NATION

PASSWORD

List of causes of death

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:03 pm

Trotterdam wrote:In popular culture, though, scurvy is strongly associated with pirates and other sailors, which is why I'm curious about how it's really coded.

Bears Armed doesn't have pirates -- and never did -- but the chart places it at 7.2% for scurvy as a cause of death.
I suspect that saying "No" on 'Workers' Rights' legislation is a factor in this, due to the Admins & Editors presuming that in nations where that happens most of the workforce lives in conditions where it has to subsist on poor-quality diets (largely from 'McRonalds', perhaps?).
The reason why Bears Armed says "No" to choosing those options however, IC is that much in the way of Workers' Rights' legislation simply isn't needed here: Make a job particularly unpleasant/unrewarding, and instead of staying to suffer those conditions most of the Bears would go back to the woods to live on nuts & berries [etc] instead... with the berries providing enough Vitamin C, usually, to prevent scurvy. I explained this to [Violet] during a relevant conversation over in Technical, some years ago, and she actually agreed that because the game hadn't been coded to take nations of educated Bears into account it would be perfectly reasonable for me to ignore this stat... :)
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:19 pm

Trotterdam wrote:In popular culture, though, scurvy is strongly associated with pirates and other sailors, which is why I'm curious about how it's really coded.

Bears Armed doesn't have pirates -- and never did -- but the chart places it at 7.2% for scurvy as a cause of death.
I suspect that saying "No" on 'Workers' Rights' legislation is a factor in this, due to the Admins & Editors presuming that in nations where that happens most of the workforce lives in conditions where it has to subsist on poor-quality diets (largely from 'McRonalds', perhaps?).
The reason why Bears Armed says "No" to choosing those options however, IC is that much in the way of Workers' Rights' legislation simply isn't needed here: Make a job particularly unpleasant/unrewarding, and instead of staying to suffer those conditions most of the Bears would go back to the woods to live on nuts & berries [etc] instead... with the berries providing enough Vitamin C, usually, to prevent scurvy. I explained this to [Violet] during a relevant conversation over in Technical, some years ago, and she agreed that the game hadn't been coded to take nations of educated Bears into account so I think that it would be perfectly reasonable for me to ignore this stat... :)

[violet] wrote:We do try to keep things broadly applicable, but I must admit we are not easily able to take into account that a populace may consist of well-educated bears.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:56 pm

I imagine bears have somewhat different nutritional needs than humans, anyway.

(Though they're more similar to each other than to ponies...)

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:21 pm

Trotterdam wrote:I imagine bears have somewhat different nutritional needs than humans, anyway.

(Though they're more similar to each other than to ponies...)

Well, they are omnivores like humans, but I agree that that's a good point. Probably they till need an external source of vitamin C, instead of being able to manufacture it themselves from other foodstuffs, but I admit that this is a point I've never checked. ("Oops!") In any case, whatever it was that turned them anthropomorphic & sapient also gave them some of Humans' dietary capabilities (They can eat chocolate, and onions/garlic/leeks/etc, neither of which is good for "natural" bears, for example, and many of them are lactase-persistent as well...) so they might have picked up some of humanity's dietary weaknesses at the same time.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Almonaster Nuevo
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Almonaster Nuevo » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:41 am

Hmm. Over 1/4 of my peeps end up getting lost in the wilderness. Maybe that's a euphemism, too. :blink:
Christian Democrats wrote:Would you mind explaining what's funny? I'm not seeing any humor.
The Blaatschapen wrote:I'll still graze the forums with my presence
Please do not TG me about graphics requests. That's what the threads are there for.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:39 pm

What I'd like to know is what gets Bungee Jumping added to a nation's chart...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nantoraka
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 19, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Nantoraka » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:26 pm

Bears Armed wrote:What I'd like to know is what gets Bungee Jumping added to a nation's chart...

Space shuttle mishaps too. I won't stop solving issues until people begin to die from them!!!

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:14 pm

If I recall correctly, space shuttle mishaps are caused by the peculiar combo of Space Program + No Computers, but that might have just been a theory someone had.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:24 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:If I recall correctly, space shuttle mishaps are caused by the peculiar combo of Space Program + No Computers, but that might have just been a theory someone had.
I think it's too common for that. It's probably related to #361 option 1, effect line "the explosive fireball of the disintegrating space shuttle has devastated Cape @@NAME@@".

(Which, now that I think about it, seems unrealistic - the shuttle would probably burn up before hitting the ground, and even if some fragments survive and hit something important, they'll just poke holes in a few houses rather than causing city-scale destruction.)

Steelfeather Rapture 1
Attaché

Founded: Aug 18, 2021
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Steelfeather Rapture 1 » Sun May 01, 2022 10:30 am

This is a cool thread. I hope it's not too old for me to boost it.

Trotterdam wrote:
Merni wrote:I'm rather surprised that "Accident", "War" and "Malnourishment" aren't much higher than they are... I get NS stats are partially satirical, but still 66% more people dying from scurvy than accidents is a bit weird.
Even if you look at my original table, "Malnourishment" is incredibly low and accidents are less than niche things like "Lost in Wilderness" and "Exposure".
Huh, yeah. Particularly since "Accident" is ridiculously vague as a death cause. Realistically, you'd want to separate out at least a few of the more common ones (car accidents) as separate statistics.

In fact there already are a few things that I might consider "accidents" that are treated as separate death causes: Bungee Jumping, Space Shuttle Mishap, perhaps Nuclear Spill and Vat Leakage too... but these are all extremely niche. (Actually, does Work count as an accident? It could be interpreted as either accidents resulting from unsafe workplace environments, or death by exhaustion from overwork.)

Merni wrote:(Also, isn't scurvy generally a consequence of malnourishment?)
Realistically, yes, though it's more a matter of eating the wrong things rather than just not eating enough in general.

In popular culture, though, scurvy is strongly associated with pirates and other sailors, which is why I'm curious about how it's really coded.

I earnestly believe that the "accident" rate represents the rate of "homicides not ruled as homicides". They're murders committed by people who commit "no" crimes, and so the rate of "accidents" can't be modified by manipulating the crime rate. I've been struggling to get my "accident' rate down from a high of about 2.4%, and as of yesterday I had it at 2.1%, but today it's up at 2.2% again.
Please telegram me if you want me to be active in a thread... I'm shy, and the telegrams scare me less than the forum itself.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?