NATION

PASSWORD

[SUB'D | CON'T] Wrecked My Brains

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jun 23, 2022
Compulsory Consumerist State

[SUB'D | CON'T] Wrecked My Brains

Postby The Ice States » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:19 pm

[title] Wrecked My Brains

[desc] Yesterday, the 21-year-old @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ arose in a mental hospital in @@NAME@@, with @@HIS@@ schizophrenia ostensibly cured by a lobotomy. Yet, it turned out that @@HE@@ instead became unable to walk, lost @@HIS@@ intelligence to the point of having to drop out of @@HIS@@ university studies, and perhaps most significantly asserted @@HIM@@self to be the last remaining @@ANIMAL@@. Now, the medical and lay communities are up in arms over the controversial procedure.

[validity] Must have an education system; low to medium scientific advancement; and low to medium healthcare.

[option] A tall man walks into your office, his bag filled with legal documents, and speaks to you in a cold voice. "As the legal representative of @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@, I believe that avoiding personality loss and mental incapacity from lobotomisation – a malum in se and personal tragedy – is non-negotiable. This necessitates both retroactive heritable compensation therefor, where possible paid by those entities responsible for the relevant lobotomy, and full prohibition of the procedure. Countless other nations have held themselves accountable for medical practice under their jurisdiction by prohibiting lobotomies."
[effect] sometimes it pays to get a lobotomy
[option_validity] Must have a court system

[option] The Minister of Justice walks into your office, his bag filled with administrative documents, and speaks to you in a cold voice. "Avoiding personality loss and mental incapacity from lobotomisation – a malum in se and personal tragedy – is non-negotiable. This necessitates both retroactive heritable compensation therefor, where possible paid by those entities responsible for the relevant lobotomy, and full prohibition of the procedure. Countless other nations have held themselves accountable for medical practice under their jurisdiction by prohibiting lobotomies."
[option_validity] May not have a court system

[option] "What happened to @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@ was tragic but a fringe case," argues the surgeon who administered the lobotomy, speaking increasingly quickly. "Mishaps occur, but @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@ Hospital has thoroughly vetted all our surgical techniques while complying with any state regulations. This week, just two patients had scalpels left in their bodies! Having schizophrenia is absolutely a 'personal tragedy', as said by this pencil-pushing layman. I see no issue when lobotomisation is consensual and usually helps cure illnesses. Can the state leave it to us what medical procedures we administer? Now, I have a surge– I just dropped my scalpel!"
[effect] hospitals rest the souls of patients

[option] Meanwhile, Mildgreen Ratched of the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ intelligence agency whispers into your ear, wearing an owl mask. "You know this is a great opportunity to purge the opposition to our government, or even the more rebellious or...epileptic members thereof. Our department can...ensure they get admitted to a hospital and get lobotomised therein." @@HE@@ steps back and quietly adds, "Soon, I– you will be able to freely rule all of @@NAME@@."
[effect] the opposition to @@LEADER@@ is said to be metaphorically – but also literally – brain-dead

Discuss.
Last edited by The Ice States on Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:36 pm, edited 83 times in total.
Factbooks · 46x World Assembly Author · Festering Snakepit Wiki · WACampaign · GA Stat Effects Data

Posts in the WA forums are Ooc and unofficial, absent indication otherwise.
Please check out my roleplay thread The Battle of Glass Tears!
WA 101 Guides to GA authorship, campaigning, and more.

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Drafts eaten by the devil

Postby The Ice States » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:19 pm

[desc] Yesterday, the 21-year-old @@DEMONYMNOUN@@ @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ arose in a @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ mental hospital, with @@HIS@@ schizophrenia ostensibly cured by a lobotomy. Yet, it turned out that @@HE@@ instead acquired epilepsy, lost @@HIS@@ intelligence to the point of having to drop out of @@HIS@@ university studies, and perhaps most significantly asserted @@HIM@@self to be the last remaining @@ANIMAL@@. Now, the medical and lay communities are up in arms over the controversial procedure.

[validity] Must have an education system; low to medium scientific advancement; and low to medium healthcare.

