NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Affirmation Bias

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[SUBMITTED] Affirmation Bias

Postby Jutsa » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:27 am

My first draft in a while - and, yes, I'm aware I have a dozen other drafts on the forum. Been without a computer for a while and also without much time. :P

This might very well be my last new draft for a little while, but I'd like to at least finish up the ones I've got up here. Though, last time I thought this, I went on a writing spree, so we'll see what happens. :lol:

I'm also aware this will need a lot of work (my rust is showing); I'd just like some feedback on the general premise and layout first. :)
Also Big Max is meant to be Bigtopia / Maxtopia in case you're wondering.

Title: Affirmation Bias
The Issue: Big Max Inc, a prominent minority-run business applauded for its diversity and help in giving well-paying jobs to the disadvantaged, has been thrust into public spotlight after several well-to-do were denied jobs on the grounds of being too @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@.
Validity: Capitalist; Moderate or High Inclusivity

Validity: No Affirmative Action
Option 1a: "This is blatant discrimination against the majority!" cries laid-off bank teller @@RANDOMNAME@@, having been denied a manager's position at Big Max. "And they call ME a bigot! If I - I mean, businesses - can't discriminate against minorities, then those commies shouldn't be allowed to discriminate against us."
[effect] those who're treated better than others no longer have to worry about losing that privilege

Validity: Affirmative Action
Option 1b: "This is blatant discrimination against the majority!" cries laid-off bank teller @@RANDOMNAME@@, having been denied a manager's position at Big Max. "And they call ME a bigot! If I - I mean, businesses - have to put up with a minority quota, then maybe it's time we have a complementary majority quota."
[effect] those who're treated better than others no longer have to worry about losing that privilege

Option 2: "It is our duty as a minority-oriented business to cater to our fellow minorities," drones @@RANDOMNAME@@, the big cheese of Big Max. "Even with all of the protective laws we have, we're still faced with more subtle workplace bias from the majority. If anything, you should let us openly advertise our selection process, and perhaps allow us to chose what customers we have as well."
[effect] the well-to-do truly are a minority

Option 3a: "There's a compromise to be made, here," says your Minister of Meeting in the Middle, who you're almost certain is your Minister of Compromises in a different suit. "What if we instituted a workforce diversity quota for both minorities and the @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@ majority that all workplaces have to meet? That way there's fair represented in all companies, including at Big Max. Sounds like the affirmative answer if you ask me."
[effect] businesses proudly flaunt their token majorities

Option 3b: "There's a compromise to be made, here," says your Minister of Meeting in the Middle, who you're almost certain is your Minister of Compromises in a different suit. "What if we discarded the practice of affirmative action? That way Big Max can continue to support minorities, while other companies can support the rest of @@NAME@@. A freer market with no discriminative quotas - sure sounds like the right answer if you ask me."
[effect] everyone is equally free to judge others as inferior

The Issue: Big Max Inc, a prominent minority-run business applauded for its diversity and help in giving well-paying jobs to the disadvantaged, has been thrust into public spotlight after several well-to-do were denied jobs on the grounds of being too @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@.
Validity: Capitalist; Moderate or High Inclusivity

Option 1a: "This is blatant discrimination against the majority!" cries laid-off bank teller @@RANDOMNAME@@, having been denied a manager's position at Big Max. "And they call ME a bigot! If I - I mean, businesses - can't discriminate against minorities, then those commies shouldn't be allowed to discriminate against us."
[effect] those who've spent years being treated worse than nobody else are now treated more fairly than anyone

Option 1b: "This is blatant discrimination against the majority!" cries laid-off bank teller @@RANDOMNAME@@, having been denied a manager's position at Big Max. "And they call ME a bigot! If I - I mean, businesses - have to put up with a minority quota, then maybe it's time we have a complementary majority quota."
[effect] those who've spent years being treated worse than nobody else are now treated more fairly than anyone

Option 2: "It is our duty as a minority-oriented business to cater to our fellow minorities," drones @@RANDOMNAME@@, the big cheese of Big Max. "Even with all of the protective laws we have, we're still faced with more subtle workplace bias from the majority. If anything, you should let us openly advertise our selection process, and perhaps allow us to chose what customers we have as well."
[effect] the well-to-do truly are a minority

Option 3a: "There's a compromise to be made, here," says your Minister of Meeting in the Middle, stepping in betwee. "What if we instituted a workforce diversity quota? That way minorities get represented in all companies, and Big Max has to open up. Sounds like the affirmative answer if you ask me."
[effect] businesses proudly flaunt their token majorities

Option 3b: "There's a compromise to be made, here," says your Minister of Meeting in the Middle, who you're almost certain is your Minister of Compromises in a different suit. "What if we discarded the practice of affirmative action? That way Big Max can continue to support minorities, while other companies can support the rest of @@NAME@@. A freer market with no discriminative quotas - sure sounds like the right answer if you ask me."
[effect] everyone is equally free to judge others as inferior

Validity: Capitalist; High Inclusivity

Option 1a: "This is blatant discrimination against the majority!" cries laid off bank teller @@RANDOMNAME@@, having been denied a managers' position at Big Max. "And they call ME a bigot! If I - I mean, businesses - can't discriminate against minorities, then those commies shouldn't be allowed to discriminate against us."

