NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Caught in a Debt Trap

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jim the Baptist
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 08, 2019
Tyranny by Majority

[DRAFT] Caught in a Debt Trap

Postby Jim the Baptist » Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:02 am

Co-authored by Dabarastan

The issue
Butiva, a poor but strategically-important nation within @@name@@'s sphere of influence, made headlines this week for signing a historic deal with hostile superpower Dàguó. The deal will see Dàguó offer large sums of cash loans intended to stimulate economic growth, however concerns have been raised over whether the small minnow nation may have fallen victim to a cynical game of debt-trap diplomacy.

1- "I'm telling you, the devil's in the details," your frazzled Foreign Minister declares while struggling to balance a tower of papers. "I've studied the fine print, and apparently if Butiva don’t repay in five years, Dàguó can build military bases on their soil. Do you realise how detrimental that could be for our long-term objectives? I say we bite the bullet and pay the loan on Butiva’s behalf. Plus we could invest enough in their villages, infrastructure, schools, and what have you, so that they're not tempted by Dàguó's dirty tricks in the future."
Effect: foreign allies know that a blank cheque from @@leader@@ is just a phone call to Dàguó away

2- An overenthusiastic junior staffer you don’t recognise hurriedly approaches you. "Why do we take such a hawkish approach to the actions of our foreign partners? Yes, the deal might not have been exactly what you were hoping for, but I for one think we should be congratulating Butiva for their bold sovereign decision! Why not take this opportunity to host a trilateral congratulatory summit in @@capital@@ next week, with the Butivan and Dàguórean leaders as your honorary guests? What a way to show the world what a good sport we are!"
Effect: a slap in the face to @@leader@@ is often met with a polite thank you

3- "So you're tellin' me that in exchange for letting Dàguó build military bases, they don’t have to pay back the money? Well how the hell do we get on that gravy train?" exclaims your brother. "If Dàguó are keen to splurge then I say we should be open for business! I could think of heaps of ways to use that money - more schools, hospitals, and I'm sure a handsome pay rise would be in order for the glorious leader who brokered the deal."
Effect: the nation’s integrity is on auction to the highest bidder

4- Angsty high school student and casual LARPer, @@randomnamemale@@, grumbles as he sheaths his styrofoam sword. "I don't learn that much at school, but one thing I have learned is that nations are a lot like people. And people don't respond to one-upmanship - or, frankly speaking, any kind of dialogue. If the Butivans have betrayed you, there's only one way to make them pay: put on your trench coat, grab your assault rifles, and shoot 'em all up. Then they'll really know who’s boss. In fact, put me in touch with your military general; I'd even be happy to help coordinate the attack. Trust me, I've done this loads of times before. Well, at least in roleplay anyway."
Effect: military orientation consists of repeated viewings of The Basketball Diaries

Dabarastan
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Dabarastan » Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:11 am

Reserved.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:51 am

Why would anyone choose anything but option 3? The other options aren't convincing enough
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Umbratellus
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 22, 2021
Tyranny by Majority

Postby Umbratellus » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:35 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Why would anyone choose anything but option 3? The other options aren't convincing enough

I definitely wouldn’t let a foreign country set up shop in mine no matter how much they were offering.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:40 am

It’s definitely an interesting premise, but the execution feels off. There are numerous nations in Name’s sphere of influence- why’s this one so special as to warrant this kind of intervention? And how would you even unilaterally intervene here, considering the nation already signed the deal? And why would you go after the small nation instead of taking it up with Daguo for encroaching on your area of influence? And why would you celebrate some nation signing a deal with another? And how does invading the small nation make any sense? Is the issue that Daguo’s overstepping with military bases, that the small nation’s getting exploited, or that the small nation’s betraying your goodwill? There are multiple threads here, any of of which could power an issue on their own- the result is this one just seems messy. Taking one of these threads- the potential exploitation angle- the draft might work a lot better if Name is the poor nation being offered this deal with the devil instead of some random other country. Then, it becomes a serious economic and strategic consideration that a national leader is likely to deal with.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Return to Got Issues?