[option] A tall man walks into your office, his bag filled with legal documents, and speaks to you in a cold voice. "As the legal representative of @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@, I believe that avoiding personality loss and mental incapacity from lobotomisation – a malum in se and personal tragedy – is inherently non-negotiable, necessitating both retroactive heritable compensation therefor and full prohibition of the procedure. Countless other states have held themselves accountable for medical practice under their jurisdiction, specifically by prohibiting lobotomies, and so should we."

[option] The Minister of Justice walks into your office, his bag filled with administrative documents, and speaks to you in a cold voice. "Avoiding personality loss and mental incapacity from lobotomisation – a malum in se and personal tragedy – is inherently non-negotiable, necessitating both retroactive heritable compensation therefor and full prohibition of the procedure. Countless other states have held themselves accountable for medical practice under their jurisdiction, specifically by prohibiting lobotomies, and so should we."

[option] "What happened to @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@ was tragic, but just a fringe case," argues the surgeon who administered the lobotomy in question, speaking increasingly quickly. "While mishaps occur, @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@ Hospital has thoroughly vetted all our surgical techniques, in addition to complying with any government regulations. Having schizophrenia is absolutely a personal tragedy, in the words of this pencil-pushing layman. Further, the patient consented to lobotomisation, and the proven benefits of lobotomies in alleviating illnesses outweigh any risk of incapacitation. Can you promise to keep the state out of all decisions regarding the administration of medical procedures? Now, I have a surgery to superv- scalpel right hand... scalpel right hand".

[option] Meanwhile, @@RANDOMNAME_2@@ of the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ intelligence agency whispers into your ear. "You know this is a great opportunity to purge the opposition to our government. Our department can...ensure they get admitted to a hospital and get lobotomised therein." @@HE@@ steps back, and quietly adds, "Soon, I- you will be able to freely rule all of @@NAME@@."

[effect] the opposition to @@LEADER@@ is said to be metaphorically – but also literally – brain-dead

[desc] Yesterday, the 21-year-old @@DEMONYMNOUN@@ @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ arose from a @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ mental hospital, with @@HIS@@ schizophrenia ostensibly cured through a lobotomy. Yet, it turned out that @@HE@@ had instead acquired epilepsy, lost @@HIS@@ intelligence to the point of having to drop out of @@HIS@@ university studies, and perhaps most significantly asserted @@HIM@@self to be the last remaining @@ANIMAL@@. Now, the medical and lay community are up in arms over the controversial procedure.

[validity] Must have low to medium scientific advancement as well as an education system

[option] A tall man walks into your office, his bag filled with legal documents, speaking in a cold voice. "As the legal representative of @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@, I believe that avoiding personality loss and mental incapacity from lobotomisation – a malum in se and personal tragedy – is inherently non-negotiable, necessitating both retroactive heritable compensation therefor and full prohibition of the procedure. Countless other states have held themselves accountable for medical practice under their jurisdiction, specifically by prohibiting lobotomies, and so should we."

[option] The Minister of Justice walks into your office, his bag filled with administrative documents, speaking in a cold voice. "Avoiding personality loss and mental incapacity from lobotomisation – a malum in se and personal tragedy – is inherently non-negotiable, necessitating both retroactive heritable compensation therefor and full prohibition of the procedure. Countless other states have held themselves accountable for medical practice under their jurisdiction, specifically by prohibiting lobotomies, and so should we."

[option] "What happened to @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@ was tragic, but just a fringe case," argues the surgeon who administered the lobotomy in question, continuing to speak increasingly quickly. "While mishaps occur, @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@ Hospital has thoroughly vetted all our surgical techniques, in addition to complying with any government regulations. Having schizophrenia is absolutely a personal tragedy, in the words of this pencil-pushing layman, the patient consented to lobotomisation, and the proven benefits of lobotomies in alleviating illnesses outweigh any risk of incapacitation. Can you promise to keep the state out of all decisions regarding administration of medical procedures? Now, I have a surgery to superv- scalpel right hand... scalpel right hand".

