NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft] Brand Recognition

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
West Barack and East Obama
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2022
Psychotic Dictatorship

[Draft] Brand Recognition

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:59 pm

Here's a random idea I thought of this morning and decided to just write it on a whim. Feedback appreciated! (Especially with the effect lines)

[title] Brand Recognition

[desc] During an official visit to a rural town in Northern @@NAME@@, you noticed a curiously high amount of people there sporting odd tattoos. On closer inspection, it turns out that members of the community had branded these people with hot iron for their various crimes.

[option] "Ever since we've started branding criminals as punishment, it's been so peaceful!" exclaims local blacksmith @@RANDOMNAME@@, showing off @@HIS@@ collection of iron pokers. "The idea that everyone will know what you've done for the rest of your life does in fact turn people away from a life of crime. No need to spend money on useless prisons that teach them to be better criminals, just poke them with these and you're done! You know what @@LEADER@@? You should allow this as a punishment nationwide! Of course, allow me to be the supplier of the required 'tools'." He menacingly points a rather pointy one at your face.

[effect] every drug dealer in town is nicknamed "Scarface"

[option] "Ever since innocent men like me started getting branded, nobody even dares to look us in the eye!" cries a local beggar, whom has enough letters on his face to spell out the complete literary works of poet laureate Catherine Gratwick. "Well, I did mug that old lady. Oh, and yeah, I guess I did break into her house afterwards and stole her jewels. Okay fine, I'll admit it, I used her toilet and didn't flush. But I shouldn't suffer for mistakes I made as a dumb teenager for the rest of my life! Rehabilitation reduces recidivism better than these humiliating, barbaric assaults. You have to stop this madness at once."

[effect] people no longer use the phrase "strike while the iron's hot"

[option] "It's times like these where I really think I was born in the wrong generation." moans your brother, who accompanied you along on this trip and is for some reason carrying a basket full of foul-smelling tomatoes. "This place is so cool! People caught shoplifting here are forced to be pelted in public by rotting fruits and vegetables. That's wicked! You should totally abolish all the other boring punishments and bring spectacle back into criminal processes. As you know, it's always been my childhood dream to take part in a good old stoning."

[effect] comedians performing at public executions have a great sense of gallows humour
Last edited by West Barack and East Obama on Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:13 am, edited 8 times in total.
Sonnel is the place.

6x Issues Author | Political Figures | Sports Stuff

██████████

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:56 am

Why is the first that leader has ever heard of this?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:59 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Why is the first that leader has ever heard of this?

It's a state visit to a rural town, so it's not something leader would had heard of before, being busy ol' leader and all that.
Sonnel is the place.

██████████

Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:33 am

Bump.
Sonnel is the place.

██████████

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:58 am

This has a significant amount of overlap with issue #487 Masks of Shame. While nobody has died in this one, it might need to be re-framed to a significant degree to avoid the overlap in both presentation (rural community with traditional punishments) and outcomes (support expansion/outlaw for barbarism/replace prisons with this).

Diplomat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby West Barack and East Obama » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:05 am

Verdant Haven wrote:This has a significant amount of overlap with issue #487 Masks of Shame. While nobody has died in this one, it might need to be re-framed to a significant degree to avoid the overlap in both presentation (rural community with traditional punishments) and outcomes (support expansion/outlaw for barbarism/replace prisons with this).

Wow, this issue and mine are almost identical. Well, that's a bummer. Consider this on hold then.
Sonnel is the place.

██████████

Return to Got Issues?