NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Fit to Drive

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

[DRAFT] Fit to Drive

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri May 07, 2021 4:29 pm

Even as I wrote this, it was nagging at me that this was very similar to #1343 Feeling Down, as both are about public interest vs confidentiality.

However, my own feeling was that depressed pilots and epileptic taxi drivers were different enough to feel distinct, and I've trade to make the solutions and arguments distinct from that issue. However, option 1 still remains nigh identical, and I'm open to opinions that the overlap here is excessive. Even if it never makes it, at least I'll get to share my writing here.

TITLE:
Fit to Drive

VALIDITY:
Cars legal. Civil rights at a level where below situation likely to be normal procedure.

DESCRIPTION:
A taxi cab literally ploughed through a field of cabbages last week, mauling swathes of brassica as the vehicle zig-zagged erratically across the land. The driver was having an epileptic seizure, and it has since transpired that his doctor had told him he wasn't fit to drive, but had left it to the driver himself to report this fact to the licensing authorities.

OPTION 1
"Sure, I've just lost some crops, but imagine if this fitting fool had mowed through a crowded street or a school playground. Just mentally picture if this was a human head, rather than a cabbage head!" says farmer Ivor Strawman, waving a mauled white savoy in your face, which has to be said has a striking resemblance to his own unprepossesing facial features. "We can't rely on people's honesty -- doctors should report to the police and to licensing authorities directly when their patients are unfit to drive."
OUTCOME:
medical confidentiality is a confidence trick

OPTION 2
"A requirement for doctors to act as informants could undermine confidentiality and the physician-patient relationship," reads Dr. Gently-Duzzit from prepared notes, who has faced litigation enough times to be very careful with @@HIS@@ words. "Potentially, a patient might be motivated to keep a history of fits from their own doctor, which could in turn lead to undertreatment and greater risk to both the patient's health, and to that of road users. Pause for emphasis. In this circumstance, the doctor's duty to society ends with informing the patient of their obligations. This is..." @@HE@@ squints a little at the piece of paper. "Uh, I can't read my own writing. Something something, squiggle, something. Anyway, that's what I think."
OUTCOME:
what happens in hospital stays in hospital

OPTION 3
"I mean, I'm not sure why I had to give up my work at all," points out the former taxi driver, who is holding a sign that says 'will give controversial opinions for spare change'. "I mean, I gotta earn a living, haven't I? If the liberal elite in government and medicine want to put people out of work by telling them they can't drive, then they should give them a load of money to make up for their lost earnings. I mean, I pay my taxes, figuratively speaking. What about me?"
OUTCOME:
welfare fraud is worth giving a fair shake
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sat May 08, 2021 1:41 am

Did the driver face any kind of punishment for driving when he knew he shouldn't? (Losing his driver's license doesn't count, since that would have likely happened even if he showed a sudden epileptic seizure without having previously known he was vulnerable.)

A particularly authoritarian/red-tape-heavy government could just require all prospective drivers to undergo medical tests proving that they aren't epileptic (umm, if that's a thing you can do?), thus avoiding issues about the results of medical tests undertaken for other reasons being reported to the driving authorities anyway.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sat May 08, 2021 9:25 am

Trotterdam wrote:Did the driver face any kind of punishment for driving when he knew he shouldn't? (Losing his driver's license doesn't count, since that would have likely happened even if he showed a sudden epileptic seizure without having previously known he was vulnerable.)

I kind of took it as given that he would have faced punishment, but I suppose I ought to move the driver to a police cell.

A particularly authoritarian/red-tape-heavy government could just require all prospective drivers to undergo medical tests proving that they aren't epileptic (umm, if that's a thing you can do?), thus avoiding issues about the results of medical tests undertaken for other reasons being reported to the driving authorities anyway.

Naa, afraid not. An EEG can show epileptiform activity near a fit or in frequent fitters, but its essentially a diagnosis made clinically, based on history. Plus, people easily develop epilepsy AFTER they learn to drive. The ones who are epileptic beforehand are going to be known to be epileptic, generally.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Sat May 08, 2021 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

North Sonovia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 30, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby North Sonovia » Sat May 08, 2021 9:30 am

Cool issue.
She/her, 14 but practically 15 already, pan gang, how the hell do I put a pan emoji right after "pan gang"?

I'm the WAD for a region that can be described as this: [quote="Pallapati";43977153] Average cringe region: Writes an essay on why raiding sucks

Based Union of Right Wing nations: "raiding is unbased lololol. ew, raiders. cringe " [/quote]

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sat May 08, 2021 5:04 pm

This doesn't even have to apply to hard-to-diagnose conditions like epilepsy (although that does make a good worst-case for an issue) - often (at least here in Aus), the test for "can you see well enough to drive without glasses" is just "are they currently wearing any", and that's pretty easy to get around provided you're not like, fully blind without them. I could pretty easily have avoided that restriction if I wanted to by just... not wearing my glasses when I went down to the license place.

Maybe that's something to mention - far more common conditions that can still have an effect on one's driving? And what about genetic predispositions? Where do you draw the line at "condition that can affect driving" - if you've got a family risk of say, having a heart attack, maybe you shouldn't be behind the wheel for risk you'll have a heart attack while driving?

Come to think of it, these could even be followup issues where someone complains that this new, more intense medical screening process before driving is going "too far"/"not far enough".
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Tue May 11, 2021 7:58 am

This issue really strikes me as something *I'd* write. I like it.

Is a doctor the best choice of speaker for option 2? Seems like either way there are valid ethics arguments.
Last edited by Candensia on Tue May 11, 2021 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri May 14, 2021 7:55 am

Sure, but in most ethical dilemmas us docs have a natural inclination towards the path that doesn't give us a new job to do, or require us to interact with nonmedical organisations...
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri May 14, 2021 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat May 29, 2021 2:46 am

Option 2's effect doesn't really vibe with me. What happens I hospital stays in hospital? Uh yea, that's how hospitals work. I get the Las Vegas reference, but don't really think it translates well to a hospital
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sun May 30, 2021 3:54 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 2's effect doesn't really vibe with me. What happens I hospital stays in hospital? Uh yea, that's how hospitals work. I get the Las Vegas reference, but don't really think it translates well to a hospital

That's fair. Any alternative suggestions?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun May 30, 2021 3:57 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Option 2's effect doesn't really vibe with me. What happens I hospital stays in hospital? Uh yea, that's how hospitals work. I get the Las Vegas reference, but don't really think it translates well to a hospital

That's fair. Any alternative suggestions?

Doctors can't disclose that their patients bullet wounds came from robbing a bank?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?