[option] Meanwhile, an article titled "Yellowist Government Silenced Student" was published just seconds ago by the notorious conspiracy theory group, CAnon. Sounding more like an open letter, an excerpt reads "It was very recently that the Yellowist government of @@NAME@@ colluded with Big Pharma to destroy @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@ in order to tighten their grip on the nation. How this benefited the cabal, who knows...was it @@HIS@@ well-educated status, @@HIS@@ religious beliefs, or what else? If there is even a shred of integrity left amongst the Yellowist cabal, they will not only prohibit lobotomies, but also cease and publicly reveal their underhanded collaboration with Big Pharma."

[effect] imaginary friends guide the leadership of @@NAME@@ per @@LEADER@@'s admission

[desc] Yesterday, the 21-year-old @@DEMONYMNOUN@@ @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ arose from a @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ mental hospital. Yet, after leaving the hospital it turned out that not only was @@HE@@ mute, but @@HE@@ had gained epilepsy, lost @@HIS@@ appetite, and perhaps most significantly lost his intelligence to the point of having to drop out of his university studies. It was soon discovered that this was a result of a lobotomy @@HE@@ sought to cure @@HIS@@ schizophrenia. Now, the medical and lay community are up in arms.

[validity] Must have low to medium scientific advancement as well as an education system

[option] A tall man walks into your office, his bag filled with legal documents, speaking in his usual cold voice. "As the legal representative of @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@, I believe avoiding personality loss and mental incapacity from lobotomisation – a malum in se and personal and painful tragedy – is intrinsically and universally medically nonnegotiable, necessitating both retroactive heritable compensation therefor and prosecution of all individuals who administer the procedure. As with my previous defense of the opposition leader against treason charges, here the state needs to hold itself accountable for medical practice under its jurisdiction. Countless other states have done so, and we should as well."

[option] Your Minister of Justice walks into your office, his bag filled with administrative documents, speaking in his usual cold voice. "I believe avoiding personality loss and mental incapacity from lobotomisation – a malum in se and personal and painful tragedy – is intrinsically and universally medically nonnegotiable, necessitating both retroactive heritable compensation therefor and punishment of all individuals who administer the procedure. Here the state needs to hold itself accountable for medical practice under its jurisdiction. Countless other states have done so, and we should as well."

[option] "What happened to @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@ was indeed tragic, but it was just a fringe case," argues the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ surgeon responsible for administering the lobotomy in question, continuing to speak increasingly quickly. "While mishaps, of course, occur, @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@ Hospital has thoroughly vetted all our surgical techniques, in addition to complying with any government regulations, before we can administer them. Having schizophrenia absolutely condemns patients to personal and painful tragedy, in the words of this ambulance chaser, the patient consented to lobotomisation, and the proven benefits of lobotomies in alleviating such illnesses outweigh the slight risk of incapacitation. Can you promise to me not to ban or regulate the medical administration of lobotomies? Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a surgery I'm supposed to be supervisi- scalpel right hand... scalpel right hand".

[option] "What happened to @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@ was indeed tragic, but it was just a fringe case," argues the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ surgeon responsible for administering the lobotomy in question, continuing to speak increasingly quickly. "While mishaps, of course, occur, @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@ Hospital has thoroughly vetted all our surgical techniques, in addition to complying with any government regulations, before we can administer them. Having schizophrenia absolutely condemns patients to personal and painful tragedy, in the words of this desk jockey, the patient consented to lobotomisation, and the proven benefits of lobotomies in alleviating such illnesses outweigh the slight risk of incapacitation. Can you promise to me not to ban or regulate the medical administration of lobotomies? Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a surgery I'm supposed to be supervisi- scalpel right hand... scalpel right hand".

[option] Meanwhile, an article titled "Yellowist Government Assassinates Student!" was published just seconds ago by the notorious conspiracy theory group, CAnon. Sounding more like an open letter, it reads "Recently, the democracy activist @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ was left incapacitated by a lobotomy performed ostensibly to cure @@HIS@@ schizophrenia. This, however, is a lie by the Yellowist government of @@NAME@@, which colluded with Big Pharma to destroy @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@ in order to tighten their grip on the nation. How this benefited the cabal, who knows...was it @@HIS@@ well-educated status, @@HIS@@ religious beliefs, or what else? If there is even a shred of integrity left amongst the Yellowist cabal, they will not only prohibit lobotomies, but also cease and publicly reveal their underhanded collaboration with Big Pharma."

