NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Fore!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

[DRAFT] Fore!

Postby Sacara » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:38 pm

[Name] Fore!
[Desc] While golfing with your brother and your Minister of Well Thought Out Solutions, your brother hits a rather wayward shot and shatters an expensive-looking window on a nearby house.
[validity] allows sports

[option] Out of the house strolls an old man, carrying a pencil and a pad of paper, on his way to speak with your brother. "Oh jeez, what do we have here? It looks like you caused a lot of damage; you must have hit the ball hard! Let me just get some of your information, and I'm sure we can work out the payment details. It would only be fair for you to cover the cost of repair since you did this, I reckon." He pulls the scratched golf ball out of his pocket and examines it. "Yeah, I'll just have to keep this as a souvenir."
[effect] bad golfers keep their wallets full of IOUs

[option] "You can go ahead and kiss my putt!" retorts your brother, having to be restrained by the minister. "Do you seriously think I was trying to hit your house? Seriously, my ball didn't even land anywhere close to where I was trying to go! I'm sorry I suck at golf, but I didn't force you to live here. You should've known the risks before you decided to move somewhere that's a landing spot for golf balls. I'm sorry it has to be like this, but you're going to have to pay for that window yourself, geezer."
[effect] living next to a golf course is a life-long financial commitment

[option] Your minister quickly pulls you aside and speaks in a hushed voice: "Hey, I don't think this guy recognizes us. We should just tell him we are high-ranking members of the opposition party and will be more than willing to cover the cost of the damages. Even if he later realizes we lied about who we are, he won't be able to prove it. It would be the word of @@LEADER@@ against some old grandpa who can't remember his name." Your minister turns to the old man. "Here's the number you can reach us at..."
[effect] @@LEADER@@ has the hottest pants in @@REGION@@

[Name] Fore!
[Desc] While golfing with your Minister of Well Thought Out Solutions and your brother, it appears your brother has hit a rather wayward shot and shattered a large window on an expensive-looking house next to the golf course.
[validity] allows sports

[option] Out of the house strolls an old man, carrying a pencil and a pad of paper, on his way to speak with your brother. "Oh jeez, what do we have here? It looks like you caused a lot of damage; you must have hit the ball hard! Let me just get some of your information, and I'm sure we can work out the payment details. It would only be fair for you to cover the cost of repair, I reckon." He pulls the scratched golf ball out of his pocket and examines it. "Yeah, I'll just have to keep this as a souvenir."

[option] "You can go ahead and kiss my putt!" retorts your brother, having to be restrained by the minister. "Do you seriously think I was trying to hit your house? Seriously, my ball didn't even land anywhere close to where I was aiming! I'm sorry I suck at golf, but it's not like I forced you to live here. You really should've known the risks before you decided to move into a landing zone for golf balls. Good luck paying for that window yourself, geezer."

[option] Your minister quickly pulls you aside and in a hushed voice says: "I don't think this guy recognizes who we are. Why don't we give him the name of one of your rivals and all of their information? We will be long gone by the time he realizes anything, if he ever does! Besides, no one would believe the old if he accused us of lying. It would be the word of @@LEADER@@ against some old grandpa who can barely see." Your minister turns to the old man. "Here's the number you can reach us at..."
[Name] Fore!
[Desc] While on a golf outing with your Minister of Well Thought Out Solutions, it appears your brother hit a rather wayward golf shot and shattered the large window of a nearby expensive-looking house.
[validity] allows sports

[option] Out of the house strolls an old man, with a pencil and pad of paper in his hand, walking towards your brother. "Oh jeez, what do we have here? It looks like you caused a lot of damage to my house; you must have hit that ball hard! Let me just get some of your information, and I'm sure we can work this out. It would only be fair for you to cover the cost of repair, I reckon." He pulls the golf ball out of his pocket and then examines it. "Yeah, I will go ahead and keep this little guy as a souvenir, too."

[option] "You can go ahead and kiss my putt!" retorts your brother, currently restrained by your minister. "I'm not going to give you anything! Do you seriously think I was trying to hit your house? Seriously, my ball didn't even land anywhere close to the hole! I'm sorry I suck at golf, but I didn't force you to live next to a golf course. You really should've known the risks before you decided to move to a house in a golf ball landing zone. Good luck paying for that window repair yourself, geezer."

