NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Switchin' Prescriptions

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Switchin' Prescriptions

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:42 am

Issue idea I had just today. I think it needs more humor though
[hr]
Switchin' Prescriptions

The Issue: Two people died today after a pharmacist misread a doctor's prescription and gave the patients a similarly named medicine, which they were allergic to.
Validity: Good healthcare, PRIVATE pharma, less than average intelligence, cursive

Option 1: "Amazing!" exclaims your Health Minister. "That's the best news I've ever- wait, two people died, not lived? Oh, boy. Let me read..." He squints at a newspaper, not realizing your secretary verbally gave you the news. "It said the pharmacist couldn't understand the prescription? Well, his glory days are over. Replace that old geezer with someone with working eyeballs." He chuckles nervously.
Result: anyone who can't read 4pt text from 5 meters away is deemed useless

Option 2: "It says the doctor wrote the prescription in cursive, which nobody could understand!" vents your Education Minister, signing documents right on your desk. "Look at me! Since that change, I've had to respond to angry letters from teachers left and right who say that children and even their parents have practically become illiterate with this loopy script! Just revert the change; people won't miss it anyways."
Result: fancy invitation cards look like theses

Option 3: "Aren't we missing the obvious?" says your Employment Minister. "The original prescription was a drug called Anidovin, which is a laxative. But the drug the patients were given was Amidovim, which is actually an antidiarrheal! And look - this generic drug called Maxbarine has a variant called Maxvarine which does the same thing but is priced ten times higher! These pharma companies are intentionally misleading customers with these names to make a quick buck. We need to regulate- nay, we need to seize control of these companies so that @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ get the healthcare they deserve!"
Result: people with colds take Australixariviolecandlemine
This is my signature. The old one was odd.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:18 pm

Option 3- most people wouldn't even know what drugs are meant to do. They've only heard of whatever drugs their doctors tell them to take, and maybe any drugs that anyone close to them takes.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:27 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 3- most people wouldn't even know what drugs are meant to do. They've only heard of whatever drugs their doctors tell them to take, and maybe any drugs that anyone close to them takes.

If you're the Education Minister, you would at least care to read the prescription. I mean, I take so many meds every day I practically enjoy reading the labels. Also, I have heard that at least in the US doctors recommend prescription drugs, so I could imagine many scenarios where the doctor recommends Maxbarine, but the patient mishears and/or the pharmacist misreads this as Maxvarine and gets charged ten times the amount.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:13 pm

The Sakhalinsk Empire wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Option 3- most people wouldn't even know what drugs are meant to do. They've only heard of whatever drugs their doctors tell them to take, and maybe any drugs that anyone close to them takes.

If you're the Education Minister, you would at least care to read the prescription. I mean, I take so many meds every day I practically enjoy reading the labels. Also, I have heard that at least in the US doctors recommend prescription drugs, so I could imagine many scenarios where the doctor recommends Maxbarine, but the patient mishears and/or the pharmacist misreads this as Maxvarine and gets charged ten times the amount.

Moving on. The next issue is- someone who needed an anti-diahrettic and got a diahrettic, and the besr cause of death you can think of allergies? Wouldn't he die from excessive diahreeah
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:29 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
The Sakhalinsk Empire wrote:If you're the Education Minister, you would at least care to read the prescription. I mean, I take so many meds every day I practically enjoy reading the labels. Also, I have heard that at least in the US doctors recommend prescription drugs, so I could imagine many scenarios where the doctor recommends Maxbarine, but the patient mishears and/or the pharmacist misreads this as Maxvarine and gets charged ten times the amount.

Moving on. The next issue is- someone who needed an anti-diahrettic and got a diahrettic, and the besr cause of death you can think of allergies? Wouldn't he die from excessive diahreeah

Allergic reactions can be very severe, especially if left untreated, whereas the situation you mention I think would be less severe and less of an emergency, at least at first.

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:45 am

Baby bump

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:11 pm

I'd note that in real life, we've basically gone all electronic on scripts, sending them directly to the pharmacist without ever touching a piece of paper. Those that have to be in physical form are printed rather than handwritten.

Handwritten scripts are still allowed, but are considered the exception rather than the norm, and pharmacists are trained to call up the doctor any time a handwritten script is anything less than perfectly legible, for pretty much the reasons this issue highlights.

That makes this issue one that might have made sense in the 1980s, but is somewhat dated now.

On the other hand, if you were to replace the validity with a check that the nation doesn't use computers (and forget the whole cursive thing), then the issue could work.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:30 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:On the other hand, if you were to replace the validity with a check that the nation doesn't use computers (and forget the whole cursive thing), then the issue could work.
Eh, nations without computers still have mechanical typewriters.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:47 pm

Right, and that should be an option. But back in the old days when notes were mostly handwritten, so were prescriptions. Whereas these days, they're generally not, in most developed countries.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Comfed
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Comfed » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:46 am

Look at me! Since that change, I've had to respond to angry letters from teachers left and right who say that children and even their parents have practically become illiterate with this loopy script!

Since what change? Not once does the issue mention cursive writing, so how is the reader supposed to know what the change refers to?

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?