[effect] imaginary friends guide the leadership of @@NAME@@ per @@LEADER@@'s admission

[desc] Yesterday, the 21-year-old democracy activist @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ arose from a @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ mental hospital. Yet, after leaving the hospital it turned out that not only was @@HE@@ mute, but @@HE@@ had gained epilepsy, lost @@HIS@@ appetite, and perhaps most significantly lost his intelligence to the point of having to drop out of his university studies. It was soon discovered that this was a result of a lobotomy @@HE@@ sought to cure @@HIS@@ schizophrenia. Now, the medical and lay community are up in arms.

[option] A tall man walks into your office, his bag filled with legal documents, speaking in his usual cold voice. "As the legal representative of @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@, I believe avoiding personality loss and mental incapacity from lobotomisation – a malum in se and personal and painful tragedy – is intrinsically and universally medically nonnegotiable, necessitating both retroactive heritable compensation therefor and prosecution of all individuals who administer the procedure. As with my previous defense of the opposition leader against treason charges, here the state needs to hold itself accountable for medical practice under its jurisdiction. Countless other states have done so, and we should as well."

[option] Your Minister of Justice walks into your office, his bag filled with administrative documents, speaking in his usual cold voice. "I believe avoiding personality loss and mental incapacity from lobotomisation – a malum in se and personal and painful tragedy – is intrinsically and universally medically nonnegotiable, necessitating both retroactive heritable compensation therefor and punishment of all individuals who administer the procedure. Here the state needs to hold itself accountable for medical practice under its jurisdiction. Countless other states have done so, and we should as well."

[effect] patients are paid to have received lobotomies

[option] "What happened to @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@ was indeed tragic, but it was just a fringe case," argues the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ surgeon responsible for administering the lobotomy in question, continuing to speak increasingly quickly. "While mishaps, of course, occur, @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@ Hospital has thoroughly vetted all our surgical techniques, in addition to complying with any government regulations, before we can administer them. Having schizophrenia absolutely condemns patients to personal and painful tragedy, in the words of this ambulance chaser, the patient consented to lobotomisation, and the proven benefits of lobotomies in alleviating such illnesses outweigh the slight risk of incapacitation. Can you promise to me not to ban or regulate the medical administration of lobotomies? Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a surgery I'm supposed to be supervisi- scalpel right hand... scalpel right hand".

[option] "What happened to @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@ was indeed tragic, but it was just a fringe case," argues the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ surgeon responsible for administering the lobotomy in question, continuing to speak increasingly quickly. "While mishaps, of course, occur, @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@ Hospital has thoroughly vetted all our surgical techniques, in addition to complying with any government regulations, before we can administer them. Having schizophrenia absolutely condemns patients to personal and painful tragedy, in the words of this desk jockey, the patient consented to lobotomisation, and the proven benefits of lobotomies in alleviating such illnesses outweigh the slight risk of incapacitation. Can you promise to me not to ban or regulate the medical administration of lobotomies? Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a surgery I'm supposed to be supervisi- scalpel right hand... scalpel right hand".

[option] Meanwhile, an article titled "Yellowist Government Assassinates Student!" was published just seconds ago by the notorious conspiracy theory group, CAnon. Sounding more like an open letter, it reads "Recently, the democracy activist @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ was left incapacitated by a lobotomy performed ostensibly to cure @@HIS@@ schizophrenia. This, however, is a lie by the Yellowist government of @@NAME@@, which colluded with Big Pharma to destroy @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@ in order to tighten their grip on the nation. How this benefited the cabal, who knows...was it @@HIS@@ well-educated status, @@HIS@@ religious beliefs, or what else? If there is even a shred of integrity left amongst the Yellowist cabal, they will not only prohibit lobotomies, but also cease and publicly reveal their underhanded collaboration with Big Pharma."

