NATION

PASSWORD

[Accepted] The Not-So-Long Arm of The Law

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
West Barack and East Obama
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

[Accepted] The Not-So-Long Arm of The Law

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:04 am

Title and effect line suggestions most appreciated.

[title] The Not-So-Long Arm of The Law

[validity] has relations with Brancaland and police

[desc] Infamous whistleblower and WikiSpills contributor Lee Kerr is on the run from @@DEMONYMADJ@@ police on espionage charges. In an attempt to evade justice, he took refuge in the Brancalandian embassy in @@CAPITAL@@. After the Brancalandians formally granted him asylum, your inner circle are outraged.

[option] "That's the third time this week a criminal's managed to escape us by hiding in one of those damn embassies!" booms the Police Commissioner, dressed in full SWAT gear. "To hell with what anyone else thinks! If these other nations want to be on @@DEMONYMADJ@@ land, they have to play by @@DEMONYMADJ@@ rules. Allow us to storm whatever building we want to and catch these cowardly terrorists once and for all. If Brancaland has a problem with that, they can take it up with THIS." He obnoxiously waves his prop machine gun in the air.

[effect] the government invades its allies more than its enemies

[option] "Don't listen to that nutter! Let's come up with a more reasonable solution." protests your Minister for Foreign Appeasement. "Look, there's no need for hullabaloo. We can't let these scumbags get in the way of my job- I mean, the relationships and trust we have spent many years building up! We need to respect their territory and not step a single foot in these embassies without their permission. We should try catching these criminals through good old diplomacy - surely giving up their asylum seekers in exchange for reduced maple syrup tariffs is an offer Brancaland can't refuse?

[effect] government negotiators never forget to say "pretty please" when begging for custody of its criminals

[option] "You lot are such amateurs." chides the ambassador from Althaniq. "You shouldn't get pushed around like this, but you also shouldn't go in guns blazing like a bunch of fools. Want to get rid of these asylum seekers and get away with it? Sneak a few operatives through the back door... and terminate with extreme prejudice."

[effect] loudmouthed journalists are given the chop

[title] Diplomatic Immunity

[validity] has relations with Brancaland and police

[desc] Infamous whistleblower and KwikiLeaks contributor Lee Kerr is on the run from @@DEMONYMADJ@@ Police for espionage charges and has sought refuge in the Brancalandian embassy in @@CAPITAL@@. The Brancalandians have granted him asylum, prompting outrage from those in your inner circle.

[option] "That traitor is just a stone's throw away from us right now!" booms the Police Commissioner, dressed in full SWAT gear. "To hell with what Brancaland thinks! They're shielding a terrorist on their territory. Give us the go signal, and my team will storm the embassy and drag him out themselves. If Brancaland have a problem with that, they can take it up with THIS." He obnoxiously waves his prop machine gun in the air.

[effect] the government invades its allies more than its enemies

[option] "Don't listen to that nutter! Let's come up with a more reasonable solution." protests the Brancalandian ambassador. "Look, there's no need for hullabaloo. I'm not letting this scumbag leaker get in the way of my job-I mean, our longstanding ties. This guy has dirt on some other nations we're surveilling, so it's in our best interests to have him as an asset. If you formally release him into our custody, we will try to make sure he stops blabbing on you guys."

[effect] snitches no longer get stitches

[option] "So, the issue is that we can't force him to leave his sanctum. What if we made surrender on his own accord?" muses Jane Sheffield, lead singer of the thrash metal band Metallitrix. "You should assemble a couple of loudspeakers right outside where he's staying, and blast loud music at full volume! Either the Brancalandians kick him out or he voluntarily leaves, and in both situations we get what we want without being in the wrong! Of course, I give you permission to use my songs."

[effect] the most coveted award for excellence in investigative journalism is a case of tinnitus

[option] "You @@DEMONYMADJPLURAL@@ are such amateurs." chides the ambassador from Althaniq. "Want to make sure he doesn't open his mouth again? Sneak a few people in through the embassy's back door... and terminate with extreme prejudice."

[effect] loudmouthed journalists are given the chop
Last edited by West Barack and East Obama on Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sonnel is the place.

6x Issues Author | Political Figures | Sports Stuff

██████████

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Sacara » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:42 pm

Potential alternate title: The Short Arm Of The Law

I like the premise of the issue: a wanted @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ criminal is taking refuge in a foreign embassy within @@NAME@@'s borders. However, I think the draft would be better served if it observed the premise from a broader angle rather than the current focus, which looks at one particular occurrence. The inciting event can still be the KwikiLeaks contributor hiding in the Brancalandian embassy, but I think the options should look at things more holistically.

Here's how I would set up the options:
  1. Other nations need to know that if they are @@DEMONYM@@ land, they have to play by @@DEMONYM@@ rules We will storm whatever building we so choose to, for whatever reason we want to. If they don't like that, they can get the hell out.
  2. We can't undermine the general trust and relationships with other nations like that! We need to make sure others know they are safe within their embassies and @@NAME@@ won't take a step foot in them, without permission. How about we offer some concession, like a re-negotiated trade deal?
  3. We can't go in guns-blazing, but we can't sit back and act like this is okay. Send in some covert operatives to get the job done. People might think it's us, but they won't be able to prove it. Plausible deniability, right? Besides, hopefully, it sends the message to other countries not to do something like this again.

Love the "terminate with extreme prejudice" bit, btw.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:24 am

Sacara wrote:Potential alternate title: The Short Arm Of The Law

I like the premise of the issue: a wanted @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ criminal is taking refuge in a foreign embassy within @@NAME@@'s borders. However, I think the draft would be better served if it observed the premise from a broader angle rather than the current focus, which looks at one particular occurrence. The inciting event can still be the KwikiLeaks contributor hiding in the Brancalandian embassy, but I think the options should look at things more holistically.

Here's how I would set up the options:
  1. Other nations need to know that if they are @@DEMONYM@@ land, they have to play by @@DEMONYM@@ rules We will storm whatever building we so choose to, for whatever reason we want to. If they don't like that, they can get the hell out.
  2. We can't undermine the general trust and relationships with other nations like that! We need to make sure others know they are safe within their embassies and @@NAME@@ won't take a step foot in them, without permission. How about we offer some concession, like a re-negotiated trade deal?
  3. We can't go in guns-blazing, but we can't sit back and act like this is okay. Send in some covert operatives to get the job done. People might think it's us, but they won't be able to prove it. Plausible deniability, right? Besides, hopefully, it sends the message to other countries not to do something like this again.

Love the "terminate with extreme prejudice" bit, btw.

This is all good feedback, thank you :) I'll get to work on this soon

Too bad I can't credit Francis Ford Coppola as coauthor :p
Last edited by West Barack and East Obama on Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sonnel is the place.

██████████

Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:41 pm

Thank you Sacara - I've incorporated pretty much all of your feedback. Here's Draft 2 up!
Sonnel is the place.

██████████

Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:23 am

Bump?
Sonnel is the place.

██████████

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:27 pm

Re the title: Were you already aware of the colloquial meaning for the term "short arm" ?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:13 pm

Bears Armed wrote:Re the title: Were you already aware of the colloquial meaning for the term "short arm" ?

:blink:

Better change that LOL
Sonnel is the place.

██████████

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?