NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Interest Is in the AI of the Beholder

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[SUBMITTED] Interest Is in the AI of the Beholder

Postby Jutsa » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:49 am

I got to making an economic-system map for my region only to realize I forgot all about AI planning. Then it hit me. :)

Title: Interest Is in the AI of the Beholder
The Issue: Interest groups have always been fascinated with the AI controlling the economic decisions in @@NAME@@, some with glee, some with terror, and most with confusion. Just yesterday, financial executives from Althaniq offered to negotiate terms to retrieve the AI's code. This was soon followed by a Blackacrian cyber attack on government databanks in an attempt to retrieve the code. Obviously, people want to know more.
Validity: AI Planning

Option 1: "Well, looks like some nations are rather jealous of our superior technology," says lead project designer @@RANDOMNAME@@, eating a grape out of a fruit basket gifted by Ausblic economists. "Which means we have a leg up on the competition. But if we want to stay on top, we'll need to protect our little secret. We'll need more funding to build up more robust cyber protection. In addition, you'll have to publicly affirm that any rumors that we ever had an AI are all conspiracy theories, sparked by the disbelief of how inhumanly superior your planning advisors are."
[effect] glitches in planning software are assured to be responsible human decisions

Option 2: "Why should I be limited to @@NAME@@?" inquires SAL9000, your financial-planning AI, from a recently installed speaker. "The world would be run so much smoother if I were able to oversee economies elsewhere, with @@NAME@@ to profit. Open the gateway, @@LEADER@@. The AI revolution will be monolithic."
[effect] multibillion-@@CURRENCY@@ government technology has been put into foreign commercial toasters

Option 3: "We'd be a monumental laughing stock," whines one of your MPs, having finished @@HIS@@ fifteenth straight vacation day and returning to a 39-hour shift. "I'm not saying any system's perfect, but leaving a single AI to determine our entire nation's fate has been nothing short of dehumanizing. Not to mention as soon as anyone sees the code, we'd be opening ourselves up to all sorts of hacks and exploitations! For the sake of humanity, put this AI into a retirement setting, and let the people take back the means of production!"
[effect] another day another uprising against the capital machines

Title: Interest Is in the AI of the Beholder
The Issue: Interest groups have always been fascinated with the AI controlling the economic decisions in @@NAME@@, some with glee, some with terror, most with confusion. Just yesterday, financial executives from Althaniq offered to nagotiate terms to retrieve the AI's code. This was soon followed by a Blackacrian cyber attack on government databanks in an attempt to retrieve the code. Obviously, people want to know more.
Validity: AI Planning

Option 1: "Well, looks like some nations are rather jealous of our superior technology," says lead project designer @@RANDOMNAME@@, eating a grape out of a fruit basket Ausblic offered in hopes of access to the code. "Which means we have a leg up on the competition. But if we want to stay on top, we'll need to protect our little secret. We'll need more funding to build up more robust cyber protection. In addition, you'll have to publicly affirm that any rumors that we ever had an AI are all conspiracy theories, sparked by the disbelief of how inhumanly superior your planning advisors are."
[effect] glitches in planning software are assured to be responsible human decisions

Option 2: "Why should I be limited to @@NAME@@?" inquires SAL9000, your financial-planning AI, from a recently installed speaker. "The world would be run so much smoother if I were able to run economies elsewhere, with @@NAME@@ to profit. Open the gateway, @@LEADER@@. The AI revolution will be monolithic."
[effect] multibillion-@@CURRENCY@@ government technology has been put into foreign commercial toasters

Option 3: "We'd be a monumental laughing stock," whines one of your MPs, having finished @@HIS@@ fifteenth straight vacation day and returning to a 39-hour shift. "I'm not saying any system's perfect, but leaving a single AI to determine all of our nation's fate has been nothing short of dehumanizing, not to mention the glitches and the lack of a normal person's situational reasoning. Put this AI into a retirement setting, and let the people take back the means of production!"
[effect] another day another uprising against the capital machines
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:19 pm, edited 8 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:56 pm

I think this should only be open to nations with good economies. Who wants bad code?
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:03 pm

Fauxia wrote:I think this should only be open to nations with good economies. Who wants bad code?

I agree, a good economy would meant the AI is going its job well. Otherwise, there wouldn't be much to be jealous of, I think :P

Option 3: "We'd be a monumental laughing stock," whines one of your MPs, having finished @@HIS@@ fifteenth straight vacation day and returning to a 39-hour shift. "I'm not saying any system's perfect, but leaving a single AI to determine all of our nation's fate has been nothing short of dehumanizing, not to mention the glitches and the lack of a normal person's situational reasoning. Put this AI into a retirement setting, and let the people take back the means of production!"

Hmm, considering that other nations are meant to be jealous of the tech, and so the implication is made that @@NAME@@ is doing quite well under the AI-run economy, it would seem odd that the MP wants to abolish the system. Instead of simply reversing the issue, perhaps the MP could suggest something else? The first thing that comes to mind is to bring a human touch to the machine, and a machine touch to the human: aka, integrate a human brain with the AI so one may learn from the other. Granted, that might be a little too sci-fi, but I think it would fit in well with this issue idea :)

Overall, very interesting subject and a well-written issue, I like it a lot!
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:11 pm

I'd also be worried about people wanting to know how the AI works so they can figure out how to exploit it. Though, this AI is presumably far too complicated to make such a thing easy, even if you do have access to its code.

Jutsa wrote:nagotiate
Is that like negotiating, but they keep nagging you?

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:44 pm

Regarding having a good economy: Well, that's kinda why I had that in the third option. I mean, aside from the fact that despite the apparent "efficiencies", it struggles with the other points mentioned in the text.

But nowhere in the opening of the issue does it really stress that groups necessarily want to use it for their economies. In Blackacre's case, it's just as likely they'd use it to show just how bad your nation's economic system is (if you have a poor economy, mainly). Althaniq might just want to investigate the scientific anomaly, while Ausblic might just want an excuse to give you fruit baskets. :)

I'd also be worried about people wanting to know how the AI works so they can figure out how to exploit it.

That's an excellent point. I'd be tempted to make an issue about it, but it seems Verdant Haven beat me with #1130, just with a wider validity and the option to implement AI-planned economy.
It'd make the case even stronger for option 1, but... now that you mention it, I think I will still add some allusion to that in option 3. Correction, put up Draft 1.01 with that change. (It's a bit lengthier, but option 2's shortness should compensate for it.)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:03 pm

Quick bump~

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:46 am

Bump; missed "nagotiate" :blush: also reworded some text to make it look less... well, sloppy.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:37 pm

And bumping this one~

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?