[desc] Yesterday, the 21-year-old lottery winner @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ arose from a @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ mental hospital. Yet, after leaving the hospital it turned out that not only was @@HE@@ mute, but @@HE@@ had turned passive and lost his intelligence. It turns out that this was a result of a lobotomy @@HE@@ sought to cure @@HIS@@ schizophrenia. Now, the medical and lay community are up in arms.

[option] A dark-suited man walks into your office, his pockets filled with legal documents, speaking in his usual cold voice. "As the legal representative of @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@, I believe avoiding personality loss and mental incapacity from lobotomisation – a malum in se and personal and painful tragedy – is intrinsically and universally medically nonnegotiable, necessitating both retroactive heritable compensation therefor and prosecution of all individuals who administer the procedure."

[option] "What happened to @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@ was indeed tragic, but it was just a fringe case," argues the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ surgeon responsible for administering the lobotomy in question, continuing to speak increasingly quickly. "While mishaps, of course, occur, @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@ Labs Inc. has thoroughly vetted and approved of all our surgical techniques. Having schizophrenia absolutely condemns patients to personal and painful tragedy, in the words of this ambulance chaser, and the proven benefits of lobotomies in alleviating such illnesses outweigh the slight risk of incapacitation. Can you promise to me not to ban or regulate the medical administration of lobotomies? Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a surgery I'm supposed to be supervisi- scalpel right hand... scalpel right hand".

[option] Meanwhile, an article titled "Yellowist Government Assassinates Multimillionare!" was published just seconds ago on the website of the notorious conspiracy theory group, CAnon. Sounding more like an open letter, it reads "Recently, the multimillionare @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ was left incapacitated by a lobotomy performed ostensibly to cure @@HIS@@ schizophrenia. This, however, is a lie by the Yellowist government of @@NAME@@, which colluded with Big Pharma to destroy @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@ in order to tighten their grip on the nation. If there is even a shred of integrity left amongst the Yellowist cabal, they will not only prohibit lobotomies, but also cease and publicly reveal their underhanded collaboration with Big Pharma."

[effect] per @@LEADER@@'s admission, imaginary friends guide the leadership of @@NAME@@

[desc] Yesterday, the 21-year-old lottery winner @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ arose from a @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ mental hospital. Yet, after leaving the hospital it turned out that not only was @@HE@@ mute, but @@HE@@ had turned passive and lost his intelligence. It turns out that this was a result of a lobotomy @@HE@@ sought to cure @@HIS@@ schizophrenia. Now, the medical and lay community are up in arms.

[option] A dark-suited man walks into your office, his pockets filled with legal documents, speaking in his usual cold voice. "As the official legal representative of @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@, I believe that such tragic circumstances should be avoided at all costs. This lobotomy resulted in extreme pain and suffering to @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@, who lost @@HIS@@ personality and mental competence, while also representing a case of medical malpractice. To that end, it is my genuine belief that the @@PRETITLE@@ should prohibit the administration of lobotomies on any patient, and prosecute any future administration of the procedure. Additionally, restitution should be made available to all known lobotomy victims or, if deceased, their surviving family."

[option] "What happened to @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@ was indeed tragic, but it was just a fringe case," argues the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ surgeon responsible for administering the lobotomy in question, continuing to speak increasingly quickly. "While mishaps, of course, occur, @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@ Labs Inc. has thoroughly vetted and approved of all our surgical techniques. Having schizophrenia absolutely condemns patients to a life of pain and suffering, in the words of this ambulance chaser, and the proven benefits of lobotomies in alleviating such illnesses outweigh the slight risk of incapacitation. Can you promise to me not to ban or regulate the medical administration of lobotomies? Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a surgery I'm supposed to be supervisi- scalpel right hand... scalpel right hand".

[option] Meanwhile, an article titled "Yellowist Government Assassinates Multimillionare!" was published just seconds ago on the website of the notorious conspiracy theory group, CAnon. Sounding more like an open letter, it reads "Recently, the multimillionare @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ was left incapacitated by a lobotomy performed ostensibly to cure @@HIS@@ schizophrenia. This, however, is a lie by the Yellowist government of @@NAME@@, which colluded with Big Pharma to destroy @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@ in order to tighten their grip on the nation. If there is even a shred of integrity left amongst the Yellowist cabal, they will not only prohibit lobotomies, but also cease and publicly reveal their underhanded collaboration with Big Pharma."

