind bars

[OPTION] “Maybe pay-for-play is wrong, but DJs aren’t to blame,” announces DJ @@ANIMAL@@, his rapidfire voice sounding out from the radio on your secretary’s desk. “When the record labels are throwing so much money around, our only choice is to play the game. Even if I don’t want to take their money, there are five other DJs who will. At that point, the song gets so popular that I lose listeners if I don’t play it. The record labels run the game no matter which way you slice it. The only way to protect listeners is to protect DJs: mandate that radio stations keep the identities of their announcers anonymous, so that record labels can’t reach out to us with bribes.”
[EFFECT] local radio has lost much of its personality

[OPTION] “Only you can stop pay-for-play!” thunders your pubescent publicity consultant, DJ Prop-A-Ganda, who is also your nephew. “The only way to ensure that the listening public is getting the best music from an unbiased source is to take matters into our own hands. Assume control of all the radio stations and have them play the songs the people want to hear. I think Uncle Enzo’s new mixtape could be a real smash hit!”
[EFFECT] @@LEADER@@’s most recent speech has been named the hottest track of the year

[OPTION] “I don’t see the problem,” shrugs @@REGION@@ Records executive @@NAME@@. “Everyone does pay-for-play and everyone knows it, too. We record labels are just trying to give a boost to the talented musicians we know have a shot at greatness. You call it bribery, I call it business. The whole story is written out plainly in our tax returns, anyway. Just ensure that every label is as scrupulous as we are, and everything will be hunky-dory, I’m sure.”
[EFFECT] entertainment companies’ websites list the individuals they’ve bribed in four-point font at the bottom of the ‘About’ page

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:44 am

Why is this a government issue?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:57 pm

- This is a challenging topic, as the actual reasoning behind why Payola laws even exist is not necessarily obvious. I can easily see somebody reading the dilemma and saying "who cares?" What music happens to be popular isn't exactly life-threatening, and has no impact on the day-to-day life of most people. Making sure to include references to concepts of false advertising, embedded discrimination, and concealment of sponsorship will likely help. I suspect the overall issue will also need at least some level of business regulation already in place as a validity, in order for any of the above to be legally in question.

- Speaker 2 is a DJ, so it seems a bit odd to have the option be one that negatively impacts DJs. If the speaker believes record labels are to blame, is there a restriction that could be put on the record labels instead, to accomplish this goal?

Return to Got Issues?