Option 1b: "This is blatant discrimination against the majority!" cries laid off bank teller @@RANDOMNAME@@, having been denied a managers' position at Big Max. "And they call ME a bigot! If I - I mean, businesses - have to put up with a minority quota, then maybe it's time we have a complementary majority quota."

Option 3a: "There's a compromise to be made, here," says your Minister of Meeting in the Middle, who you're almost certain is your Minister of Compromises in a different suit. "What if we instituted a quota that all workforces have to meet? That way minorities are represented in all companies, and Big Max has to open up to majorities. Sounds like the affirmative answer if you ask me."

The Issue: Big Max Inc, a prominent minority-run business applauded for its diversity and help in giving well-paying jobs to the disadvantaged, has had a big hit in its reputation after several well-to-do were denied jobs on the grounds of being too @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@.
Validity: Capitalist; High Inclusivity

Option 1a: "This is blatant discrimination against the majority!" cries laid off bank teller @@RANDOMNAME@@, having been denied a managers' position at Big Max. "And they call ME a bigot! If I - I mean, businesses - can't discriminate against minorities, then those commies shouldn't be allowed to discriminate against us."

Option 1b: "This is blatant discrimination against the majority!" cries laid off bank teller @@RANDOMNAME@@, having been denied a managers' position at Big Max. "And they call ME a bigot! If I - I mean, businesses - have to put up with a minority quota, then maybe it's time we have a complementary majority quota."

Option 3a: "There's a compromise to be made, here," says your Minister of Meeting in the Middle, who you're almost certain is your Minister of Compromises in a different suit. "What if we instituted a quota for a minority workforce that all businesses have to meet? That way minorities are represented, and Big Max can open up to majorities. Sounds like the affirmative answer if you ask me."

Last edited by Jutsa on Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:44 pm, edited 12 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:56 am

You're probably aware of this, but you're missing effect lines.

Jutsa wrote:laid off bank teller @@RANDOMNAME@@, having been denied a managers' position at Big Max
This should be "laid-off" and "manager's".

Jutsa wrote:your Minister of Meeting in the Middle, who you're almost certain is your Minister of Compromises in a different suit
There's no joke here. Those are literally just different words for the same thing. You're not doing anything clever by pointing out the relationship between them.

Jutsa wrote:"What if we instituted a quota for a minority workforce that all businesses have to meet? That way minorities are represented, and Big Max can open up to majorities. Sounds like the affirmative answer if you ask me."
This features no way to guarantee that, if you do this, Big Max will actually behave as expected. Indeed, the structure of the rest of the issue (and the fact it can still be assigned to nations with affirmative action) suggests that they won't.

By contrast, the other version of this option does sound like it would "work", not necessarily in the sense of being a good idea, but in the sense of probably having the outcome the suggester claims it will.

Dominioan
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Dominioan » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:45 pm

You have got to be kidding me, I just made a draft about affirmative action! Ah well :p
Help i'm addicted to pain so I keep coming back to this site
Direct rule from Oklahoma City
Cool person

I've read 1984, so I can confirm this is in fact 1984

BOOMER SOONER
CHOP ON

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:24 pm

Dominioan wrote:You have got to be kidding me, I just made a draft about affirmative action! Ah well
I think even if they're both about affirmative action, the subjects of the drafts are sufficiently different for overlap to not be a concern.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:43 pm

A better compromise in option 3 would be to require affirmative action laws to also stipulate that the majority ethnicity is represented by the same minimum percentage.

An effect line about "token majorities" then becomes possible. :)
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:28 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:A better compromise in option 3 would be to require affirmative action laws to also stipulate that the majority ethnicity is represented by the same minimum percentage.

And then when small businesses who hire family members, or even don't have enough employees to meet quotas to begin with can get into strife (for example, what happens to a small business with 10 employees with 7 black employees and 3 white employees when rations require 60% POC vs 40% white people) and could even lead to discussions about who qualifies as "white" (do Jews, Greeks, Italians, Arabs and Hispanics count as white?). This could lead down a very interesting rabbit hole. Very interesting indeed
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:56 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:A better compromise in option 3 would be to require affirmative action laws to also stipulate that the majority ethnicity is represented by the same minimum percentage.

Wellh, that's sort-of what option 1B does - but, then again, that's meant for nations with affirmative action already in place. Option 3B, again, is supposed to contrast this with the angle of "freeing up the market" and "letting them do their thing, but also let everyone else do their own" (as opposed to 1B, which is the polar opposite).