[effect] per @@LEADER@@'s admission, imaginary friends guide the leadership of @@NAME@@

[desc] Yesterday, the 21-year-old lottery winner @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ arose from a @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ mental hospital. Yet, after leaving the hospital it turned out that not only was @@HE@@ mute, but @@HE@@ had turned passive and lost his intelligence. Soon, it was discovered that these symptoms resulted from a lobotomy performed on @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@ several weeks ago in an attempt to cure @@HIS@@ schizophrenia. The controversy surrounding the procedure has therefore grown today to embroil the lay community, while also stirring up strong opinions within the medical community.

[option] A dark-suited man walks into your office, his pockets filled with legal documents, speaking in his usual cold voice. "As the official legal representative of @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@, I believe that such tragic circumstances should be avoided at all costs. This lobotomy resulted in extreme pain and suffering to @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@, while also representing a case of medical malpractice. To that end, it is my genuine belief that the @@PRETITLE@@ should prohibit the administration of lobotomies on any patient, and prosecute any future administration of the procedure. Additionally, restitution should be made available to all known lobotomy victims or, if deceased, their surviving family."

[effect] patients are paid to receive lobotomies

[option] "What happened to @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@ was indeed tragic, but it was just a fringe case," argues the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ surgeon responsible for administering the lobotomy in question, continuing to speak increasingly quickly. "While mishaps, of course, occur, @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@ Labs Inc. has thoroughly vetted and approved of all our surgical techniques. Having schizophrenia absolutely condemns patients to a life of pain and suffering, in the words of this ambulance chaser, and the proven benefits of lobotomies in alleviating such illnesses outweigh the slight risk of incapacitation. Can you promise to me not to ban or regulate the medical administration of lobotomies? Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a surgery I'm supposed to be supervisi- scalpel right hand... scalpel right hand".

[option] Meanwhile, an article titled "Communist Government Assassinates Multimillionare!" was published just seconds ago on the website of the notorious conspiracy theory group, CAnon. Sounding more like an open letter, it reads "Recently, the multimillionare @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ was left incapacitated by a lobotomy performed ostensibly to cure @@HIS@@ schizophrenia. This, however, is a lie by the communist Yellowist government of @@NAME@@, which colluded with Big Pharma to destroy @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@ in order to tighten their grip on the nation. If there is even a shred of integrity left amongst the communist cabal, they will not only prohibit lobotomies, but also cease and publicly reveal their underhanded collaboration with Big Pharma."

[desc] Yesterday, the 21-year-old @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ died in a @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ hospital ostensibly from meningitis. Yet, it was later discovered that this infection arose from a lobotomy performed on @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@ several weeks ago in an attempt to cure @@HIS@@ schizophrenia. The controversy surrounding the procedure has therefore embroiled the lay community, while also stirring up strong opinions within the medical community.

[option] A dark-suited man walks into your office, his pockets filled with legal documents, speaking in his usual cold voice. "As the official legal representative of the estate of @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@, I believe that such tragic circumstances should be avoided at all costs. To that end, it is of my genuine belief that the @@PRETITLE@@ should prohibit the administration of lobotomies on any patient, and conduct bona fide prosecutions for those responsible for administering them. In addition, I find that it is best for a reasonable amount of financial restitution to be negotiated with, and accordingly provided to those who have been subject to lobotomies, or the families thereof."

[effect] patients are paid to receive lobotomies

[option] "What happened to @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@ was indeed tragic, but it was just a fringe case," argues the @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ surgeon responsible for administering the lobotomy in question, continuing to speak increasingly quickly. "All procedures we administer are...certified to be safe, and this is the first reported instance of a patient dying at the hands of a lobotomy we administer. It'll be much harder to provide healthcare if you restrict our work so much, so I ask if the government can formally authorise medical professionals to administer whatever procedures they find to be necessary. Now I have a patient waiting- hey, that's not how you hold a scalpel! Nurses these days".

