NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Trouble in the Rez

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Kunimu
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 25, 2021
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Trouble in the Rez

Postby Kunimu » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:03 pm

Any feedback would be nice!

---

Description: In recent months, a company was given government permission to build large telescopes on one of @@NATION@@'s highest peaks. However, this plan has been opposed by multiple indigenous tribes, who view the mountain peak as sacred grounds.

Option 1: "We've had enough!" yells indigenous activist Mr. Turei, who is currently speaking at an anti-telescope rally, "Our lands were taken away! Our artifacts were stolen! Our cultures were looked down upon! And now, we have to endure these stupid telescopes?! On OUR sacred mountain?! For shame! The government should immediately close the project! Say NO to colonialism!"

Option 2: The CEO of @@NATION@@'s largest telescope company walks into your office. "Are you seeing this?!" grumbles the CEO, "Every time we try to build things, these damn activists keep popping up! So what if the mountain is sacred to these natives? My aunt's cousin's friend's sister's grandparent belongs to one of these native tribes, and she's okay with it! Anyway, just ignore all these crazies and approve the project! It'll provide thousands of jobs to the middle class! I mean, it also might damage the environment, but I mean...well...yeah, just approve the project. We'll talk about the messy stuff later."

Option 3: "I'm sure there's room for compromise", says one of your ministers, "Why not let these companies build their fancy telescopes but a significant portion of their revenue goes to native communities? Furthermore, whenever astronomers discover a new planet, they'll have to give them indigenous names. Perfect compromise, right? I mean, you'll still probably get a lot of complaints from both sides about how this deal isn't "good enough", but that's natural. People are too opinionated these days."

====

Outcome 1: The day of the telescope removal has become a new annual holiday for indigenous tribes.

Outcome 2: Telescope workers are often late for work due to traffic caused by protests.

Outcome 3: The government constantly juggles the demands of both sides, unable to appease anyone.
Last edited by Kunimu on Wed May 05, 2021 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Worker rights are human rights.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:31 pm

Rather similar to #664.

Kunimu
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Kunimu » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:37 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Rather similar to #664.

Good catch. I'll change the direction of the issue then.

Daarwyrth
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Daarwyrth » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:38 pm

I agree with Trotterdam, there seems to be overlap with #664: Your Land Or Mine. I realise your issue is inspired by the situation on Hawaii, and the telescope that was to be built there. If you want, you could try to see whether there is an angle in that story that could inspire an issue premise that doesn't overlap with issue 664, or at least creates a distinguishing take on it.
The Royal State of Daarwyrth
Forest's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Leader: Queen Demi Maria I | Capital: Daarsted | Current year: 2022 CE
  • Daarwyrth
  • Uylensted
  • Kentauria
  • 27 years old male
  • Dutch with Polish roots
  • English literature major
  • Ex-religious gay leftist

Kunimu
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Kunimu » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:01 pm

Daarwyrth wrote:I agree with Trotterdam, there seems to be overlap with #664: Your Land Or Mine. I realise your issue is inspired by the situation on Hawaii, and the telescope that was to be built there. If you want, you could try to see whether there is an angle in that story that could inspire an issue premise that doesn't overlap with issue 664, or at least creates a distinguishing take on it.

Thanks for the advice! I'll try to find another perspective in which the issue won't overlap with 664.

And yes, this was inspired by what's happening in Hawaii. I'm from there.
Last edited by Kunimu on Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:00 pm

Why does it need to be on a high mountain peak? Wouldn't it be better on a flat desert where there are no clouds?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:43 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Why does it need to be on a high mountain peak? Wouldn't it be better on a flat desert where there are no clouds?

Telescopes are built at high altitudes not only to avoid light pollution, but also to maximize the amount of desired spectra (light) visible to the telescope.

For example, infrared light is scattered by the atmosphere. If your telescope is higher up, more infrared light will be visible to it, which is useful when you are looking for very cold objects.
Last edited by Candensia on Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?