[option] Your minister quickly pulls you aside and in a hushed voice says: "I don't think this guy recognizes any of us. What if we tell him that we are actually one of your rivals and give him their information? We will be long by the time he realizes anything, if he ever does! And besides, who in their right mind would believe him over us if he tries saying we lied? It's the word of some old grandpa who can barely see or @@LEADER@@?" He then turns back to the old man. "Here is the number you can reach us at..."
[Name] Fore!
[Desc] While on a golf outing with the Prime Minister of Prudenland, it appears your Secretary of State has hit a rather wayward golf shot and shattered a large window of a nearby expensive-looking house.

[option] Out of the house strolls an old man, with a pencil and pad of paper in his hand. "Oh jeez, what do we have here? It looks to me like you caused a lot of damage, you must have hit that ball hard. Oh well. It's only fair for you to cover the cost of repair, I reckon. It wasn't me that caused this mess. " He pulls the golf ball out of his pocket and then examines it. "Yeah, I will go ahead and keep this little guy as a souvenir, too."
[effect] being a bad golfer is an expensive hobby

[option] "You can go ahead and kiss my putt," says your Secretary, having to be restrained by the Prime Minister from attacking the old man. "Do you really think I was trying to hit your house? The hole is all the way over there! I didn't force you to live on a golf course; that was your choice, not mine! Accidents happen, with not even the best in the game knowing where they will hit it next. You'll just have to pay for it yourself, old man."
[effect] country clubs are surrounded by luxurious mansions with boarded-up windows

[option] The Prime Minister finally lets go of your Secretary after @@HE_1@@ has calmed down. "In my country, we make the golf course responsible for the damages caused by their golfers." @@HE_2@@ then steps up and hits a beautiful shot. "Because of that, most places only allow good golfers to come and play. Why should the dirty hacks be allowed to ruin the courses, anyway? That's our secret to having some of the best golfers in @@REGION@@."
[effect] wives are surprised to see their husbands around the house more often[/quote]
Last edited by Sacara on Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:01 am

Fore!
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:08 am

I love the issue! Really, there's nothing that I can think of that could use improvement or be changed. Great job on this one!
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Ko-oren
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ko-oren » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:40 am

Well done! There's a few things I'm not 100% clear on, on the first read:

Option 1: " with a pencil and pad of paper in his hand." What are the pencil and paper for?

Option 2: " having to be restrained by the Prime Minister from attacking the old man" Would someone make it to Secretary of State with this kind of temper? I love the "putt" line, but maybe (almost) attacking the man would be a bit too much.

The logistics of option 3 (but maybe I'm taking it too far): how does anyone get started as a golfer in Prudenland?

Also, what about insurance?
WCC and WCOH President and NS Sports' only WC, WBC, WB, WCOH, IBC, RUWC, Test Cricket, ODI, and T20 loser!

Trigramme: KOR - Demonym: Ko-orenite - Population: 27.270.096
Map - Regions - Spreadsheets - Domestic Sports Newswires - Factbooks
Champions 1x World Cup - 1x CoH - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 4x World Bowl - 1x IBC - 4x RUWC - 3x RLWC - 2x T20 WC - 1x AODICC - 2x ARWC - 1x FHWC - 1x HWC - 1x Beach Cup
Runners-up 1x World Cup - 3x CAFA - 1x AOCAF - 1x WBC - 3x World Bowl - 1x WCoH - 4x IBC - 2x RUWC - 1x GCF Test Cricket - 1x ODI WT - 2x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x WLC - 1x FHWC
Organisation & Hosting 2x WCC President - 1x WCOH President / 1x BoF - 1x CAFA - 1x World Bowl - 1x WCOH - 2x RUWC - 1x ODI WT - 1x T20 WC - 1x FraterniT20 - 1x ARWC - 1x FHWC - (defunct) IRLCC, BCCC, Champions Bowl

Homyland
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 25, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Homyland » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:45 am

I loved the draft, but I think you should reword the first option.

The effect suggests the Secretary paid it, the option that the Leader paid it.
So I think you should either reword option 1 or write an option where the Secretary pays it from his own, personal pocket.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:16 am

Ko-oren wrote:Well done! There's a few things I'm not 100% clear on, on the first read:

Option 1: " with a pencil and pad of paper in his hand." What are the pencil and paper for?

Exchanging contact info so they can arrange payment?

Option 2: " having to be restrained by the Prime Minister from attacking the old man" Would someone make it to Secretary of State with this kind of temper? I love the "putt" line, but maybe (almost) attacking the man would be a bit too much.