[effect] hospitals rest patients' souls

[option] Meanwhile, a new article is published on the official website of CAnon, a notorious @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ conspiracy theory group. "Yellowist government seeks to prohibit yet more healthcare", it reads in the title. "We have reason to believe that the death of @@RANDOMLASTNAME_1@@ was merely an event staged by Big Pharma to justify the government prohibiting legitimate healthcare, thereby allowing the suppression of the rightful followers of Violet. We pressure the government to cease and publicly reveal its underhanded collaboration with the Cabal of Yellowism and Big Pharma, while also making sure that lobotomies and all other so-called 'alternative' medicine remain legal for all."

[effect] @@LEADER@@ has admitted that their leadership is guided by imaginary friends
Last edited by The Ice States on Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:07 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Factbooks · 46x World Assembly Author · Festering Snakepit Wiki · WACampaign · GA Stat Effects Data

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:36 pm

Wait, so lobotomies are perfectly fine and harmless so long as you don't get meningitis?

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:57 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Wait, so lobotomies are perfectly fine and harmless so long as you don't get meningitis?

Where in the draft is this implied?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:40 pm

Why is @@NAME@@ still performing lobotomies in this day and age?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:51 pm

Bump.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:51 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Why is @@NAME@@ still performing lobotomies in this day and age?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:15 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Why is @@NAME@@ still performing lobotomies in this day and age?

Precisely because it has not yet encountered a situation such as this, or having low scientific advancement, or many other factors.

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Tue May 02, 2023 2:42 pm

Bumping again.

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Mon May 08, 2023 1:09 am

Any more feedback?

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Thu May 11, 2023 3:03 pm

More edits have been effected per discussion on Discord -- comments still appreciated!
Last edited by The Ice States on Thu May 11, 2023 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Tue May 23, 2023 12:50 pm

Bumping again.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Wed May 24, 2023 5:21 pm

- Part of what keeps troubling me here is the use of vague language. What does it mean to "lose intelligence?" For that matter, what is meant by "passive" in this context? In option 1, what is "personality loss" as meant by the lawyer-type? These are such vague things that it feels like they need some kind of example or explanation provided.

- I'm not sure that the description of the patient as a lottery winner really works. That's a pretty specific thing, and is provided as the defining descriptor of this person, but then doesn't impact the issue in any way. It is referenced in option three by the conspiracy people only again as a meaningless descriptor - a multimillionaire - but even that doesn't explain what is apparently more important – how this individual somehow threatened the government's "grip on the nation." If it is meant to be relevant, we need to feel that in the issue.

- The first speaker is described as using "his usual cold voice" which implies that Leader has a standing familiarity with him, but we are told nothing about who this is except that it's "a dark-suited man." If we know who it is, tell us. If we don't know who it is, we need another descriptor.

- Option 2 feels like it's coming from an assumed position where the government has few if any medical regulations, and allows private corporations to directly approve medical procedures. That doesn't feel like a safe assumption.

- Watch word usage for things like using the word "turned" three times in two sentences up in the description

- I would be interested to see a note included reflecting what you currently view as the validities needed for this. You mention in the thread something like low scientific advancement, which is reasonable. At present, various aspects of this also would require validities for capitalism, a court system, the internet, gambling being permitted, and not being nudist. Most of those probably aren't critical to the issue, and adjusting the language could avoid them.

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:24 am

This issue will be submitted for the upcoming issue contest. Feedback still appreciated!

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013

Postby Electrum » Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:51 am

It seems like the text surrounding 'democracy activist' and 'As with my previous defense of the opposition leader against treason charges' is not really necessary because it only enables one part of the last option to come into play. I don't think the issue needs that angle.

I also think there are too many variants. As VH said, careful writing can eliminate these variants. For example, why not use the second variant of option 1 as the only option 1? In both nudity and non-nudity countries people can have bags of documents. For the court system stuff, you can either have a validity of requiring a court system so that you can use the lawyer character, or open up the validity by using the Minister for Justice. Again the Minister of Justice exists in countries where there is/isn't a court system. That would also allow you to get rid of those variants for option 2.

