NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Curfew Kerfuffles

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Sensorland
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Curfew Kerfuffles

Postby Sensorland » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:41 pm

About a year ago, I posted the first draft of this issue. I got pretty positive feedback, but in the end I didn't finish working on it or submit it. So I'm revisiting it now. I've made substantial changes since the previous draft.

Current draft:
Title: Curfew Kerfuffles
Validity: Must have policy: "Curfew".

The issue: During a late-night jog, @@RANDOMNAME@@ witnessed a burglary in action and called the police. When the cops arrived on the scene, however, @@HE@@ was arrested along with the thief for being in violation of the national curfew. When the media picked up the story, outrage over the perceived injustice has led to a renewed anti-curfew movement making its way to your office.

Option 1
"What happened to my client is simply unacceptable," states @@RANDOMNAME_1@@'s lawyer, @@RANDOMNAME@@. "When a model citizen like @@FIRSTNAME_1@@ who pays @@HIS@@ taxes, obeys the law, and reports crimes is arrested for going on an evening stroll, the only thing that can come of that is people being scared to report crimes! What irony! This curfew is completely counterproductive! Do the right thing, @@LEADER@@. Abolish it."
Effect: nighttime parties sometimes go on past the early evening
Removes policy: Curfew

Option 2
"Oh, something unacceptable happened here, all right!" barks the Chief of @@CAPITAL@@ Police. "We didn’t catch this curfew-violator until @@HE_1@@@ practically reported @@HIMSELF_1@@! The curfew won’t do much unless we show people we’re serious about enforcing it. We need more cops on the night shift and motion sensors on every sidewalk to help us catch offenders in their tracks. And, of course, we’ll need some extra funding. To keep the streets safe."
Effect: homeless people are arrested for failing to go home at night

Option 3
"I’m not sure we should go that far," yawns night-shift officer @@RANDOMNAME@@, before taking a sip from @@HIS@@ mug. "Sure, the curfew reduces crime, but it would be a real waste of time if we were to nab everyone who was just going out for some air. How about we leave the curfew, but just selectively enforce it? That way, people can go outside if they want, and we can add a charge when we arrest legitimate criminals. Plus, it’s less paperwork for me. What could go wrong?"
Effect: criminals are routinely charged with being up past their bedtime

Option 4
Your Minister of Automation, attending the meeting by video call from a beach in East Calypso, unmutes @@HIS@@ microphone and speaks up for the first time. “You know, I don’t see why this has to be a police problem at all. If we just put up some surveillance cameras and use facial-recognition technology, we could just find curfew violators and automatically send them fees by mail. Easy peasy!” @@HE@@ then goes back to sipping on a tropical drink with a little umbrella in it.
Effect: @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ are often spotted wearing sunglasses at night
Sensorland of the West Pacific
I mostly use NS stats
Just here to have a good time
Author of issue #1325
Social liberal, Georgist, atheist, vegan

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:16 pm

I though curfews were for children. Anyways, option 4- this isn't about how to enforced, it's about whether or not they should be enforced. Option 4 doesn't address the issue
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:00 am

Australian rePublic wrote:I though curfews were for children. Anyways, option 4- this isn't about how to enforced, it's about whether or not they should be enforced. Option 4 doesn't address the issue
I have to agree. Options 2 and 4 are too similar, you don't need both.

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:59 pm

Remove option 4, and change option three from "selectively enforce it" to "enforce it to criminals".
also known as pacific shores
author of sc #434
professional slab worshipper
lieutenant of the south pacific special forces
2023 ananke award co-winner
Rosartemis wrote:DOWN WITH UEPU THOSE DAMNED RAIDERS!

Return to Got Issues?