NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Cracking The Cryptic

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

[DRAFT] Cracking The Cryptic

Postby Greater Cesnica » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:06 pm

Issue title is a reference to this YouTube channel
[title] Cracking The Cryptic
[description] Earlier this week, the @@NAME@@ Security Agency released a report detailing what they presented as the dangers of unrestricted access to strong encryption methods, which has led to a polarizing debate on the matter.
[validity] has police, has crime problem, has not banned the internet or computers, did not choose option 3 in Issue #37

[option] "These strong encryption methods are making it difficult to do our job." says @@CAPITAL@@ police chief @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Perverts, arms dealers, drug marketplaces- they all rely on the security that these tough encryption algorithms provide. Ban the use of these algorithms for civilians without a government license, and these reprobates will find it a lot harder to engage in illegal activites on the internet."
[option validity] has regulated guns or drugs
[effect] seedy alleyways have seen a surge in activity

[option] "These strong encryption methods are making it difficult to do our job." says @@CAPITAL@@ police chief @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Perverts, terrorist forums, contract killing services- they all rely on the security that these tough encryption algorithms provide. Ban the use of these algorithms for civilians without a government license, and these reprobates will find it a lot harder to engage in illegal activites on the internet."
[option validity] Did not choose options 4 or 5 in Issue #902

[option] "That's absurd." replies @@RANDOMNAME@@, a professor of computer science at @@ANIMAL@@ University. "Such encryption algorithms are vitally important, as they protect the integrity of digital communications and stored information from bad actors. By banning these algorithms, you'll be allowing malicious parties the ability to wreak havoc on all manner of digital systems across @@NAME@@. Your best option here is to allow unrestricted use of encryption, no matter the ramifications to law enforcement."
[effect] cryptocurrency transfers are at an all-time high

[option] "Well I'd say there's a better option." counters noted criminologist and libertarian thinker Mary Gauser. "This encryption debate only exists because of our burdensome laws. I see no need to prosecute people for wanting to enjoy recreational drugs in their down time, nor do I see any reason to prosecute people for wanting firearms to defend themselves; freedoms that shouldn't be incumbered by government red tape. Get rid of all these restrictions, and stop making criminals out of people for no good reason."
[option validity] has regulated guns and drugs
[effect] shooting ranges have an ambulance on standby at all times

[option] "Well I'd say there's a better option." counters noted criminologist and libertarian thinker Mary Gauser. "This encryption debate only exists because of our burdensome laws. I see no need to prosecute people for wanting firearms to defend themselves, something which shouldn't be encumbered by government red tape. Get rid of all these restrictions, and stop making criminals out of people for no good reason."
[option validity] has regulated guns
[effect] kevlar vests are the hottest thing in fashion

[option] "Well I'd say there's a better option." counters noted criminologist and libertarian thinker Mary Gauser. "This encryption debate only exists because of our burdensome laws. I see no need to prosecute people for wanting to enjoy recreational drugs in their down time, something which shouldn't be encumbered by government red tape. Get rid of all these restrictions, and stop making criminals out of people for no good reason."
[option validity] has regulated drugs
[effect] the nation is awash with red eyes and euphoric highs
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:07 pm

[description] Earlier this week, the @@NAME@@ Security Agency released a report detailing what they presented as the dangers of unrestricted access to strong encryption methods, which has led to a polarizing debate on the matter.
[validity] has police, has crime problem, has not banned the internet or computers, did not choose option 3 in Issue #37

[option] "These strong encryption methods are making it difficult to do our job." says @@CAPITAL@@ police chief @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Perverts, arms dealers, drug marketplaces- they all rely on the security that these tough encryption algorithms provide. Ban the use of these algorithms for civilians without a government license, and these reprobates will find it a lot harder to engage in illegal activites on the internet."

[option] "These strong encryption methods are making it difficult to do our job." says @@CAPITAL@@ police chief @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Perverts, terrorist forums, contract killing services- they all rely on the security that these tough encryption algorithms provide. Ban the use of these algorithms for civilians without a government license, and these reprobates will find it a lot harder to engage in illegal activites on the internet."

[option] "That's absurd." replies @@RANDOMNAME@@, a professor of computer science at @@ANIMAL@@ University. "Such encryption algorithms are vitally important, as they protect the integrity of digital communications and stored information from bad actors. By banning these algorithms, you'll be allowing malicious parties the ability to wreak havoc on all manner of digital systems across @@NAME@@. Your best option here is to allow unrestricted use of encryption, no matter the ramifications to law enforcement."

[option] "Well I'd say there's a better option." counters noted criminologist and libertarian thinker Mary Gauser. "This encryption debate only exists because of our burdensome laws. I see no need to prosecute people for wanting to enjoy recreational drugs in their down time, nor do I see any reason to prosecute people for wanting firearms to defend themselves; freedoms that shouldn't be incumbered by government red tape. Get rid of all these restrictions, and stop making criminals out of people for no good reason."