Option 3A, on the other hand. Now that could involve dual affirmative action - it'd be an interesting way of getting that without already having affirmative action, to be sure... and, in fact, I think I'll go ahead and change that. (changed that by the time I posted this ftr)

Course, I have 0 idea as to how to go about effect lines for this, so, any help I could get would be appreciated. :)

Australian rePublic wrote:And then when small businesses who hire family members, or even don't have enough employees to meet quotas to begin with can get into strife (for example, what happens to a small business with 10 employees with 7 black employees and 3 white employees when rations require 60% POC vs 40% white people) and could even lead to discussions about who qualifies as "white" (do Jews, Greeks, Italians, Arabs and Hispanics count as white?). This could lead down a very interesting rabbit hole. Very interesting indeed

This would be very interesting, to be sure! I'm not really sure how I'd go about it in the NS world, though, and it definitely wouldn't fit in this draft.

That said, this could hypothetically bring up an entirely different issue regarding affirmative action. :)
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:23 pm

You should write that issue Aussie. There's a lot of RL weirdness going on with how different nations define different ethnicities, like the USA calling a dark-skinned Arab "White", while calling a light-skinned Spaniard "Hispanic".

In the context of a nation with an affirmative action policy, these oddities of definition suddenly become very important.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:43 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:You should write that issue Aussie. There's a lot of RL weirdness going on with how different nations define different ethnicities, like the USA calling a dark-skinned Arab "White", while calling a light-skinned Spaniard "Hispanic".
Wait, seriously? They distinguish multiple European ethnicities but then just lump Arabs in with the dominant European ethnicity?

I guess Hispanics are a more prominent issue due to the US bordering Mexico, but still.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:48 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:You should write that issue Aussie. There's a lot of RL weirdness going on with how different nations define different ethnicities, like the USA calling a dark-skinned Arab "White", while calling a light-skinned Spaniard "Hispanic".
Wait, seriously? They distinguish multiple European ethnicities but then just lump Arabs in with the dominant European ethnicity?

I guess Hispanics are a more prominent issue due to the US bordering Mexico, but still.

It's all political and historical, sadly.

Sadly, because that history is a mish-mash of racist attitudes and corruption. Interesting stuff though. Short version for Arabs is that at the time of mass Arab migration to the USA (circa 1909), that nation had a shedload of inbuilt racism that gave actual tangible advantage to being white, and the Arabs didn't want to be "second class", so lobbied hard and won court cases to be counted amongst the upper stratum of race.

It's more complex than that of course, but that's the tldr version.

A good read:
https://gen.medium.com/my-name-is-ahmed ... 46e9372c88
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:38 pm

That article doesn't mention Hispanics. It says "White" is defined as "a person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, North Africa, or the Middle East", which should include Spain and Portugal.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:12 am

I'm genuinely surprised middle easterns are considered white, to be honest. And, yes, most people from Latin America would be considered Hispanic White, which is, even in our US census, considered different. It's even more complicated because sometimes they're lumped in separately from Non-Hispanic white, but other times, if you choose "white", you then have a followup choice of whether you're Hispanic or not.

What's even more confusing is Hispanic - in its name - somewhat implies Portuguese or Spanish, but, I admit, I genuinely have no idea if it actually does. It's all blurry and mainly geopolitical. Which, y'know, again, would make for a great nationstates issue (please consider making an issue on this aussie <3).

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:30 pm

I wanted to bump this a while ago, but didn't want to until I thought up some effect lines - which, I couldn't.

Finally got around to it. They're not my best work (they never are), but I hope they're sufficient.

Also just realized I missed Trot's comment (first post after draft post); made adjustments. Hopefully the change to option 3A addresses the initial concern with that option (since it now does what 1B did, in a sense.)

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:48 pm

Bearing in mind that you've given this a Validity requirement of high Inclusivity isn't the presumption that minorities have been treated worse than the majority a bit off? Having the Validity as a more middling level of Inclusivity (perhaps one of "within the interquartile range"?) would seem more appropriate, in my opinion.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:19 pm

"Big Max Inc."
Add a validity for capitalist nations.
also known as pacific shores
author of sc #434
professional slab worshipper
lieutenant of the south pacific special forces
2023 ananke award co-winner
Rosartemis wrote:DOWN WITH UEPU THOSE DAMNED RAIDERS!

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:43 pm

Consider it done. :P

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:20 pm

Bears Armed wrote:Bearing in mind that you've given this a Validity requirement of high Inclusivity isn't the presumption that minorities have been treated worse than the majority a bit off? Having the Validity as a more middling level of Inclusivity (perhaps one of "within the interquartile range"?) would seem more appropriate, in my opinion.

Good point. Hmm. Actually this whole issue could probably work for nations with moderate and high validities now that you mention it. And I'm not proud enough of the effect line to add more validity restrictions.

Seriously. I don't know what to make their effect lines read >.> (That said 3a's effect line could be the same as 1b's but I don't even feel like that one's executed as well as it could be.)

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:34 pm

Gonna bump this little sucker. Made a couple of tiny adjustments; hopefully 3A looks a little less sorry a state.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?