NATION

PASSWORD

[ACCEPTED] @@LEADER@@ and the Lost Chamber of Vetoes

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

[ACCEPTED] @@LEADER@@ and the Lost Chamber of Vetoes

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:44 pm

The title definitely needs work, but I can't come up with something clever or witty at the moment. Suggestions are absolutely welcome! The same goes for commentary and feedback on the issue draft :)

CURRENT DRAFT:
[Title] @@LEADER@@ and the Lost Chamber of Vetoes

[Validity] Has Unicameralism, doesn't have Autocracy

[Description] Since @@NAME@@ declared that bicameralism isn't the nation's preferred legislative orientation, the hall housing the legislature's upper house has stood forlornly at the centre of the parliamentary building in @@CAPITAL@@, collecting dust, attracting vermin, and sheltering angsty aides seeking to evade their boss' supervision. Considering the importance that the chamber had once held, the general consensus is that it should receive a new purpose.

[Option 1] "A museum is the most logical choice," notes one of your advisors @@RANDOMNAME@@ standing before the door to the hall, while slurping a little too loudly on a Frappuccino. "It could become a place where we'd celebrate and share our nation's history of parliamentarism. Early drafts of our constitution on display, the first laws that were passed up for public viewing... And if it'll sweeten the deal, we can probably fit a statue of you somewhere inside!"

[Effect 1] snoozing old fossils are the parliamentary museum's most popular exhibition

[Option 2] "A museum is for old farts that can't get over themselves, and dwell in the bog of history, darling!" tuts passing parliamentarian @@RANDOMNAME@@, who has an evident taste for the finer things in life. "It's time we introduced some haute cuisine into this tasteless den of stale sandwiches and withered salads! Imagine fountains spraying kaviar, langoustines waiting to pop out of their shells into our salivating mouths, delectable truffles sprinkled on top of the finest dishes... Goodness me, it'll be splendid!

[Effect 2] the parliament doubled in size recently

[Option 3] "Uh, hey, uhm... c-could we think about the l-little folk for once?" stammers an overworked aide, seemingly having taken shelter in a silent corner of the hall. "W-we really could use a moment of mindfulness at times. S-some quiet and silence. M-maybe we could put a zen garden in here? You know, f-for us to meditate in, and de-stress? That would be nice..."

[Effect 3] staff members take their boss' verbal abuse a lot more calmly lately

[Option 4] "I'll tell you what to do with this chamber!" shouts former chair of the upper house @@RANDOMNAME@@, camping out inside the hall. "Thanks to you I ran out of a job, you knucklehead. I hope you've had a good laugh about it, 'cause the joke has ran its course. Restore the upper house immediately and let me and the others have our jobs back," @@HE@@ says as more former upper house parliamentarians emerge from inside the chamber, gathering around @@HIM@@. "Or else..."

[Effect 4] the legislature turned out to be bi after all

DRAFT 1:
[Title] Can I Have This House, Please?

[Validity] Has Unicameralism, doesn't have Autocracy

[Description] Since @@NAME@@ declared that bicameralism isn't the nation's preferred legislative orientation, the building housing the legislature's upper house has stood forlornly at the heart of @@CAPITAL@@, collecting dust, attracting vermin, and sheltering angsty teens seeking to evade parental supervision. Considering the importance that the structure had once held, the general consensus is that it should receive a new purpose.

[Option 1] "A museum is the most logical choice," notes your aide @@RANDOMNAME@@ standing in front of the facade of the building, while slurping a little too loudly on a Frappuccino. "We could turn it into a Palace of Democracy, where we'll celebrate our nation's history of parliamentarism! Early drafts of our constitution on display, the first laws that were passed up for public viewing... And if it'll sweeten the deal, we can probably fit a statue of you somewhere inside."

[Effect 1] snoozing old fossils are the parliamentary museum's most popular exhibition

[Option 2] "Oh, no, no, no, a museum is for old farts that can't get over themselves, and dwell in the bog of history, darling!" tuts real estate developer @@RANDOMNAME@@. "We need to seize the opportunity and transform this old, ugly thing into a gilded centre of hospitality! Can you imagine it? A luxury hotel for the elites from @@NAME@@, and beyond... Wealthy Sheiks, world-famous kelvinball players, and oh! The Fartashians! Goodness me, it'll be just splendid!"

[Effect 2] once again the elites organise parties in the halls of the upper house

[Option 3] "Don't we deserve a reward for all of our hard work?" asks your Minister of Finance, standing beside the Minister of Defense. "You make all these decisions, @@LEADER@@, but we're the ones implementing them," upon which the Defense Minister nods emphatically. "That's right! The cabinet deserves a building of its own, not the shabby halls and offices that we have to trudge in now, day in, day out. We call dibs on this one, my friend."

