NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] The Dog Ate My Vote

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

[DRAFT] The Dog Ate My Vote

Postby Sacara » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:48 pm

If anyone has any better recommendations for a title, I'm all ears.
[Name] The Dog Ate My Vote
[Desc] Embarrassingly, your party came up one vote short on passing a crucial piece of legislation yesterday. All eyes are now on @@RANDOMNAME(1)@@, a legislator from your party who was seen eating ice cream just down the road while the vote was taking place. Further investigation shows @@RANDOMLASTNAME(1)@@ was absent for over 70% of votes taken in the past year.
[Validity] is a democracy

[option] "The people lose their voice when their elected representatives decide not to show up to work," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, the head of a congressional watchdog group. "In this case, I bet most of @@HIS(1)@@ constituents haven't even realized how many votes @@HE(1)@@'s missed. The only way to fix this is to send all @@DEMONYMNOUNPLURAL@@ monthly reports of their legislator's voting record. Once voters are equipped with this information, they will probably make the right choice once the next election rolls around. I hope."
[effect] multiple legislators have been grounded by their parents after receiving disappointing report cards

[option] "What's the only thing politicians care more about than votes? The amount of @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ in their pocket," says your chief of staff, counting the amount of @@CURENCYPLURAL@@ in @@HIS@@ pocket. "Right now, there isn't any incentive for legislators to work; they get paid the same whether they only vote once or every time. We could fix this by tying their salary directly into their attendance record. For every vote they miss, they get docked a sum of money. You could even make it a competition and give a bonus to those who vote the most often."
[effect] the government blackmails legislators into doing their jobs

[option] "Hey, slow down! I was out speaking with my constituents, which I frankly don't think my peers do enough of," responds @@RANDOMLASTNAME(1)@@. "While my voting record may not be perfect, I can still point you to my laundry list of achievements that I, uh, must have left in my other jacket. Instead of forcing me to be present to vote, I should be allowed to call in and vote over the phone from wherever I want to. This way I can both keep meeting with my constituents and fulfill the duties of my job."
[effect] the halls of congress are filled with tumbleweeds and low-level aides

[option] "What other job lets you constantly miss going to work?" asks your disgruntled janitor, taking the bag out of your garbage can and violently slamming the lid shut. "This is another example of politicians playing by a different set of rules than the rest of society. We elect these people to make nationally important decisions, and they can't even be bothered to show up. Legislators should be mandated to participate in every vote, and if they don't, we can hold a new election to find someone who actually cares about their voters."
[effect] legislators on their deathbeds are carried into the chamber to vote

[Name] The Dog Ate My Vote
[Desc] Embarrassingly, your party came up one vote short on passing a crucial piece of legislation yesterday. All eyes are now on @@RANDOMNAME(1)@@, a legislator from your party who was seen eating ice cream just down the road while the vote was taking place. Further investigation shows @@RANDOMLASTNAME(1)@@ was absent for over 70% of votes taken in the past year.
[Validity] is a democracy

[option] "The people lose their voice when their elected representatives decide not to show up to work," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, the head of a congressional watchdog group. "Right now, there really isn't an incentive for legislators to work; they get paid the same whether they only vote once or every time. We could fix this by tying their salary directly into their attendance record. For every vote they miss, they get docked a sum of money. You could even make it a competition and give a bonus to those who vote the most often."
[effect] the government blackmails legislators to do their jobs

[option] "Hey, slow down! I was speaking with my constituents like any good politician should be doing," responds @@RANDOMLASTNAME(1)@@. "While my voting record may not be perfect, I can still point you to my laundry list of achievements that I, uh, must have left in my other jacket. Instead of forcing me to physically be present to be able to vote, I should be allowed to call in and vote over the phone from wherever I want. This way I can both keep meeting with my constituents and fulfill the duties of my job."
[effect] the halls of congress are filled with tumbleweeds and low-level aides

[option] "This is another example of politicians playing by a different set of rules than the rest of society," says your disgruntled janitor, taking the bag out of your garbage can and slamming the lid shut. "What other job lets you consistently skip out on working? We elect these people to make nationally important decisions, and they can't even be bothered to show up. Legislators should be mandated to participate in every vote, and they should be removed from office. We will hold a new election to find someone else who actually cares about their voters."
[effect] legislators on their deathbeds are carried into the chamber to vote
Last edited by Sacara on Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:56 am

Interesting idea.

i'd change the third option's Effect line to something more like "legislators on their deathbeds are carried into the chamber to vote".
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:55 am

When I saw the title, I was expecting an issue about animal citizens or mail-in ballots. (Mail-in ballots could get lost or destroyed in various ways including being eaten by pets.)

This draft is not bad, though.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:14 am

Bears Armed wrote:I'd change the third option's Effect line to something more like "legislators on their deathbeds are carried into the chamber to vote."
Yes. :)
USS Monitor wrote:When I saw the title, I was expecting an issue about animal citizens or mail-in ballots. (Mail-in ballots could get lost or destroyed in various ways, including being eaten by pets.)
I agree, we can find a better & more descriptive title for this draft, but I couldn't think of one for the life of me yesterday. Those are good ideas for another draft.