I thought the same thing about the Secretary needing to be restrained.

The logistics of option 3 (but maybe I'm taking it too far): how does anyone get started as a golfer in Prudenland?

Practice space with nets to catch the balls? There was such a place on the side of a highway that I used to ride past all the time when I was a kid.

Fun draft, though.
Last edited by USS Monitor on Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:56 am

USS Monitor wrote:

I thought the same thing about the Secretary needing to be restrained.
I can think of a few RL politicians for whom it might fit: The late John Prescott, who publicly punched a protester, for example... and that's even without considering the undemocratic sorts of regimes where they routinely might feel "above the law" because of their positions...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:14 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:I love the issue! Really, there's nothing that I can think of that could use improvement or be changed. Great job on this one!
Jutsa wrote:Fore!
Thanks guys!

Ko-oren wrote:Well done! There's a few things I'm not 100% clear on, on the first read:

I hate to say this, but this is based on a true story. :blink: I was out golfing last summer, and I pulled a shot right into a window of a house on the course. It was in the afternoon, and of course, a retired old guy comes out of the house, holding a pencil and pad of paper. I go up and speak to him, and he demands I pay for the damages. He asks for my information, and I only give him my name and number. I then left, telling him it was his choice to live on a golf course. If he would've handled the situation a little better, I would've probably agreed to pay for it. I did some research on relevant case law, to which there is virtually none because most of these matters go to small claims court, and the only one I found said that the homeowner had to pay for the damages. The old guy's insurance sent me a couple letters demanding I pay for it, and I had a lawyer buddy of mine draft up a letter telling him to either sue us or stop harassing me. Needless to say, he didn't send me anything else.

Ko-oren wrote:Option 2: " having to be restrained by the Prime Minister from attacking the old man" Would someone make it to Secretary of State with this kind of temper? I love the "putt" line, but maybe (almost) attacking the man would be a bit too much.

Also, what about insurance?
For option two, I thought about that after I wrote it. I will change it to something else to better fit the character. Also, I thought about insurance as an option but decided against it.

Homyland wrote:I loved the draft, but I think you should reword the first option.

The effect suggests the Secretary paid it, the option that the Leader paid it.
So I think you should either reword option 1 or write an option where the Secretary pays it from his own, personal pocket.
Thanks! Option one is meant to make the person who hit the shot pay for the damages. I can update the wording to make it more clear.

USS Monitor wrote:Fun draft, though.
Thanks!

I will post an updated draft tomorrow taking in all of the feedback so far. Please continue letting me know your thoughts on the draft!
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:33 pm

Maybe you could have an option that says the golf course is liable? Not essential or anything, just an idea rattling around my brain.
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:36 pm

USS Monitor wrote:Maybe you could have an option that says the golf course is liable? Not essential or anything, just an idea rattling around my brain.
I meant for option three to be that option. I suppose I forgot to outright say that, as I have the Prime Minister note that it is the golf course's responsibility in their country. I will update that in the next draft as well.
Commended by SC #382

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:43 pm

Wait, people build houses on golf courses? How does that work?

I would think this kind of thing happens when there's a house next to the golf course and there isn't a tall ball-blocking fence between the two properties, not when the house is actually considered part of the golf course.
Last edited by Trotterdam on Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:01 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Wait, people build houses on gold courses?
I believe you are referencing option two. "Living on a golf course" is a common phrase that means a person is on a property adjacent to a golf course. I believe common sense would tell the reader the house isn't inside the golf course property, but I can change the wording from on to next anyways.

I would love to live on a gold course, though. :p
Last edited by Sacara on Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commended by SC #382

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:14 pm

Sacara wrote:I suppose I forgot to outright say that

Or I was spacing out. My bad.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:47 am

Isn't that what insurance is for?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:57 pm

I'm an avid golfer(just shot 75 8) ) and I've lived in a house where the golf course was my backyard, so hopefully I can provide some useful insights here.
Trotterdam wrote:Wait, people build houses on golf courses? How does that work?

I would think this kind of thing happens when there's a house next to the golf course and there isn't a tall ball-blocking fence between the two properties, not when the house is actually considered part of the golf course.

It's more common to have houses bordering a hole than not, in my experience. Golf courses tend to increase property value. Some people do put up nets or higher fences, but they are unsightly, expensive, and honestly not super effective. If someone pops a ball up to the right into a house, it probably came in pretty high.