[Effect 3] there's no trias politica in @@NAME@@ when it comes to office spaces

[Option 4] "I'll tell you what to do with this building!" shouts former chair of the upper house @@RANDOMNAME@@, seemingly having slept in a tent on the building's premises. "Thanks to you I ran out of a job, you knucklehead. I hope you've had a good laugh about it, 'cause the joke has ran its course. Restore the upper house immediately and let me and the others have our jobs back," @@HE@@ says as more former upper house parliamentarians emerge from the building, gathering around @@HIM@@. "Or else..."

[Effect 4] the legislature turned out to be bi after all
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:21 am, edited 12 times in total.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:43 pm

Why would the upper and lower houses sit in different buildings?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:26 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Why would the upper and lower houses sit in different buildings?

I thought it made sense that the two could be housed in two separate buildings. I guess I wanted it to make a little bit too much sense for the sake of the narrative, but it doesn't, of course.
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:48 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Why would the upper and lower houses sit in different buildings?

Alright, a new draft is up that mended the earlier mistake :) the premise is now about the hall inside the parliamentary building which stands empty, which should make a lot more sense than the building trope :P

Thanks for catching it, Australian!

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:01 am

Daarwyrth wrote:

Alright, a new draft is up that mended the earlier mistake :) the premise is now about the hall inside the parliamentary building which stands empty, which should make a lot more sense than the building trope :P

Much better and you're welcome!
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:24 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
Daarwyrth wrote:Alright, a new draft is up that mended the earlier mistake :) the premise is now about the hall inside the parliamentary building which stands empty, which should make a lot more sense than the building trope :P

Much better and you're welcome!

Glad to hear it!

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Electrum
Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 20, 2013

Postby Electrum » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:54 am

Very clever premise. Surely you could do a better title like "@@LEADER@@ and the Chamber of xx"
NationStates Tennis Tour President - NSTT rankings and season nine schedule

Issues Editor - List of issue ideas - Got Issues discord

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:08 am

Electrum wrote:Very clever premise. Surely you could do a better title like "@@LEADER@@ and the Chamber of xx"

Thanks!

I agree about the title. I've changed it to "@@LEADER@@ and the Lost Chamber of Vetoes".
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:28 pm

Ha! Restoring the upper house is the crazy option, of course! A very clever solution.

Still seems to me like there ought to be some rational advantage to an upper house, but we've never been able to pin down what that is.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:09 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Ha! Restoring the upper house is the crazy option, of course! A very clever solution.

Happy to hear that you approve!

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Still seems to me like there ought to be some rational advantage to an upper house, but we've never been able to pin down what that is.

I agree with the assessment, but as someone has pointed out before (I think it was in the Discord) unicameralism and bicameralism (or even tricameralism) tend to be settled upon when a constitution is written or established. I think that's why it's so difficult to pin that down as the focus of the issue, not one of the options, or the crazy option :)

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:41 am

This is a very interesting premise!

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu May 06, 2021 12:56 am

Any thoughts or comments on what could be improved on this issue draft? :)
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Thu May 06, 2021 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Thu May 20, 2021 8:13 pm

Moving this one to last call, and looking at submission somewhere next week. As such, any final comments and feedback would be fantastic!

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Fri May 21, 2021 7:46 am

Looks good to me! Nice job, Daarwyrth :)
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Fri May 21, 2021 10:34 am

Fauxia wrote:Looks good to me! Nice job, Daarwyrth :)

Thank you! :)

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun May 23, 2021 10:40 am

Oh yeah, same here; nothing to add. Except this:

Please let this be added to the game.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Sun May 23, 2021 11:01 am

Jutsa wrote:Oh yeah, same here; nothing to add. Except this:

Please let this be added to the game.

Last edited by Daarwyrth on Sun May 23, 2021 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Mon May 24, 2021 9:29 pm

Great issue. :)

I've seen a lot of drafts come and go in this forum attempting to repeal unicameralism, but this easily takes the cake for the best one. I love this premise and the options are well-written. Best of luck to you.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Daarwyrth
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Tue May 25, 2021 7:08 am

Sacara wrote:Great issue. :)

I've seen a lot of drafts come and go in this forum attempting to repeal unicameralism, but this easily takes the cake for the best one. I love this premise and the options are well-written. Best of luck to you.

Thank you so much for the lovely comments! :D

EDIT: I have submitted the issue a few moments ago. Thank you for all the feedback and commentary on this draft, they have been invaluable!
Last edited by Daarwyrth on Tue May 25, 2021 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat May 29, 2021 4:07 am

Good Luck

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?