NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Everyone's a Victim

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

[DRAFT] Everyone's a Victim

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:56 pm

DRAFT 2
TITLE:
Everyone's a Victim

VALIDITY:
courts, adult

DESCRIPTION:
A forty-four year old woman recently tried to bring her biological father to court over the alleged rape of her mother, which resulted in her conception and subsequent upbringing in foster care. However, her own biological mother refused to prefer charges, and has stated 'the past is best left in the past'. Legal clarification from government is sought as to whether this case can proceed.

OPTION 1
"Of course the judicial system must be able to prosecute where they believe a crime has been committed, with or without the involvement of the victim," expounds retired lawyer @@randomname@@, a supposedly impartial expert, who also happens to be the woman's father. "However in this case the daughter was not a witness to the rape... uh, the alleged rape... and without the testimony of her mother the quality of evidence and the chances of a conviction are slim to none. Do we want likely innocent men dragged into court to suffer the public shame of charges that subsequently cannot be proven? Is court time and taxpayer so abundant that it can be wasted in this way? The expedient and sensible thing to do here is to only prosecute serious crime cases when the victim is willing to press charges, with suitable exceptions for victims who are minors or mentally incompetent, or when there are clear witnesses to the crime."

OUTCOME:
homicide cases are hard to prosecute

OPTION 2
"The old biddy's just worried about her reputation, and probably scared of him still, but she privately told me what happened and I want my biological father punished," explains the daughter, who is under a restraining order not to approach either of her parents after shouting at them while waving a leaf blower at them in an aggressive manner. "Don't forget, I'm also a victim in this crime. I spent my whole life outside of a loving family environment, I've found it hard to form relationships, I can't trust people, I keep losing my temper, I can't hold down a steady job. As a second victim, I should be allowed to press charges, and have my chance to have this rapist face justice for the damage he has done."

OUTCOME:
every bad decision in someone's life is blamed on their upbringing

OPTION 3
"Honestly, you ought to be lowering the bar both for bringing charges and the level of evidence needed to convict," interrupts @@randomname@@, another lawyer who happens to be another of the father's ex-lovers. "Anyone should be able to present their suspicions of sexual abuse and rape, even if they have no familial connection or direct relation to the crime. There's no smoke without fire, and sometimes all you need to do is be close to the situation to smell something rotten going on."

OUTCOME:
schoolgirls who think their geography teacher is a bit weird can make life hell for him

DRAFT 1:
TITLE:
Everyone's a Victim

VALIDITY:
courts, adult

DESCRIPTION:
A forty-four year old woman recently tried to bring her biological father to court over the alleged rape of her mother, which resulted in her conception and subsequent upbringing in foster care. However, her own biological mother refused to prefer charges, and has stated 'the past is best left in the past'. Legal clarification from government is sought as to whether this case can proceed.

OPTION 1
"Of course the judicial system must be able to prosecute where they believe a crime has been committed, with or without the involvement of the victim," expounds lawyer @@randomname@@, offering a supposedly impartial expert opinion while also passing @@HIS@@ business card to the father. "However in this case the daughter was not a witness, and without the testimony of her mother the quality of evidence and the chances of a conviction are slim to none. Meanwhile, the father will be dragged into court to face a charge that may be entirely false, and precious court time will be used at significant cost to the taxpayer. The expedient and sensible thing to do here is to only prosecute serious crime cases when the victim is willing to press charges, with suitable exceptions for victims who are minors or mentally incompetent, or when there are clear witnesses to the crime."

OUTCOME:
homicide cases are hard to prosecute

OPTION 2
"The old biddy's just worried about her reputation, and probably scared of him still, but she privately told me what happened and I want my biological father punished," explains the daughter, who is under a restraining order not to approach either of her parents after shouting at them while waving a leaf blower at them in an aggressive manner. "Don't forget, I'm also a victim in this crime. I spent my whole life outside of a loving family environment, I've found it hard to form relationships, I can't trust people, I keep losing my temper, I can't hold down a steady job. As a second victim, I should be allowed to press charges, and have my chance to have this rapist face justice for the damage he has done."

OUTCOME:
every bad decision in someone's life is blamed on their upbringing

OPTION 3
"Honestly, you ought to be lowering the bar both for bringing charges and the level of evidence needed to convict," interrupts @@randomname@@, who self-identifies as the 'best friend and spiritual mentor' of the daughter, but better known to outsiders as 'that weird @@MAN@@ who shadows her everywhere'. "Anyone should be able to present their suspicions of sexual abuse and rape, even if they have no familial connection or direct relation to the crime. There's no smoke without fire, and sometimes all you need to do is be close to the situation to smell something rotten going on."

OUTCOME:
schoolgirls who think their geography teacher is a bit weird can make life hell for him
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:23 pm

A forty-four forty-two year old woman (sorry, couldn't resist). Option 2's missing an opening bracket for the bolding. It feels a bit weird for the lawyer in option 1 to be advocating for less litigation (and therefore for the case against the father to not go forward, which means they won't be able to make money defending him), but that's just a nitpick (since it could easily be interpreted as the lawyer offering their services for future cases in exchange for shooting down the current lawsuit). Maybe the lawyer's offering their business card to the daughter and advocating for sue 'em all instead of the stalker?
Last edited by Cretox State on Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:39 pm

Good point, I should add some self interest there. Real life lawyers might offer advice that goes against their own profit (because they're never short of work, and are a profession with ethics, despite stereotypes) but that depiction doesn't fit NS well. I'll find some way to make him more self-interested in draft 2.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:50 am

Option 1- what about dead victims?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:33 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 1- what about dead victims?

Yeah that's intentional, to set up the punchline.

Return to Got Issues?