When I lived on a golf course, my house was hit pretty frequently by golf balls. While we never had a broken window, we could expect at least a dozen golf balls a week. Over time, the major damage was actually to the roof tiles. Obviously, we couldn't blame the dozens of golfers responsible for the damage over 2-ish years, so we had to fix that out-of-pocket.

We had an agreement with the golf course that they would maintain the fences and we were not allowed to replace the fence. However, they did not cover any damages. A few of my peers have broken windows in the past and paid to repair them, so I guess it just depends on how persistent the owner is or how honest the golfer is.

It's funny that you used the "kiss my putt" expression as I used it in my own golf-related draft.

Some suggestions I have:

The sentences don't really flow that well with each other. Each character speaks in short, choppy sentences. They just move from point to point without any variety.

I don't see how option 3 is enforceable unless it's a member's only country club and they actively monitor your handicap. Even then, good players still hit bad shots.

A better option could be one where someone suggests that the secretary just gives the wrong information or something. I've seen that happen before, though I don't know if that's really a great option for a nation to choose. There is a certain level of irony that could come from that since it's pretty obvious who Leader is and how Leader can be reached.

The second effect line feels somewhat boring, and also unrealistic. People want to live on the golf course and tend to be willing to accept the risk for the views/accessibility.

Possible change of scenario: Hitting a ball onto a nearby road causes a multi-vehicle accident, who is at fault?
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
Orcuo wrote:The plan was foolproof! Unfortunately, I didn’t make it Noah-proof.
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - 7x Issues Author, 7x SC Author, Editor, Ex-Minister of Cards of the North Pacific

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:43 pm

Noahs Second Country wrote:I'm an avid golfer (just shot 75 8))
No need to flex on the rest of us amateurs. :p

The sentences don't really flow that well with each other. Each character speaks in short, choppy sentences. They just move from point to point without any variety.
Hmm. I will go through the draft later and see if I can make it flow a little better.

I don't see how option 3 is enforceable unless it's a member's only country club and they actively monitor your handicap. Even then, good players still hit bad shots.

A better option could be one where someone suggests that the secretary just gives the wrong information or something. I've seen that happen before, though I don't know if that's really a great option for a nation to choose. There is a certain level of irony that could come from that since it's pretty obvious who Leader is and how Leader can be reached.
I knew option three was the weak link when it came to this draft. I was trying to make the options have national implications. While your suggestion is funny, I was thinking more of the overall premise affecting all golfers across @@NAME@@. Perhaps a different option three mandates all houses on a golf course should have insurance?

The second effect line feels somewhat boring, and also unrealistic. People want to live on the golf course and tend to be willing to accept the risk for the views/accessibility.
I'll work on a new effect line. Although most effect lines aren't known for their realism, I do agree this one can be spiced up.

Possible change of scenario: Hitting a ball onto a nearby road causes a multi-vehicle accident, who is at fault?
I like the current premise. However, question for all, should I change it from the Secretary hitting the ball to @@LEADER@@?

Thanks for the feedback. I'll update the draft soon. :)
Commended by SC #382

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:24 pm

Hey Sacara! Pretty good stuff here, but there are a few things that could be managed better.

Sacara wrote:While on a golf outing with the Prime Minister of Prudenland, it appears your Secretary of State has hit a rather wayward golf shot and shattered a large window of a nearby expensive-looking house.

Not a fan of this construction here. I feel like either this should be past tense, or it should be described a bit more vividly.

I think what bugs me is the perfect tense (I think that's what's going on, it's been a while since I studied grammar). I guess it's a personal preference, but my preferences are always right :P

Uh... moving on.

Sacara wrote:[effect] being a bad golfer is an expensive hobby

This works, but again, construction. "Being" is not much of an activity. "Golfing poorly is an expensive hobby" works better.

Sacara wrote:"You can go ahead and kiss my putt,"

Love it.

Sacara wrote:says your Secretary, having to be restrained by the Prime Minister from attacking the old man.

And... construction again. It just doesn't read well to me, a combination of the use of passive voice and the operating use of having. I think "being restrained" would work just as well. We understand he's angry.
Sacara wrote:"Do you really think I was trying to hit your house? The hole is all the way over there! I didn't force you to live on a golf course; that was your choice, not mine! Accidents happen, with not even the best in the game knowing where they will hit it next.