Had an idea about the options when I woke up this morning. Thinking about adding a new option and placing it as the first one. It would be the watchdog speaker and he would be advocating for more transparency by compiling a list of the attendance records, publishing them, and sending them to each legislator's constituents. I would have to change the speaker in the docked salary option.

What do you guys think of that?
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:44 am

Sacara wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:Had an idea about the options when I woke up this morning. Thinking about adding a new option and placing it as the first one. It would be the watchdog speaker and he would be advocating for more transparency by compiling a list of the attendance records, publishing them, and sending them to each legislator's constituents. I would have to change the speaker in the docked salary option.

What do you guys think of that?

That looks reasonable.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:31 am

Draft two is now up. Added another option, changed some speakers around, tightened up the wording here and there.

If anyone has any suggestions for a new title, I'm currently on the hunt for one.
Commended by SC #382

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:03 am

Great issue.

My only criticism is that the last sentence here...

Sacara wrote:[option] "Hey, slow down! I was out speaking with my constituents, which I frankly don't think my peers do enough of," responds @@RANDOMLASTNAME(1)@@. "While my voting record may not be perfect, I can still point you to my laundry list of achievements that I, uh, must have left in my other jacket. Instead of forcing me to be present to vote, I should be allowed to call in and vote over the phone from wherever I want to. This way I can both keep meeting with my constituents and fulfill the duties of my job."

...sounds like an admission that it was the legislator's duty to turn up to vote, which is as good as an admission of wrongdoing, which is something politicians only do in extremis, and then only with their "heartfelt apology" and "honest admission" faces on, rather than being their usual defensive selves. I'd suggest instead:

[option] "Hey, slow down! I was out speaking with my constituents, which I frankly don't think my peers do enough of," responds @@RANDOMLASTNAME(1)@@. "While my voting record may not be perfect, I can still point you to my laundry list of achievements that I, uh, must have left in my other jacket. Instead of forcing me to be present to vote, I should be allowed to call in and vote over the phone from wherever I want to. This way I can put my votes in while still fulfilling the duties of my job."

See? Way more weaselly!
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:35 am

How did anyone know that a vote was happening at that very moment? For all they know they might have had a break
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:37 am

Australian rePublic wrote:How did anyone know that a vote was happening at that very moment? For all they know they might have had a break

For RL Westminster there's a signal sent out (presumably before this via pager, now to mobile phones) a few minutes in advance, so that any MPs who are outside the chamber but not too far away can get back to vote.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:04 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:How did anyone know that a vote was happening at that very moment? For all they know they might have had a break

For RL Westminster there's a signal sent out (presumably before this via pager, now to mobile phones) a few minutes in advance, so that any MPs who are outside the chamber but not too far away can get back to vote.

How does the general public know?
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:50 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:For RL Westminster there's a signal sent out (presumably before this via pager, now to mobile phones) a few minutes in advance, so that any MPs who are outside the chamber but not too far away can get back to vote.

How does the general public know?

They can read the list of who voted which way when the next issue of the parliamentary gazette, 'Hansard', is produced.
(Checking on wikipedia -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hansard -- I see that the numerous other political entities with their own versions of this include Australia and, separately, at least three of its states i.e. Southern Australia, Victoria, & NSW.)
For votes on matters of importance & high public interest (e.g. the Brexit legislation), lists of the MPs who voted each way are also commonly given in the more serious of the national newspapers.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:53 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:How does the general public know?

They can read the list of who voted which way when the next issue of the parliamentary gazette, 'Hansard', is produced.
(Checking on wikipedia -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hansard -- I see that the numerous other political entities with their own versions of this include Australia and, separately, at least three of its states i.e. Southern Australia, Victoria, & NSW.)
For votes on matters of importance & high public interest (e.g. the Brexit legislation), lists of the MPs who voted each way are also commonly given in the more serious of the national newspapers.

I see. Or maybe you could say it was televised and that person who reported the incident hapoened to be sitting in the same cage, watching the broadcast

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:57 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:They can read the list of who voted which way when the next issue of the parliamentary gazette, 'Hansard', is produced.

I see. Or maybe you could say it was televised and that person who reported the incident hapoened to be sitting in the same cage, watching the broadcast

Isn't whether or not the legislature's proceedings get televised already the subject of another issue, which means that if you take this route then the validity would have to take that into account?

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:14 am

Bears Armed wrote:Isn't whether or not the legislature's proceedings get televised already the subject of another issue, which means that if you take this route then the validity would have to take that into account?
Only a crazy option about making political proceedings deliberately wacky so they make for better television. Whether normal politics get televised isn't really discussed as far as I can remember.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:18 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:Isn't whether or not the legislature's proceedings get televised already the subject of another issue, which means that if you take this route then the validity would have to take that into account?
Only a crazy option about making political proceedings deliberately wacky so they make for better television. Whether normal politics get televised isn't really discussed as far as I can remember.

Hr'rmm, then maybe that's a viable idea for a new issue as well...

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:05 am

Sacara wrote:@@RANDOMNAME(1)@@, a legislator from your party who was seen eating ice cream just down the road while the vote was taking place

What - no vote-eating dogs? :P
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?