NATION

PASSWORD

OBSELETE

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Owswaldia
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 22, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

OBSELETE

Postby Owswaldia » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:15 am

[TITLE] Execution Opinion Quartered

[VALIDITY] Only valid for nations with capital punishment.

[EXPLANATION] Recently, @@RANDOMNAME@@ was executed by being beaten to death, because the executioner had taken a particular dislike to the prisoner. This is sparked outrage by citizens across @@NAME@@, and civil rights groups across the country have demanded immediate action.

[OPTION 1] "This is not humane in any way!", screams @@RANDOMNAME@@, a prominent civil rights activist, as she barges into your office. "Starvation is such a slow and painful way to die! It is imperative that you restrict methods of capital punishment straight away! Form a committee to decide which execution methods are humane, and ban all other methods!"

[EFFECT] A committee decides the fates of many of @@NAME@@'s criminals in a monotonous and disinterested tone.

[OPTION 2] "HUMANE? HUMANE?", roars @@NAME@@'s most famous liberal from outside your window. "Nothing can ever make the death penalty humane! You must outlaw it immediately! If you kill criminals, you're as bad as them. And what if they're actually innocent? Have you thought about that?"

[EFFECT] A simultaneous cheer arose in every prison across @@NAME@@ as the government bans the death penalty.

[OPTION 3] Your Minister for Executions, @@RANDOMNAME@@, swiftly shuts the window, drowning out the protests from outside. "@@LEADER@@, you mustn't restrict the death penalty. It's the best way to stop criminals, and make @@NAME@@ a safer place. Actually, let's keep how these executions take place a secret, just to avoid this kind of protest from happening again". Just as @@HE@@ leaves the room, @@HE@@ mutters under @@HIS@@ breath, "and it would secure my job...".

[EFFECT] Execution methods are chosen based on how much the executor likes the criminal.

[OPTION 4] "I know a better way!", shouts @@RANDOMNAME@@, a certified nutjob, as he jumps up from under your desk. "I like where your minister is going, @@LEADER@@, but wouldn't it be an even bigger deterrent against crime if these executions were done publicly? And it would be a great opportunity for companies to make some more money.".

[EFFECT] Public executions are @@NAME@@'s 3rd most popular tourist attractions.
Last edited by Owswaldia on Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:47 am

Starvation? Seriously? Even just picking up a random object and clubbing the prisoner to death with it would be more humane than that. If you can find anything even remotely sharp (like a kitchen knife), it'll be even less painful. Oh, and police in most nations have guns. That's pretty easy to use.

Killing people is not expensive. If you can't manage that, how are you manging to even arrest or sentence them in the first place?

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:55 am

Owswaldia wrote:[EXPLANATION] Recently, @@RANDOMNAME@@ was executed by starvation because it was too expensive to carry out via another method.

How much does a length of rope cost? How poor are you assuming that the country carrying out the execution to be? The premise needs work, as at the moment it doesn't seem reasonable. As I've said before, some suspension of disbelief is implied in some issues, but this is too much.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Owswaldia
Political Columnist

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Owswaldia » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:58 am

Thanks for your input, I see now some of the problems with my draft. I've edited the original post based upon your points, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on that.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:40 am

Owswaldia wrote:[EXPLANATION] Recently, @@RANDOMNAME@@ was executed by being beaten to death, because the executioner had taken a particular dislike to the prisoner.

Usually that wouldn't be considered an execution, since it is being carried out in an uncontrolled manner and on a whim. Since it wasn't sanctioned then most countries would likely class that as murder instead.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Owswaldia
Political Columnist

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Owswaldia » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:44 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Owswaldia wrote:[EXPLANATION] Recently, @@RANDOMNAME@@ was executed by being beaten to death, because the executioner had taken a particular dislike to the prisoner.

Usually that wouldn't be considered an execution, since it is being carried out in an uncontrolled manner and on a whim. Since it wasn't sanctioned then most countries would likely class that as murder instead.

I’ve not seen any issue which restricts methods of capital punishment, so would you consider the draft more realistic if I added something about the executioner choosing this method when asked which they’d like to do?

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:59 am

Owswaldia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Usually that wouldn't be considered an execution, since it is being carried out in an uncontrolled manner and on a whim. Since it wasn't sanctioned then most countries would likely class that as murder instead.

I’ve not seen any issue which restricts methods of capital punishment, so would you consider the draft more realistic if I added something about the executioner choosing this method when asked which they’d like to do?

Issue 631: viewtopic.php?p=30397552#p30397552

Wave on, wave on

Owswaldia
Political Columnist

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Owswaldia » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:04 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Owswaldia wrote:

Issue 631: viewtopic.php?p=30397552#p30397552

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. It seems like that issue would pretty much cover this draft here and I won't submit this draft

Thanks for your help
Last edited by Owswaldia on Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?