However quirky the secretary is, I don't think that's really how people usually talk. I don't think we need the "with" here. "Accidents happen - heck, even the very best in the game can't know where it's gonna land every time". (Or, "once the ball's up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my department.") But maybe people don't even get that joke anymore.

I also wonder whether it would be better to have this option first and have the secretary trying to run away and get away with it. But that's a random idea and not even a preference on my part, I think it works as is.

Sacara wrote:[option] The Prime Minister finally lets go of your Secretary after @@HE_1@@ has calmed down.

Don't think we need the end here. It could allow for a comedic effect at the end as well, although it doesn't have to.

Sacara wrote:"In my country, we make the golf course responsible for the damages caused by their golfers." @@HE_2@@ then steps up and hits a beautiful shot.

I realize I'm nitpicking, but "then" is extraneous here. Regardless, I think this would work better either at the beginning or the end of the option. You could make the beginning: "After letting go of your Secretary, the Prime Minister steps up and makes a beautiful, arcing shot." and combine the sentences. Only a suggestion if you want to minimize the number of pauses, though.
Sacara wrote:[effect] wives are surprised to see their husbands around the house more often

Some countries do ban marriage...
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:41 pm

Went through and did a significant re-write of the draft. I kept (basically) the same premise, and options one and two have the same idea as they did in the 1st draft. I totally re-wrote option three, as well.

I would like to know what everyone thinks of the updated draft. :)
Commended by SC #382

Minskiev
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:47 pm

I'll be honest, I think it reads weirdly. But the premise is fine.
Minskiev/Walrus. Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms, 3x Officer. 15x WA author. Join the RRA here.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:14 am

Love the new option 3... and its resultant Effect line. :D
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Minskiev
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:32 pm

Oh, the option 3 effect line took me a while. Hm. I'm a bit ashamed.
Minskiev/Walrus. Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms, 3x Officer. 15x WA author. Join the RRA here.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:21 pm

Draft three is now up.

I went through and changed the wording throughout the entire issue... hopefully it reads a bit smoother now. Still looking for feedback!
Commended by SC #382

Authoritaria-Imperia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 06, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Authoritaria-Imperia » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:57 am

I love this! A couple things —
I think Fauxia took issue with your choice of tense, and I was thinking the same thing — why not outright present tense for the description? “your brother hits a rather wayward shot and shatters”. That feels much more immersive (and less awkward) to me.

Option 3:
no one would believe the old if he accused
Is this meant to be “the old man if…”?

Finally, option 3 in general confused me as far as “giving [the old man] the name of one of your rivals”. It took me a second to realise what you meant — maybe you could make it clearer, like “tell him you’re that Opposition candidate, @@RANDOMNAME@@” or something…?
Thanks to all the first responders working to fight off this pandemic! Folks, you can make a donation here.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:24 pm

Authoritaria-Imperia wrote:I love this! A couple things —
I think Fauxia took issue with your choice of tense, and I was thinking the same thing — why not outright present tense for the description? “your brother hits a rather wayward shot and shatters”. That feels much more immersive (and less awkward) to me.

Option 3:
no one would believe the old if he accused
Is this meant to be “the old man if…”?

Finally, option 3 in general confused me as far as “giving [the old man] the name of one of your rivals”. It took me a second to realise what you meant — maybe you could make it clearer, like “tell him you’re that Opposition candidate, @@RANDOMNAME@@” or something…?
Thanks for the suggestions! I've incorporated them into my latest draft.

I've updated the description and wording of each of the options.
Commended by SC #382

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:53 am

Real life law in US and UK, I believe is:

Ball hit deliberately -- golfer liable.
House built or purchased before golf course built-- golf course liable.
House built or purchased after golf course -- no-one liable, normally insurance covers it though, whether the home-owner or the golf-course's, around 50-50.

Golf courses (or rather golf clubs, but avoiding the confusing nomenclature here) are normally very keen to pay up, as the goodwill of neighbours and golfers is worth more to them than the occasional broken window cost. Golf clubs are big money concerns, and a few hundred doesn't affect their bottom line to any significant degree, whereas bad press can leave them badly damaged.

I'd note that of course there's arguably a moral and ethical obligation for the golfer to pay, of course, and a lot of people recognise that, and thus a lot of cases don't make court.

Re: the issue, I think -- as was mentioned -- there needs to be an option to make golf courses liable. I also think its worth clarifying this as a case where the house was built at the same time as the golf course, for the legal grayness there.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?