Effect line one can be rewritten as '[effect] sometimes it pays to get a lobotomy'. See how it's sharper?
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:08 pm

Electrum wrote:It seems like the text surrounding 'democracy activist' and 'As with my previous defense of the opposition leader against treason charges' is not really necessary because it only enables one part of the last option to come into play. I don't think the issue needs that angle.

I have removed the democracy activist wording. As to the treason charges part, that is largely to give more context as to the previous history of the lawyer with Leader.

I also think there are too many variants. As VH said, careful writing can eliminate these variants. For example, why not use the second variant of option 1 as the only option 1? In both nudity and non-nudity countries people can have bags of documents. For the court system stuff, you can either have a validity of requiring a court system so that you can use the lawyer character, or open up the validity by using the Minister for Justice. Again the Minister of Justice exists in countries where there is/isn't a court system. That would also allow you to get rid of those variants for option 2.

I have removed the variants vis-a-vis nudity. I do want to use the lawyer character where possible; although is it worth cutting off nations without court systems from receiving this issue in any form?

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:20 pm

Bump.

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:59 pm

Bumping again, given how quickly this was buried!
Last edited by The Ice States on Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Electrum
Issues Editor

Postby Electrum » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:49 am

Desc - the symptoms would definitely be caught beforehand. Also how can someone be simultaneously mute and assertive that they're @@ANIMAL@@? You've got to sequence the information in the desc more logically. Something like:

After a lobotomy to cure @@his@@ schizophrenia, @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ had instead acquired epilepsy, lost @@his@@ intelligence to the point of having to drop out of @@his@@ university studies, and perhaps most significantly asserted @@HIM@@self to be the last remaining @@ANIMAL@@. Now the medical and lay community are up in arms over the controversial procedure.

Again option 1, this phrase: ' As with my previous defense of the opposition leader against treason charges, here the state must hold itself accountable for medical practice under its jurisdiction.' doesn't really make sense. We don't know the context behind it and we don't know how/why the opposition leader was charged with treason and how it relates to this case. Just say 'the state must hold itself accountable.' Again, the ordering of information. The person should say "@@NAME@@ should hold itself accountable by doing XYZ. Other nations have banned this procedure." Don't give reasons why the procedure should be banned, and then calling for it to be banned, then giving more reasons as to why it should be banned.

Option 3/4 have just shifted back to doing nothing. Presumably lobotomies were legal otherwise the issue wouldn't have happened. So saying 'promise not to ban lobotomies' is essentially the status quo.

Option 5 - speaks to assassination but we don't hear about the student dying in the issue

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:26 pm

I have effected amendments to the draft per the above comment -- I am still looking for any more feedback!

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:03 pm

Bumping again.

Electrum
Issues Editor

Postby Electrum » Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:13 am

Option 3/4 - the doppelgangers are not really necessarily / important - they only refer to the previous speaker. You can just take one of the two variants and it will make sense depending on which of option 1/2 are available. The rest looks fine to me. Perhaps other people might have feedback.

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:54 pm

Electrum wrote:Option 3/4 - the doppelgangers are not really necessarily / important - they only refer to the previous speaker. You can just take one of the two variants and it will make sense depending on which of option 1/2 are available. The rest looks fine to me. Perhaps other people might have feedback.

Thanks for the comment -- as per Discord discussion I have made it into one option with "pencil-pushing layperson" being used to refer to the lawyer/Minister of Justice.

The Ice States
GA Secretariat

Postby The Ice States » Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:59 pm

Bumping for any final comments! This will likely be submitted within the next seven days.

Edit: Would appreciate confirmation that this is ready to submit.
Last edited by The Ice States on Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:33 pm

There are a few places where word choice could be sharpened up a little bit - arose "in" a mental hospital, cured "by" a lobotomy, etc. Your "pencil-pushing layman" sentence runs on and is a bit difficult to understand. To maximise your contest-winning chances, you want your issue to be as polished as you can possibly make it.

More importantly, however, I'm not sure about the premise of your last option. It's just a repeat of option 1, but now it's silly. It's not an appealing choice in and of itself - it's just insane window-dressing around a pre-existing option. Try and think of something else that the option could suggest - maybe a reversal of the existing option, where some shadowy minister suggests bribing doctors to lobotomise your political enemies?
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?