NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT]These Options Are Not An Option

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
User avatar
Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor
 
Posts: 1817
Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

[DRAFT]These Options Are Not An Option

Postby Noahs Second Country » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:02 pm

[title]These Options Are Not An Option

[validity]capitalism, internet

[desc] Popular stock trading platform Robewood recently halted the trading of certain stocks and options, claiming to protect their users from extreme market volatility. Thousands of users are pushing back against this action, asserting that this caused them to lose hundreds to thousands of @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@. The restricted stocks continue to be propelled upwards by massive groups of @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ on internet forums buying the stock through other brokerages in retaliation.

[option]"The bubble is going to burst, and we're going to see people falling even further below the poverty line," carefully claims Robewood CEO @@RANDOMMALENAME@@, as investors eye him uncertainly. "These misinformed, internet gambling, Ponzi schemers shouldn't be allowed to influence the global markets like this! Let's be real, the inflated ZWE stock is really worth 22 @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@, and trading should only reopen once the price falls below that threshold. By next Friday, preferably -- I'll get my hedge fund guys on it."
[effect]only the rich can engage with the free market

[option]"This was an opportunity to finally take my income to the moon," cries @@RANDOMNAME@@, whose callouses from hard daily labor make him better known as 'Diamond-Hands'. "The rich elite of this nation are just covering their massive losses by bribing Robewood to stop trading of stocks they're losing money on. Sure, my contracts might appear to be high-risk, but I simply like the stock! Trading platforms must allow users to do whatever they want, period."
[effect]stocks go up when the internet says so

[option]"Frankly, momentum trades like these are going to happen far into the future," claims @@RANDOMNAME@@, who recently lost their entire savings after visiting an internet forum. "To avoid this debate over and over again, just abolish capitalism. The invisible hand of the free market can instead be controlled by you, and the corporate pigs along with it. Mind lending me some money, @@LEADER@@? I'm craving some chicken nuggets."
[effect]citizens have lost all interest in the stock market
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - Card Player, 5x Issues Author, 5.5x SC Author, Editor

User avatar
USS Monitor
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 29462
Founded: Jul 01, 2015
19th Century Iron Steamship

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:09 pm

I think all the characters could be random gender, with @@HIS@@ macros to match.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
NationStates issues editors may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21791
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:18 am

There should be a fourth option- the government trade shares in order to make up for major discrepancies. What could possibly go wrong?
If you're against political parties who support the CCP, then vote against the Australian Labor Party
The only reason why countries bid to host the games is for tourism. This is why countries plan to boycott the Beijing winter Olympics. By cancelling the 2020/21 Olympics, Japan is defacto recieving the same punishment as China, but Japan did nothing wrong since World War II
Until if and when the Spanish language evolves to allow for gender-neutrality to not be impossible, (which will take at least centuries), the concept of "LatinX" is completely ridiculous
From Greek Ansestry Orthodox Christian
18 Published Issues and 1 WA Resolution List of NPC Nations
In-Character posts made by this fictious account do not reflect the actions of any real world government

User avatar
Noahs Second Country
Issues Editor
 
Posts: 1817
Founded: Aug 31, 2016
Anarchy

Postby Noahs Second Country » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:37 am

Australian rePublic wrote:There should be a fourth option- the government trade shares in order to make up for major discrepancies. What could possibly go wrong?

Is this a viable option in the real-life situation occurring right now?

Seems to be a bit far off from the specific issue at hand, adding such an option may feel forced.
Westinor wrote:Who knew the face of Big Farma could be the greatest hero of the Cards Proleteriat?
Honeydewistania wrote:Such spunk and arrogance that he welcomes the brigade of hatred!
WeKnow wrote:I am not a fan of his in the slightest.
Benevolent 0 wrote:You can't seem to ever portray yourself straight.
Bormiar wrote: reckless and greedy, closer to a character issue than something to be rewarded.
Second Best™ - Card Player, 5x Issues Author, 5.5x SC Author, Editor

User avatar
Candensia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 747
Founded: Apr 20, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Candensia » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:28 am

While I do not have issue with the topic of this issue, I do believe there is a case to be made for holding off on this one, as the situation is still unfolding. It seems possible that there will be regulatory inquiries or congressional investigations as a result. After all, we currently do not know precisely and factually why Robinhood is restricting stock sales. As this topic reflects current events, I feel this information should be known before crafting an issue in its likeness.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

User avatar
USS Monitor
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 29462
Founded: Jul 01, 2015
19th Century Iron Steamship

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:11 pm

Candensia wrote:While I do not have issue with the topic of this issue, I do believe there is a case to be made for holding off on this one, as the situation is still unfolding. It seems possible that there will be regulatory inquiries or congressional investigations as a result. After all, we currently do not know precisely and factually why Robinhood is restricting stock sales. As this topic reflects current events, I feel this information should be known before crafting an issue in its likeness.


I think it's possible that we'll end up with multiple issues based on different aspects of this kerfuffle. If the draft is coherent enough to stand on its own, then it does not have to cover the whole RL story.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
NationStates issues editors may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

User avatar
Ransium
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 6620
Founded: Oct 17, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ransium » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:07 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Candensia wrote:While I do not have issue with the topic of this issue, I do believe there is a case to be made for holding off on this one, as the situation is still unfolding. It seems possible that there will be regulatory inquiries or congressional investigations as a result. After all, we currently do not know precisely and factually why Robinhood is restricting stock sales. As this topic reflects current events, I feel this information should be known before crafting an issue in its likeness.


I think it's possible that we'll end up with multiple issues based on different aspects of this kerfuffle. If the draft is coherent enough to stand on its own, then it does not have to cover the whole RL story.


I donno, I agree with Candensia, this feels pretty ripped from the headlines to me. Will this issue be so comprehensible in 6 years? I think it might feel a bit odd, like the plane getting shot down issue, which is one of my least favorite.

Commended by SC 236,
WA Delegate of Forest from March 20th, 2007 to August 19, 2020.
Author of WA Resolutions: SC 221, SC 224, SC 233, SC 243, SC 265, GA 403, GA 439, GA 445,GA 463,GA 465,
Issues Editor January 20th, 2017 - November 23rd, 2020.
Author of 27 issues. First editor of 44.
Moderator November 10th 2017 - November 23rd 2020.

User avatar
USS Monitor
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 29462
Founded: Jul 01, 2015
19th Century Iron Steamship

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:44 pm

Ransium wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
I think it's possible that we'll end up with multiple issues based on different aspects of this kerfuffle. If the draft is coherent enough to stand on its own, then it does not have to cover the whole RL story.


I donno, I agree with Candensia, this feels pretty ripped from the headlines to me. Will this issue be so comprehensible in 6 years? I think it might feel a bit odd, like the plane getting shot down issue, which is one of my least favorite.


I think the solution to that is to provide additional context in the draft, not wait for Congress to move. Congress can be pretty slow.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
NationStates issues editors may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།


Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kunimu, Maoist Rebel Controlled Southeast Asia

Advertisement

Remove ads