NATION

PASSWORD

[Submitted] Sextual Healing

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
User avatar
Chan Island
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5543
Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

[Submitted] Sextual Healing

Postby Chan Island » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:17 pm

Your long-running text message correspondence with a high profile public supporter has taken a drastic sudden turn as they have started to send you flirty, romantic advances. As your phone now triumphantly displays a very *suggestive* picture of them, your mind races and races.

validity: not valid for classroom nations
not valid for nations without mobile phones or internet

[option] Your first thought is straightforward enough. This is sexual harassment, right?! No matter what this person has done for you in the past, this crosses a line that shouldn't be accepted. Your finger hovers over to the screen capture button, and you try to recall who you'll get to punish them. Maybe this could even set a precedent for all the victims of this kind of gross behaviour.
[effect] texting a lover about a hook up is illegal.

[option] But you hesitate. You have to admit, there is an exciting call of the void here. This person is definitely your type, and they did you a huge favour that time they spoke out in favour of one of your less popular policies. Curiosity blossoms. It's been too long since you had a new lover, you reckon, full of intimacy and exploding passion. What are they like in bed? What do they pillow talk about? Damn what the outrage moralists will say, what harm can a few sext messages really do? Is encouraging free love such a bad thing?
[effect] @@LEADER@@ has more affairs than fingers

[option] Yet, you haven't even started to sext back when you reconsider. No, the risk of doing this is too great. What would the family think if it came out? How would the public react? Would the people in your life ever look at you the same again? But what if they pitied you, and thought you were a victim? There'd be more uncomfortable questions than you'd ever want to deal with. Maybe just a simple rebuttal could keep this under wraps, remind them of who they are talking to, and to knock it off. Just like all those other unpopular decisions that could be hidden away. You can just be friends, right?
[effect] a prominent public personality is slandering @@LEADER@@ like a spurned lover

[option] The door flies open without even as much as a tap, and civil servant @@RANDOMNAME@@ barges in holding a mountain of papers. @@HE@@ glances at your phone and frowns: "On the phone again, boss? I know it's not my place, but I've just brought you all of the new laws and petitions you need to deal with, and frankly things'll be much better if you just put the phone away and get to signing, please. There's a lot of work to do. We spend too much time on those things."
[effect] a record number of new laws have been passed without comment
Last edited by Chan Island on Fri May 14, 2021 6:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

User avatar
Daarwyrth
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1205
Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Daarwyrth » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:12 am

Oh my dear, you really went and made it :lol2:

Your long-running text message correspondence with a high profile public supporter has taken a drastic sudden turn as they have started to send you flirty, romantic advances. As your phone now triumphantly displays a very *suggestive* picture of them, your mind races and races.

I know I said in the Discord server that I thought there should also be a national element, but now that I read this, I think it works better as a personal premise, well done!

this crosses a line that cannot be accepted

Perhaps consider changing this to "this crosses a line of decency that shouldn't be accepted", albeit it's fine as it is now as well.

you try to recall who call to punish them

This sounds a little borked. Add a "to" after "who", or consider rephrasing this bit.

and they did do

Perhaps this could be rephrased as well? Not sure, though.

Overall, I really like the tone of the issue, and I think its refreshing to see a highly personal issue for once. There's two concerns I have, the first one being player autonomy. In quite a few places you say things like "you hesitate" or "Your finger hovers over to the screen capture button". I am not sure whether these would be acceptable in terms of player autonomy, or whether they infringe upon it. The second concern I have, is that there is a lack of national policies that could come from it. Only the first option has one, so maybe you could try to think of a creative way to sneak a national policy into every option? In the sense that every option will also have an effect on the nation? Could be that I am wrong in this concern, of course.
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Government type: Unitary parliamentary semi-constitutional monarchy | Technology level: Post-Modern Tech


User avatar
Chan Island
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5543
Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Chan Island » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:31 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:Oh my dear, you really went and made it :lol2:

Your long-running text message correspondence with a high profile public supporter has taken a drastic sudden turn as they have started to send you flirty, romantic advances. As your phone now triumphantly displays a very *suggestive* picture of them, your mind races and races.

