NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Opportunity Cost

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Opportunity Cost

Postby Cretox State » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:43 pm

Opportunity Cost

Validity: Capitalist and at least moderate corruption.

Description
Your Treasury Minister has just returned from a taxpayer-funded trip to a @@MAJORINDUSTRY@@ conference in Manamana with a new idea for lining the nation's coffers: selling government property as advertising space for interested parties.

Option 1
"I've already received... several interesting offers," grunts your beachwear-clad Treasury Minister, struggling to lift a nondescript briefcase onto your desk. "Here's the gist: we allow my- sorry, our- corporate friends to buy advertising space from us. We can sell wall space in the capitol, advertisements on official vehicles, maybe even a few lines in official statements. It'll bring in plenty of business without interfering in government business. Clever wordplay, huh?"

Effect: @@LEADER@@ pauses statements denying corruption allegations to personally thank today's sponsors

Validity: No sortition.
Option 2a
"Some wall space, a few lines, and that's it? You've got to have more vision, @@LEADER@@!" exclaims regulatory advisor @@RANDOMNAME@@, entering your office tangled in strings after stumbling into one of your niece's art projects. "We should start selling government positions to the highest bidder. It's not as crazy as it sounds- it's hard to get a government job without connections anyway, and it's not like it really matters who's in a certain midlevel spot. High-level positions like mine should be exempt, of course."

Effect: government officials appointed on merit are accused of collusion

Validity: Sortition.
Option 2b
"Some wall space, a few lines, and that's it? You've got to have more vision, @@LEADER@@!" exclaims regulatory advisor @@RANDOMNAME@@, entering your office tangled in strings after stumbling into one of your niece's art projects. "We should get rid of this silly lottery system and start selling government positions to the highest bidder. It's not as crazy as it sounds- it takes competence to have that kind of money in the first place, and people who pay a lot for something are more likely to be invested in it. High-level positions like mine should be exempt, of course."

Effect: government officials appointed on merit are accused of collusion

Option 3
"Are you people nuts? I think it's important we avoid even the appearance of conflicts of interest," says your Minister of Parade Precipitation, phoning in from a penthouse in Blackacre. "The public won't trust our government unless we act to maintain its integrity. I say we decline these offers, ban all advertising on government premises, and force every official to take a course on corruption. If we really need the money, how about cutting down on all those taxpayer-funded trips?"

Effect: government officials are strongly discouraged from bringing sacks with @@CURRENCY@@ signs to corporate events

I initially had "I've already got a buyer lined up for your speech announcing the new program. Don't worry: he also wrote the speech." to close off option 1, but decided it would be too extreme. For option 2's effect line, I initially had "the government offers a tiered subscription service for access to classified information."
Last edited by Cretox State on Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Cretox State
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Cretox State » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:44 pm

Reserved.
GA/SC/Issues author. Public Servant. Killer of Stats. Thought Leader. Influencer. P20 Laureate. Delegate Emeritus of thousands of regions.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:17 am

So this is basically selling advertising space on things like state-owned public transport, billboards on state land, right? Don't such things already exist? Are you planning to imtroduce this type of advertising or do you wish to expand it
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Return to Got Issues?