NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Title TBD, about assassination

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

[DRAFT] Title TBD, about assassination

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:55 pm

Here's a very rought draft for an issue that I wrote. I don't think this has been done before, but it does overlap with issue #981 and issue #684. If that's a problem, I'll scrap it.

What had been a relatively mellow day for @@NATION@@ was slashed into pieces with the assassination of high-ranking general @@RANDOMANAME@@ on @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ soil. The United Federation has since taken responsibility for this attack, enraging @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ across the nation and raising the eyebrows of international lawyers.

1. [option] As you walk past the United Federation's embassy you notice someone emerge from a nearby house, hurl a stone through the embassy's window, and stop to talk to you. "How DARE they! The United Federation had NO RIGHT to fly their UAVs over @@NATION@@, much less MURDER one of our own on OUR land! We need to show them that @@NATION@@ is not to be messed with! We need to strike back, and assassinate one of them!"

[result] @@LEADER@@ notices the faint hum of a drone as @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ debate the sensibility of attacking United Federation officials.

2. [option] A tank that you did NOT call for rolls up to the embassy, and a hatch opens to reveal the notoriously militaristic General @@NAME@@. "THAT DOESN'T GO FAR ENOUGH, PREPARE FOR TOTAL WAR! DOWN WITH THE UNITED FEDERATION!" The hatch closes and the tank turns to face the embassy.

[result] The people of @@NATION@@ live in constant fear of bombardment by the United Federation.

3. [option] A second tank bearing the insignia of the United Federation pulls out from behind the embassy and fires a projectile into the rock-thrower's house. After your ears stop ringing, ambassador @@NAME@@ emerges. "Look, your general was a terrorist. There's no need to escalate things because of a service we provided, and we'd love it if you stopped interfering in our activities in the region.

[result] @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ are having a hard time finding oil these days.

4. [option] One of your advisors walks up to you, notices your shock, and offers a bottle of water. "While escalation is clearly not the answer, we could always place sanctions on them. We may have to nationalize some of our industry to compensate for it, but that's achievable."

[result] The United Federation is considering intervention in @@NATION@@.
Last edited by Alcala-Cordel on Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:03 pm

Unfortunately, this currently reads nearly identically to #259.

[desc] Assassination (or attempt). What do?
[option] Assassinate back
[option] Total war
[option] De-escalate

The only difference is that you include a 4th option describing non-military retaliation, but apart from that...
Last edited by SherpDaWerp on Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:06 pm

SherpDaWerp wrote:Unfortunately, this currently reads nearly identically to #259.

[option] Total war
[option] De-escalate

The only difference is that you include a 4th option describing non-military retaliation, but apart from that...

Thank you. Do you think it's beyond salvation, or could it be edited?

SherpDaWerp
Technical Moderator

Founded: Mar 02, 2016
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby SherpDaWerp » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:23 pm

Alcala-Cordel wrote:
SherpDaWerp wrote:Unfortunately, this currently reads nearly identically to #259.

[option] Total war
[option] De-escalate

Thank you. Do you think it's beyond salvation, or could it be edited?

I did like the original framing - making it a drone strike, and having @@name@@ suffer the consequences that you inflicted on another nation in #386 - because presenting the other side of a dilemma like that is always interesting. The "assassination" angle is pretty much fully covered by #259 (and #684), but there might be something you could do about drone strikes happening in @@name@@ and how to respond to that.

The way I might look at it would be to say "drone strikes are happening as part of a long-standing war with Blackacre" and focus on how to deal with the drone strikes specifically in an international sense. Have options like "well, they've disregarded distinction, so we can do the same" and "no, we can't stoop to their level, take it to an international court".

My search didn't turn up anything for distinction-based issues (especially something like that happening to @@demonym@@ civilians) but it's a more difficult topic to search for than most, so be aware that overlap is certainly possible with the premise I've given.
Became an editor on 18/01/23 techie on 29/01/24

Rampant statistical speculation from before then is entirely unofficial

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:38 am

SherpDaWerp wrote:
Alcala-Cordel wrote:Thank you. Do you think it's beyond salvation, or could it be edited?

I did like the original framing - making it a drone strike, and having @@name@@ suffer the consequences that you inflicted on another nation in #386 - because presenting the other side of a dilemma like that is always interesting. The "assassination" angle is pretty much fully covered by #259 (and #684), but there might be something you could do about drone strikes happening in @@name@@ and how to respond to that.

The way I might look at it would be to say "drone strikes are happening as part of a long-standing war with Blackacre" and focus on how to deal with the drone strikes specifically in an international sense. Have options like "well, they've disregarded distinction, so we can do the same" and "no, we can't stoop to their level, take it to an international court".

My search didn't turn up anything for distinction-based issues (especially something like that happening to @@demonym@@ civilians) but it's a more difficult topic to search for than most, so be aware that overlap is certainly possible with the premise I've given.

Well, it looks like I've got a premise then! Thank you for your help!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:41 pm

If you focus it more on foreigners, rather than locals, you might be able to salvage it
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Return to Got Issues?