I know I said in the Discord server that I thought there should also be a national element, but now that I read this, I think it works better as a personal premise, well done!

this crosses a line that cannot be accepted

Perhaps consider changing this to "this crosses a line of decency that shouldn't be accepted", albeit it's fine as it is now as well.

you try to recall who call to punish them

This sounds a little borked. Add a "to" after "who", or consider rephrasing this bit.

and they did do

Perhaps this could be rephrased as well? Not sure, though.

Overall, I really like the tone of the issue, and I think its refreshing to see a highly personal issue for once. There's two concerns I have, the first one being player autonomy. In quite a few places you say things like "you hesitate" or "Your finger hovers over to the screen capture button". I am not sure whether these would be acceptable in terms of player autonomy, or whether they infringe upon it. The second concern I have, is that there is a lack of national policies that could come from it. Only the first option has one, so maybe you could try to think of a creative way to sneak a national policy into every option? In the sense that every option will also have an effect on the nation? Could be that I am wrong in this concern, of course.


Glad you like it! :p

All suggestions implemented, they are good ideas. Hopefully the national implications are not too ham-fistedly thrown in.

As for player autonomy, I don't think they are super huge violations, just what the person spends less than a second doing on their phone. That is hardly a giant assumption, and can easily be chalked up to the character getting into the moment. Will happily reduce it further though if others object.
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

User avatar
Electrum
Issues Editor
 
Posts: 3299
Founded: Jan 20, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby Electrum » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:35 am

Great stuff.

Daarwyrth wrote:The second concern I have, is that there is a lack of national policies that could come from it. Only the first option has one, so maybe you could try to think of a creative way to sneak a national policy into every option? In the sense that every option will also have an effect on the nation? Could be that I am wrong in this concern, of course.


I think the editors can work out which stats can go with which issue, like in "Who Comes Up With This Ship?"

Option 2 doesn't talk about sexting at all, but it is then introduced in option 3. Could you somehow weave it in option 2?

Option 3 talks about "what will x think" but they will only think that if news of the relationship/affair/whatever comes out. So maybe insert a line about "What would the family think if it came out?".
Just a regular G.I. Joe - list of issue ideas

NationStates Tennis Tour President - rankings and season seven schedule

User avatar
Chan Island
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5543
Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Chan Island » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:46 pm

Electrum wrote:Great stuff.

Daarwyrth wrote:The second concern I have, is that there is a lack of national policies that could come from it. Only the first option has one, so maybe you could try to think of a creative way to sneak a national policy into every option? In the sense that every option will also have an effect on the nation? Could be that I am wrong in this concern, of course.


I think the editors can work out which stats can go with which issue, like in "Who Comes Up With This Ship?"

Option 2 doesn't talk about sexting at all, but it is then introduced in option 3. Could you somehow weave it in option 2?

Option 3 talks about "what will x think" but they will only think that if news of the relationship/affair/whatever comes out. So maybe insert a line about "What would the family think if it came out?".


All great suggestions, edited to comply.

Anything else?
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 22371
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:46 pm

I appreciate the attempt to present a narrative in a new way, but there's too much here telling me how I am thinking and feeling. Those things are up to the player to decide -- what the player thinks and feels is what LEADER thinks and feels.

Instead, try to frame the information in terms of what you see or hear. Or just have a load of people peering over your shoulder and offering opinions.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

User avatar
Daarwyrth
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1205
Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Daarwyrth » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:03 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Or just have a load of people peering over your shoulder and offering opinions.

Ooh, I really like this approach. It could be really funny to have all kinds of people commenting on the situation, so the red thread of the issue would essentially be @@LEADER@@ having zero privacy.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Government type: Unitary parliamentary semi-constitutional monarchy | Technology level: Post-Modern Tech


User avatar
Chan Island
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5543
Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Chan Island » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:45 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I appreciate the attempt to present a narrative in a new way, but there's too much here telling me how I am thinking and feeling. Those things are up to the player to decide -- what the player thinks and feels is what LEADER thinks and feels.

Instead, try to frame the information in terms of what you see or hear. Or just have a load of people peering over your shoulder and offering opinions.


Daarwyrth wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Or just have a load of people peering over your shoulder and offering opinions.