[option] "Well I'd say there's a better option." counters noted criminologist and libertarian thinker Mary Gauser. "This encryption debate only exists because of our burdensome laws. I see no need to prosecute people for wanting firearms to defend themselves, something which shouldn't be encumbered by government red tape. Get rid of all these restrictions, and stop making criminals out of people for no good reason."

[option] "Well I'd say there's a better option." counters noted criminologist and libertarian thinker Mary Gauser. "This encryption debate only exists because of our burdensome laws. I see no need to prosecute people for wanting to enjoy recreational drugs in their down time, something which shouldn't be encumbered by government red tape. Get rid of all these restrictions, and stop making criminals out of people for no good reason."
Draft created.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:09 pm

So there are several concerns with this draft that I'll be working on over the coming days, such as the characters not having enough, well, character, as well as the rather bland description opening setup.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:13 pm

Greater Cesnica wrote:Issue title is a reference to this YouTube channel

1. Replace "seedy alleyways" with "dark web" for realism reasons
2. Add "does not regulate guns" to the overall issue validity and remove option 1a
3. Number and organize your options greater
4. Remove "has regulated guns" in all options and remove options 3a and 3b
also known as pacific shores
author of sc #434
professional slab worshipper
lieutenant of the south pacific special forces
2023 ananke award co-winner
Rosartemis wrote:DOWN WITH UEPU THOSE DAMNED RAIDERS!

Pluvie
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Pluvie » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:04 pm

This is probably a very silly question, but what is an encryption method? I feel like knowing that would help me understand the draft a lot better xD
You're Beautiful!! Have a great day
Writer, editor, and generally curious cat
Let me know if you ever need help with writing or editing and I’m always willing to lend a helpful hand!
Feel free to telegram or dm me on discord!
Have a heckin day ^-^

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:32 am

You might wanna specify that this is for personal computers/phones used by the general public
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:00 am

Pluvie wrote:This is probably a very silly question, but what is an encryption method? I feel like knowing that would help me understand the draft a lot better xD

No worries. An encryption method would be an algorithm that protects data and communications. It does this by taking the original form, which would be known as plaintext, and converts it into an alternate form, known as ciphertext. To get your plaintext back you need a decryption key to decipher the plaintext's original form.

This process of encryption is used on nearly all major websites and most websites in general to protect the data you input on the site. It's also used by apps like WhatsApp and Telegram to protect the privacy of your chats, by file storage cloud services like Mega and OneDrive, and in essentially all online transactions; not to mention the lock screen on your computers and phones. A world without encryption would be a world without privacy and security, essentially.
Last edited by Greater Cesnica on Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Pluvie
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Pluvie » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:40 am

Greater Cesnica wrote:
Pluvie wrote:This is probably a very silly question, but what is an encryption method? I feel like knowing that would help me understand the draft a lot better xD

No worries. An encryption method would be an algorithm that protects data and communications. It does this by taking the original form, which would be known as plaintext, and converts it into an alternate form, known as ciphertext. To get your plaintext back you need a decryption key to decipher the plaintext's original form.

This process of encryption is used on nearly all major websites and most websites in general to protect the data you input on the site. It's also used by apps like WhatsApp and Telegram to protect the privacy of your chats, by file storage cloud services like Mega and OneDrive, and in essentially all online transactions; not to mention the lock screen on your computers and phones. A world without encryption would be a world without privacy and security, essentially.

Ohhh so like a secret code! Thats pretty cool. Maybe this would just help for me but I feel like that could be explained a little bit better in the description? Because at present it seems to be just presenting it as an issue without explaining why it would be one. That’s just my personal opinion :)

Other than that, I’m unclear as to why it’s @@ANIMAL@@ university? I feel like I very rarely see universities named after animals tbh, usually places or people. I also feel using the nationsl animal there is a little misleading because it doesn’t seem to have any connection to the rest of the issue, but again, partially personal preference, I feel it reads weird as @@ANIMAL@@.

And lastly, there’s 5 options, and only 2 actual choices as far as I can tell. I personally would try to cut that down, 3 subsects for one option is quite a few and I’m not sure they’re all completely necessary. I also would not be opposed to a 3rd option, and I think there’s a lot you could do with it. From what I can tell, encryption is a very like dark web, evil spy vibe (yes that is mostly arbitrary I admit, but would make for a very easy vibe with essentially computerized secret codes). I think an option from one of the folks actually using the encryption, perhaps a black market salesman or such, could very easily head an option 3 and there are definitely arguments that could be (shadily) made in defense of privacy and civil rights, essentially a real option directly against option 1, because option 2 to me feels very much like the trademark NS crazy option, rather than direct opposition.

Other than that, I think it’s a great start and I’ll be excited to see where this goes :)
You're Beautiful!! Have a great day
Writer, editor, and generally curious cat
Let me know if you ever need help with writing or editing and I’m always willing to lend a helpful hand!
Feel free to telegram or dm me on discord!
Have a heckin day ^-^

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?