Ooh, I really like this approach. It could be really funny to have all kinds of people commenting on the situation, so the red thread of the issue would essentially be @@LEADER@@ having zero privacy.


While I must admit I am fond of the idea, at the moment I am unwilling to change it. I don't think this is a huge violation- the entire thing is just the thoughts that spam in the leader's head in a couple of seconds, while on their phone. People have random thoughts all the time, especially in the wake of something as inherently "special", as getting unpredicted sexts. Followed immediately after by a rude speaker who barges in on their privacy already.

It's the only real attempt at a more psychological story-telling issue I know of, and the issue + situation is about as good as it gets for such a thing. And that's something worth doing, just for the inherent interest that generates. Virtually every single other issue in the game already has people coming up the leader and offering their opinions.
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

User avatar
Trotterdam
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9236
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:09 pm

Chan Island wrote:It's the only real attempt at a more psychological story-telling issue I know of,
There's #568 option 4, and #1422.

I also remember seeing something in the forum, but I'm not sure if it was the original draft for #1422 or some other issue that didn't make it.

User avatar
Chan Island
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5543
Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Chan Island » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:54 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Chan Island wrote:It's the only real attempt at a more psychological story-telling issue I know of,
There's #568 option 4, and #1422.

I also remember seeing something in the forum, but I'm not sure if it was the original draft for #1422 or some other issue that didn't make it.


One option at the end of an issue doesn't really count in my books. It's just a "oh yeah, there's a thing here" instead of an issue that is primarily focused on you formulating a response in the moment.

As for the failed draft, yes, I am familiar with one. Because I wrote it.
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21898
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:14 pm

Option 3- wait, you haven't told them to stop? How do you plan to implement option 1 if you hadn't even asked them to stop?
If you're against political parties who support the CCP, then vote against the Australian Labor Party
New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Aardern is so deeply in love with human rights and Muslim lives that she's actively going out of her way to refuse to acknowledge China's persecution of Uyghurs. It's impossible to love human rights & Muslim lives more than that!
Until if and when the Spanish language evolves to allow for gender-neutrality to not be impossible, (which will take at least centuries), the concept of "LatinX" is completely ridiculous
From Greek Ansestry Orthodox Christian
18 Published Issues and 1 WA Resolution List of NPC Nations
In-Character posts made by this fictious account do not reflect the actions of any real world government

User avatar
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor
 
Posts: 22371
Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:05 pm

Chan Island wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I appreciate the attempt to present a narrative in a new way, but there's too much here telling me how I am thinking and feeling. Those things are up to the player to decide -- what the player thinks and feels is what LEADER thinks and feels.

Instead, try to frame the information in terms of what you see or hear. Or just have a load of people peering over your shoulder and offering opinions.


Daarwyrth wrote:Ooh, I really like this approach. It could be really funny to have all kinds of people commenting on the situation, so the red thread of the issue would essentially be @@LEADER@@ having zero privacy.


While I must admit I am fond of the idea, at the moment I am unwilling to change it. I don't think this is a huge violation- the entire thing is just the thoughts that spam in the leader's head in a couple of seconds, while on their phone. People have random thoughts all the time, especially in the wake of something as inherently "special", as getting unpredicted sexts. Followed immediately after by a rude speaker who barges in on their privacy already.

It's the only real attempt at a more psychological story-telling issue I know of, and the issue + situation is about as good as it gets for such a thing. And that's something worth doing, just for the inherent interest that generates. Virtually every single other issue in the game already has people coming up the leader and offering their opinions.


Fair enough. Writing from the perspective of Leader's thoughts makes for a fun exercise, even if it won't get published. Carry on!
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

User avatar
Laka Strolistandiler
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 409
Founded: Jul 14, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Laka Strolistandiler » Tue May 04, 2021 12:29 am

Maybe you should add an option for nations with outlawed adultery...
Sub Administrator of Affairs Departament for the World Assembly, The Educated Obraztsova Elena-Himiko
Political views:
Authoritarian Center-left, a little bit too left to be a nazbol
Religius Views:
planning to baptize as an orthodox Christian


Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Advertisement

Remove ads